What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

TE O.J. Howard, Raiders (1 Viewer)

Bucs head coach Bruce Arians said O.J. Howard (Achilles) should be ready to participate in the team's offseason program. 

Arians said Howard hasn't suffered any setbacks in his recovery from an Achilles injury he sustained in Week 5. Howard functioned as Tampa's primary pass-catching tight end before his injury, catching 11 of 19 targets for 146 yards and two touchdowns in four games last year. He saw more targets and produced more receptions, yardage, and touchdowns than Rob Gronkowski. “What a huge addition to have him back because he was having a great year,” Arians said. “I think, again, the sky’s the limit for what he can do in this offense.” Howard, 26, could retake the role Cameron Brate took over near the end of the 2020 season. 

RELATED: 

Cameron Brate

, Rob Gronkowski

SOURCE: ProFootballTalk.com 

Mar 31, 2021, 11:32 AM ET

Bucs coach Bruce Arians expects TE O.J. Howard (Achilles) to be ready for training camp. 

“Yeah, he’s really close now,” Arians said. “He looks fantastic working out every day.” Headed into his age-27 campaign, Howard went down last Week 5. Arians has spent much of the offseason talking up his tight end's recovery. Howard was catching a non-trivial amount of passes from Tom Brady before his injury, but Rob Gronkowski has been re-signed while Cameron Brate remains. His road to fantasy value is long in the Bucs' crowded offense. The No. 19 overall pick of the 2017 draft will be playing for a new deal in 2021. 

SOURCE: Profootballtalk on NBCSports.com 

May 15, 2021, 10:25 PM ET

In 4 games last year (I can only imagine it was closer to the 3 depending on when he got hurt) he had 19 targets, 11 catches, 146 yards, 2 TDs. Looked decent with Brady.

...but is this the year to buy? There's only reasons to expect him to underwhelm in 2021, but he's a free agent in 2022.

Grahamburn said:
Dirk Koetter features the TE.  Arians doesn't. 
That's an excellent point and makes me wonder why someone doesn't TRADE FOR OJ Howard, i think the guy has a lot of god given talent and would like to see him paired with a coach that understand better how to exploit what he can do. 

Just my feelings, big fan of the guy and i know he has shortcomings as well. 

That's an excellent point and makes me wonder why someone doesn't TRADE FOR OJ Howard, i think the guy has a lot of god given talent and would like to see him paired with a coach that understand better how to exploit what he can do. 

Just my feelings, big fan of the guy and i know he has shortcomings as well. 
I'm guessing it's because the bucs would need to trade him away and they don't seem to want to do so. 

It sucks for those of us with him on our teams, but even if he isn't one of their top targets, he'll be involved as a blocking TE. that's one of his strengths, so while his value may not show on the stat sheet, the bucs are an even better team when he plays. 

I'm guessing it's because the bucs would need to trade him away and they don't seem to want to do so. 

It sucks for those of us with him on our teams, but even if he isn't one of their top targets, he'll be involved as a blocking TE. that's one of his strengths, so while his value may not show on the stat sheet, the bucs are an even better team when he plays. 
OJ and Gronk on the field at the same time in 12 or 13 personnel is a nightmare for defenses. 

OJs second season under Koetter was very solid on a per game basis. If he went to a team that featured him as a receiver he would excel if he could stay healthy. 

OJ and Gronk on the field at the same time in 12 or 13 personnel is a nightmare for defenses. 

OJs second season under Koetter was very solid on a per game basis. If he went to a team that featured him as a receiver he would excel if he could stay healthy. 
OJ, gronk and Evans would be really tough to cover. And that doesn't include Godwin or brown. 

Brady is set up to have his best season ever (statistically).

He's the epitome of a bust when comparing his hype to production.  I hope Pitts doesn't have a similar fate.

He's the epitome of a bust when comparing his hype to production.  I hope Pitts doesn't have a similar fate.
For fantasy only, ok. Really though, OJ hasn't been a bust for the bucs. 

Pitts is hyped a LOT more than OJ was. the primary concern with Howard at the time was lack of stats while at Alabama.  Much of that lack of stats was due to his blocking ability. 

https://bucswire.usatoday.com/2020/01/16/this-o-j-howard-stat-proves-he-was-an-effective-tight-end-this-year/

according to ESPN, Howard did a great job in one particular area this year. In their 2019 advanced statistics awards, ESPN said that according to the stats, Howard was the league’s best pass-blocking tight end.

:shrug:

For fantasy only, ok. Really though, OJ hasn't been a bust for the bucs. 

Pitts is hyped a LOT more than OJ was. the primary concern with Howard at the time was lack of stats while at Alabama.  Much of that lack of stats was due to his blocking ability. 

https://bucswire.usatoday.com/2020/01/16/this-o-j-howard-stat-proves-he-was-an-effective-tight-end-this-year/

according to ESPN, Howard did a great job in one particular area this year. In their 2019 advanced statistics awards, ESPN said that according to the stats, Howard was the league’s best pass-blocking tight end.

:shrug:
His pass blocking won't help a fantasy team.  400 to 500 yards and 5 or 6 TDs earlier in his career isn't horrible, but he had 1 TD in 2019 and just over 400 yards.  Last year doesn't really count given he only played 4 games, but still, nothing exciting from Howard IMO.  I agree that Pitts is hyped a lot more than Howard, but I do distinctly remember Howard getting a lot of hype in fantasy circles when he was drafted.

His pass blocking won't help a fantasy team.  400 to 500 yards and 5 or 6 TDs earlier in his career isn't horrible, but he had 1 TD in 2019 and just over 400 yards.  Last year doesn't really count given he only played 4 games, but still, nothing exciting from Howard IMO.  I agree that Pitts is hyped a lot more than Howard, but I do distinctly remember Howard getting a lot of hype in fantasy circles when he was drafted.
We'll agree that so far he has under performed many expectations in fantasy, including mine.  

Being a great blocking TE does tend to keep you on the field which can give opportunities. But with the other receiving options, we shouldn't expect much from OJ this year.  

Part of my point here is regarding those who wonder why teams don't trade for him. I'm pretty sure it's not a lack of interest from others, they're going to protect Brady.

Last edited by a moderator:
On Friday, O.J. Howard practiced for first time since tearing his Achilles last October.

Howard was Tampa Bay's first round pick in 2017. He averaged 2.05 yards per route run through the first two years of his career and looked to be an emerging star at tight end. In 2019 his production fell off, however, as he delivered just 33 receiving yards per game with 1.22 YPRR. His 2020 season showed promise for a rebound, but it was ultimately cut short after four games. Howard will play this season on his fifth-year option, and will be a free agent following the season. Hopefully he can recapture his early career form.

RELATED: 

Cameron Brate

, Rob Gronkowski

SOURCE: Greg Auman on Twitter

Jul 30, 2021, 10:31 AM ET

O.J. Howard (Achiles) was absent from the Bucs' Week 1 injury report.

Howard practiced in full this week and will be out there for a potentially high-scoring affair with the Cowboys. Howard is worth a flier for TE2 desperados in 14-plus team leagues. 

Sep 9, 2021, 7:37 PM ET

O.J. Howard was held without a target in the Bucs' Week 1 win over the Cowboys.

Per Pro Football Focus, Howard played only six snaps to Rob Gronkowski's 57 and Cameron Brate's 19. Gronk, of course, went bonkers for 8/90/2 as a pass catcher. Coach Bruce Arians said Howard "(wasn't) there yet" from his torn Achilles' tendon a month ago, and that is evidently still the case. Howard will probably eventually mix in for some big plays but nothing resembling consistent re-draft value.

Bills signed TE O.J. Howard, formerly of the Bucs, to a one-year, $3.5 million contract.

Solid past five minutes for the Bills, getting Howard in the fold after adding Von Miller on a six-year, $120 million pact. Howard, the No. 19 overall pick of the 2017 draft, had a respectably solid first three seasons in the league with a combined 140-1,456-12 line across 36 games but tore his Achilles' early in 2020 and took a distant back seat to Rob Gronkowski and even Cameron Brate the last two years. In Buffalo, Howard gives the Bills another athletic complement to Dawson Knox with Howard more of an in-line asset. It would free Knox up to catch more passes.

RELATED: 

Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Mar 16, 2022, 6:51 PM ET

One of the worst places I can think of for him to land. He'll block a lot. He's going to hang on in this league as an in-line guy, I guess, even though he shows juice whenever they let him roam.  

He could only get one year? His play was very good when he was on the field. Arians buried his career, really. 

Dropping him in dynasty, just don't have room and can't wait anymore. Bummer as I think he does have the skills to be a high level producer.

I'm about the same with him. I'm tempted not to protect him (we have forty man protected rosters in our league, with up to fifty-one for the season). Then again, if Knox ever got hurt...but that's not the proper process, really. 

Makes me think the Bills might be going 2 TE sets quite a bit. 

One of the worst places I can think of for him to land. He'll block a lot. He's going to hang on in this league as an in-line guy, I guess, even though he shows juice whenever they let him roam.  

He could only get one year? His play was very good when he was on the field. Arians buried his career, really. 
He'll be awesome behind Knox and the top line WRs with a guy like Josh Allen who can exploit a TE, he's free from Arians, I bet he has a career year and I've always been a fan of his. There was a stretch at some point where he was flashing mad skills. Not sure why he couldn't connect with Brady. 

Dropping him in dynasty, just don't have room and can't wait anymore. Bummer as I think he does have the skills to be a high level producer.
You don't get to the NFL without having skills, but he is simply not a very good NFL player.  We have five seasons of evidence now.  

This is wildly untrue. TEs not only take long to develop, they're buried in an Arians system. "My tight ends are there to block," he has repeated ad nauseum. 
Ehhh I gotta disagree with you on this one. He’s really not good. He is certainly not a blocker. Maybe the Achilles injury sapped his speed? 

Gronk had a huge year in this offense. It’s not the lack of tight end usage. 

Ehhh I gotta disagree with you on this one. He’s really not good. He is certainly not a blocker. Maybe the Achilles injury sapped his speed? 

I also disagree. From a 2020 article about O.J. Howard

"But, according to ESPN, Howard did a great job in one particular area this year. In their 2019 advanced statistics awards, ESPN said that according to the stats, Howard was the league’s best pass-blocking tight end.

“Bucs coach Bruce Arians never relied on Howard all that much as a receiver this season. But the young tight end did play a role in the passing game with a 98% PBWR (pass block win rate).”

That’s a big accomplishment for sure, but Howard probably wishes he could have been used more as a pass catcher than a blocker. Still, it shouldn’t come as much of a surprise when you consider Arians said this about his tight ends with the Arizona Cardinals back in 2015:

“We pay Larry (Fitzgerald) and those guys too much money to throw it to the tight ends. They’re here to block.”

Looks like Howard did well in that regard at least."

This is wildly untrue. TEs not only take long to develop, they're buried in an Arians system. "My tight ends are there to block," he has repeated ad nauseum. 

Josh Allen is either going to push him up to notoriety or push him off the roster. A lot of folks suddenly become relevant around this rising star at QB. If Howard can get on the field then Allen will find him like he does everyone else. The Buffalo offense isn't built around just 1 guy, well it is built around Allen but many different folks get to catch TDs from Allen and I think OJ landed in a great spot IF he can actually build an NFL career. Because Cap is right in one sense that he couldn't get it done in Tampa Bay. But prior to Arians I thought I saw some potential from Howard. The injury plays a role but I want to see him one more time in an offense like Buffalo and he just might surprise some folks. 

I'm about the same with him. I'm tempted not to protect him (we have forty man protected rosters in our league, with up to fifty-one for the season). Then again, if Knox ever got hurt...but that's not the proper process, really. 

Makes me think the Bills might be going 2 TE sets quite a bit. 
Buffalo pretty much hasn’t hidden it at all that they were looking to add a potential impact TE and go to more 2 TE sets. They were rumored to be interested in both Gronk and Engram before Engram signed for what he signed for and Brady came back.

I think Buffalo has too many weapons for Howard to be a significant fantasy impact, but I do think they intend to use him a good amount as a threat in the passing game. Having two guys in the middle of the field who can both run block but also stretch a defense vertically puts a lot of stress in a defense and should open up a bit more running room as well. The Bills will be moving from a man blocking scheme to a zone blocking scheme, so having another TE that can both block and be a threat in the passing game can do more sometimes than an undersized slot receiver.

I also disagree. From a 2020 article about O.J. Howard

"But, according to ESPN, Howard did a great job in one particular area this year. In their 2019 advanced statistics awards, ESPN said that according to the stats, Howard was the league’s best pass-blocking tight end.

“Bucs coach Bruce Arians never relied on Howard all that much as a receiver this season. But the young tight end did play a role in the passing game with a 98% PBWR (pass block win rate).”

That’s a big accomplishment for sure, but Howard probably wishes he could have been used more as a pass catcher than a blocker. Still, it shouldn’t come as much of a surprise when you consider Arians said this about his tight ends with the Arizona Cardinals back in 2015:

“We pay Larry (Fitzgerald) and those guys too much money to throw it to the tight ends. They’re here to block.”

Looks like Howard did well in that regard at least."
That’s 3 years ago. They used Cam Brate instead of him in-line this year and Brate is a glorified wide-out. I don’t know what happened to him but he’s not that guy now. If he were, he would have got more than 3.5

That’s 3 years ago. They used Cam Brate instead of him in-line this year and Brate is a glorified wide-out. I don’t know what happened to him but he’s not that guy now. If he were, he would have got more than 3.5
Once Brady came aboard the offense (rightfully) changed and TE became a bigger part.

I was unaware that Brate was used that way and he probably would have gotten more than one year and 3.5 million if the film was different. Point conceded, really. 

I was unaware that Brate was used that way and he probably would have gotten more than one year and 3.5 million if the film was different. Point conceded, really. 
He was a good player those first two years. I wish he worked out - I thought he was going to be a superstar out of college. Maybe he can turn his career around now. 

He was a good player those first two years. I wish he worked out - I thought he was going to be a superstar out of college. Maybe he can turn his career around now. 
He was a focal point with Koetter. When Arians got here he was an afterthought. I hope he revives his career in Buffalo. He didn’t seem as explosive after the injury, but we didn’t get to see him much. And when we did he seemed to make mistakes. Best of luck, OJ. 

Users who are viewing this thread