What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Teacher feeds puppy to his turtle in front of students. (1 Viewer)

Hilts

Footballguy
My link.

I think it's interesting the outrage seems to be coming from outside the town. 

IDAHO

COMMUNITY SHOWS SUPPORT FOR IDAHO TEACHER WHO FED PUPPY TO SNAPPING TURTLE

The community of Preston is defending Robert Crosland, and a petition supporting him has garnered 2,500 signatures.

Thousands have signed a petition to show their support for an Idaho teacher who has gone viral after feeding a puppy to a snapping turtle.

It's a story many have found disturbing but students, both past and present, and community members have taken to social media and signed their name on a petition to defend the Preston Junior High teacher.

Preston School District Superintendent Marc Gee says the incident happened last week when Robert Crosland fed a puppy to a snapping turtle after school hours where students were present.

It's still unclear if the dog was dead or alive but either way Crosland has caught a lot of heat on social media after the story went viral.

Despite outrage, a petition supporting Crosland has garnered 2,500 signatures.

KTVB reached out to supporters, including Matthew Durrant who is a Preston native and has been in Crosland's class when prey has been fed to a reptile.

"To be honest Mr. Crosland is a legendary teacher in Preston, everyone knows who he is, everyone knows the caliber of teacher he is," says Durrant.

Durrant says people wouldn't be so quick to criticize Crosland if he would have fed the snapping turtle a less cute animal.

"The only reason the puppy is more important than the rat is because we as a culture place more value on that then the rat," says Durrant.

Many of Crosland's supporters echoed this same opinion but declined to talk when asked for an interview.

Local wildlife expert Corbin Maxey works closely with snapping turtles and other animals and says reptiles are great for the classroom and do eat live prey, but a snapping turtle would never come across a puppy in the wild.

"Snapping turtles in the wild are very opportunistic but they would mainly eat fish, frogs, even other turtles. In the wild, snapping turtles would never eat puppies, so I don't understand why he thought this was something educational, especially in front of students I just don't understand," says Maxey.

My link.

I think it's interesting the outrage seems to be coming from outside the town. 
I don’t think it’s interesting at all. Those outside the town don’t know the guy so they don’t give him a free pass or the benefit of the doubt. Seems pretty normal to me.  :shrug:

Huh? What sort of impetus impels or causes one to do this?  They're our favored pets as humans and the logic of tradition, rather than the logic of theory, dictates that you don't feed a puppy to a turtle in front of children, regardless of the point you're trying to prove.  

No sale on this one. 

Ah, I see. But the article indicates three times that he fed the turtle and actual puppy. Not a rat named "puppy."

The article linked in the OP is wrong then. I just re-read it, and it says he fed a dog to the turtle.  
He's joking. It was an actual puppy. The puppy was reportedly sick and wouldn't eat or drink and they knew it was dying. There are some reports saying the puppy was drowned and other reports saying the puppy was alive (I tend to believe the reports saying it was drowned but don't actually know), but all reports agree it was fed to the turtle. 

He's joking. It was an actual puppy. The puppy was reportedly sick and wouldn't eat or drink and they knew it was dying. There are some reports saying the puppy was drowned and other reports saying the puppy was alive (I tend to believe the reports saying it was drowned but don't actually know), but all reports agree it was fed to the turtle. 
The more details that come to the fore, the more morbid this story becomes. Yeesh. I'll show myself out.  

Someone — McKay didn’t know who — brought a sick, deformed and abandoned puppy to Crosland, a man reportedly well-known for taking in hurt and sick animals.

Three boys were in the classroom, helping Crosland feed his animals after school had ended.

The puppy was dying. Crosland couldn’t get the puppy to eat or drink, McKay said, and was beyond saving. The person who brought it in knew it needed to be put down.

“It was going to die, and either they could take it to the vet and pay to have it euthanized or they could feed his animals and let his animals live because theirs wasn’t going to,” McKay said.

Crosland put the puppy into the snapping turtle’s tank, where it drowned and was eaten, according to McKay.

Another link.

He might as well just start feeding the kids to the turtle next.    They're all just going to grow up to be serial killers now.  I really don't see the problem.  The guy is a legend.

Might as well.  I mean, the only reason the child is more important than the rat is because we as a culture place more value on that then the rat.
like sparta.  identify the exceptional one's and feed the rest to the rodents and reptiles.  

I agree that society places an irrational premium or higher sentiment on dogs.  But, I don't get what the hell this guy was trying to do here or why. 

He11, I feed my daughter to my two Mississippi Map Turtles when times got tough. Priorities people

That's supposed to be better?  :confused:

Idaho officials were terrified that the turle had developed a taste for puppy flesh. C’mon, didn’t you watch Snapper III, Puppy Love? (No, the other one, with the real turtles)
I didn't want to laugh. But lol.

“It was going to die, and either they could take it to the vet and pay to have it euthanized or they could feed his animals and let his animals live because theirs wasn’t going to,” McKay said.
I disagree these are the only two options. For example, the teacher could have put novichok in the puppies’ luggage, or he could have microwaved the puppy.  

I have invasive Brown Marmorated Stink Bugs in my house.  Do you think I can get the Department of Agriculture to take care of those for me?

I found myself laughing much more than I should have after reading the story and the aftermath.

"Terrified that the turtle would develop a taste for puppy flesh." :lol:  

"Durrant says people wouldn't be so quick to criticize Crosland if he would have fed the snapping turtle a less cute animal." :lol:

"The only reason the puppy is more important than the rat is because we as a culture place more value on that then the rat," says Durrant. :bag:  

He's supposed to a great teacher, but made a curious error in judgment. No way should he lose his job over this.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread