What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ted Lasso (Apple TV - Season 3 coming March 2023!!!) (1 Viewer)

Ghost Rider

Footballguy
Felt like this amazing show needed its own thread.

So ready for Season 3. I finally got around to watching this a few months ago, and it was so great that I have already busted through Seasons 1 and 2 a second time. The combination of comedy and drama couldn't be better. This show made me laugh so hard a couple times that I had tears running down my face. Already one of the greats, IMO.

It is the most feel good TV I have ever watched (and I watch a lot of tv). They get every note right with out over doing it. I hope season 3 can live up to the first 2 near perfect seasons.
I just binged both seasons and this sums it perfectly. Show just makes you feel good, can’t wait for season.

incredibly mad at Nate right now but I see a redemption arc for him.

It is the most feel good TV I have ever watched (and I watch a lot of tv). They get every note right with out over doing it. I hope season 3 can live up to the first 2 near perfect seasons.
Agreed. They manage to do the drama just right without it ever feeling like it is too much or melodramatic.
I just binged both seasons and this sums it perfectly. Show just makes you feel good, can’t wait for season.

incredibly mad at Nate right now but I see a redemption arc for him.
I do as well, but I think it will be for the good of Ted's mental health, not because Nate went from being a jerk (which he always kind of was, largely thanks to his dad) to a hero all of a sudden. Assuming he has some success with West Ham, Nate will still be wondering when any praise or compliment from his father is coming.

Yes...great show...Season 3 sometime early 2023. Filming was wrapped at one point, but seems they went back and did more.
Unfortunately looks like season 3 is the end though...that was sort of the plan, but once it took off they contemplated doing more. But when filming wrapped, Bill Lawrence tweeted something about it being sad to wrap (IIRC), but there were other issues that caused delays (and Lawrence isn't running the show as much as seasons 1-2 as he has other projects for WB and Apple +)

Yes...great show...Season 3 sometime early 2023. Filming was wrapped at one point, but seems they went back and did more.
Unfortunately looks like season 3 is the end though...that was sort of the plan, but once it took off they contemplated doing more. But when filming wrapped, Bill Lawrence tweeted something about it being sad to wrap (IIRC), but there were other issues that caused delays (and Lawrence isn't running the show as much as seasons 1-2 as he has other projects for WB and Apple +)
I am fine with there being only three seasons if that is what the story requires. I wouldn't want to see a show this great go on too long and dilute its overall greatness (ala Dexter).

Really surprised that there wasn't a thread already.

I was late to the party and binged seasons 1 and 2 over about a three week period. I remember texting a group of friends and saying "I can't say this is the greatest show ever, but I'm pretty sure no other show has made me feel as happy as this show does after an episode."

I was late to the party and binged seasons 1 and 2 over about a three week period. I remember texting a group of friends and saying "I can't say this is the greatest show ever, but I'm pretty sure no other show has made me feel as happy as this show does after an episode."
I actually thought there was a thread. We have watched the series around ten times. Ironically, we started it again last night. Higgins is so underrated...

Was mentioned many times in the streaming threads but no specific thread that I recall.

Understand keeping the show tight narrative-wise and making it a limited series but feel they really could have easily done more than 3 seasons without the quality suffering at all. Yeah you don’t want to drag things out for 8 to 10 seasons but 3 is too short. I could have watched Roy Kent do sports commentator highlights for a full season. Or they could have put more into Nate’s heel-turn which came so suddenly IMO.

Or they could have put more into Nate’s heel-turn which came so suddenly IMO.

they gently layered this into the show. Every scene Nate has with his dad leads ultimately to the turn.
Yea I kinda saw that coming from a ways off. Nate kept getting saltier with his language/insults/emotions as the season went on. Wasn't hard to see how it was going to resolve itself. Every time someone mentioned the suit Ted bought for him he cringed a little more until finally he snapped and bought his own. He got a taste of success and some love and it went to his head. His relationship with Dad exacerbates it.

Speaking of, notice how many characters in the series have Daddy issues? I feel like there is an underlying theme there some place. Or maybe we all just have more Daddy issues than I know about and it's reality :shrug:

I went in thinking it was just going to be a funny sitcom hitting all the marks as it goes on. I was so pleasantly surprised at how much more of a show it was. It hits on so many life lessons and ways to live your life that it really is one of the best shows ever when looking at the whole picture. The duration is really the only thing holding it back from being one of the greatest.

Agreed.

they gently layered this into the show. Every scene Nate has with his dad leads ultimately to the turn.
Yea I kinda saw that coming from a ways off. Nate kept getting saltier with his language/insults/emotions as the season went on. Wasn't hard to see how it was going to resolve itself. Every time someone mentioned the suit Ted bought for him he cringed a little more until finally he snapped and bought his own. He got a taste of success and some love and it went to his head. His relationship with Dad exacerbates it.

Speaking of, notice how many characters in the series have Daddy issues? I feel like there is an underlying theme there some place. Or maybe we all just have more Daddy issues than I know about and it's reality :shrug:
Yep, and if you rewatch both seasons, Nate's bad tendencies were always there. Hell, his first scene was him yelling at Ted and Beard, two people he had never met, to get off the grass, and let's not forgot how he verbally attacked Rebecca when he thought he was getting fired late in S1 when he was actually getting promoted. The way he talks to people has always been wrapped in condescension and insecurity.

I wouldn’t say it was gently layered at all, they spent most of the season hammering us over the head with it. He’d been badmouthing the new kit boy since he first got promoted in the first season and someone else mentioned he was yelling at Ted the first time he met him that I had forgotten about.

I meant him turning heel so suddenly in the 2nd season and as early as like the 5th episode he is super pissed about Roy being hired (this is also the dinner reservation episode.) Most tv shows that kind of character beat would occur more in the 3rd or 4th season. But since they were committed to only doing 3 seasons they had to hit those notes much quicker to tell their full story and it appears have Nate the antagonist by season 3.

It makes for a tight narrative and good show but I do wish they had drawn this out more so we could have more Ted Lasso. I am sad it will end after only 3 seasons.

My wife was saying how our house was a disaster with kids toys all over, and I said something like "The kids toys are like Roy Kent". She laughed. She gets my really bad jokes, and that's how I know it's love.

Finished season 2 yesterday. It took a while to get through because I watched it an episode or two at a time with my family when we were together.

I didn't love S2 as much as S1. S1 was just the perfect show for its time in the very weird end of 2020. S2 also suffered a bit from thinner storylines for its characters. It's been a while since S1 but I think the first season had more Ted while S2 spread the ball around a bit more. In spite of my quibbles, it's still a lovely show and a great example of what can be done with the familiar workplace sitcom setup.

Btw, the Coach Beard episode was a fantastic hour of TV. Perfect way to focus on that character who is awesome.
That was actually my least favorite episode. Seemed so out of place to me and unlike any other episode. That was likely the point but it didn't hit home with me.

While the whole episode did not resonate with me, the pub fans getting to go through the underground tunnel and end up on the Nelson Road pitch was one of the high points of the series for me.

I know it’s the scene of the first two seasons everyone likely talks about, but the dart throwing scene is just a master class. So heartfelt so well acted. Just brilliant.
Agreed. I love how Ted called Rupert 'Rupe-A-Dupe,' a twist on rope a dope, as he was clearly doing that to Rupert. Rebecca's reaction to some of Ted's lines were phenomenal, especially when he mentioned how his father had died when he was 16. The Ted/Rebecca dynamic is awesome, as she was all Rachel Phelps at first, but she turned about to be anything but, as the layers of her character were peeled away. Amazing character development.
Btw, the Coach Beard episode was a fantastic hour of TV. Perfect way to focus on that character who is awesome.
That was actually my least favorite episode. Seemed so out of place to me and unlike any other episode. That was likely the point but it didn't hit home with me.

While the whole episode did not resonate with me, the pub fans getting to go through the underground tunnel and end up on the Nelson Road pitch was one of the high points of the series for me.
I think the end of it is awesome, when Beard dances at the club. I mean, don't we all want to just let loose once in a while and just let go and act like that? It's a very freeing scene.

Hmm. Guess I’m in the minority on this one. I watched and it just kept getting stupider and stupider to the point I couldn’t finish it. Way too contrived for my personal tastes and specifically Ted Lasso’s character.

Hmm. Guess I’m in the minority on this one. I watched and it just kept getting stupider and stupider to the point I couldn’t finish it. Way too contrived for my personal tastes and specifically Ted Lasso’s character.

I just enjoy the ability to just be nice no matter what as a disarming mechanism that softens even the hardest exterior (like the Rebecca transformation mentioned a few posts up).

If more people lived the Lasso way this world would be a much better place.

“Welcome to Wrexham” on Hulu has some real life Ted Lasso vibes.

Just wrapped up season 1 and there were some very great episodes. Recommended.
It's a good series.

While more depressing, I still think "Sunderland 'Til I Die" is better.
Have heard good things. The wife suddenly got interested in Wrexham when she discovered Ryan Reynolds was in it so will have to watch Sunderland on my own I think.

It's a good series.

Have heard good things. The wife suddenly got interested in Wrexham when she discovered Ryan Reynolds was in it so will have to watch Sunderland on my own I think.
Sunderland is way more intense and depressing and doesn't have the window dressing that Wrexham does.

I just enjoy the ability to just be nice no matter what as a disarming mechanism that softens even the hardest exterior (like the Rebecca transformation mentioned a few posts up).

If more people lived the Lasso way this world would be a much better place.
Damn right. I get that it might be too positive or feel-good for some, but with so many shows in recent decades with an anti-hero as the main protagonist (which works really well when done right, ala Breaking Bad, The Sopranos, etc.), it's nice to get a positive, feel-good show where the main character is super likable and is brimming with optimism and positivity, at least on the outside, as we are seeing how broken Ted is on the inside.

I think I speak for everyone in this thread when I say, we all collectively hate you a little more today.

Just kidding, there is no hate in the Ted Lasso thread T to the J dog!

It's a good series.

Sunderland is way more intense and depressing and doesn't have the window dressing that Wrexham does.

They just announced a third season of Sunderland, after a couple missed years. I also prefer it over Wrexham but both are good. Somewhat tempered by the fact we already know the results of their campaigns in these seasons and the fate of the players and managers. The drama of Sunderland feels a little more raw and not quite as production-heavy as Wrexham but both are excellent entertainment.

I've given my thoughts on Lasso in the other thread some time ago. I enjoyed the first season - particularly given the timeframe it came out in the heights of the covid stay-at-home stress - but tapped out early in the second season. The Christmas episode was the last straw for me. Agree that Rebecca has a fabulous dump truck.

Reactions: Zow
The Christmas episode was the last straw for me
I liked the Christmas episode. Sure it's a little sappy but that was kind of the point. Bringing the players together when they have no family around to be their own family was an awesome Lasso thing showing his influence is bringing them together. Then seeing Ted's struggles with being away from his family was good insight into how he was struggling inside while keeping the positive exterior for everyone else which is what brings them together.

The Christmas episode was the last straw for me
I liked the Christmas episode. Sure it's a little sappy but that was kind of the point. Bringing the players together when they have no family around to be their own family was an awesome Lasso thing showing his influence is bringing them together. Then seeing Ted's struggles with being away from his family was good insight into how he was struggling inside while keeping the positive exterior for everyone else which is what brings them together.

Not to mention when Roy smelled his niece's breath and said he thought she might be dying is one of the funniest bits I've seen on television, maybe ever.

Users who are viewing this thread