What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ted Lasso (Apple TV - Season 3 coming March 2023!!!) (2 Viewers)

Tony Soprano?

Wow, I watched a full season and never really noticed that was the backdrop for the story. I've only watched a season of The Sopranos. And The Wire, too. I'm a tough sell on television.

But I don't care so much about therapy per se. The way it was done is important, I guess.

Yeah 30 episodes of "Whaddya mean they can't use their hands?' over and over wouldn't have gotten old fast, nah

Considering this is the sport that spawned the book Among The Thugs and had a culture of violence rather than a culture of relationships around it, then yes, that was a put off.

not sure if you are jaded about therapy so much that

That’s what prompted that thread. That a million guys so universally hailed it as awesome when twenty years ago the therapy would have been a no-go or non-starter for a lot of guys. Look, you can all love a show for women. Just don't call it a show for men, even enlightened ones. My poor father had to sit and watch this show with my mother. I was at least able to walk out of the room when it was on.

I never really considered it a show for women or a show for men. Some people liked it while others didn’t. And that’s fine. I find your gendered take on it to be a little odd, but no worries, I’m not the slightest bit bothered by someone saying I enjoyed a show for women.

That a million guys so universally hailed it as awesome when twenty years ago the therapy would have been a no-go or non-starter for a lot of guys. Look, you can all love a show for women. Just don't call it a show for men, even enlightened ones.

I seem to recall Dr. Sidney Freedman on MASH ages ago - and you are starting to remind me of Frank Burns. ETA - wanted to make sure and add a ;) for @rockaction in case my lightheartedness didn’t come across.

We can move it to the therapy thread so as to not ruin this one but I think you are off base in your takes about it being a women’s show.

Last edited:
Tony Soprano?

Wow, I watched a full season and never really noticed that was the backdrop for the story. I've only watched a season of The Sopranos. And The Wire, too. I'm a tough sell on television.

But I don't care so much about therapy per se. The way it was done is important, I guess.

I’m guessing you watched a later season when Dr. Melfi’s role shifted from a lead actress to more of a supporting role. If it was an early season, it would take an astonishing lack of attention to detail to miss that Tony’s therapy sessions were a huge part of the backdrop of the show and the advancement of Tony’s character (with a lot of attention paid to therapy being taboo for “tough guys”). Lorraine Bracco was nominated for three lead actress Emmys (and one supporting actress Emmy late in the show’s run) and three Golden Globes for her portrayal of Dr. Melfi.

Tony Soprano?

I’m guessing you watched a later season when Dr. Melfi’s role shifted from a lead actress to more of a supporting role. If it was an early season, it would take an astonishing lack of attention to detail to miss that Tony’s therapy sessions were a huge part of the backdrop of the show and the advancement of Tony’s character (with a lot of attention paid to therapy being taboo for “tough guys”). Lorraine Bracco was nominated for three lead actress Emmys (and one supporting actress Emmy late in the show’s run) and three Golden Globes for her portrayal of Dr. Melfi.

Nah, it would just take watching it like a blackout alcoholic drunk like I was. Somebody that needed therapy or something like it. A chance to dry out. AA. You name it.

Great show. Clever writing, great acting, compelling characters. It was funny, light and even cultural. Enjoyed it immensely.

My wife loved the first season and fell asleep for most of seasons 2 and 3. So much for it being a chick show.

The only thing not good was the actors actually playing soccer. That was so bad that it was actually funny.

I never understood the posting a lot about stuff I don't like ...... guess its same as day 1 lol
I don’t mind “negative” discussion about a show - not everyone likes the same thing. I do find it funny that there was one guy in the Succession thread that posted after every episode about how terrible the writing and the acting was. This guy watched every episode from start to finish of a show he hated. I’m not sure who has time to watch 40 episodes of a show one hates.

I do think some people just like the attention that comes with an unpopular opinion.

I never understood the posting a lot about stuff I don't like ...... guess its same as day 1 lol
I don’t mind “negative” discussion about a show - not everyone likes the same thing. I do find it funny that there was one guy in the Succession thread that posted after every episode about how terrible the writing and the acting was. This guy watched every episode from start to finish of a show he hated. I’m not sure who has time to watch 40 episodes of a show one hates.

I do think some people just like the attention that comes with an unpopular opinion.
I think you nailed it.

Back to Ted Lasso...great show, one of the best ever. Literally, every person who has watched this show that I know has thought it was awesome, both men and women. Crazy, ain't it?

Ted Lasso wound up being pretty much a show about relationships and a chick show. Glad so many of you fellers enjoyed a show about therapy and relationships.

A show we needed right now. Yeah, I guess.

Yes, it was an ensemble workplace sitcom centered on the relationships of the characters. I hope you didn’t go in thinking it was going to be a show about football.
I agree with your first sentence, but the show was still centered around the EPL and particularly AFC Richmond. The fate of Ted's job and the team's standing was a central theme. It also showed what these English teams mean to their towns/fans. But sure, like most sitcoms, the "workplace" is merely the MacGuffin of the show.

Ted Lasso wound up being pretty much a show about relationships and a chick show. Glad so many of you fellers enjoyed a show about therapy and relationships.

Yes, it was an ensemble workplace sitcom centered on the relationships of the characters. I hope you didn’t go in thinking it was going to be a show about football.
I agree with your first sentence, but the show was still centered around the EPL and particularly AFC Richmond. The fate of Ted's job and the team's standing was a central theme. It also showed what these English teams mean to their towns/fans. But sure, like most sitcoms, the "workplace" is merely the MacGuffin of the show.
You don't see this word too often these days.

There was a movie in the late 70's called "The Double MacGuffin" co-starring Ernest Borgnine, George Kennedy, Ed 'Too Tall' Jones, Lyle Alzado, Orson Wells, Lisa Whelchel about a bunch of kids finding a dead body and a briefcase of money. It's not a very good movie, but I wish I could find it for purely nostalgic reasons.

Sure, there was a bunch about football in the show. Just like there was a bunch about paper sales in The Office. Even the creators stated very clearly that it wasn’t a football show. But I think we’re saying the same thing.

Last edited:
As someone who had issues with (in the past) and know many people - especially youth sports and anxiety in general - who struggle with panic attacks I loved how they hit it head on and addressed it.

In the macho world of sports, it showed you can still be an excellent coach/player despite these issues. Ted showed its nothing to be embarrassed about - its something that needs to be acknowledged and treated. The more this is out there to see the more people will not be embarrassed and go seek the help they need - even in sports.

In the macho world of sports,
I remember seeing Brandon Marshall being interviewed about his mental health issues and I though he came across as brilliant when discussing the stigma of mental health issues, especially in the testosterone filled sports world.

He started talking about how when you have a three year old daughter and she falls and scrapes her knee you run over and pick her up and kiss the "booboo", but when it's a boy he gets yelled at to "suck it up" or "rub some dirt on it" and pretend nothing is wrong.

He started talking about how when you have a three year old daughter and she falls and scrapes her knee you run over and pick her up and kiss the "booboo", but when it's a boy he gets yelled at to "suck it up" or "rub some dirt on it" and pretend nothing is wrong.

Marlo Thomas wanted to change that via feminism and recruited NFL'er Rosey Grier to let the little boys know that it's all right to cry.

From Free To Be . . . You and Me

I hope you didn’t go in thinking it was going to be a show about football.

I thought it would be a show about sports that hadn’t been quite networked, so to speak. Anyway, glad you all found something to watch that was edifying. I saw a network television show at its core.
Man, sometimes things are just GOOD. This show was one of them.

Um wow. I literally just finished binge watching the full show and for me it was so great and a bit emotional.

Ted Lasso and I have a couple things in common and many things not similar at all.

Similar:
Went through a difficult divorce.
Developed an issue with anxiety and had very similar episodes with extreme anxiety.
Had some childhood trauma that was/is still unresolved.
I also tried from the moment my ex and I separated that I would do everything in my power to make my 2 son’s my priority and sacrifice anything for them like Ted does.

Different:
I’m no professional coach or enjoy a hugely high profile or successful career.
I’m not as nice nor as optimistic as Ted. Who really could be-lol?
My divorce wasn’t as civil. My ex, cheated twice 1 time - then again after a 14 month separation.

What I loved about the show:

1. Little things (acts of kindness) are so great and can mean so much to someone else. The baking, remembering a birthday, listening, the little army men, being positive and the inclusion of all.

2. Panic attacks. I hate this name for it. To me, it’s a false descriptor, it’s so negative and perhaps why I denied their existence in my own life for so long. They were neither “panicky” in nature or an “attack”.

I am just glad to see the topic covered in positive way by the show. It brought back very painful memories and forced me to look at my own journey with them. There were things I did so poorly, and some things (like Ted) I handled exceptionally. I hope anyone who needs help, knows they aren’t alone and that help is there.

It’s funny - I read back the old i.dating thread from years ago that some of you might remember. The truth is, while there were some funny stories and memories. That guy was a mess and so much more was happening in my life that I couldn’t/wouldn’t share.

3. That our kids, should always be our main focus and inspiration in life. I think some people may have thought the ending was weak, but not me. I loved the humble and understated way Ted gave up a great life, friends, money and career and to be there for his son.

4. The power of forgiveness. The understanding that true forgiveness doesn’t let the offender off the hook, but is more about clearing space in heart/mind for the good stuff. It’s a freeing thing.

Anywho - I loved it. Thank you Ted!

Last edited:

Wow. What a great review of this. But even more so, HELLO!?!?! It's so nice to see your name pop up back here again. And weirdly enough, just a couple of weeks ago I came across some emails we'd exchanged during your iDating years. Welcome back.

Wow. What a great review of this. But even more so, HELLO!?!?! It's so nice to see your name pop up back here again. And weirdly enough, just a couple of weeks ago I came across some emails we'd exchanged during your iDating years. Welcome back.

Awww Krista, you are a gem. I can’t even imagine what those emails contain!

There was a post that struck me in particular where I snapped at you and was insensitive. I’m so sorry.

Like I said, reading it all back I just remembered at times - not being at my best. That was certainly one of them.

I hope you are well. Feel free to reach to out.

There was a post that struck me in particular where I snapped at you and was insensitive. I’m so sorry.

Like I said, reading it all back I just remembered at times - not being at my best. That was certainly one of them.

I have absolutely no idea of your being anything but a gem yourself, and you shouldn't either. :thumbup:

Marlo Thomas wanted to change that via feminism and recruited NFL'er Rosey Grier to let the little boys know that it's all right to cry.

From Free To Be . . . You and Me

Wow, you have no idea what flood gate of good memories you've opened referencing Free To Be...You and Me. Thank you.

Wow, you have no idea what flood gate of good memories you've opened referencing Free To Be...You and Me. Thank you.

Anything you want to share? I'm interested. I always tease my mother about having that album and making us listen to it in our youth.

They did a television special inspired by the record. The opening song and credits are something else. There are children on a carousel and it's going around and around. It's pretty cool because when it comes to the credit of "Kris Kristofferson," a young man almost leaps off of his horse and blows a bubble at the camera. Something perfectly boyish and innocent. Let me see if I can find it.

Um wow. I literally just finished binge watching the full show and for me it was so great and a bit emotional.

Ted Lasso and I have a couple things in common and many things not similar at all.

Similar:
Went through a difficult divorce.
Developed an issue with anxiety and had very similar episodes with extreme anxiety.
Had some childhood trauma that was/is still unresolved.
I also tried from the moment my ex and I separated that I would do everything in my power to make my 2 son’s my priority and sacrifice anything for them like Ted does.

Different:
I’m no professional coach or enjoy a hugely high profile or successful career.
I’m not as nice nor as optimistic as Ted. Who really could be-lol?
My divorce wasn’t as civil. My ex, cheated twice 1 time - then again after a 14 month separation.

What I loved about the show:

1. Little things (acts of kindness) are so great and can mean so much to someone else. The baking, remembering a birthday, listening, the little army men, being positive and the inclusion of all.

2. Panic attacks. I hate this name for it. To me, it’s a false descriptor, it’s so negative and perhaps why I denied their existence in my own life for so long. They were neither “panicky” in nature or an “attack”.

I am just glad to see the topic covered in positive way by the show. It brought back very painful memories and forced me to look at my own journey with them. There were things I did so poorly, and some things (like Ted) I handled exceptionally. I hope anyone who needs help, knows they aren’t alone and that help is there.

It’s funny - I read back the old i.dating thread from years ago that some of you might remember. The truth is, while there were some funny stories and memories. That guy was a mess and so much more was happening in my life that I couldn’t/wouldn’t share.

3. That our kids, should always be our main focus and inspiration in life. I think some people may have thought the ending was weak, but not me. I loved the humble and understated way Ted gave up a great life, friends, money and career and to be there for his son.

4. The power of forgiveness. The understanding that true forgiveness doesn’t let the offender off the hook, but is more about clearing space in heart/mind for the good stuff. It’s a freeing thing.

Well said! Plenty of great takeaways. :hifive:

I have absolutely no idea of your being anything but a gem yourself, and you shouldn't either. :thumbup:
Ted, is that you? ;)

Started a rewatch last week. Just so damn good.

There’s a scene in s1e8 where Higgins is talking to Rebecca about giving more seats to the visiting team because Rupert will hate it. Higgins said:

“You won’t take away your pain by constantly punishing Rupert”.

Just a great life lesson that bitterness and revenge almost always consume the person who was wronged and doesn’t make you feel better.

Started a rewatch last week. Just so damn good.

There’s a scene in s1e8 where Higgins is talking to Rebecca about giving more seats to the visiting team because Rupert will hate it. Higgins said:

“You won’t take away your pain by constantly punishing Rupert”.

Just a great life lesson that bitterness and revenge almost always consume the person who was wronged and doesn’t make you feel better.

I dunno man there's like 4 John Wick movies that prove the opposite.

Anything you want to share? I'm interested. I always tease my mother about having that album and making us listen to it in our youth.

They did a television special inspired by the record. The opening song and credits are something else. There are children on a carousel and it's going around and around. It's pretty cool because when it comes to the credit of "Kris Kristofferson," a young man almost leaps off of his horse and blows a bubble at the camera. Something perfectly boyish and innocent. Let me see if I can find it.
I didn't know there was an album. I only knew the show. I saw it for the first time in the back AV room of our local library in Whitefish Bay, a small suburb of Milwaukee. I had just moved to town, was maybe 8 years old. I watched that show with some other kids, just drawn to the storyline. I met my first set of friends there, one of which (if memory serves, he was there) is my oldest friend (I'm 51 now). We watched that movie a handful of times that summer, drawn to the library, drawn to the story, maybe the production, drawn to the playtime in the park and trees afterwards, all within a 5 minute walk of my house.

So not so much the show, but what it was at a certain point of my life and what it helped to create. I do remember Mean Joe Greene Rosey Grier. I don't remember much more, but that's just more me than anything. My memory is not as sharp as it was even 5 years ago. Just reading up on it, I see Michael Jackson and Dustin Hoffman were in it. I'll have to take a peek. Had no idea who they were, of course.

I met my first set of friends there, one of which (if memory serves, he was there) is my oldest friend (I'm 51 now). We watched that movie a handful of times that summer, drawn to the library, drawn to the story, maybe the production, drawn to the playtime in the park and trees afterwards, all within a 5 minute walk of my house.

So not so much the show, but what it was at a certain point of my life and what it helped to create.

Very cool. Thanks for sharing.

Have about 3 episodes of season 3 left to watch. Have been savoring them and spacing them out, have a FWB that works for the airlines, and we will catch an episode or two when she is in town. I will go back and watch "Beard After Hours" all the time when I need a mental health pick me up.

Have about 3 episodes of season 3 left to watch. Have been savoring them and spacing them out, have a FWB that works for the airlines, and we will catch an episode or two when she is in town. I will go back and watch "Beard After Hours" all the time when I need a mental health pick me up.
Second last one - might be my favourite.

Users who are viewing this thread