What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ted Sundquist Bronco's GM discussing Den's RB's (1 Viewer)

PRS Guy

Footballguy
Ted Sundquist the Bronco’s GM was on KLZ 560 AM this morning in Denver. I meant to post this earlier so I wouldn’t forget what he said, but I couldn’t get to it until lunch so I’ll do my best to rehash what he said.Paraphrasing:Q: Radio Guy - Talk about Mike Anderson…A. Sundquist - Mike Anderson is a guy we knew would be able to shoulder the load this year. While he’s seen as being an older guy, his body is relatively young. He came into camp in tremendous shape and has never really been threatened as the starter. He’s going to get the bulk of the carries this year barring injury.Q: Radio Guy – If something were to happen to Anderson, would we see RBBC?A. Sundquist – You’d definitely see both Tatum and Ron get some work. We felt privately that the Giant’s system was a horrible fit for Ron, and we were quite excited to get him in here. I’ve said all along, the NFL is about 4-5 yard runs, it never has been and never will be about 60-80 yard runs. Ron Dayne is a guy that can give us 20-25 carries a game and move the chains. Ron is a big strong back, especially from the waist down. He’s much more like the Terrell Davis, Mike Anderson and Olandis Gary than people realize.Q: Radio Guy – So Tatum Bell would be more of a change of pace back?A: Sundquist – Yes, we’d like to see Ron wear down the defense with 20+ carries and then bring in Tatum to see what he can do, but both of them will certainly get a shot. Full Disclosure- I don’t own any Broncos on any of my teams. I do live in Denver and listen to 560 everyday where Sundquist is a regular guest. In my opinion, Dayne has more value than Bell right now based on what I have seen in camp and the preseason and what I am hearing from Bronco’s management. Could I be wrong? Yes, easily so, but this is my personal view and I have seen 100% of every back’s carries in the preseason. If anyone who heard the interview feels I’ve taken something out of context, please correct what I have said. I’m not trying to pimp anyone, just passing along what I have heard.

Ted Sundquist the Bronco’s GM was on KLZ 560 AM this morning in Denver. I meant to post this earlier so I wouldn’t forget what he said, but I couldn’t get to it until lunch so I’ll do my best to rehash what he said.

Paraphrasing:

Q: Radio Guy - Talk about Mike Anderson…

A. Sundquist - Mike Anderson is a guy we knew would be able to shoulder the load this year. While he’s seen as being an older guy, his body is relatively young. He came into camp in tremendous shape and has never really been threatened as the starter. He’s going to get the bulk of the carries this year barring injury.

Q: Radio Guy – If something were to happen to Anderson, would we see RBBC?

A. Sundquist – You’d definitely see both Tatum and Ron get some work. We felt privately that the Giant’s system was a horrible fit for Ron, and we were quite excited to get him in here. I’ve said all along, the NFL is about 4-5 yard runs, it never has been and never will be about 60-80 yard runs. Ron Dayne is a guy that can give us 20-25 carries a game and move the chains. Ron is a big strong back, especially from the waist down. He’s much more like the Terrell Davis, Mike Anderson and Olandis Gary than people realize.

Q: Radio Guy – So Tatum Bell would be more of a change of pace back?

A: Sundquist – Yes, we’d like to see Ron wear down the defense with 20+ carries and then bring in Tatum to see what he can do, but both of them will certainly get a shot.

Full Disclosure- I don’t own any Broncos on any of my teams. I do live in Denver and listen to 560 everyday where Sundquist is a regular guest. In my opinion, Dayne has more value than Bell right now based on what I have seen in camp and the preseason and what I am hearing from Bronco’s management. Could I be wrong? Yes, easily so, but this is my personal view and I have seen 100% of every back’s carries in the preseason.

If anyone who heard the interview feels I’ve taken something out of context, please correct what I have said. I’m not trying to pimp anyone, just passing along what I have heard.
:goodposting: I heard the interview as well, this is a very good representation of the general tone set.

Ted Sundquist the Bronco’s GM was on KLZ 560 AM this morning in Denver. I meant to post this earlier so I wouldn’t forget what he said, but I couldn’t get to it until lunch so I’ll do my best to rehash what he said.

Paraphrasing:

A. Sundquist - Mike Anderson is a guy we knew would be able to shoulder the load this year. While he’s seen as being an older guy, his body is relatively young. He came into camp in tremendous shape and has never really been threatened as the starter. He’s going to get the bulk of the carries this year barring injury.

A. Sundquist – You’d definitely see both Tatum and Ron get some work. We felt privately that the Giant’s system was a horrible fit for Ron, and we were quite excited to get him in here. I’ve said all along, the NFL is about 4-5 yard runs, it never has been and never will be about 60-80 yard runs. Ron Dayne is a guy that can give us 20-25 carries a game and move the chains. Ron is a big strong back, especially from the waist down. He’s much more like the Terrell Davis, Mike Anderson and Olandis Gary than people realize.

A: Sundquist – Yes, we’d like to see Ron wear down the defense with 20+ carries and then bring in Tatum to see what he can do, but both of them will certainly get a shot.

Full Disclosure- I don’t own any Broncos on any of my teams. I do live in Denver and listen to 560 everyday where Sundquist is a regular guest. In my opinion, Dayne has more value than Bell right now based on what I have seen in camp and the preseason and what I am hearing from Bronco’s management. Could I be wrong? Yes, easily so, but this is my personal view and I have seen 100% of every back’s carries in the preseason.

If anyone who heard the interview feels I’ve taken something out of context, please correct what I have said. I’m not trying to pimp anyone, just passing along what I have heard.
:goodposting: Great info. Thanks for sharing.

Ted Sundquist the Bronco’s GM was on KLZ 560 AM this morning in Denver.  I meant to post this earlier so I wouldn’t forget what he said, but I couldn’t get to it until lunch so I’ll do my best to rehash what he said.

Paraphrasing:

Q:  Radio Guy - Talk about Mike Anderson…

A.  Sundquist - Mike Anderson is a guy we knew would be able to shoulder the load this year.  While he’s seen as being an older guy, his body is relatively young.  He came into camp in tremendous shape and has never really been threatened as the starter.  He’s going to get the bulk of the carries this year barring injury.

A.  Sundquist – You’d definitely see both Tatum and Ron get some work.  We felt privately that the Giant’s system was a horrible fit for Ron, and we were quite excited to get him in here.  I’ve said all along, the NFL is about 4-5 yard runs, it never has been and never will be about 60-80 yard runs.  Ron Dayne is a guy that can give us 20-25 carries a game and move the chains.  Ron is a big strong back, especially from the waist down.  He’s much more like the Terrell Davis, Mike Anderson and Olandis Gary than people realize.

Full Disclosure- I don’t own any Broncos on any of my teams.  I do live in Denver and listen to 560 everyday where Sundquist is a regular guest.  In my opinion, Dayne has more value than Bell right now based on what I have seen in camp and the preseason and what I am hearing from Bronco’s management.  Could I be wrong?  Yes, easily so, but this is my personal view and I have seen 100% of every back’s carries in the preseason.     

If anyone who heard the interview feels I’ve taken something out of context, please correct what I have said.  I’m not trying to pimp anyone, just passing along what I have heard.
:goodposting: I heard the interview as well, this is a very good representation of the general tone set.
Thank you, I really tried to repeat what I could remember verbatim- without subjectivity. I'm glad you concur with what I heard for the most part.

Paraphrasing:

As a Badger alum and Danye well-wisher - I would love it if you continue to post content from Sundquist's interviews.Ronnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

Daynnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnne!

Keep up the good work PRS Guy

Man, Bell is dropping close to waiver wire status. I own both Anderson and Bell. I still haven't given up total hope on Bell though, but my optomism is circling the drain. :popcorn:

Raise your hand if you totally overrated Bell going into the season.

:hey:
i overrated him, but not enough to draft him thankfully.
:goodposting: There are some players that you'd like to have -- Bell, Vick, Matt Jones come to mind -- but you know their value is overstated so you let someone else deal with the headache.

Then again, I did draft Anderson in the 5th last week. :bag:

Raise your hand if you totally overrated Bell going into the season.

i overrated him, but not enough to draft him thankfully.
Unfortunately, I carried him over as one of my 6 keepers.Fortunately though in my draft, I was able to get Carnell Williams, so I've since traded in a Tatum for a Cadillac-ack-ack-ack-ack

:billyjoel:

Great Stuff!!!!!!I drafted Mike Anderson and missed out on Tatum, and caught absolute crap about it. But took a flyer on Dayne late in the draft. This is great news.Thanks

Are we really supposed to believe Dayne would start over Bell? Anything is possible in Denver's system, but it's hard to believe Dayne could keep Bell on the bench.As an Anderson and Bell owner, the though of carrying 3 RB's from the same team is :X :

i still wouldnt take this to the gravei think that Tatum would get a chance before Ron Dayne to be the feature back if Anderson is hurt/ineffectivejust my .02 but Tatum has yet to be given a chance to see what he can do fulltimeIm fairly certain that they would give him that chance before turning the reins over to the re-tread Ron Dayneagain, just my opinionLoop

Are we really supposed to believe Dayne would start over Bell? Anything is possible in Denver's system, but it's hard to believe Dayne could keep Bell on the bench.
this is the denver RB situation - where hard to believe becomes reality every day.

just my .02 but Tatum has yet to be given a chance to see what he can do fulltime

again, just my opinion

Loop
Which begs the question "Why hasn't he been given that chance yet?"Seems to me it should have happened by now. Reports in Denver indicate that Shanny does not like his lack of ability to pick up blitzes and that he is not a good blocker.

If those things don't change I don't see him ever getting a shot as "the man" under Shanny.

...and Tatum Bell owners wept.

Last edited by a moderator:
Are we really supposed to believe Dayne would start over Bell? Anything is possible in Denver's system, but it's hard to believe Dayne could keep Bell on the bench.

As an Anderson and Bell owner, the though of carrying 3 RB's from the same team is :X :
I'm with you there. I have Anderson and Bell in one league and in another I have Anderson and Dayne (someone else drafted Bell)... Now I'm wondering if I should just go with Dayne and Anderson in both leagues.

Go back 2 months and insert "Anderson" for "Dayne" in your quote and see how it reads.

A couple of days ago, we debated cutting Bell and picking up Stephen Davis. After agonizing for a day, somebody else grabbed Davis and made our decision for us.I had gotten comfortable that - since Anderson is our "#3" RB (though we're starting him this weekend) - we didn't really need Davis and keeping the insurance was just as important.Then I read this.I'm not really concerned - if Anderson doesn't get hurt, then I think owning Bell is the way to go, because I can imagine Bell easing Anderson out of his starting role, but can't imagine Dayne doing the same. If Anderson gets hurt, that's another story. But then I'll have an IR slot to grab Dayne with.

Hm. Interesting. I have a question for PRS Guy or any other Denver homers that listen to this show: How has Sundquist's view of the RB situation changed over the last 3-6 months? Was he ever high on Bell? Does he have a history of flip-flopping? Why is he now down on Bell? Has he regressed? Or have the others just performed better in camp?It's clear he likes Dayne, but I would like to know why. And, also, was he ever high on Bell, and, if so, why has that opinion changed?

Hm. Interesting. I have a question for PRS Guy or any other Denver homers that listen to this show: How has Sundquist's view of the RB situation changed over the last 3-6 months? Was he ever high on Bell? Does he have a history of flip-flopping? Why is he now down on Bell? Has he regressed? Or have the others just performed better in camp?

It's clear he likes Dayne, but I would like to know why. And, also, was he ever high on Bell, and, if so, why has that opinion changed?
just wondering, how was the Giants running game a bad situation for Dayne.

I drafted all three Denver RBs. Naturally, everyone was hot and heavy for stealing Tatum Bell from me in the mid rounds but I got him.But honestly, the player I was equally worried about was Ron Dayne. I've been following closely how well Dayne played in the preseason. There was another post a few days back from someone with a friend on the Denver OLine that spoke glowingly of Dayne as well. Believe the quote was that no one could tackle Dayne in practice. And no mention of Bell. Further, if you've listened to Shanahan during the preseason (and obviously, take this with a grain of salt), but Shanny seemed to always be raving about Ron Dayne. Almost no mention of Bell. I think part of it is that Shanny is a very proud/egotistical coach who'd love to show how smart he is by (re)discovering the discarded Dayne. But I think another part of it, a real part of it, is that Dayne fits that system very well, and the coaches love him.All of this added up to the realization that Ron Dayne was much more viable in DEN than most people thought. Certainly those of us that remember how horrendous he was in NY.Lastly, don't forget that last year, Reuben Droughns leaped past Tatum Bell when Anderson went down. Presumably, part of that was due to Bell still recovering from his hand injury and picking up the offense. But at the same time, you'd think that if Denver had as much faith in Bell as you'd think they did drafting him the 2nd round, they would not have bypassed him with a journeyman, converted FB in Droughns.Thank the lord I added Dayne late.

I just found Dayne on the WW in a dynasty league with mostly FBG folks...I have MA and was considering a Tatum Bell acquisition...not now.Picked up Dayne and cut brandon Jones...that hurt but I don't want to get stuck if MA goes down. Dayne has looked incredible in the preseason.

OK. Here's another thread where Sundquist talks about the RB situation in April:

http://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index...09&hl=sundquist

Here's the relevant snippet:

Tyler; Springfield, Ohio

What are your plans for the running back situation? Who will start? Who will be the backup? What will Maurice Clarett's situation be?

Ted Sundquist

Right now we have a number of players on the roster at that position. Mike Anderson is an outstanding player in our system. He's coming off an injury and will be expected to return at 100 percent. The great thing about Mike is that he's very flexible. He's played both running back and fullback and been successful at both. Tatum Bell is coming off his rookie season. You always see the biggest jump in improvement from that rookie season to the sophomore season and we expect that from Tatum now that he's been in the system and understands the speed of the game a little bit better. Quentin Griffin is coming off of a knee injury but everything points toward him being 100 percent again. He's probably going to be more of a third-down type of guy, a guy that we can use in the throwing game as a change up type of back, that's where he's been very successful. Ron Dayne is trying to resurrect his career. We feel like his skills coming out of college were a little more conducive to what we try to do here than maybe what the Giants system was. We felt like this may be a good try and he did too. He's got the physical skills and the size that we're looking for to be a pounder as well, so he'll be in the mix. Then Maurice's deal will be to get back into the speed of playing football every day, with practice, games and that type of thing since he's been out of it for a while. Obviously any young back coming in has to learn our system, so I imagine we'll ease him into it. It's going to take a little bit of time and there's going to be a lot of competition in training camp and only so many carries for each one of those guys so they're all going to have to make the most out of it. But I would expect going into the season that you'd probably see Mike and Tatum at the top of the position.
So, it almost seems like he was saying back in April that Mike Anderson was his guy. He clearly is front and center in this comment. He also looks to have expected to see improvement in Bell, but hasn't seen enough to make him the starter, I would guess.

As maybe people with a clue posted, the denver RB situation is a mess, period. I don't care where you drafted any of them, it was a bad pick. Someone posted they drafted all 3 RBs. *lol* What a waste of picks and roster spots.

I grabbed Bell in the mid rounds of a 4-man keeper. Someone took Anderson in the 3rd.I had Anderson targetted in rounds 8-9, but he never fell that far in my drafts. The last draft was the day after the Indy game, so someone took him too early.I still think Bell will be big part of the running game this year.

Fact is, people cry that Shannahan is misleading. He's not. He goes with who says he will. Too many people try reading between the lines but that's their own dumb fault. For months he's said Anderson was the starter just as last year he said Rueben was starting. Why nobody will believe him is beyond me.He's vague when it comes to injuries but what coach isn't?

As maybe people with a clue posted, the denver RB situation is a mess, period. I don't care where you drafted any of them, it was a bad pick. Someone posted they drafted all 3 RBs. *lol* What a waste of picks and roster spots.
So are you on record as sayin that you doubt Mike Anderson could turn in 1,200 rush yds and 10 TD if he is the starter every week for the Denver Broncos?

As of now, drafting Anderson was, in no way, a wasted pick.I nabbed him in the fifth round. To have the 100% infirmed starting back for Denver, and only losing a fifth round pick for him, is hardly a wasted pick. It may be the pick with the most value in my draft.

Did C Portis ruin it for T Bell in Denver? 5.3 yards per carry and not the starter? He looked too good last year to be regulated to virtually 3rd string status especially if hes healthy. This just doesn't make sense. :confused:

Paraphrasing:

very :goodposting: thanks for the info :thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread