What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Tell me more about Ron DeSantis (1 Viewer)

I think DeSantis' stunt was despicable and possibly criminal, but politically it sure seems effective. He changed the discussion from abortion to immigration, and it's showing results in election polling outside of Florida.
For the life of me, I can't understand why EITHER side would want to focus on the border. They've each failed us in their own unique and spectacular ways. That said, NOW would be a good time for the Dems to trot out the comprehensive immigration bill they did back in 2017/8 (cut the pork though) and let the GOP reject it because it doesn't include a wall.

Maybe his stunt was to distract everyone from his abysmal knowledge of American (and world) history. Per Ron:

“It was the American Revolution that caused people to question slavery. No one had questioned it before we decided as Americans that we are endowed by our creator with unalienable rights.”

Video per the twitters

Maybe his stunt was to distract everyone from his abysmal knowledge of American (and world) history. Per Ron:

“It was the American Revolution that caused people to question slavery. No one had questioned it before we decided as Americans that we are endowed by our creator with unalienable rights.”

Video per the twitters
Was that before or after the jets did a flyover?

You keep parroting this same BS talking point.

if I'm wrong, show me a link that shows Martha's Vineyard people taking all these illegals into their homes.

or, did they ship them off somewhere else ?

can you answer ?
The reasons are the talking points. Simply put, Cape Cod is much better equipped to handle this. They have experience. They have much more access to the health care needs, especially mental health.

It's easy to see what you're doing. Trying to make it sound lol ke the migrants were tossed aside by MV (which they clearly were not) because they WERE tossed aside by Desantis and Abbott. The base eats that nonsense up but the rest of the country knows better.
I’m not sure the reason the people coming to America is for our mental health resources.

if I'm wrong, show me a link that shows Martha's Vineyard people taking all these illegals into their homes.

can you answer ?
The reasons are the talking points. Simply put, Cape Cod is much better equipped to handle this. They have experience. They have much more access to the health care needs, especially mental health.

It's easy to see what you're doing. Trying to make it sound lol ke the migrants were tossed aside by MV (which they clearly were not) because they WERE tossed aside by Desantis and Abbott. The base eats that nonsense up but the rest of the country knows better.
I’m not sure the reason the people coming to America is for our mental health resources.
I never said it was. :shrug:

can you answer ?

I never said it was. :shrug:
You listed it to as a factor in why they can’t have them, unless the resources weee not there for the locals who had to deal with it.

I think DeSantis' stunt was despicable and possibly criminal, but politically it sure seems effective. He changed the discussion from abortion to immigration, and it's showing results in election polling outside of Florida.
There is also a homeowners insurance crisis in the state. Many of my coworkers who live in condos, both costal and inland, are getting big increases in HOA fees. A tropical system off the coast of Venezuela, no less, is projected to impact Florida next Wednesday as category 2 hurricane Hermine. This crisis predates DeSantis, but he bears some responsibility for being unable to tackle it, and waiting until May to call a special session, while tackling woke ideology in the regular session. I'm curious to see his response to what could exacerbate the insurance crisis even further. The average homeowners insurance bill is over $4,000 in Florida and that figure could increase much more.

are getting big increases in HOA fees.
The Surfside collapse should have been a huge wake up call. Condo associations are scrambling with special assessments to try and bring the older buildings up to safe standards. The owners are going to be walloped with not only rising COA monthly dues but the special assessments can be crippling to limited budgets.

NOT a positive impact for American citizens - and this? This is happening on many private properties across the border states. it happens daily on my buddy's farm SW of San Antonio.

Ya'll don't want to believe it

A Texas farmer who owns a 150-acre ranch along the U.S.-Mexico border recently shared footage of migrants running onto his property and barricading themselves inside the home where his grandparents live.

The farmer, who wished to remain anonymous, told Fox News Digital his family has owned the property for upwards of 100 years. The video, he said, illustrated a daily occurrence for his family. But the problem has grown worse in recent years, he said.

NOT a positive impact for American citizens - and this? This is happening on many private properties across the border states. it happens daily on my buddy's farm SW of San Antonio.

Ya'll don't want to believe it

A Texas farmer who owns a 150-acre ranch along the U.S.-Mexico border recently shared footage of migrants running onto his property and barricading themselves inside the home where his grandparents live.

The farmer, who wished to remain anonymous, told Fox News Digital his family has owned the property for upwards of 100 years. The video, he said, illustrated a daily occurrence for his family. But the problem has grown worse in recent years, he said.
It sounds bad. Does your buddy know how these immigrants are crossing the border in his region, is there no wall in that portion of the border? Trump built over 400 miles of his wall. Also, it's interesting that the farmer blames both Biden and Abbott for exacerbating the problem. What did Abbott do?

are getting big increases in HOA fees.
The Surfside collapse should have been a huge wake up call. Condo associations are scrambling with special assessments to try and bring the older buildings up to safe standards. The owners are going to be walloped with not only rising COA monthly dues but the special assessments can be crippling to limited budgets.
This is happening nationwide. I'm aware of two condos in Seattle that were built in the 80s where the owners have decided to disband the condominium and sell the whole thing to a developer rather than pay the special assessment for repairs.

Despite my strong disagreements with Governor DeSantis on most of the issues discussed in this thread, I am rooting strongly for him this morning. Hurricane Fiona appears to be one of the gravest threats that Florida has faced in a long time.
Disaster recoveries are usually opportunities for elected officials to improve popularity, such as Giuliani after 9/11. I expect DeSantis to beat Crist anyway, but this will help him. He will do a better job than Trump did after Hurricane Maria, throwing rolls of toilet paper and questioning the death toll in Puerto Rico. Rick Scott broke with Trump who questioned the validity of the death toll and had a great outreach to the Puerto Rican community in PR, which probably helped him in the PR community in central Florida, as he narrowly defeated Nelson for the US Senate. On the other hand, DeSantis has been unable to effectively tackle the homeowners insurance crisis during his tenure - the average homeowners insurance premium is over $4,200, the highest in the nation per the Insurance Information Institute

Despite my strong disagreements with Governor DeSantis on most of the issues discussed in this thread, I am rooting strongly for him this morning. Hurricane Fiona appears to be one of the gravest threats that Florida has faced in a long time.
Fiona is getting ready to hit land in Canada Tim...what are you talking about? Ian? It will likely be a cat 3 hitting in the panhandle. For some, that's a heavy afternoon thunderstorm....or it should be. In my 5 years in this state we've had a half dozen (or more) storms larger and more intense. Of course, with the insurance fiasco that the state refuses to address, it's likely to make things worse for individuals, but that's not because of the storm.

Man oh man Ron sure does scare a lot of the leftist
Thats how we know he`s doing his job the way we want

Seems an odd way to claim he is doing something well.
Also, scare is a pretty bad word, he just seems pretty awful in many of his actions. Im not scared of that really, but it is a concern that he would be POTUS doing some of the things he has done and what affect that can have on our country.

Also odd for some to be complaining so much about Biden's divisiveness...yet open support people like Trump and Desantis.

Fiona is getting ready to hit land in Canada Tim...what are you talking about? Ian? It will likely be a cat 3 hitting in the panhandle. For some, that's a heavy afternoon thunderstorm....or it should be. In my 5 years in this state we've had a half dozen (or more) storms larger and more intense. Of course, with the insurance fiasco that the state refuses to address, it's likely to make things worse for individuals, but that's not because of the storm.
I’m just responding to the news headlines. They’re more dramatic than what you’re posting here. Obviously I hope you’re right.

Not Fiona - there’s a tropical storm about to hit the gulf that is projected to turn into a category 2 or 3 hurricane and hit central Florida either Tuesday or Wednesday.

Disaster recoveries are usually opportunities for elected officials to improve popularity, such as Giuliani after 9/11. I expect DeSantis to beat Crist anyway, but this will help him. He will do a better job than Trump did after Hurricane Maria, throwing rolls of toilet paper and questioning the death toll in Puerto Rico. Rick Scott broke with Trump who questioned the validity of the death toll and had a great outreach to the Puerto Rican community in PR, which probably helped him in the PR community in central Florida, as he narrowly defeated Nelson for the US Senate. On the other hand, DeSantis has been unable to effectively tackle the homeowners insurance crisis during his tenure - the average homeowners insurance premium is over $4,200, the highest in the nation per the Insurance Information Institute
What should a governor do about insurance rates? Isn’t this mostly due to the climate/environment?

Also, scare is a pretty bad word, he just seems pretty awful in many of his actions. Im not scared of that really, but it is a concern that he would be POTUS doing some of the things he has done and what affect that can have on our country.

Also odd for some to be complaining so much about Biden's divisiveness...yet open support people like Trump and Desantis.
no... hes doing the policies we love ...so thats doing his job

What should a governor do about insurance rates? Isn’t this mostly due to the climate/environment?
he cant do anything about it...like Biden doesn't control the gas ...see how that works?

The left cant have it both ways,sorry

I think that for some reason I was confused this morning about what I read. Not sure how I see Fiona and Canada and think “Florida”. My bad. Totally screwed that up. Disregard.

And that you love policies that use people as pawns is interesting. Also, that you think being critical of such things is fear. Not sure how that aligns with "doing his job". Seems there are several very valid criticisms of his actions.

It's mostly due to older roofs being considered vulnerable to hurricane wind damage and unscrupulous roofers and high levels of lawsuits vs insurance companies. See below. It's been going on for a while, pre-DeSantis, but the optics of addressing woke in the regular session, and then inadequately addressing the homeowners insurance crisis in a special session in May just before the start of the hurricane season, isn't favorable for DeSantis. Stronger hurricanes in FL and elsewhere, is also a factor. DeSantis has been governor for 2 hurricane seasons, so he gets some blame.

>>The scam works like this: Contractors knock on doors offering to inspect homeowners’ roofs for storm damage. They say they can help get a roof replacement covered by insurance, and they persuade the homeowners to sign away their rights to file the claims themselves. The contractors then file fraudulent damage claims, and when the insurance companies balk, the contractors sue. The insurance companies usually settle the disputed claims for many times more than the original claim. Most of that money goes to the contractors’ lawyers in the form of a “contingency fee multiplier.” Some lawyers file hundreds of such lawsuits a year.<<

Florida lawmakers scramble to fix a property insurance crisis before hurricane season

Clamp down on the ******** insurance claims that are allowed. Use his authoritatian tendencies to pressure the ******** claims from lawyers and fly by night "contractors"

And that you love policies that use people as pawns is interesting. Also, that you think being critical of such things is fear. Not sure how that aligns with "doing his job". Seems there are several very valid criticisms of his actions.
I`m not going down this rabbit hole , what he`s doing is working and will end up helping the immigration system in the long run now that people not on the border are actually getting a taste of the borders reality and may see it cant be ignored anymore .These immigrants are lucky they are here at all and dont have to wait on the border like so many do , thats my opinion and the opinion of many others .

Clamp down on the ******** insurance claims that are allowed.
now THIS i agree 100 % with

should have shipped THIS guy out

Pinellas Sheriff: Construction worker who killed deputy was an illegal alien using fake ID, previously denied entry to the U.S. He came back in through the Texas border, is here illegally, and he’s been here in the Tampa Bay area since March of this year.

Pinellas Sheriff: Construction worker who killed deputy was an illegal alien using fake ID, previously denied entry to the U.S. He came back in through the Texas border, is here illegally, and he’s been here in the Tampa Bay area since March of this year.
Doesnt generate the attention Ron craves. If it were really about keeping the state clear of "illegals", hed have a program out to address the 40-50K living here and making the AG industry run.

I`m not going down this rabbit hole , what he`s doing is working and will end up helping the immigration system in the long run now that people not on the border are actually getting a taste of the borders reality and may see it cant be ignored anymore .These immigrants are lucky they are here at all and dont have to wait on the border like so many do , thats my opinion and the opinion of many others .
I get it...not going to discuss the valid criticism...just pretend its all hate and fear.
How is what he is doing working? How is it addressing immigration? He isn't even addressing it in his own state, but taking people from Texas, to Florida, and then to liberal areas to get himself in the news with it.

I get it...not going to discuss the valid criticism...just pretend its all hate and fear.
How is what he is doing working? How is it addressing immigration? He isn't even addressing it in his own state, but taking people from Texas, to Florida, and then to liberal areas to get himself in the news with it.
I`m sorry you dont get it,its ok, there are many things you guys think is normal that i dont get

Doesnt generate the attention Ron craves. If it were really about keeping the state clear of "illegals", hed have a program out to address the 40-50K living here and making the AG industry run.
Florida Governor Ron DeSantis has signed into law a bill on verification of employees’ legal authorization to work in the U.S.

Subcontractors are required to provide contractors with whom they enter into contracts with an affidavit providing that the subcontractors do not employ, contract with, or subcontract with “unauthorized aliens.”

It`s a start

Florida Governor Ron DeSantis has signed into law a bill on verification of employees’ legal authorization to work in the U.S.

Subcontractors are required to provide contractors with whom they enter into contracts with an affidavit providing that the subcontractors do not employ, contract with, or subcontract with “unauthorized aliens.”

It`s a start
Even though it's a baby step forward it's still progress. I'll take it.

he cant do anything about it...like Biden doesn't control the gas ...see how that works?
American insurance industry and world gas markets are the same?

I actually don't see how that works, maybe you can explain it to me.
Politicians dont control either , at least thats what ive learned from all ya all when Biden gets blamed for high gas prices

It`s a start
This does nothing about the 40-50K here. To be clear, hes not going to do anything. Nor should he (would be the end of farming in the state). Just funny to watch reality unfold while people are distracted by hollow words.

You know Biden flew a plane of undocumented aliens into Jacksonville in the middle of the night , right?

Also one of those aliens murdered a family man in Jacksonville while residing there , did you know that ?

Last edited:
Politicians dont control either , at least thats what ive learned from all ya all when Biden gets blamed for high gas prices
Someone explains that the president doesn't control world gas prices, which is a fact.

That gets turned into some sort of gotcha moment, which doesn't even apply here?

I'm sure your "good one" will be comforting to Floridians who cannot get home insurance.

I`m sorry you dont get it,its ok, there are many things you guys think is normal that i dont get
What is there to get? You have just made vague statements and when asked how si…this the the of response.

It`s a start
Are they going to send business executives/owners to prison for employing unauthorized people? If it wasn't so easy for corporations and small business owners who use these workers to escape any serious penalty for employing them there wouldn't be so many of them. Of course the people who employ them are in a special protected class. It's called the "political donor" class so nothing will be done, by either party.

Someone explains that the president doesn't control world gas prices, which is a fact.

That gets turned into some sort of gotcha moment, which doesn't even apply here?

I'm sure your "good one" will be comforting to Floridians who cannot get home insurance.
So Desantis is in control of the insurance companies ? Interseresting

Insurance companies, for once, aren't the problem. They are reacting to the laws/regulations of the state. Yes, the state legislature AND DeSantis are in control of that at the moment. :shrug:

Insurance companies, for once, aren't the problem. They are reacting to the laws/regulations of the state. Yes, the state legislature AND DeSantis are in control of that at the moment. :shrug:
What are you talking about ?

Critics say what’s driving this crisis is a pair of things: lawsuits and fraud. Last year more than 100,000 lawsuits were filed for property claims. That’s 130-times more than any other state in the country.

In process of buying a house here in West Palm Beach - when I saw the insurance $$requirements $$----:oops::oops::oops::oops:

What are you talking about ?

Critics say what’s driving this crisis is a pair of things: lawsuits and fraud. Last year more than 100,000 lawsuits were filed for property claims. That’s 130-times more than any other state in the country.
All correct....most of which are coming from storm chasers and shady contractors. Or do you think the ins companies are suing each other or themselves?

Users who are viewing this thread