What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Tell me more about Ron DeSantis (2 Viewers)

Politicians dont control either , at least thats what ive learned from all ya all when Biden gets blamed for high gas prices
Someone explains that the president doesn't control world gas prices, which is a fact.

That gets turned into some sort of gotcha moment, which doesn't even apply here?

I'm sure your "good one" will be comforting to Floridians who cannot get home insurance.
So Desantis is in control of the insurance companies ? Interseresting
Insurance companies, for once, aren't the problem. They are reacting to the laws/regulations of the state. Yes, the state legislature AND DeSantis are in control of that at the moment. :shrug:
In process of buying a house here in West Palm Beach - when I saw the insurance $$requirements $$----:oops::oops::oops::oops:
Thats another factor....what the state requires for minimum coverage.

We moved from SC. House half the value of our SC house and our ins is 5X what it was in SC.

Politicians dont control either , at least thats what ive learned from all ya all when Biden gets blamed for high gas prices
Someone explains that the president doesn't control world gas prices, which is a fact.

That gets turned into some sort of gotcha moment, which doesn't even apply here?

I'm sure your "good one" will be comforting to Floridians who cannot get home insurance.
Insurance companies, for once, aren't the problem. They are reacting to the laws/regulations of the state. Yes, the state legislature AND DeSantis are in control of that at the moment. :shrug:
In process of buying a house here in West Palm Beach - when I saw the insurance $$requirements $$----:oops::oops::oops::oops:

We moved from SC. House half the value of our SC house and our ins is 5X what it was in SC.
On Tuesday, the Florida Cabinet received a briefing on the homeowner’s insurance market with leaders saying that a bill passed in 2021 (SB76) is showing some improvement, but leaders concede that more needs to be done and the Florida Legislature will have to act. The governor has indicated he’ll sign a bill dealing with the crisis has stopped short of calling a special session to deal with the issue, instead indicating he’d like the House and Senate to come to an agreement on a solution first.

On Tuesday, the Florida Cabinet received a briefing on the homeowner’s insurance market with leaders saying that a bill passed in 2021 (SB76) is showing some improvement, but leaders concede that more needs to be done and the Florida Legislature will have to act. The governor has indicated he’ll sign a bill dealing with the crisis has stopped short of calling a special session to deal with the issue, instead indicating he’d like the House and Senate to come to an agreement on a solution first.

You happen to read the bill? I did. You'll be surprised to learn it does very little, if anything to address the thing I have mentioned. "More to do" indeed. I just hope they dont get sidetracked by another major crisis like the way Disney does their diversity training.

You happen to read the bill? I did. You'll be surprised to learn it does very little, if anything to address the thing I have mentioned. "More to do" indeed. I just hope they dont get sidetracked by another major crisis like the way Disney does their diversity training.
you must have missed this part -

he governor has indicated he’ll sign a bill dealing with the crisis has stopped short of calling a special session to deal with the issue, instead indicating he’d like the House and Senate to come to an agreement on a solution first.

he governor has indicated he’ll sign a bill dealing with the crisis has stopped short of calling a special session to deal with the issue, instead indicating he’d like the House and Senate to come to an agreement on a solution first.
Addressed that in post youve already responded to. :lol:

All three branches are GOP led....Im waiting

This all started because people are pinning the insurance issues on him, at least thats how i read the room.

This all started because people are pinning the insurance issues on him, at least thats how i read the room.
Maybe spend some time reading the posts rather than the room? I'll say it one more time. We have major insurance carriers leaving the state because of frivilous lawsuits/claims and extreme requirements for minimum coverage. The requirements for coverage are driven by the state legislature directly and that same group has not moved to curb frivilous lawsuits/claims from storm chasers. Those are the primary problems causing insurers to leave the state.

Despite my strong disagreements with Governor DeSantis on most of the issues discussed in this thread, I am rooting strongly for him this morning. Hurricane Fiona appears to be one of the gravest threats that Florida has faced in a long time.
Fiona is getting ready to hit land in Canada Tim...what are you talking about? Ian? It will likely be a cat 3 hitting in the panhandle. For some, that's a heavy afternoon thunderstorm....or it should be. In my 5 years in this state we've had a half dozen (or more) storms larger and more intense. Of course, with the insurance fiasco that the state refuses to address, it's likely to make things worse for individuals, but that's not because of the storm.
I’m just responding to the news headlines. They’re more dramatic than what you’re posting here. Obviously I hope you’re right.
Tim, Down here the news folks try to sensationalize and basically scare the beejesus out of the folks that never lived through one for days on end. I especially like it when they roll up their sleeves like man they are doing some manual labor. Another good one is when they are bracing themselves and barely can stand against a 20 mile an hour wind.

That's not to say it's not serious but I usually wait until 2 days out before I start paying real attention.

I'm about 60 miles inland from both coasts so it is a little different for me than those on the coast. For me it's more of an inconvenience where as on the coast it can be devastating see Mexico Beach.

Maybe spend some time reading the posts rather than the room? I'll say it one more time. We have major insurance carriers leaving the state because of frivilous lawsuits/claims and extreme requirements for minimum coverage. The requirements for coverage are driven by the state legislature directly and that same group has not moved to curb frivilous lawsuits/claims from storm chasers. Those are the primary problems causing insurers to leave the state.
Sodad basically said RD shoul;d be doing more to solve the insurance crisis , thats who im disagreeing with .

Sodad basically said RD shoul;d be doing more to solve the insurance crisis , thats who im disagreeing with .
Then why are you responding to me? There's no question he has a role here. He's the leader of the state and his part has control of the entirety of the legislature. It's clear he has influence over the state senate and house. Look how quickly he got them to do work on his pet projects against various businesses in the state.....all of which have taken precedence over this issue. This problem isn't important enough for him to call a special session over either...really?

YOU responded to ME lolol

Then why are you responding to me? There's no question he has a role here. He's the leader of the state and his part has control of the entirety of the legislature. It's clear he has influence over the state senate and house. Look how quickly he got them to do work on his pet projects against various businesses in the state.....all of which have taken precedence over this issue. This problem isn't important enough for him to call a special session over either...really?
The President cant even get things done without the Senate and house approval .
RD told them to figure it out and give him something to work with

Despite my strong disagreements with Governor DeSantis on most of the issues discussed in this thread, I am rooting strongly for him this morning. Hurricane Fiona appears to be one of the gravest threats that Florida has faced in a long time.
Fiona is getting ready to hit land in Canada Tim...what are you talking about? Ian? It will likely be a cat 3 hitting in the panhandle. For some, that's a heavy afternoon thunderstorm....or it should be. In my 5 years in this state we've had a half dozen (or more) storms larger and more intense. Of course, with the insurance fiasco that the state refuses to address, it's likely to make things worse for individuals, but that's not because of the storm.
I’m just responding to the news headlines. They’re more dramatic than what you’re posting here. Obviously I hope you’re right.
Tim, Down here the news folks try to sensationalize and basically scare the beejesus out of the folks that never lived through one for days on end. I especially like it when they roll up their sleeves like man they are doing some manual labor. Another good one is when they are bracing themselves and barely can stand against a 20 mile an hour wind.

That's not to say it's not serious but I usually wait until 2 days out before I start paying real attention.

I'm about 60 miles inland from both coasts so it is a little different for me than those on the coast. For me it's more of an inconvenience where as on the coast it can be devastating see Mexico Beach.
Yeah, Ive lived thru blizzards and hurricanes --give me a blizzard any day and everyday over a hurricane. I was in Charleston when Irma passed Fla and we had pretty bad weather 500 miles away --but it was the trying to protect my house (that in 2018, flooded from a freak July thunderstorm) from Hurricane Florence -- I surrounded my post flooded and rehabbed house with water tubes and waited and worried and waited and worried and waited and waited ---so effing tormenting --

If one is paying even the smallest bit of attention, it should be obvious that Presidents and Governors operate under completely different rules/processes. That said, I know what he's said and as I said, I'm waiting. I just find it comical that he demands special sessions to address diversity programs or that he inserts himself directly into redistricting or that he inserts himself directly into drag show practices, but this? This, he's going to be hands-off and let the legislature bring something to him. It speaks volumes about his motives and his priorities. The severity of the problems aren't a primary factor. This isn't going to get him flashy headlines nationally, so hands off, but we DEFINITELY needed a special session to address things not even happening in this state.

Last edited:

If one is paying even the smallest bit of attention, it should be obvious that Presidents and Governors operate under completely different rules/processes. That said, I know what he's said and as I said, I'm waiting. I just find it comical that he demands special sessions to address diversity programs or that he inserts himself directly into redistricting or that he inserts himself directly into drag show practices, but this? This, he's going to be hands-off and let the legislature bring something to him. It speaks volumes about his motives and his priorities. The severity of the problems aren't a primary factor. This isn't going to get him flashy headlines nationally, so hands off, but we DEFINITELY needed a special session to address things not even happening in this state.
Who could argue the logic of this position? Punishing companies he doesn’t like and feeding bs CRT red meat to his base are Ron’s priorities. Certainly getting a home insurance solution is way way down the list.

I live here now , moved to Palmetto Fl last Dec,and i have yet to get home insurance so i feel this as much as anyone. I dont know what the solution is but i do know that the one Crist created back in 2007

Crisis redux​

Fried and DeSantis agree on little, but she similarly pinned Florida’s failing property insurance market on Crist.

Crist, who consistently leads Fried in polls, took office in 2007 after back-to-back devastating hurricane seasons in 2004 and 2005. Premiums were going up, as was Citizens’ policy count, forcing the nonprofit to take the unprecedented step of levying surcharges on its policyholders to pay claims.
Crist called a special session and ushered in consumer-friendly legislation that prevented private insurance companies from dropping policyholders during hurricane season and capped Citizens’ annual rate increases, among other measures.
Critics — DeSantis and Fried among them — contend the legislation hurt insurers, precipitated a deluge of Citizens’ policies, and further destabilized the market. Citizens hit an all-time high of just under 1.5 million policies at the end of Crist’s gubernatorial term.
“It absolutely crushed the market,” Fried said. “It was just a matter of time before people’s premiums went back up because there was no competition. It might have been a short-term success, but long-term it’s part of the reason why we are in the state that we’re in today — because of the actions he took when he was governor.”

I find it interesting that the actual insurance companies that are the most affected by this crisis dont mention DeSantis `s name as the cause or solution .

Is anything being done to curb the crisis?​

Yes, although the full effects of the measures have yet to be seen. Senate Bill 76 went into effect in July 2021 and included several provisions to curb fraudulent claims causing insurers so much strain. One such provision is aimed at reducing the solicitation tactics that fraudulent contractors often use at the start of a scam. While this legal measure may help solve the problem, Sean Harper, CEO of Kin Insurance, warns that “there will need to be additional action taken to restore the market to health.”

Florida lawmakers met for a special session from May 23 through May 27. The Legislature passed an insurance reform bill that includes several provisions to help slow the spiral of the market. The provisions included setting up the My Safe Florida Home Program, which provides grants to help Florida homeowners strengthen their homes against damage. Additionally, home insurance companies will not be able to deny coverage for homes solely based on roof age if a roof is less than 15 years old and still has five years of useful life left (older roofs may still be denied as they present a high risk of damage). Finally, lawyers will be restricted in the rates they can charge for property insurance claims cases, hopefully discouraging fraudulent lawsuits and decreasing litigation costs.

Gotcha. Well first off when I wrote that I was confusing potential hurricanes which was a total screw up on my part, and second hopefully it is sensationalism as you say. Though I often defend the news media from charges of political bias, I would never defend them from charges of being overly sensational- they’re certainly quite often guilty of that.

My purpose in bringing up the hurricane in this thread was to point out that this is where a governor can prove his or her real worth- even a guy like DeSantis, whom I really dislike and disapprove of, can be defined as a good governor if he handles emergency situations effectively and wisely- and I am rooting for him to do so.

I find it interesting that the actual insurance companies that are the most affected by this crisis dont mention DeSantis `s name as the cause or solution .

Yes, although the full effects of the measures have yet to be seen. Senate Bill 76 went into effect in July 2021 and included several provisions to curb fraudulent claims causing insurers so much strain. One such provision is aimed at reducing the solicitation tactics that fraudulent contractors often use at the start of a scam. While this legal measure may help solve the problem, Sean Harper, CEO of Kin Insurance, warns that “there will need to be additional action taken to restore the market to health.”

Florida lawmakers met for a special session from May 23 through May 27. The Legislature passed an insurance reform bill that includes several provisions to help slow the spiral of the market. The provisions included setting up the My Safe Florida Home Program, which provides grants to help Florida homeowners strengthen their homes against damage. Additionally, home insurance companies will not be able to deny coverage for homes solely based on roof age if a roof is less than 15 years old and still has five years of useful life left (older roofs may still be denied as they present a high risk of damage). Finally, lawyers will be restricted in the rates they can charge for property insurance claims cases, hopefully discouraging fraudulent lawsuits and decreasing litigation costs.

I mean, it's not like ol' Ron has a reputation of targeting individual companies that displease him. It's kind of weird they haven't mentioned him.

I mean, it's not like ol' Ron has a reputation of targeting individual companies that displease him. It's kind of weird they haven't mentioned him.
Since when has RD targeted insurance companies?

I live here now , moved to Palmetto Fl last Dec,and i have yet to get home insurance so i feel this as much as anyone. I dont know what the solution is but i do know that the one Crist created back in 2007

Crisis redux​

Fried and DeSantis agree on little, but she similarly pinned Florida’s failing property insurance market on Crist.

Crist, who consistently leads Fried in polls, took office in 2007 after back-to-back devastating hurricane seasons in 2004 and 2005. Premiums were going up, as was Citizens’ policy count, forcing the nonprofit to take the unprecedented step of levying surcharges on its policyholders to pay claims.
Crist called a special session and ushered in consumer-friendly legislation that prevented private insurance companies from dropping policyholders during hurricane season and capped Citizens’ annual rate increases, among other measures.
Critics — DeSantis and Fried among them — contend the legislation hurt insurers, precipitated a deluge of Citizens’ policies, and further destabilized the market. Citizens hit an all-time high of just under 1.5 million policies at the end of Crist’s gubernatorial term.
“It absolutely crushed the market,” Fried said. “It was just a matter of time before people’s premiums went back up because there was no competition. It might have been a short-term success, but long-term it’s part of the reason why we are in the state that we’re in today — because of the actions he took when he was governor.”

I have NEVER said this was because of something DeSantis did because I understand how government works. I HAVE said in this thread it's up to him and his GOP legislature to get it fixed.....repeatedly. Honestly, I don't really give a **** who created the mess. The fact is the mess is here and has to be dealt with. Knowing this, it shouldn't surprise you that I don't give a **** what Fried says about her opponent in the midst of a political campaign either. Consider the source and all that.

NEW: A Ron DeSantis appointee has just resigned after photos emerged of him wearing a KKK outfit. DeSantis appointed him to run Florida’s only predominately Black county

NEW: A Ron DeSantis appointee has just resigned after photos emerged of him wearing a KKK outfit. DeSantis appointed him to run Florida’s only predominately Black county

That's what he gets for trying to be bipartisan and appointing former Gov Northam to a post.

That's what he gets for trying to be bipartisan and appointing former Gov Northam to a post.
So a whataboutism? About a guy most here do not support and certainly not for POTUS!

So a whataboutism? About a guy most here do not support and certainly not for POTUS!
Learn to take a joke. But since you chose to go there, do you really want to be the one to call someone out for a whataboutism? I'm pretty sure if I opened up a thread about someone you're obsessed with I could find many many posts of yours before you could find one of mine.

Learn to take a joke. But since you chose to go there, do you really want to be the one to call someone out for a whataboutism? I'm pretty sure if I opened up a thread about someone you're obsessed with I could find many many posts of yours before you could find one of mine.
I thought it was a good joke, but only worthy of a Smile emoji from me rather than the full Laugh :lmao:

Seemed to be more like your usual snark to avoid saying anything bad about someone like Desantis or a decision he made.

But yeah, play yet another whataboutism with me instead.

I can't imagine how he'd screw it up. The playbook is true and solid by now. All he has to do is follow it. Shouldn't be that difficult. Even I am not that down on his ability in this area :shrug:

Yea at this point there is nothing anyone can or could have done differently. My folks and my brother both live in Ft Myers. They are in mandatory evacuation areas but all have decided to stay and shelter in place. I think they are dumb, but I say that from 1700 miles away. Desantis has done what needs to be done so far. The aftermath will be where the tough decisions get made

If anything this will be a boon to DeSantis in terms of politics, particularly as a contrast to Donald Trump. If you’re someone who agrees with the political positions of Donald Trump and Ron DeSantis, but can’t decide between them, here is a reason for you to support DeSantis: he’s competent.

prediction.....the call it down the middle msm will blame DeSantis about how he screwed up the hurricane response.
I don’t think so. He appears to be on top of things. He may get criticism over this insurance thing afterwards.
Insurance issues have been a problem well before this hurricane...they've been pushed to the back burner to address drag shows and the like.
I know, you’ve been quite informative on this subject in this thread. It may become a bigger news issue in the wake of this catastrophe.

Hope you and your family are safe this morning

If anything this will be a boon to DeSantis in terms of politics, particularly as a contrast to Donald Trump. If you’re someone who agrees with the political positions of Donald Trump and Ron DeSantis, but can’t decide between them, here is a reason for you to support DeSantis: he’s competent.
This very powerful hurricane hasn't even hit land yet and you're busy in the spin zone for how Desantis is doing?

Yea at this point there is nothing anyone can or could have done differently. My folks and my brother both live in Ft Myers. They are in mandatory evacuation areas but all have decided to stay and shelter in place. I think they are dumb, but I say that from 1700 miles away. Desantis has done what needs to be done so far. The aftermath will be where the tough decisions get made
I obviously don't know their exact situation, but I will say that evacuations can be incredibly difficult in situations like these, especially if you don't get going early enough. Flights are pretty much impossible to book, and the main highway (I-75 in this case) can become absolutely choked. There's a real risk that, if you start out, you will run out of gas and be unable to refill your tank.

Anyway, prayers for their safety, as well as everyone else on the Gulf Coast.

I obviously don't know their exact situation, but I will say that evacuations can be incredibly difficult in situations like these, especially if you don't get going early enough. Flights are pretty much impossible to book, and the main highway (I-75 in this case) can become absolutely choked. There's a real risk that, if you start out, you will run out of gas and be unable to refill your tank.

And these storms are unpredictable. Isn't uncommon for folks to evacuate into what ends up being the strom's final path

And these storms are unpredictable. Isn't uncommon for folks to evacuate into what ends up being the strom's final path
I remember reading a magazine profile of the owners of a New Orleans nursing home who were prosecuted for failing to evacuate during Katrina, which resulted in the deaths of numerous patients. On the one hand, they clearly made the wrong decision, and they should suffer the consequences. At the same time, it was hard not to have at least some sympathy for the position they were in. They had previously evacuated the nursing home multiple times for potential hurricanes, all of which turned out to be not as bad as predicted. The evacuations were incredibly disruptive, and themselves potentially life threatening for the frailest of patients. So this time they decided to ride it out and their gamble went horribly wrong. My main takeaway from that article was that I hope I never face that kind of choice.

This very powerful hurricane hasn't even hit land yet and you're busy in the spin zone for how Desantis is doing?
Not at all. I can’t stand the guy myself. But it’s pretty clear that you can’t compare him to Trump in terms of competence. At least that’s my impression.

Not at all. I can’t stand the guy myself. But it’s pretty clear that you can’t compare him to Trump in terms of competence. At least that’s my impression.

This may very well be a watershed moment for DeSantis.

Yup...and politics aside..he's looking pretty good right now.

This may very well be a watershed moment for DeSantis.
I doubt it. My guess is if he handles it competently, he gets a modest bump in a race he was already likely to win. But it's not like we're all going to be talking about this two years from now ... unless he goes hard after Trump in the primary comparing his response to Ian to Trump's with Maria.

But in general, hurricane responses can hurt you far more than they can help you.

He was a little defensive about some things today during Q&A. Amazing how easily it bubbles to the top with him.

He was a little defensive about some things today during Q&A. Amazing how easily it bubbles to the top with him.
Was kinda weird. He's doing exactly what he's supposed to do so far. As I said before, the playbook on this kind of event is well established if not set in stone. All any of our Governors have to do is follow it.

Well at least they aren't playing politics with this. DeSantis said that in his phone call to Biden, Biden said all hands on deck whatever was needed would be provided.
I’m currently watching Fox News. They’re doing a good job doing that for Desantis.

He has more credibility because he actually has a track record of serving the public in an elected role. That is something Trump never had. Trump actually made it harder on himself with all of the in-fighting. I remember during COVID, he was blaming Whitmer and other blue state governors for not being responsible. At least DeSantis and Biden are working together during a hurricane.

Users who are viewing this thread