What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Telling Your Kids Santa Is Real (1 Viewer)

Joe Bryant

Guide
Staff member
Sorry if there's another thread. Post in GMs thread made me think.

What's the feeling on how you tell your kids about Santa?

What did you tell them?

When did you stop?

Other thoughts?

Initially, just let them believe in Santa. But we always told them, they got one big present from Santa and the rest was from us

Theres usually a kid at school or an older sibling who gets to them first about No Santa
As to what happens when they confront you?

Phew, if you dont believe in Santa anymore, no more presents.

Charade continues for a few more years until everyone knows what the deal is

I don't feel like you have to tell them, it just happens with the influx of marketing and santa fun. And we just let them believe in the magic until they didn't anymore.

Mine told me a couple years ago that she knew Santa, Elf on the shelf, Great Pumpkin, Tooth Fairy, etc were not real and just let us continue doing it. Was only mad about that damn Elf and having to move it around.

I did like the episode in Ted Lasso where Sam tells Higgins' kid that its not all in one night, its in 24 different time zones and its his endurance that is his power. Made more sense.

I did like the episode in Ted Lasso where Sam tells Higgins' kid that its not all in one night, its in 24 different time zones and its his endurance that is his power. Made more sense.
This is how my dad was able to stretch out another year or two for each of me and my siblings. All Santa has to do is complete one whole time zone per hour, then move so it's a 24 hour marathon, he's not really doing it all in one night. It was a well-reasoned answer to an 8 year old, so it kept it going. Eventually they'll figure out the jig is up on their own or from their friends.

My daughter is 8 and as far as I can tell still believes, but she's definitely showing signs that she's thinking about it all. We went to a cookie decorating thing over the weekend with a Santa photo op included, and on the way she asked "is this going to be the real Santa, or just someone dressed up?" Luckily he looked 100% legit, awesome authentic looking suit and real beard but then later we swung through a mall to grab one last present and she saw the Santa there and announced "no way that's the real Santa, his beard goes up over his nose, obviously it's not real".

Why would you tell your kids there is no Santa?

Because I don't like lying to them?

I've let them all come ask me/us on their own accord and then just level with 'em. My twins are 8 and the last to "believe" but I think deep down they known the truth and are choosing to believe, which is fine. I figure this is the last year they keep the faith but it's up to them.

We told them Santa isn't real right away (maybe 2 or 3 years old). Same for Easter Bunny and all the others. Other parents at our kids daycare probably weren't terribly happy about that, but we tried to tell our kids not to tell other kids. We also told their teachers what we told our kids just so they would be prepared for any issues if it caused arguments between kids.

I've let them all come ask me/us on their own accord and then just level with 'em. My twins are 8 and the last to "believe" but I think deep down they known the truth and are choosing to believe, which is fine. I figure this is the last year they keep the faith but it's up to them.
I don't advocate lying - and the situation you described is similar to our own.

But, I assumed this was more about just flat out telling them - as opposed to responding honestly to a question.

Though, if they were really young <4 - I'd probably answer a question with a question, and let them draw their own conclusions.

I feel like it’s such a slow burn off that they don’t have this great instant epiphany and realize their parents are big fat liars.

By that age they’re so more concerned about growing up and just want more presents.

I don't advocate lying - and the situation you described is similar to our own.

But, I assumed this was more about just flat out telling them - as opposed to responding honestly to a question.

Though, if they were really young <4 - I'd probably answer a question with a question, and let them draw their own conclusions.

Mine was just four when she started thinking about the massive sprawl in LA and some old fat dude with flying reindeer getting down all those chimneys in one night let alone the rest of the world. I just said, good for you, you figured it out. Unfortunately, I didn't think to prep her kindergarten teach and got chewed out cuz my kid called everyone dumb for believing. Oops. I stood my ground tho. Couldn't lie to the kid once she was on the case. To this day she tells the story with enthusiasm and tells her audience this why she trusts me so much. I didn't lie to her. So there's that.

My oldest was born on Christmas. For 10 years we spent the holiday at the in-laws and they had a friend who grew a beard and played Santa. He would come by on Christmas morning and my son would help him deliver the stockings.

Well last year my son figured it out from friends at school and had a mental breakdown he was so mad at us. He threatens to reveal the sham to his little brother whenever he is mad at us. Diabolical Christmas baby.

We told them Santa isn't real right away (maybe 2 or 3 years old). Same for Easter Bunny and all the others. Other parents at our kids daycare probably weren't terribly happy about that, but we tried to tell our kids not to tell other kids. We also told their teachers what we told our kids just so they would be prepared for any issues if it caused arguments between kids.
You guys suck at parenting.

No really....you suck.

My older brother took great joy in letting me know when I was about six. I cried. I still give him crap about it.

No really....you suck.

Easy, champ. Lotta different ways to parent, let's be respectful.

Your pal,
Gm

No really....you suck.

Easy, champ. Lotta different ways to parent, let's be respectful.

Your pal,
Gm
I am being humorous.....but they still suck in my book.

We are talking about the magic of Christmas....you know Chrissssstmas.

No really....you suck.
Good thing I couldn't care less about your opinion.

This is what I would do. Maybe it sounds dumb to others but I really don't want to carry out some big elaborate lie to trick my kid. I know it's all in good fun, but something about it rubs me the wrong way.

We told them Santa isn't real right away (maybe 2 or 3 years old). Same for Easter Bunny and all the others.
Why?
Really good question and I should have answered that in my first post. Biggest reason is that I didn't want my kids to think that since I was lying about Santa I am also lying about my faith in God. I fully expect people to crap all over that, and plenty of people teach their kids about Santa and God, or about Santa and not God (Knowing this board), but that's how we decided to do it.

We told them Santa isn't real right away (maybe 2 or 3 years old). Same for Easter Bunny and all the others.
Why?
Really good question and I should have answered that in my first post. Biggest reason is that I didn't want my kids to think that since I was lying about Santa I am also lying about my faith in God. I fully expect people to crap all over that, and plenty of people teach their kids about Santa and God, or about Santa and not God (Knowing this board), but that's how we decided to do it.
I’m not crapping on anyone. Just couldn’t wrap my head around it

Why?
I grew up believing in Santa and God, why would you think kids would think God is pretend?

No really....you suck.
Good thing I couldn't care less about your opinion.
My god......lighten up.

Sorry if there's another thread. Post in GMs thread made me think.

What's the feeling on how you tell your kids about Santa?

What did you tell them?

When did you stop?

Other thoughts?

Didn't tell them anything. They probably figured it out years before we thought they did. It's not like them knowing or not changes much. At most you can expect like age 5? To have been firewalled. From kindergarten on it's over.

We didn't do Easter bunny or any others. Not even sure what they bring that the parents are supposed to provide. (Exception tooth fairy, we did that)

We’ve done almost all of it. Santa, Easter bunny, the elf, the tooth fairy, the great pumpkin. Eventually the kids figured it out but played along for the benefit of their younger siblings.
We even have the older kids helping with the elf most years - although this year they must be sick of it because it’s never moved until I get up in the morning.

But wait… not telling them there’s no Santa is lying, but telling them there is one isn’t ?

We just let them figure it out. Other kids/sibs/etc let the cat out of the bag eventually. None of mine ever came out and flat out asked.

FWIW… my oldest is 30 and my kids still get presents from Santa 🎅 And no, smart asses… they don’t believe he exists… it’s just a fun tradition.

Last edited:
When my son found out about Santa from some friends, he came home and confronted my wife directly about it so she spilled the beans. He was devastated at first but got over it. When I got home hours later the first thing he said was “thanks for the Xbox dad.” This was over a year after Santa had given it to him. I always joked about Santa getting all the credit for the great gifts I was buying the kids so that felt good.

my daugther made it to 6th grade? maybe longer..... I know when we sat her down she was like I know...... We only sat her down because she was changing schools and she was "old" so we didn't want her to get bullied for still "believing". My son we strung on for an extra year - until he was LIKE - TELL ME THE TRUTH RIGHT NOW!!!!! He was more excited he figured it out then upset ...lol

The only time we "lied" was she was young and said she heard from kids - my wife said they were wrong. Never spoke of it again until we gave her the "it the magic of Christmas/spirit of Christmas" that is the Santa story.

I'm almost positive she knew for some time because one year she asked Santa for the most expensive gift. I forget how the actually conversation went but it had to do with money and how she wanted a bunch of expensive stuff (Like a WII or something) - and she says I'll just ask Santa for the expensive one so you have more money for my gifts...... Little **** :lol:

some of my best memories of being a kid are my dad dressed up as santa and bringing in a sack of presents and all that and him making a little hoof print stamp that he would put out in the snow with some long lines for where santas sled landed and looking back now those memories are even more special because all i think about is how much my pop loved my sister and me to go through all that every year just to see us be in wonder and we were and it was fantastic believing in magic for even a little bit before the rest of the cruelty and crap that is the world sets in on you and now looking back that my dad is gone i guess that i miss that magic time a whole lot more and wish that it was back just my two cents take that to the bank brohans

i think a lot of how we are as adults is a direct reflection of the wonder that we experienced as a child if you grow up believing that there is magic out there you are more likely to do the things to make magic things happen when you can and magic as an adult might be having a kid that admires you and the message you stand for or the coaching and time you put in that makes a kid believe they are worthwhile or the kind words you say and the charity you show others all of that my friends can take a real firm root when you are young by believing in santa and the miracle of christmas and the season and only a scrooge would say otherwise take that to the bank bromigos

When my older daughter was 10 or 11, my wife sat her down, explained that Santa wasn't real and then added "by the way, while I'm at it, let me explain where babies come from..."

The wife and I are getting to that point with my son where he is starting to not believe imo. We have had conversations in the past 1-2 years about kids saying Santa/EasterBunny/Elf on the Shelf, etc aren't real, but we have been pretty good at persuading him they are. But now, I think he is showing more doubt about it all. He is barely interested in Elf on the Shelf anymore, he only pays attention to it when he wants to, which is annoying that at night the wife and I are scrambling around trying to decide what to do with the stupid thing and he barely notices it or cares to look for it. We are trying to have him believe as long as possible, but I'm sure it is coming to an end. We will never tell him any of that is fake and will continue to try to play it off as long as possible.

I honestly don't remember how our kids found out, who told them, or any of that. I still remember though how I found out 55ish years ago. My dad was writing checks and I asked him what he was doing and he said something like "paying Santa" and then went on to break the news.

his is what I would do. Maybe it sounds dumb to others but I really don't want to carry out some big elaborate lie to trick my kid.
Come on. It's not some elaborate lie - it's a tradition to bring magic to the holiday season.

If you actually sat down and gave it some thought - there's plenty of things we "lie" about to our children to protect them and try to steer them down the right path.

This one creates joy.

Biggest reason is that I didn't want my kids to think that since I was lying about Santa I am also lying about my faith in God.
By the time they will be old enough to put real thought into God's existence on their own, they will also be old/smart enough to figure out why you "lied" about Santa.

Last edited:
Anyway, I remember sitting in the kitchen when my step son, asked me to tell him the truth if there really was a Santa. He was a little older than "normal" as to still believing, but just loved Christmas so much I think he let himself still believe against all logic.

At that point, I figured the truth is the way I had to go at that point, and I started breaking down and crying while telling him. He asked why I was crying - and I had to explain the loss of Christmas magic and how it wouldn't ever be quite the same.

I'm not going to tell anyone how they should or shouldn't raise their kids, but I will say the "lie" is not a harmful lie. They'll grow up at some point and figure things out, and guess what? They'll want to lie to their own kids someday about it.

Why kill what little joy and magic there is in this World? You people killing that magic are missing out just as much as your kids are.

This is what I would do. Maybe it sounds dumb to others but I really don't want to carry out some big elaborate lie to trick my kid. I know it's all in good fun, but something about it rubs me the wrong way.
That was my natural inclination as a parent, too. My parents didn't put a whole lot of effort into the "Santa" aspect of Christmas, so I went from 3 on up with no Santa and I thought Christmas was still awesome. But my wife's family is really big into the Santa thing, and I was basically told I was going to cause a huge rift in the family around Christmas if I didn't go along. So this put me in the awkward spot of when our kids asked questions having to go out of my way to not be the one who "spoiled" it. All three of my kids ended up believing surprisingly long, and none of them had any sort of dramatic reversal or reveals. FWIW, even though the way we handled Christmas wasn't really my choice, it worked out fine and from what I can tell my kids all have a tremendous amount of trust in me and my wife.

Users who are viewing this thread