What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Electric Cars (Tesla and Others) (1 Viewer)

Had my first issue with the Model 3. 

Drove home in a huge rainstorm and noticed the next day the tail light had water in it and condensation. I use the app to schedule the maintenance, explaining the issue. They contact me today and the response was that it is common to have condensation in a light.

:lol:  what? Maybe in a 95 Accord it is. 

I had read about the production quality being a bit off (trim not aligning properly) and that is the issue here the light housing with the issue is not sealed tightly. 

I let the person know there is water in there and they are going to come fix it but we’ll see how this goes.
Pretty sure I had a post earlier in the thread along the lines of "priced like a luxury car, built like a 1990 Kia", quality of build issues are not new, especially with the Model 3s.

Last edited by a moderator:
Had my first issue with the Model 3. 

Drove home in a huge rainstorm and noticed the next day the tail light had water in it and condensation. I use the app to schedule the maintenance, explaining the issue. They contact me today and the response was that it is common to have condensation in a light.

:lol:  what? Maybe in a 95 Accord it is. 

I had read about the production quality being a bit off (trim not aligning properly) and that is the issue here the light housing with the issue is not sealed tightly. 

I let the person know there is water in there and they are going to come fix it but we’ll see how this goes.
I get a little bit in my tail lights but haven't done anything about it.  If it is bad enough then Tesla will replace it.  I'm in a Model 3 group on the facebooks and more than a few have had the problem.

Pretty sure I had a post earlier in the thread along the lines of "priced like a luxury car, built like a 1990 Kia", quality of build issues are not new, especially with the Model 3s.
The trim not aligning I have seen on quite a few of the models after I read about it.

It is kind of crazy that this is an issue.

So far the repair service has been pretty flawless. 

Requesting the service was easy on the app, they were able to come to my house to fix on my schedule, seems like it went well.

Incidentally had my first issue with the iPad touch screen thing as well yesterday. It was just frozen, could change between different screens but lots of the features weren't working.

Did the hard reboot while driving and after about 30 seconds it popped back up.

I've had a long range Y for a week now, and am loving the car.  I had a couple of picks to nit that were taken care of in 15 minutes when I stopped in the service center while in the area (paint chip on corner of door, and a cosmetic seal that was pinched).  The build quality was fine.  

I've had a long range Y for a week now, and am loving the car.  I had a couple of picks to nit that were taken care of in 15 minutes when I stopped in the service center while in the area (paint chip on corner of door, and a cosmetic seal that was pinched).  The build quality was fine.  
what’s the range?

Test drove a Performance Y last weekend. It fixes all the small complaints I have with the Model 3 (all related to car and ride height). One day when my loan is about equal to the trade-in value, I'll upgrade. Had I known Elon time would completely flip, I probably would have waited a year for the Y, but I didn't want to wait 2+ years to get into an elective vehicle last summer.

The paint chips super easy...at least it did on my 2018 3.  I had a handful of chips on my rear doors.  

I'm officially missing mine now.  Kids back in school and I'm sitting in carpool lines and driving 50-100 miles a day depending on after school activities.  Having to schedule my first oil change in my truck for next week.   :hot:

Ha! Fair point. Musk and Tesla tend to over promise and under deliver, especially on timelines. While I don't doubt their ability to develop a fully autonomous vehicle, I doubt they can do it on that timeline and at that price. But I hope they do, I'd love to buy one. 
yeah...double the timeline.  Just doesn't make sense to over promise and push off customers on the fence who might buy now.

I can't consider myself very knowledgeable on this battery technology, but it should like in a few years charging speeds might not be an issue anymore.  Something about the tabs on the current batteries are greatly limited on how much juice they can send to your car.  The new tabless battery design will solve those problems.   Faster charging, more range, lounger lasting...This was what made me hesitant to jump right back in to a new Tesla.

I've enjoyed my Tacoma so much I definitely see a Cyber Truck in my future.  

Ha! Fair point. Musk and Tesla tend to over promise and under deliver, especially on timelines. While I don't doubt their ability to develop a fully autonomous vehicle, I doubt they can do it on that timeline and at that price. But I hope they do, I'd love to buy one. 
5 years ago Elon said we’re 3 years from fully autonomous (five 9s) driving.

Its called TeslaTime for a reason.

I'm trying out the acceleration boost on my long range Y.  First time I smashed the pedal, I thought "Oh yeah, totally worth it!".  I will most likely keep this option.
Forner colleague of mine took me for a ride in his 4 year old P90D one day this summer. After he stomped the go pedal to shoot a gap that I didn’t really think was there, I asked if he ever grew tired of having Ludicrous. “Not yet”

jb1020 said:
I can't consider myself very knowledgeable on this battery technology, but it should like in a few years charging speeds might not be an issue anymore.  Something about the tabs on the current batteries are greatly limited on how much juice they can send to your car.  The new tabless battery design will solve those problems.   Faster charging, more range, lounger lasting...This was what made me hesitant to jump right back in to a new Tesla.

The tabs also break during normal wear and tear and in minor impacts.  Effectively totaling the battery pack.  

Have you seen the Nikola Badger?

Put my deposit down on a Cybertruck.  I love this Tacoma I got, but miss the hell out of a Tesla.  Figured this would be a match made in heaven for me.  

What pushed me over the edge is the price increase on the FSD.  It goes up from $8k to $10k tonight, supposedly.  Elon says it will only continue to go up.  By the time the truck is ready it could be a $15k option, if not more.  

The Massive size still concerns me, but if it drives itself what’s to worry about?? Ha

So if you’re considering I’d go ahead and reserve today and lock in the price.  It’s totally refundable and only $100.

Put my deposit down on a Cybertruck.  I love this Tacoma I got, but miss the hell out of a Tesla.  Figured this would be a match made in heaven for me.  

What pushed me over the edge is the price increase on the FSD.  It goes up from $8k to $10k tonight, supposedly.  Elon says it will only continue to go up.  By the time the truck is ready it could be a $15k option, if not more.  

The Massive size still concerns me, but if it drives itself what’s to worry about?? Ha

So if you’re considering I’d go ahead and reserve today and lock in the price.  It’s totally refundable and only $100.
Get in line, pal.  I can't wait for this thing.  What motor configuration did you order? I ordered Dual with FSD but contemplating changing to Tri. Just not sure if that will screw up my place in line and which one they'll produce first.

Why the tesla and why not wait for the ford f150 electric?

It will depend on price and range, but I am interested in it. I think the reliability will be better with ford. I am worried that it may be priced too high for me though.

Get in line, pal.  I can't wait for this thing.  What motor configuration did you order? I ordered Dual with FSD but contemplating changing to Tri. Just not sure if that will screw up my place in line and which one they'll produce first.
I went with the Dual.  The Tri motor sounds crazy, but I don't know when that would ever come into play for me, other than the range.   500+ miles would be nice.   I'm not sure I want one of the first ones right off the line.  I'm sure I'll be antsy as hell though.   I doubt they run into the same issues as they did with the 3.  

Why the tesla and why not wait for the ford f150 electric?

It will depend on price and range, but I am interested in it. I think the reliability will be better with ford. I am worried that it may be priced too high for me though.
Tesla has a 10+ year head start  in the EV world and a nationwide super charging network.  Plus the FSD capabilities.   And its really ####### cool looking!  Hahaha  

I'd be willing to bet apples to apples, Tesla will be considerably cheaper than Ford.  Like 10-15%.  

Tesla has a 10+ year head start  in the EV world and a nationwide super charging network.  Plus the FSD capabilities.   And its really ####### cool looking!  Hahaha  

I'd be willing to bet apples to apples, Tesla will be considerably cheaper than Ford.  Like 10-15%.  
This. And I really like the tilting bed with the auto bed cover.  I love the exoskeleton design concept, and that's where the relative savings comes from. And I feel like at this point Tesla gets electric vehicles in general.  I'm not sure Ford does or will. I like the fact that Tesla operates a little more like a tech company with the OTA firmware revisions. Ford and the other legacy manufacturers have blocked themselves by doing things like that by their dealer structure.  No way Ford can get away with doing OTA updates. Their dealers will fight them tooth and nail.  They want the vehicles coming in to the dealerships for updates if they even offer them.  Look at GM with the Hummer.  They're hamstrung by the dealers. One of the biggest benefits of electric vehicles is they really do reduce service requirements and render local dealers somewhat obsolete.

jb1020 said:

I'd wager on the side of FSD coming down in price.  Hardly anyone buying in this thread has anted up for it and most of the cars I see for sale don't have it.  I don't see how raising the price will entice more people into paying.  I suspect at some point they'll offer it at a reduced cost to pick up the revenue they are missing out on.

I'd wager on the side of FSD coming down in price.  Hardly anyone buying in this thread has anted up for it and most of the cars I see for sale don't have it.  I don't see how raising the price will entice more people into paying.  I suspect at some point they'll offer it at a reduced cost to pick up the revenue they are missing out on.
I can totally see that happening as well.  If that's the case I'll just cancel my reservation.  

When I had my 3 I believe it was $4,000 to upgrade to FSD.  I didn't have AP at the time so that would have been another $3k.  I was never interested.  Thats about when Elon said the price will only go up and in 18-20 month or so its steadily been raised to $6k, then $8k now $10k.  

If the price is $15k when the truck finally gets here, I got some instant equity.   $100 down now is the safest bet I've ever made.  

Users who are viewing this thread