What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Electric Cars (Tesla and Others) (2 Viewers)

Exactly, This happens in a 4runner and the media doesn't even cover it.  Authorities just chalk it up to reckless operators.  

culdeus said:
I mean how about this theory.

Guy gets in the car, not being familiar with the power and floors it and loses control mistaking gas for break and hits the trees, he then crawls over the driver seat because the door was stuck closed and tried to get out and burned alive.  

It's been speculated (I don't trust anything) the passenger was not wearing seatbelt. 

I think it's highly likely FSD/AP/EAP/CC was not in use for even one rotation of the wheel.  It's just too hard to get it to engage as it is when running with stripes, let alone from a dead stop where there are no stripes.

-----------------

The actions required above are from the perspective of a Model S/X owner, my Model 3 is all right stalk controlled for this with the increase coming from the right scroll wheel.  That (Model 3) would be a lot easier to mess with from the passenger seat.  So you are now asking passenger to reach across the wheel (in this situation) to get to the stalk of the S/X.

-------------------

TLDR I doubt AP played even the slightest role in any of this.
Or, a third person was in the driver's seat and was able to flee. There are many scenarios that make more sense than auto-pilot. It's not worth jumping through mental gymnastics to find a way that AP could have caused the accident until there's actual evidence that it did. The only evidence so far, is the assumption by the constable, who also said the fire burned out of control for 4 hours. Which also turns out to be not true:

https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-battery-fire-fud-debunked-tx-fire-chief/

Or, a third person was in the driver's seat and was able to flee. There are many scenarios that make more sense than auto-pilot. It's not worth jumping through mental gymnastics to find a way that AP could have caused the accident until there's actual evidence that it did. The only evidence so far, is the assumption by the constable, who also said the fire burned out of control for 4 hours. Which also turns out to be not true:

https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-battery-fire-fud-debunked-tx-fire-chief/
If there was a driver, he closed the door back on departing the car, or jumped out the window that was about the size of a washing machine window.  Then there were witnesses that saw the car driving off, all of them have aligned to say there were just two in the car and stuck with that story.  Care to explain that?

Last edited by a moderator:
If there was a driver, he closed the door back on departing the car, or jumped out the window that was about the size of a washing machine window.  Then there were witnesses that saw the car driving off, all of them have aligned to say there were just two in the car and stuck with that story.  Care to explain that?
I am not investigating the accident, I'm just speculating as much as everyone else. 

However, witnesses could be protecting someone they know that made a huge mistake.

I am agreeing with you that AP does not make sense and am offering another possibility that is more likely (IMO) than AP.

There have been a few new electric vehicles released in the last 2 weeks and they are all luxury cars with tons of gadgets.

I do not want auto-pilot, adaptive cruise control, giant monitors, power seats, lane departure warning, etc.  All I want is AWD with lots of power and lots of batteries.

The problem is the cheap ones do not have enough power and as soon as a car manufacture adds power they add all the luxury items.

Hopefully soon the manufacturers will release more options in the electric car market.

:edit:

Adding links for the two new useless electric vehicles.

https://www.motortrend.com/news/2022-mercedes-benz-eqs-first-look-review/

https://arstechnica.com/cars/2021/04/this-electric-fastback-is-the-next-audi-a6-e-tron-due-in-late-2022/

There have been a few new electric vehicles released in the last 2 weeks and they are all luxury cars with tons of gadgets.

I do not want auto-pilot, adaptive cruise control, giant monitors, power seats, lane departure warning, etc.  All I want is AWD with lots of power and lots of batteries.

The problem is the cheap ones do not have enough power and as soon as a car manufacture adds power they add all the luxury items.

Hopefully soon the manufacturers will release more options in the electric car market.

:edit:

Adding links for the two new useless electric vehicles.

https://www.motortrend.com/news/2022-mercedes-benz-eqs-first-look-review/

https://arstechnica.com/cars/2021/04/this-electric-fastback-is-the-next-audi-a6-e-tron-due-in-late-2022/
I think these attack the Model S segment quite well.  There is as much profit in luxury car as the MSRP in economy cars, so it's understandable why these are being released.  

The refresh S/X are underwhelming (imo)  

I am not investigating the accident, I'm just speculating as much as everyone else. 

However, witnesses could be protecting someone they know that made a huge mistake.

I am agreeing with you that AP does not make sense and am offering another possibility that is more likely (IMO) than AP.
They now have video of the passengers entering the car, one driver side and one passenger side.  AFAIK there won't be any other information released as all the black box stuff simply burned up.

Got a notification Tuesday that my 12V battery needed to be changed. It has 65,000 miles on it, but I'm in the last 6 mos of my 3 yr/ 36,000 mi warranty (bought used from Tesla).

Went on the app Weds and scheduled a mobile appt for Thursday morning between 8:30-12:30. Guy pulled into my driveway at 9:30 and swapped out the battery, made sure all my firmware was updated, told me I probably have a couple thousand miles left on my current set of tires, and was out of here by 10:00. No charge.

He also told me, while he was in the middle of changing it that he'd, "Never seen a car like yours before." Not really what you want to hear while someone is working on your car.

2 years, 17k miles and I haven't done a damn thing maintenance wise for my 2019 Model 3.  I had one fault message that resulted in mobile service replacing a wiring harness under the passenger seat.  Took him all of 15 minutes.

did he elaborate?  ...or just let that thing float and stink up the place?
My car is a '15 S. They changed the body type that year, so some '15s have the nose cone and some are the newer style, without. 

They made other changes as well, and the '15s with the nose cone have the old battery placement, but the wiring is consistent with the new body style. So, he took off the frame of the frunk expecting to see one thing, found the battery where he thought he would, and discovered everything else was different. It was a mix of what he sees between two different body styles, a first for him. 

Still loving the LRM3.  I will say that the rated range vs. what we achieve is far enough apart to make me question the road trip estimates.  I don't really have any plans to road trip in it anytime soon however. 

Still loving the LRM3.  I will say that the rated range vs. what we achieve is far enough apart to make me question the road trip estimates.  I don't really have any plans to road trip in it anytime soon however. 
What range are you getting?

There are 11 vehicles with charges at your current odometer reading.
2 Vehicles have a higher range. 9 Vehicles have a lower range.
Your range is better than 82 % of similar users.
Data And Settings

Your Current RangeFleet Average RangeRange DifferencePercent

351.94   345.83   6.11   101.8 %

Actually entertaining the idea of selling my 2019 M3 LR RWD.  I could potentially get almost what I paid for it.  {47.9k} Because the used market is insane.  I'd put it towards a performance MY.  I can wait the 2 - 3 months it would take.

Just placed an order for the Standard Range Plus M3!  I'm so excited to be back in the game.  

We've had a mess of cars since I totaled my 3 nearly 2 years ago...Wife bought a Subaru Ascent with my settlement for the 3.  We thought it was best for the family of 5, but its short on space, and the kids are still growing.  Then I bought a Tacoma in hopes getting a  boat...well we got a boat, but the Taco just doesn't cut it with towing the boat.  

Wife ended up getting a Suburban, plenty of room and will tow the boat.  

My 3 will be the daily driver.  I drive about 75 miles a day between school and afterschool activities.  All of that was starting to add up.  Hope these are the final autos we have to buy for a while.  

Have to wait til January though.  Thats the bummer.  Went white, with the aeros...

damn...the Tesla Gods smiled on me.  

Ordered on Sept 6th.  Was given a January estimate.  I actually changed my color twice, last time being 9/9.  Got an updated delivery window of Nov 10-30.  

Just got a call that its in town and I can pick it up tomorrow.  Gotta do one more landscaping pick up with my truck before its traded in.  I'm so pumped!!!

:pickle:

Ordered on Sept 6th.  Was given a January estimate.  I actually changed my color twice, last time being 9/9.  Got an updated delivery window of Nov 10-30.  

Just got a call that its in town and I can pick it up tomorrow.  Gotta do one more landscaping pick up with my truck before its traded in.  I'm so pumped!!!

Congrats!

Test drove a friend's new Performance 3 (I think I said that right).

It was amazing how different the driving experience is. Insanely quiet and smooth increidble acceleration, instant braking, and no coasting.

It would be a blast driving it around town, It may be a little harsh on the freeway with the tight suspension (maybe not).

Congrats!   Did they just have the same model with your options at another store?  I wasn’t sure how much inventory Tesla carries. 

Congrats!   Did they just have the same model with your options at another store?  I wasn’t sure how much inventory Tesla carries. 
Tesla carries very little true inventory. You can not normally walk into a store and select the exact car you're going to buy like the traditional dealership model. Most 3s and Ys are shipped to regional areas and matched to buyers en-route. When something like this happens, it's typically the result of a sale not going through (for whatever reason) for a car previously matched to another buyer.

I got a 2017 Model S six months ago through Tesla. Wow. I had owned my previous car, a 2003 Infiniti G35 coupe, for more than 17 years. Talk about a step up in technology! I kept the previous car so long because for the last nine years I've been living downtown and driving less than 2,000 miles a year. Getting a new car seemed like a waste. 

I had always liked the look of the Model S. My mom has an early one, 2014 I believe. But I was closer to going with no car than getting a Tesla. What put the possibility of getting a Tesla into my mind was when a friend in my apartment building got a Model 3. He told me how the valet here takes the car and charges it for you at no additional cost. In six months, I've never charged the car myself except the one time I took a long trip! It just always has juice! Then with the pandemic, I didn't want to take public transportation or rideshare anymore. It felt like time to get a new car.

But if I had known what the Tesla could do, I would have gotten one sooner! I really thought autopilot was going to be like a novelty that I would never use.  I guess my mother has autopilot 1, but she never uses it. Since I got the car used from the Tesla site, it's fully loaded with FSD. And I use it all the time. Most of the time I'm on a freeway/highway, I'm in autopilot. I actually feel it's safer. I feel like I'm a manager in the driver's seat, and because I'm not driving I can see the big picture. I know what all the cars around me are doing. I don't allow it to change lanes on its own. I did try that, but I prefer to handle it. And since the car will brake on its own or react to what's going on in front of you, I can really make sure the lane is clear through the mirror and screen before triggering it to change lanes without the usual concern of someone in front slamming on the brakes while you're checking. On surface streets, I go in and out of autopilot a ton. We tend to drive the same streets over and over again, so you get to know what the autopilot can handle well and when you should take over. But usually going into a light I'll turn on the autopilot and have it stop itself, then I can sit at the light without my foot on the brake. Just that reprieve makes driving so much better. I feel none of the frustration of dealing with traffic anymore. It's like I'm not even in traffic. I'm removed from it all and watching other people deal with traffic while enjoying my luxurious space.

It did take some time to get used to the autopilot and the brake regeneration, but now I love both. The car just feels like it's gliding along. The acceleration also makes driving less stressful, because I know I can just take what I want. And the way the car slows without braking and how deftly it handles slow speeds is an underrated aspect. I can't even drive a female friend's car these days. It's like torture.

I feel like a lot of people still don't know of what a Tesla is capable. Because I don't see why anyone would buy a BMW, Mercedes, Audi or any comparable luxury sedan over a Tesla. I look at everyone else's car right now and think mine is better. Ferrari? Ppphhh, can it drive itself? If I had all the money in the world and could choose any car to drive, it would definitely be the new Plaid Plus.

I also got some cosmetic work done to it. Here's a pic.

They have a pretty big distribution center in Jackson, MS now, but I had to have just gotten lucky.  Likely someone canceled their order, or upgraded.  Who knows.  Demand here isn't nearly like it is in other parts of the US.  

There is a noticeable (at least to me) difference in the SR+ and the Dual Motor AWD I used to have.  Not nearly as peppy right off the line.  I love it though.  Pretty awesome car for the price, IMO.  

I feel like a lot of people still don't know of what a Tesla is capable. Because I don't see why anyone would buy a BMW, Mercedes, Audi or any comparable luxury sedan over a Tesla
Aren't you paying twice as much for a 2017 Model S as opposed to a 2017 whatever else?

My oldest son will inherit my 2011 Prius when he officially gets his license early next year so I was in the market for a new car. I knew I wanted an electric but, since I’m a drummer as well (not my day job ;)  ) I wanted something with some room to schlepp gear. Aren’t many options at all for all-electric SUVs (more now with the new VW id4) so I decided to take the plunge and just put my order in for a Model Y. (Set to arrive between Dec 8 and 28)

I couldn’t be more excited and already have my Amazon shopping cart full of some Tesla accessories, like the hub center caps (plan on taking off the hub caps), some center console organizers, and considering buying the spoiler wing (anyone have experience with installing one? Pros/cons?). 

I did NOT spring the extra 10k for self driving, since I think the Auto-pilot (that comes standard) will do the job in stop n go traffic.  I like that they offer a $200/month subscription model so I will try out self-driving at some point  

anyway, I’m on board now. 

Any thoughts on Aptera?

1. It looks kinda crazy. Would be interesting to drive both on- and off-road (though not sure how the tire/wheel covers would do on uneven terrain).

2. I like the PV charging: up to 40 miles “free”, if you have adequate sun exposure.

3. It will be cheaper to purchase than a Model 3.

4. Up to 1000(!) mile battery range. Theoretically, never need to recharge if driving < 40 miles daily.

It only costs $100 to reserve, which is fully refundable. Production beginning later this year.

Any thoughts on Aptera?

1. It looks kinda crazy. Would be interesting to drive both on- and off-road (though not sure how the tire/wheel covers would do on uneven terrain).

2. I like the PV charging: up to 40 miles “free”, if you have adequate sun exposure.

4. Up to 1000(!) mile battery range. Theoretically, never need to recharge if driving < 40 miles daily.

It only costs $100 to reserve, which is fully refundable. Production beginning later this year.

I've seen them on Munro and Rich Rebuilds. It seems legit.  The hub motor durability is my main concern.  HMs do well in ebikes so it's not like there aren't learning cycles out there. (so to speak)

Any thoughts on Aptera?

Could be a good commuter. The more of these concepts that come out (and more importantly are successful) the better.

I got a 2017 Model S six months ago through Tesla. Wow. I had owned my previous car, a 2003 Infiniti G35 coupe, for more than 17 years. Talk about a step up in technology! I kept the previous car so long because for the last nine years I've been living downtown and driving less than 2,000 miles a year. Getting a new car seemed like a waste. 

I had always liked the look of the Model S. My mom has an early one, 2014 I believe. But I was closer to going with no car than getting a Tesla. What put the possibility of getting a Tesla into my mind was when a friend in my apartment building got a Model 3. He told me how the valet here takes the car and charges it for you at no additional cost. In six months, I've never charged the car myself except the one time I took a long trip! It just always has juice! Then with the pandemic, I didn't want to take public transportation or rideshare anymore. It felt like time to get a new car.

But if I had known what the Tesla could do, I would have gotten one sooner! I really thought autopilot was going to be like a novelty that I would never use.  I guess my mother has autopilot 1, but she never uses it. Since I got the car used from the Tesla site, it's fully loaded with FSD. And I use it all the time. Most of the time I'm on a freeway/highway, I'm in autopilot. I actually feel it's safer. I feel like I'm a manager in the driver's seat, and because I'm not driving I can see the big picture. I know what all the cars around me are doing. I don't allow it to change lanes on its own. I did try that, but I prefer to handle it. And since the car will brake on its own or react to what's going on in front of you, I can really make sure the lane is clear through the mirror and screen before triggering it to change lanes without the usual concern of someone in front slamming on the brakes while you're checking. On surface streets, I go in and out of autopilot a ton. We tend to drive the same streets over and over again, so you get to know what the autopilot can handle well and when you should take over. But usually going into a light I'll turn on the autopilot and have it stop itself, then I can sit at the light without my foot on the brake. Just that reprieve makes driving so much better. I feel none of the frustration of dealing with traffic anymore. It's like I'm not even in traffic. I'm removed from it all and watching other people deal with traffic while enjoying my luxurious space.

It did take some time to get used to the autopilot and the brake regeneration, but now I love both. The car just feels like it's gliding along. The acceleration also makes driving less stressful, because I know I can just take what I want. And the way the car slows without braking and how deftly it handles slow speeds is an underrated aspect. I can't even drive a female friend's car these days. It's like torture.

I feel like a lot of people still don't know of what a Tesla is capable. Because I don't see why anyone would buy a BMW, Mercedes, Audi or any comparable luxury sedan over a Tesla. I look at everyone else's car right now and think mine is better. Ferrari? Ppphhh, can it drive itself? If I had all the money in the world and could choose any car to drive, it would definitely be the new Plaid Plus.

I also got some cosmetic work done to it. Here's a pic.
Great post. I was about to start a new thread asking for recommendations for the same luxury sedan options you outlined. Have been leaning towards the Tesla S

Great post. I was about to start a new thread asking for recommendations for the same luxury sedan options you outlined. Have been leaning towards the Tesla S
Had it for a year now. I’ve paid less than $100 in electricity for two long trips and nothing for maintenance. When I had an issue with a door handle getting stuck, they came out to my place to fix it under warranty. And I got it for such a good deal ($48,500 fully loaded with FSD, then $2,500 in the cosmetic upgrades), I could probably sell it for a $10k profit, but it’s too much fun!

Hard not to love this thing with gas prices where they are and free charging at the office.  Even with super high gas only spending pennies per mile to get around.

Considering doing a Texas to Florida in the M3 for the gas savings.  Going 1800 miles in my Volvo SUV gonna cost at least 500+ more.  Plus you actually have to drive that car :rollseyes:

My longest trip has been Northern Virginia to Bloomington, IN in my 2019 RWD Long Range Model 3.  Was smooth as silk, a little additional time and planning for Superchargers, but nothing major.

Looking to join the club.  Our car situation is my 17 Ram 2500,  wifes 15 Honda Odyssey.  Currently shopping for something for our 15 year old that will be getting his permit soon.  Very limited selection for cheap used cars, so we're thinking of just giving him the Odyssey and ordering a new 3 for the wife that commutes about 50 miles/day.  Only other real consideration is what to use for the travel vehicle (this may sway us from the 3 to the Y?, or we just use the odyssey).

Questions:

3 vs Y.  We've been in both, the Y seems roomier, is that the only difference?

What accessories are necessary?

Anything else we need to be aware of?

Looking to join the club.  Our car situation is my 17 Ram 2500,  wifes 15 Honda Odyssey.  Currently shopping for something for our 15 year old that will be getting his permit soon.  Very limited selection for cheap used cars, so we're thinking of just giving him the Odyssey and ordering a new 3 for the wife that commutes about 50 miles/day.  Only other real consideration is what to use for the travel vehicle (this may sway us from the 3 to the Y?, or we just use the odyssey).

Questions:

I mean the y and 3 are really really similar.  It is gonna come down to budget and availability concerns.  I'm not sure which you can get faster.  

I know it's something people adjust to but I don't like the view from the driver's seat out the back of the y.   

Would strongly suggest getting xlpel film on at least the front end.  

Questions:

I switched from the 3 to the Y about 6 months ago. The Y fixes almost every last complaint that I had with the 3.

The Y is larger and sits higher off the ground. This extends to a higher seating position, more headroom, more leg-room and more "trunk" space. It's a small SUV/CUV, call it similar to the size differences between a Honda CRV and Honda Corolla.

To re-affirm what culdeus said, the view out the back window was bad with the 3 and is worse with the Y.  You do get used to it. Front view is wide-wide open, as I'm sure you've noticed in your test drive.

I mean the y and 3 are really really similar.  It is gonna come down to budget and availability concerns.  I'm not sure which you can get faster.  

I know it's something people adjust to but I don't like the view from the driver's seat out the back of the y.   

Would strongly suggest getting xlpel film on at least the front end.  
Meh.  I didn't get anything put on my 2019 3 and it still looks great.  I think the whole ceramic coating thing is overblown personally.

I switched from the 3 to the Y about 6 months ago. The Y fixes almost every last complaint that I had with the 3.

The Y is larger and sits higher off the ground. This extends to a higher seating position, more headroom, more leg-room and more "trunk" space. It's a small SUV/CUV, call it similar to the size differences between a Honda CRV and Honda Corolla.

To re-affirm what culdeus said, the view out the back window was bad with the 3 and is worse with the Y.  You do get used to it. Front view is wide-wide open, as I'm sure you've noticed in your test drive.
If the Y had rear captains chairs, it would be a slam dunk because it would fit the bill for our travel car.  The X is just ridiculously priced.  I think we're leaning 3.

😄Honda Corolla.

Users who are viewing this thread