What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Texans shifting focus to Mario Williams (1 Viewer)

jeter23

Footballguy
On the Hot List, Pasquerelli is reporting that the Texans have been focusing on Williams all day and have had NO contact with Bush's agent. He also said that more money has been offered to Williams that to Bush. He did say this was circumstantial, but it is interesting.

Last edited by a moderator:
Seriously, if the Texans pass on Reggie Bush, they should fire the entire front office and admin team, sans Kubiak. That would be a stain on that franchise for YEARS.

:eek:

"circumstantial" is that a new code word for BS?
The only problem with that thinking is that HOU has absolutely no reason to BS. They don't have leverage on Bush - he wants at least 10% more than Smith got last year and he won't relent.

They don't have leverage on Williams - he knows what the #2 got last season and all he needs to do is sign for about a $21M signing bonus & he'll make more than he would being picked at #2 - he improves his lot in life by at least $1M immediately.

They don't have leverage with any other team in the league - no one else wants Bush @ the $30M signing bonus - he's a cap wrecker for a RBBC RB - and don't think HOU isn't thinking that way either (but a few teams would probably show interest at a $20M signing bonus like he'd get at #2).

HOU is pretty much stuck with taking either Bush or Williams, and they are obviously balking at Bush's price tag - probabaly not even in their neighborhood (and don't forget that Kubiak spent years under Shanahan and saw what he did with RBs picked later in the draft).

The only problem with that thinking is that HOU has absolutely no reason to BS. They don't have leverage on Bush - he wants at least 10% more than Smith got last year and he won't relent.

They don't have leverage on Williams - he knows what the #2 got last season and all he needs to do is sign for about a $21M signing bonus & he'll make more than he would being picked at #2 - he improves his lot in life by at least $1M immediately.

They don't have leverage with any other team in the league - no one else wants Bush @ the $30M signing bonus - he's a cap wrecker for a RBBC RB - and don't think HOU isn't thinking that way either (but a few teams would probably show interest at a $20M signing bonus like he'd get at #2).

HOU is pretty much stuck with taking either Bush or Williams, and they are obviously balking at Bush's price tag - probabaly not even in their neighborhood (and don't forget that Kubiak spent years under Shanahan and saw what he did with RBs picked later in the draft).
The NFL draft is the best reality program evah!!

Seriously, if the Texans pass on Reggie Bush, they should fire the entire front office and admin team, sans Kubiak. That would be a stain on that franchise that would be a stain on that franchise for YEARS.

Says you. Bush at the number they'll have to pay could wreck the franchise for a decade or more. They'll be tied to a large cap number for a part time RB, and they'll still have lots of holes elsewhere that won't get patched because of that. And that doesn't even begin to go into Bush's free rent situation that paints his character quite clearly if true.

Seriously, if the Texans pass on Reggie Bush, they should fire the entire front office and admin team, sans Kubiak. That would be a stain on that franchise that would be a stain on that franchise for YEARS.

I dont necessaraly agree. If Reggie wants all kinds of money for being a RB that will most likely share time, it would be stupid for the Texans to commit so much of their money to him.

:goodposting: Though I think they do have some leverage. Telling Bush he wont be the #1 pick in the draft, which will be a decent amount of money difference IMHO.

Yea, this is a strange rumor even for draft time. Williams is a very good looking propect but passing on Bush here would be downright twilightzone. In a strange way you could actually compare Mario Williams to Akili Smith. Both really only came on mid to late in their last season and then in the post season workouts. Heard a stat that I haven't verified that in his last 23 games Williams only had at least one sack in 11 of them. If that's true it might raise some questions. Not about if he's a top 10 prospect(to everyone but Bayless) but certainly it might make me shy away from him at 1 overall.

espn.com report

Even as Houston Texans officials continued to insist they have made no decision about the first selection in the draft, there were strong indications Friday afternoon that the team has redirected its focus to North Carolina State defensive end Mario Williams.Texans executives were in substantive negotiations with Ben Dogra, the representative for Williams, throughout the day. Conversely, ESPN.com learned that the agent for Southern California tailback and Heisman Trophy winner Reggie Bush had not heard from the Texans, as of late Friday afternoon, in more than 24 hours.The two sides spoke twice Thursday, but only briefly and made no progress toward an accord. During the week, progress was incremental and one person close to the discussions termed them "a little bit like being in quicksand."In addition, league sources told ESPN.com that, in terms of guaranteed money, the latest offer made to Williams exceeds the best proposal made to Bush.Minus any conversations with the Bush camp since Thursday, there seemed little chance the Texans could strike a pre-draft accord with the draft's highest-profile performer even if they were to jump-start the negotiations on Friday evening.Texans general manager Charley Casserly had cautioned earlier in the week that anyone concluding the team had decided on Bush and was only using Williams as leverage was mistaken. He reiterated that the Texans were serious about both players, negotiating with both agents, and that one of the two would be the top pick.Dogra, however, was originally reluctant to enter into negotiations because he felt that his client might be used to force Bush into a deal. Clearly, the Texans convinced him that was not the case.Were the Texans to choose Williams, it would mark the first time since 2000 that a defensive player was the first prospect off the board. The Cleveland Browns chose defensive Courtney Brown with the first pick that year.The choice of Williams by the Texans could also dramatically alter the landscape of the early segment of the first round. The New Orleans Saints, with the second choice, have indicated they would snap up Bush if he fell to their slot. But the Saints had hinted, in general, that they might entertain trade offers for their pick.The availability of Bush at the No. 2 spot would almost certainly elicit trade offers.Len Pasquarelli is a senior NFL writer for ESPN.com.

Seriously, if the Texans pass on Reggie Bush, they should fire the entire front office and admin team, sans Kubiak.  That would be a stain on that franchise that would be a stain on that franchise for YEARS.

I dont necessaraly agree. If Reggie wants all kinds of money for being a RB that will most likely share time, it would be stupid for the Texans to commit so much of their money to him.
:goodposting: Even JAA gets the ties to the salary cap & the potential future implications that others apparently don't understand.

JAA, I'm beginning to hold out hope for you, my friend. ;)

Something I find interesting is that Hou chose only Williams as the only other #1 ... No Brick

Something I find interesting is that Hou chose only Williams as the only other #1 ... No Brick
I thought the exact same thing - and O-line is where they need the most help. Ferguson would probably make the biggest difference between what player they draft & what they currently have at the position. He would also do wonders in allowing Carr to reach his potential (and stay alive as well).

espn.com report

In addition, league sources told ESPN.com that, in terms of guaranteed money, the latest offer made to Williams exceeds the best proposal made to Bush.

:shock: Interesting. I'm curious what the thinking on that is.
Bush is likely a part time player. You don't give starting stud QB money to a rookie RB who can't hold up to more than 15-16 touches a game.

Seriously, if the Texans pass on Reggie Bush, they should fire the entire front office and admin team, sans Kubiak.  That would be a stain on that franchise that would be a stain on that franchise for YEARS.

:goodposting: Even JAA gets the ties to the salary cap & the potential future implications that others apparently don't understand.

The only problem with using salary is that the Texans may now have the highest priced DL in the NFLWeaver just got 12 million signing bonus, r. smith got huge money two year ago, they have dead money from cutting Gary Walker, and Seth Payne is earning decent starters money.

In terms of drafts picks, the texans just on the DL

1st overall - williams

17th overall- Travis Johnson

26th overall- Babin

and a 3rd rounder with a 1st round tender - Peek

BTW, the Texans defense was statistically worse than the offense in 2005 with that type of investment of picks and money.

Yea, this is a strange rumor even for draft time. Williams is a very good looking propect but passing on Bush here would be downright twilightzone. In a strange way you could actually compare Mario Williams to Akili Smith. Both really only came on mid to late in their last season and then in the post season workouts. Heard a stat that I haven't verified that in his last 23 games Williams only had at least one sack in 11 of them. If that's true it might raise some questions. Not about if he's a top 10 prospect(to everyone but Bayless) but certainly it might make me shy away from him at 1 overall.
He had 8 of his 13 sacks in two games against bad teams last year. The 14.5 you read includes his bowl game. Jeremy Trueblood had a war with him and won most of the battles. Mario never sniffed the QB, no sacks, no pressures, 4 solos, and True destroyed him on a block that sprung an RB for a long TD.

The only problem with using salary is that the Texans may now have the highest pricest DL in the NFLWeaver just got 12 million signing bonus, r. smith got huge money two year ago, they have dead money from cutting Gary Walker, and Seth Payne is earning decent starters money.

1st overall - williams

26th overall- Babin

BTW, the Texans defense was statistically worse than the offense in 2005 with that type of investment of picks and money.
Good argument, and plausible.

ok i am seeing alot of people giving the Texans grief over possibly not taking Reggie Bush.

lets break this down from a different light:

1: they have Dom Davis... who is exceptional as well... certainly gets the job done.

2: there are 2 strikes in my eyes on Bush right now. the New Era incident, his current money first attitude. somehow he thinks he is better then Barry Sanders who went 3rd overall there fore he should get paid like a QB.... i'm sorry Reggie but your no better then LT, u havnt proven to anyone u are a 25+ carry back. you are exceptional and can do alot of different things on the football field but u do not deserve what u are asking for.

3: Mario Williams is as close to a Julius Peppers as u can get, and quite honestly i think the Texans would actualy be a BETTER football team with him on the defense then Bush sharing RB duties.

Reggie Bush isnt god or the best RB ever in football which he thinks he is. someone with that attitude that money hungry and with recent baggage doesnt warrant leverage at all. let him go to the Saints and be their holdout problem there because he wont accept RB money.

For what it's worth PFT is reporting that Mario Williams to Houston is a done deal.

MARIO TO HOUSTON A "DONE DEAL"

A league source tells us that the Houston Texans have informed Joel Segal, the agent for Reggie Bush, that the team has a "done deal" with defensive end Mario Williams.

More details to come.

Link

:banned:

Bush is likely a part time player.
Says who? I understand that the team has Davis as another option in the backfield, but you have no way of knowing how Bush will be used in the NFL. If the Texans follow the Marshall Faulk model for Bush then he'll get plenty of touches.
You don't give starting stud QB money to a rookie RB who can't hold up to more than 15-16 touches a game.
Bush touched the ball over 18 times a game last year, not including his special teams contributions. He probably would've touched it a lot more if USC didn't have another first round caliber RB in the stable.Assuming that Bush will never be able to handle 20+ touches a game is foolish. He showed no durability problems in college and never suffered a serious injury.

I like Mario Williams quite a bit, but the Texans would be foolish to pass on Bush. He has the potential to single-handedly elevate an offense in the same way that a star receiver like Owens or Moss can open things up. That's not to mention the obvious financial benefits that his high profile would bring the franchise.

If Houston likes Mario Williams enough to where they would be willing to part with Bush, why not just let the time expire?

If you have both guys rated pretty equal, why not let the time run out and get them cheaper?

I think LT is hurting Bush, GM's are afraid they could miss out on the next offensive star.

The only problem with using salary is that the Texans may now have the highest pricest DL in the NFLWeaver just got 12 million signing bonus, r. smith got huge money two year ago, they have dead money from cutting Gary Walker, and Seth Payne is earning decent starters money.

1st overall - williams

26th overall- Babin

Good argument, and plausible.
Honestly, adding a 2nd #1 overall in 5 years which is the also the 4th top 10 in 5 years does nothing really positive for any financial analysis of the Texans or any NFL team. Really it does not matter the position you plug in the money thing looks horrible for the Texans,

Bush is likely a part time player. You don't give starting stud QB money to a rookie RB who can't hold up to more than 15-16 touches a game.
True.....FOR NOW (although how many rookies AREN'T 'part-time players'?). However, I would guess that Kubiak will do whatever he can to work a talent like Bush on to the field, including:- 2 RB sets (with one of them going in motion)

- Bush lining up at WR

- several snaps where he is the single back in the backfield

I actually am very high on Mario Williams as well....but Bush is a once-in-a-decade type of player, and even if you draft him and then he has to share time for a couple of years, you do it. You HAVE to! The cap figure argument seems to be moot, given the amount of money they've already committed to the D-Line AND the fact that Williams has already been reported to have received a contract offer greater than Bush's!

I don't know....I'm always more of a "BPA" kind of guy.....and ANYONE at #1 overall this year not having the Commissioner calling the name "Reggie Bush" leaves me very, VERY :confused:

If Houston likes Mario Williams enough to where they would be willing to part with Bush, why not just let the time expire? If you have both guys rated pretty equal, why not let the time run out and get them cheaper?
The "Mike Tice" Philosophy?! ;)

Says you. Bush at the number they'll have to pay could wreck the franchise for a decade or more. They'll be tied to a large cap number for a part time RB, and they'll still have lots of holes elsewhere that won't get patched because of that. And that doesn't even begin to go into Bush's free rent situation that paints his character quite clearly if true.
I would agree with a lot of this. Get Williams and see what DDavis can do with a good RB scheme. He has been impressive with their POS line.

I thought the exact same thing - and O-line is where they need the most help. Ferguson would probably make the biggest difference between what player they draft & what they currently have at the position. He would also do wonders in allowing Carr to reach his potential (and stay alive as well).
Exactly. The real "crime" here is that they didn't see this coming. If they had, they'd be in very serious negotiations with Bush, Williams, Ferguson, and possibly even Young. I think they're going to get backed into a corner and take Williams, which just doesn't seem like a real great fit (is Kubiak's DC committed to a 3-4? or are they going to run a mix of 4-3 / 3-4?).

I would agree with a lot of this. Get Williams and see what DDavis can do with a good RB scheme. He has been impressive with their POS line.
For all the issues the Texans have protecting the QB the O-line does a decent job rush blocking. Their rushing attack ranks decently well in yards per attempt and has done it with and without DD running the ball.

If Houston likes Mario Williams enough to where they would be willing to part with Bush, why not just let the time expire?

If you have both guys rated pretty equal, why not let the time run out and get them cheaper?
The "Mike Tice" Philosophy?! ;)
I'm surprised more teams don't already do this. :ph34r:

Says who? I understand that the team has Davis as another option in the backfield, but you have no way of knowing how Bush will be used in the NFL. If the Texans follow the Marshall Faulk model for Bush then he'll get plenty of touches.
Says me. HOU ain't the greatest-show-on-turf O, not even close. STL had other teams playing nickle & dime packages for over half the game in most games, and even starting in it. The O-line was very good and the running lanes were gigantic. HOU is no where near being able to protect a player like Bush like that. Bush's height/weight ratio is much poorer than Faulk's also.
You don't give starting stud QB money to a rookie RB who can't hold up to more than 15-16 touches a game.
Bush touched the ball over 18 times a game last year, not including his special teams contributions. He probably would've touched it a lot more if USC didn't have another first round caliber RB in the stable.Assuming that Bush will never be able to handle 20+ touches a game is foolish. He showed no durability problems in college and never suffered a serious injury.

I like Mario Williams quite a bit, but the Texans would be foolish to pass on Bush. He has the potential to single-handedly elevate an offense in the same way that a star receiver like Owens or Moss can open things up. That's not to mention the obvious financial benefits that his high profile would bring the franchise.
Again, Bush did his damage vs PAC-10 Ds - hardly the scourge of college football. Put Bush in the SEC or the Big 10 and there's no way he manages that load (or puts up the numbers he did). He's going to have the gap between his talent & the D players close dramatically in the pros.

For what it's worth PFT is reporting that Mario Williams to Houston is a done deal.

MARIO TO HOUSTON A "DONE DEAL"

A league source tells us that the Houston Texans have informed Joel Segal, the agent for Reggie Bush, that the team has a "done deal" with defensive end Mario Williams.

More details to come.

Link

:banned:
:popcorn:

The real question becomes why didn't or won't the texans trade down. I know they are somewhat backed into a corner now, but for months most of the people on this board and elsewhere have said they would trade the 1 overall if they where Houston. They must have gotten offers. Now here they are less than 24 hour before the draft looking at a DE instead of Bush. A DE they likely could have gotten(or at least Brick, Hawk, or someone) as well as multiple other picks if they had pulled the trigger on a move previously. If they do draft Williams Texan fans should be embarassed and the front office should be let go.

Says me. HOU ain't the greatest-show-on-turf O, not even close. STL had other teams playing nickle & dime packages for over half the game in most games, and even starting in it. The O-line was very good and the running lanes were gigantic. HOU is no where near being able to protect a player like Bush like that. Bush's height/weight ratio is much poorer than Faulk's also.
Sounds like a weak argument. Between Johnson, Moulds, Putzier, and Walter, Houston has plenty of weapons to keep the pressure off a RB.
Again, Bush did his damage vs PAC-10 Ds - hardly the scourge of college football. Put Bush in the SEC or the Big 10 and there's no way he manages that load (or puts up the numbers he did). He's going to have the gap between his talent & the D players close dramatically in the pros.
No one would expect him to average 8.7 YPC in the NFL. That doesn't mean he isn't going to make a huge impact as a professional.You're right that the talent gap will be narrower in the NFL. The same logic applies to Ferguson, Williams, and all of the other top prospects in the draft.

My take on today's events:

- Houston is trying to scare Bush into signing a cheaper offer

- Houston will still draft Bush

The real question becomes why didn't or won't the texans trade down. I know they are somewhat backed into a corner now, but for months most of the people on this board and elsewhere have said they would trade the 1 overall if they where Houston. They must have gotten offers. Now here they are less than 24 hour before the draft looking at a DE instead of Bush. A DE they likely could have gotten(or at least Brick, Hawk, or someone) as well as multiple other picks if they had pulled the trigger on a move previously. If they do draft Williams Texan fans should be embarassed and the front office should be let go.
:yes: :hey:

If the Texans do take Williams and the Saints take D'Brick - I'm sure the Titans are salivating over Reggie Bush...

...but that'll never happen.

My take on today's events:- Houston is trying to scare Bush into signing a cheaper offer- Houston will still draft Bush
What's your take on the report that HOU has already informed Bush's agent that they have an agreement in place for Williams?

:yes: :hey:
I am copying and pasting myself from the other thread. IMO, the texans made a price, while honestly and smartly none of the team at the top of the draft wanted to meet it. I am sure the Texans could have made some bargain basement trade, but at the end of the day they rightly or wrongly think that Bush or williams is worth the number 1 pick overall.
From the purest of football standpoints, this my answer, but I have said since January that from a football standpoint not one of the team in the top 10 should trade up. It is easy for us to scream they should trade down, but when every team in a realistic tradedown range has some combination of poor overall talent, a new coaching regime, or recent cap troubles the chances were always less than normal that one of the teams near the top would gamble on Bush, give up a ton of draft choices and many millions more for the opportunity.

Houston would love to trade down, as this the reason they have shuffled their feet on signing Bush to begin with. (Remember they commited to Carr like in February when he came out) . Maybe they get a last minute call that is offering more the switching position and 4th rounder, but they are stuck with the pick and will draft a freakishly athletic player (Bush or williams) where they already have a ton of money tied up in (DL is more out of whack than DomDavis' money).

Yeah, they were tanking for the right endure this headache.

What's your take on the report that HOU has already informed Bush's agent that they have an agreement in place for Williams?
They are trying to force Bush into signing for lower money. Way to go Houston!

The whole QB vs RB money argument is stunningly ridiculous.

By this logic, if Leinart slips to #10, as the best QB prospect, he should get more money than whoever is drafted at #1. It doesn't work that way folks. The NFL execs know it, the players/agents know it and YOU know it. The highest picked player gets the most money. Anything else thrown out there is posturing.

Leinart is a VERY solid QB prospect (at least as good as Smith coming out of college, probably much better) and the fact the he isn't seriously being considered at #1 indicates very clearly the the people ranked above him are WORTH MORE than the excellent QB prospect. If they weren't, they wouldn't be drafted higher.

damn this is getting exciting! :popcorn:
Yeah it is. We're getting conflicting reports on whom HOU has a deal in place for right now.It looks like it still could go either way until the team actually makes an announcement.

Great start for what looks like it will be a great draft to watch.

Yep. From another thread:

NFL Network's Adam Shefter reports the Texans will draft Reggie Bush with the first overall pick in the NFL Draft.

After a "breakthrough" in negotiations Tuesday night, the two sides are close to a deal. Shefter reports Bush could agree as early as Thursday to a deal paying Bush 10% more than Alex Smith's total deal last season. Apr. 26 - 8:03 pm et
:shrug:
Check the date of that report.Also - Shefter was wrong a lot more than he was right when he was a beat writer in DEN. His info was completely untrustworthy (as was his acumen).

If the Texans do take Mario, I can see Bush falling to the Jets at 4. I believe the Saints will be all over Brick & the Titans will take a QB. Stranger things have happened. :)

My take is that it's just another bargaining chip.Everything I've seen and heard about Bush indicates that he has a strong desire to be the #1 pick and that he's going to do everything he can to sign a contract and get into camp on time. He's always been a high-character guy, so I'm really not buying this 11th hour pessimism.

I think he's clearly the most impactful player available and I think Houston would be foolish to pass on him without receiving some sort of added compensation (i.e. extra draft picks through trade).

I like Mario Williams a lot, but I wouldn't trade Bush for a star DE. Bush is just too valuable as a player and as a commercial commodity. I think a lot of the anti-Reggie sentiment around here stems from a few things:

1. A lot of FF fanboys believe that Domanick Davis is a good NFL starter. I'd argue that he's an adequate NFL starter whose FF value drastically outweighs his NFL value. He's okay, but he's nothing special and he hasn't been able to stay healthy. As far as I'm concerned, his presence is a non-factor.

2. A lot of people fail to understand what Bush brings to the table. He's not a traditional RB like Cadillac Williams or Cedric Benson. He's a WR/RB hybrid who offers very rare abilities in the passing game. His value doesn't stem from his ability to lug the ball 25 times a game, but rather from his big play capabilities, his versatility, and the effect that his presence has on defenses. Like Randy Moss, Bush is a constant asset even when he's not involved in the play because he scares defenses and demands extra attention. He has the rare ability to make everyone around him better. That, coupled with his elite playmaking skills, is why he's so valuable.

Maybe Houston will pass on Bush. Stranger things have certainly happened, but right now I'm taking an "I'll believe it when I see it stance."

A lot of people fail to understand what Bush brings to the table. He's not a traditional RB like Cadillac Williams or Cedric Benson. He's a WR/RB hybrid who offers very rare abilities in the passing game. His value doesn't stem from his ability to lug the ball 25 times a game, but rather from his big play capabilities, his versatility, and the effect that his presence has on defenses. Like Randy Moss, Bush is a constant asset even when he's not involved in the play because he scares defenses and demands extra attention. He has the rare ability to make everyone around him better. That, coupled with his elite playmaking skills, is why he's so valuable.
Do you think he'll be elected to the NFL Hall of Fame before he's picked in the draft?

A lot of people fail to understand what Bush brings to the table. He's not a traditional RB like Cadillac Williams or Cedric Benson. He's a WR/RB hybrid who offers very rare abilities in the passing game. His value doesn't stem from his ability to lug the ball 25 times a game, but rather from his big play capabilities, his versatility, and the effect that his presence has on defenses. Like Randy Moss, Bush is a constant asset even when he's not involved in the play because he scares defenses and demands extra attention. He has the rare ability to make everyone around him better. That, coupled with his elite playmaking skills, is why he's so valuable.
Do you think he'll be elected to the NFL Hall of Fame before he's picked in the draft?
Nope, but I think he'll be a star in the NFL. I don't see him busting unless he gets hurt (although he could initially be disappointing if he goes to a scrub squad like San Francisco).

Users who are viewing this thread