What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Thanksgiving trivia (1 Viewer)

bostonfred

Footballguy
I'm excited for Thanksgiving.  I love to spend a day off with family. I love not having to work for three more days.  I love turkey and butternut squash. I love that my in laws will watch football this once every year. But I'm realistic. And that means I know I might need to change the subject when someone brings up politics. So let's talk trivia.  

1. Five teams in the NFL have scored 300 or more points.  In the AFC it's pretty obvious - the ravens, chiefs and Patriots. Who are the two NFC teams? 

2. 8 teams in the NFL have 8 or more wins.  Name them. 

3. There are 5 nationally televised games this week. Only one of these games is at 1pm on Sunday, with 7 other games at the same time.  Is it 

Lions bears

Dallas buffalo

Saints Falcons

49ers ravens

Patriots Texans 

Vikings Seahawks

4. Probably unrelated, but which commissioner still has a job despite horrifically damaging the game as we know it? 

5. Josh Jacobs currently leads all rookies with over 900 rushing yards. Name the rest of the top 5. 

6. Name the current leaders in pass attempts, pass completions, passing touchdowns and yards per pass attempt.  (Note - one of these stats has a tie. Two of these are held by the same player.)

7. there are 4 teams that have allowed fewer than 200 points.  The Patriots and 49ers are the top two.  The bears are fourth.  Who's number 3?

8. Which quarterback holds the single season record for game winning drives in a season?  (From Pro Football Reference - 4th quarter or overtime drives where the Game-winning drives led by quarterback.  Must be an offensive scoring drive in the 4th quarter or overtime that puts the winning team ahead for the last time.)

9. The all time leading passers for the colts, 49ers and Patriots are pretty obvious.  Manning, Montana.and Brady.  Now name the all time leading passer for the bears, raiders, bucs and Texans. 

10. The top 5 in the NFL in receiving yards are Michael Thomas, Chris Godwin, Mike Evans, Julio Jones and who? 

11 bonus question... only 12 quarterbacks in NFL history have 300 career passing touchdowns.  Name as many as you can. Bonus if you know the top 3 and how close they are to a new record.  

In what decade did both the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade and America’s Thanksgiving Parade start?

The 1920’s (specifically 1924)

America’s Thanksgiving Parade was inspired by Eaton’s Santa Claus Parade in Toronto, Ontario and the papier-mache heads that he saw on a trip to Europe. Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade was started by Louis Bamberger in Newark, New Jersey but was transferred to New York City where it is now held by Macy’s.

What is the wobbly red piece of flesh on top of the beak of a turkey?

A snood

The red bit of flesh under the beak is called a wattle.

Last edited by a moderator:
What state raises the most turkeys?

Minnesota

With 41 million turkeys raised in 2015 Minnesota tops the chart for turkey production. Next up is North Carolina with 31 million turkeys raised. Then Arkansas coming in third with 27.5 million turkeys.

Not sure why zed bombed this thread with random jokes and Macy's parade trivia but ok.  

I thought there were some interesting points in here.  

I'm excited for Thanksgiving.  I love to spend a day off with family. I love not having to work for three more days.  I love turkey and butternut squash. I love that my in laws will watch football this once every year. But I'm realistic. And that means I know I might need to change the subject when someone brings up politics. So let's talk trivia.  

1. Five teams in the NFL have scored 300 or more points.  In the AFC it's pretty obvious - the ravens, chiefs and Patriots. Who are the two NFC teams? 

I'm pretty sure Detroit is one of the NFC teams

3. There are 5 nationally televised games this week. Only one of these games is at 1pm on Sunday, with 7 other games at the same time.  Is it 

Lions bears - 

Dallas buffalo

Saints Falcons

49ers ravens

Patriots Texans 

Vikings Seahawks

4. Probably unrelated, but which commissioner still has a job despite horrifically damaging the game as we know it? 

5. Josh Jacobs currently leads all rookies with over 900 rushing yards. Name the rest of the top 5. 
Devin Singletary, David Montgomery, 

6. Name the current leaders in pass attempts, pass completions, passing touchdowns and yards per pass attempt.  (Note - one of these stats has a tie. Two of these are held by the same player.)

7. there are 4 teams that have allowed fewer than 200 points.  The Patriots and 49ers are the top two.  The bears are fourth.  Who's number 3?

8. Which quarterback holds the single season record for game winning drives in a season?  (From Pro Football Reference - 4th quarter or overtime drives where the Game-winning drives led by quarterback.  Must be an offensive scoring drive in the 4th quarter or overtime that puts the winning team ahead for the last time.)

Thinking this was Stafford (8 in 2016?)

9. The all time leading passers for the colts, 49ers and Patriots are pretty obvious.  Manning, Montana.and Brady.  Now name the all time leading passer for the bears, raiders, bucs and Texans. 

10. The top 5 in the NFL in receiving yards are Michael Thomas, Chris Godwin, Mike Evans, Julio Jones and who? 

Kenny Golladay?

11 bonus question... only 12 quarterbacks in NFL history have 300 career passing touchdowns.  Name as many as you can. Bonus if you know the top 3 and how close they are to a new record.  

The 49ers and Tampa. I was especially surprised to see that the 49ers are the second highest scoring offense in the NFL, but i forgot about all the rushing touchdowns from Jeff Wilson and mostert.  

Patriots ravens packers vikings Seahawks saints 49ers... and the bills.  3 of these teams are looking at wildcard spots.  The Chiefs are 7-4, Dallas leads their division at 6-5, the afc south isn't much better... but the nfc north and west are going to be tough.  

Lions bears

Dallas buffalo

Saints Falcons

49ers ravens

Patriots Texans 

Vikings Seahawks

Yeah it's the 49ers ravens. There's 8 games at 1pm Sunday which means 14 areas could miss a game that's arguably the best of the year. Two top teams, performing better than anyone expected, the highest scoring offense vs the second highest offense and second best defense.  

This isn't really a question but it's a fun conversation starter.  He's murdering a golden goose

2 Montgomery, 3 Singletary, 4 Sanders... the mild surprise is 5 Kyler Murray 

Tom Brady leads in both attempts and completions, which shouldn't be that big a surprise but his demise has been exaggerated.  He's throwing shorter passes but still getting it done. More surprising is that Lamar Jackson and Russell Wilson are tied for the passing touchdown lead - both teams that were expected to be run based and didn't have great receivers, both having MVP caliber seasons. The real surprise though is that Ryan Tannehill leads the league in yards per attempt.  

Buffalo.  Maybe their 8 wins aren't a mirage.  

I'm sure you're expecting this to be a Tom Brady fanboy question.  It's not.  It's actually Matt Stafford who had 8 in 2016. 

Bears - Cutler. Ok i can see that i guess, but he didn't even spend his whole career there. 

Oakland - Carr. Wait, what?  

Tampa - Jameis, which answers the question "how bad was dilfer"

Texans - Schaub, who answered the question "how bad is Schaub". 

DJ Moore. Crazy when you consider the quarterback situation and the team being completely built around McCaffrey, but he's balling out. 

Top 3 are Manning at 539, Brady at 532 and Brees at 531. With 5 games to play it looks like this record will drop this year, will be interesting to see if Brady or Brees retire once they reach ít. 

Then it's Favre at 508 and Marino at 420. Think about that dropoff for a minute. And after Marino it's Philip rivers in 6th with 389. I think that gives you an idea not only how pass happy this era is, but also how much Brady Brees and manning still lapped their other contemporaries.

The others are Roethlisberger, Eli, Rodgers, Tarkenton, Matt Ryan and Elway, who retired with exactly 300. 

People always assume the NFL is clueless about things in general, but the decades long scheduling of the Lions as the lead in for Turkey Day is beyond spot on.

Tonight is the traditional network showing of the Charlie Brown Thanksgiving.  Watch and keep notes of the various irregularities that would not pass the current approved code.

Users who are viewing this thread