What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The 100 Greatest Songs of 1977 #1. Come Sail Away (1 Viewer)

timschochet

Footballguy
Howdy everyone, good to be back. The list starts tomorrow.
I am saddened by the death of Christine McVie, who will be featured prominently on this list.

100. “I Just Want to Be Your Everything” Andy Gibb
99. “Baby Hold On” Eddie Money
98. “Wonderful Tonight” Eric Clapton
97. “Jamming” Bob Marley
96. “Two Out of Three Ain’t Bad” Meat Loaf
95. “Let There Be Rock” AC/DC
94. “Juke Box Music” The Kinks
93. “Fooling Yourself (The Angry Young Man)” Styx
92. “It’s Late” Queen
91. “Kick It Out” Heart
90. “Just a Song Before I Go” Crosby, Stills, & Nash
89. “Swingtown” The Steve Miller Band
88. “California Sun” Ramones
87. “Two Tickets to Paradise” Eddie Money
86. “Marquee Moon” Television
85. “If I Can’t Have You” Yvonne Elliman
84. “That Smell” Lynyrd Skynyrd
83. “It’s A Heartache” Bonnie Tyler
82. “Mr. Blue Sky” Electric Light Orchestra
81. “Cocaine” Eric Clapton
80. “Janie Jones” The Clash
79. “Portrait (He Knew)” Kansas
78. “Like a Hurricane” Neil Young
77. “Gold Dust Woman” Fleetwood Mac
76. “Cat Scratch Fever” Ted Nugent
75. “Short People” Randy Newman
74. “Rockaway Beach” Ramones
73. “Grand Illusion” Styx
72. “One Love/People Get Ready” Bob Marley
71. “What’s Your Name” Lynyrd Skynyrd
70. “Movin’ Out (Anthony’s Song)” Billy Joel
69. “Cold As Ice” Foreigner
68. “Watching the Detectives” Elvis Costello
67. “Holidays In the Sun” The Sex Pistols
66. “Whole Lotta Rosie” AC/DC
65. “Bat Out Of Hell” Meat Loaf
64. “Career Opportunities” The Clash
63. “It’s So Easy” Linda Ronstadt
62. “Lay Down Sally” Eric Clapton
61. “I Was Only Joking” Rod Stewart
60. “Jungle Love” The Steve Miller Band
59. “Feels Like the First Time” Foreigner
58. “Baby What a Big Surprise” Chicago
57. “Josie” Steely Dan
56. “Trans Europe Express” Kraftwerk
55. “Spread Your Wings” Queen
54. “Turn to Stone” Electric Light Orchestra
53. “Margaritaville” Jimmy Buffett
52. “Pretty Vacant” The Sex Pistols
51. “The Stranger” Billy Joel
50. “You Make Loving Fun” Fleetwood Mac
49. “Less Than Zero” Elvis Costello
48. “Brick House” Commodores
47. “Emotion” Samantha Sang
46. “White Riot” The Clash
45. “The Load Out/Stay” Jackson Browne
44. “The Angels Wanna Wear My Red Shoes” Elvis Costello
43. “Don’t It Make My Brown Eyes Blue” Crystal Gayle
42. “Only the Good Die Young” Billy Joel
41. “Sweet Talkin’ Woman” Electric Light Orchestra
40. “Heard It In a Love Song” The Marshall Tucker Band
39. “Point of Know Return” Kansas
38. “Nobody Does It Better” Carly Simon
37. “Paradise By the Dashboard Light” Meat Loaf (with Ellen Foley)
36. “Deacon Blues” Steely Dan
35. “Jet Airliner” The Steve Miller Band
34. “God Save the Queen” The Sex Pistols
33. “Scenes From An Italian Restaurant” Billy Joel
32. “Sex & Drugs & Rock & Roll” Ian Dury
31. “More Than A Woman” The Bee Gees
30. “Sheena Is A Punk Rocker” The Ramones
29. “I Feel Love” Donna Summer
28. “Here You Come Again” Dolly Parton
27. “Slip Slidin’ Away” Paul Simon
26. “You’re In My Heart (The Final Acclaim)” Rod Stewart
25. “Vienna” Billy Joel
24. “Peg” Steely Dan
23. “Lust For Life” Iggy Pop
22. “The Chain” Fleetwood Mac
21. “Take a Chance On Me” ABBA
20. “Night Fever” The Bee Gees
19. “Alison” Elvis Costello
18. “Give A Little Bit” Supertramp
17. “Just The Way You Are” Billy Joel
16. “Barracuda” Heart
15. “How Deep Is Your Love” The Bee Gees
14. “Dust In The Wind” Kansas
13. “Don’t Stop” Fleetwood Mac
12. “Solsbury Hill” Peter Gabriel
11. “She’s Always A Woman” Billy Joel
10. “Easy” Commodores
9. “Running On Empty” Jackson Browne
8. “Dreams” Fleetwood Mac
7. “Stayin’ Alive” The Bee Gees
6. “Heroes” David Bowie
5. “Psycho Killer” Talking Heads
4. “We Are the Champions” Queen
3. “We Will Rock You” Queen
2. “Best Of My Love” The Emotions
1. “Come Sail Away” Styx

Last edited:
Before the songs start dropping here’s some perspective of the times:

A lot more here

Cost of Living 1977 - How Much things cost​

How Much things cost in 1977

Yearly Inflation Rate USA6.5%

Year End Close Dow Jones Industrial Average 831

Interest Rates Year End Federal Reserve 7.75%

Average Cost of new house $49,300.00

Average Income per year $15,000.00

Average Monthly Rent $240.00

Cost of a gallon of Gas 65 cents

A few More Examples

Bikini$9.00

Renault Gordini $6998,00

BMW 320i $7990.00

Barbie Road Trip with Motor Home, Dune Buggy and a Bicycle $72.95

Wrist Worn AM Radio $7.95

5 inch Portable TV $147.00

New Stereo System $247.95

Middletown, New York
Ranch 3 bedrooms , 2 baths , living room family area and double garage $33,000

Before the songs start dropping here’s some perspective of the times:

A lot more here

Cost of Living 1977 - How Much things cost​

How Much things cost in 1977

Yearly Inflation Rate USA6.5%

Year End Close Dow Jones Industrial Average 831

Interest Rates Year End Federal Reserve 7.75%

Average Cost of new house $49,300.00

Average Income per year $15,000.00

Average Monthly Rent $240.00

Cost of a gallon of Gas 65 cents

A few More Examples

Bikini$9.00

Renault Gordini $6998,00

BMW 320i $7990.00

Barbie Road Trip with Motor Home, Dune Buggy and a Bicycle $72.95

Wrist Worn AM Radio $7.95

5 inch Portable TV $147.00

New Stereo System $247.95

Middletown, New York
Ranch 3 bedrooms , 2 baths , living room family area and double garage $33,000
Yeah, according to my pocket inflation calculator, a typical dollar item then costs about 5 bucks now.

100. Andy Gibb “I Just Want to Be Your Everything” (from Flowing Rivers)

So the list kicks off with one of the classic teen idol songs of all time: Andy, along with Shaun Cassidy and Leif Garrett, was featured in Tiger Beat and his poster was hung in the bedrooms of millions of 12 year old girls. But this tune is a higher quality than those of Shaun and Leif, because it was written by Andy’s older brother Barry, whose songs dominated the year of 1977 like no other songwriter has ever done, before or since, in the entire history of popular music. Much more on that later.

99. Eddie Money “Baby Hold On” (from Eddie Money)

Back in the day a friend of mine used to joke that Eddie Money looked like Fred Flintstone. That always made me laugh and it’s stuck with me. So has this song. Very recognizable, pleasant middle of the road rock. Inoffensive.

98. Eric Clapton “Wonderful Tonight” (from Slowhand)

Definitely one of his prettiest ballads. Great guitar work too (as usual.) Slowhand is a pretty classic album and we hear more from it.

So the list kicks off with one of the classic teen idol songs of all time: Andy, along with Shaun Cassidy and Leif Garrett, was featured in Tiger Beat and his poster was hung in the bedrooms of millions of 12 year old girls. But this tune is a higher quality than those of Shaun and Leif, because it was written by Andy’s older brother Barry, whose songs dominated the year of 1977 like no other songwriter has ever done, before or since, in the entire history of popular music. Much more on that later.

Nine-year-old girls, too. :wub:

I like this song. Andy had a nice career going, moving a few years later to hosting Solid Gold with Dionne Warwick. IIRC, he had a bad relationship with Victoria Principal that really spiraled him downwards to his early passing.

Back in the day a friend of mine used to joke that Eddie Money looked like Fred Flintstone. That always made me laugh and it’s stuck with me. So has this song. Very recognizable, pleasant middle of the road rock. Inoffensive.
Best sidemouth-singing ex-cop in music history.

Andy had a nice career going, moving a few years later to hosting Solid Gold with Dionne Warwick.
Andy and Dionne both hosted Solid Gold, but never together. Andy was partnered with Marilyn McCoo when he was there.

I like this song. Andy had a nice career going, moving a few years later to hosting Solid Gold with Dionne Warwick. IIRC, he had a bad relationship with Victoria Principal that really spiraled him downwards to his early passing.
It spiraled because he got hooked on cocaine. Damn shame, as he was very good.

Andy had a nice career going, moving a few years later to hosting Solid Gold with Dionne Warwick.
Andy and Dionne both hosted Solid Gold, but never together. Andy was partnered with Marilyn McCoo when he was there.
Right - Andy was with Marilyn and he was replaced by Rex Smith. Dionne did it solo IIRC.

Right - Andy was with Marilyn and he was replaced by Rex Smith. Dionne did it solo IIRC.
Correct. And after Rex Smith there was Rick Dees of "Disco Duck" fame.

Correct. And after Rex Smith there was Rick Dees of "Disco Duck" fame.
Fame isn’t exactly the word I would use in relation to that song. But Rick was a well known local DJ for years.

This was the year I turned 15 and was REALLY into a lot of music. But I had some serious blind spots: mainly punk and New Wave, because I didn't listen to radio stations that played those (unless they became huge Top 40 hits and very few did in 1977).

#100 is a great record. Barry Gibb was on a serious heater during this time, as tim mentioned.

#99 is fine. It's records (& artists) like this that keep pop music rolling. Eddie had a really good career and, every time you thought he was done, would pop right back up out of nowhere with another hit.

#98 I chose in the "worst songs of all time" draft. I stand by my choice. Ironically, if Clapton had sung/played/arranged this as a blues it would work much better.

97. Bob Marley & The Wailers “Jamming” (from Exodus)

Like most American teenagers, I’m pretty sure I had no idea who Bob Marley was in 1977, and couldn’t tell you what reggae entailed, never heard the word “Rastafarian”. It wouldn’t be until around 10 years later that these words entered my consciousness. It was the compilation album Legend that first exposed “Jamming” to most people who are aware of it today.

Like most American teenagers, I’m pretty sure I had no idea who Bob Marley was in 1977, and couldn’t tell you what reggae entailed, never heard the word “Rastafarian”. It wouldn’t be until around 10 years later that these words entered my consciousness. It was the compilation album Legend that first exposed “Jamming” to most people who are aware of it today.
I knew who he was, but it wasn't in the usual way because he got no airplay on the radio stations I was listening to. My aunt spent a year in London at cooking school and she'd come home on the holidays with records that she discovered across the pond. I remember a Thanksgiving with her playing the Sex Pistols (I hated it and promptly forgot them - today they sound like classic rock) and a Marley record (don't recall which). Whatever the Marley song(s) was, I recall feeling disoriented listening to it - I couldn't understand what he was singing and the rhythm was all wrong to my tender ears.

Odd thing is, many folks were listening to Marley in the 1970s - he could sell out stadium concerts like any other rock star. I just don't know where those people were hearing him - college radio, maybe?

I knew who he was, but it wasn't in the usual way because he got no airplay on the radio stations I was listening to. My aunt spent a year in London at cooking school and she'd come home on the holidays with records that she discovered across the pond. I remember a Thanksgiving with her playing the Sex Pistols (I hated it and promptly forgot them - today they sound like classic rock) and a Marley record (don't recall which). Whatever the Marley song(s) was, I recall feeling disoriented listening to it - I couldn't understand what he was singing and the rhythm was all wrong to my tender ears.

Odd thing is, many folks were listening to Marley in the 1970s - he could sell out stadium concerts like any other rock star. I just don't know where those people were hearing him - college radio, maybe?
Maybe it was a word-of-mouth thing like the Grateful Dead were at that point. (I have no idea, I was 6 in 1977.)

Radio only plays the good disco hits anymore, but there really was a reason why "Disco Sucks!" was a thing.
There were several reasons, in my opinion. "Disco Duck" is a stupid record, but it's not disco in any meaningful sense. It's just a rewrite of other stupid records like "Purple People Eaters" or "Witch Doctor".
I like disco a lot more now than back then, when our Kiss Army superiors wouldn't allow for it.

Radio only plays the good disco hits anymore, but there really was a reason why "Disco Sucks!" was a thing.
There were several reasons, in my opinion. "Disco Duck" is a stupid record, but it's not disco in any meaningful sense. It's just a rewrite of other stupid records like "Purple People Eaters" or "Witch Doctor".
I like disco a lot more now than back then, when our Kiss Army superiors wouldn't allow for it.
What did your KISS Army superiors think when the band released I Was Made for Loving You?

I like the synth that sounds like a bass line on this one.

I read on Wiki that half the royalties from this song go to the estate of the dudes who wrote "Que Sera, Sera (Whatever Will Be, Will Be)" because Eddie took and slightly modified that one line without asking. That seems excessive.

What did your KISS Army superiors think when the band released I Was Made for Loving You?
We were all honorably discharged IIRC.

That was a tough day for a lot of my older cousins and their friends.

96. Meat Loaf “Two Out of Three Ain’t Bad” (from Bat Out of Hell)

I’d better not let my wife know I’ve selected this song because she absolutely hates it, says it’s emblematic of 70s chauvinism. I’ve tried to explain that he’s singing about what some chick said to him, but she doesn’t buy it. Personally I think this is a hilarious tune with a great melody from one of the best rock albums of the year. But I keep that to myself.

96. Meat Loaf “Two Out of Three Ain’t Bad” (from Bat Out of Hell)

I’d better not let my wife know I’ve selected this song because she absolutely hates it, says it’s emblematic of 70s chauvinism. I’ve tried to explain that he’s singing about what some chick said to him, but she doesn’t buy it. Personally I think this is a hilarious tune with a great melody from one of the best rock albums of the year. But I keep that to myself.
Over the top Jim Steinman ballad with a big melody - sign me up.

95. AC/DC “Let There Be Rock” (from Let There Be Rock)

So this was the era when Angus Young was seemingly effortlessly creating one all time classic guitar riff after another. And Bon Scott was redefining hard rock vocals. The best description of this album came from my older brother’s best friend, who told me, sometime around 1980 I think, “Hey listen to this record. It kicks ***.”
I just listened to it now. Still does.

94. The Kinks “Juke Box Music” (from Sleepwalker)

Ray Davies is certainly one of the greatest songwriters in rock history. This tune is emblematic of his best work: combining irony, humor and pathos in the lyrics set to an infectious melody and Dave’s great lead guitar licks. Dave also shares lead vocals, which is fairly uncommon for them.

94. The Kinks “Juke Box Music” (from Sleepwalker)

Ray Davies is certainly one of the greatest songwriters in rock history. This tune is emblematic of his best work: combining irony, humor and pathos in the lyrics set to an infectious melody and Dave’s great lead guitar licks. Dave also shares lead vocals, which is fairly uncommon for them.
I really like Dave’s voice - IMO one of the more unheralded aspects of the band.

93. Styx “Fooling Yourself (The Angry Young Man)” (from The Grand Illusion)

This was Tommy Shaw’s most significant contribution to the band’s breakout album and it’s great. With a bombastic intro (so typical of the American prog rock bands of the era) leading into some excellent guitar work. The Grand Illusion album is mostly Dennis De Young (and it’s his defining moment as an artist) but Shaw played a big role.

Users who are viewing this thread