What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The 100 Greatest Songs of 1982 #1. Little Red Corvette (2 Viewers)

timschochet

Footballguy
100. “Everywhere That I’m Not” Translator
99. “Maneater” Daryl Hall & John Oates
98. “Walking In L.A.” Missing Persons
97. “Red Skies” The Fixx
96. “Up Where We Belong” Joe Cocker & Jennifer Warnes
95. “Goodbye To You” Scandal
94. “Our House” Madness
93. “I’ll Tumble 4 Ya” Culture Club
92. “Valerie” Steve Winwood
91. “Private Life” Oingo Boingo
90. “Ziggy Stardust” Bauhaus
89. “Mexican Radio” Wall of Voodoo
88. “Pressure” Billy Joel
87. “Straight to Hell” The Clash
86.”Hand To Hold On To” John Cougar
85. “Hold Me” Fleetwood Mac
84. “Planet Rock” Afrika Bambaastaa & Soulsonic Force
83. “Sex (I’m A…)” Berlin
82. “Empty Garden (Hey Hey Johnny)” Elton John
81. “Eye In The Sky” The Alan Parsons Project
80. “Destination Unknown” Missing Persons
79. “Hot In The City” Billy Idol
78. “Six Months In A Leaky Boat” Split Enz
77. “Allentown” Billy Joel
76. “Save A Prayer” Duran Duran
75. “Run To The Hills” Iron Maiden
74. “Somebody’s Baby” Jackson Browne
73. “Vacation” The Go-Go’s
72. “Bad To The Bone” George Thorogood & The Destroyers
71. “She Blinded Me With Science” Thomas Dolby
70. “I Confess” The English Beat
69. “Wall of Death” Richard & Linda Thompson
68. “The One Thing” INXS
67. “Wanna Be Startin’ Somethin’” Michael Jackson
66. “Only Time Will Tell” Asia
65. “Never Say Never” Romeo Void
64. “Wasted On The Way” Crosby, Stills & Nash
63. “I Want Candy” Bow Wow Wow
62. “Let’s Go To Bed” The Cure
61. “Words” Missing Persons
60. “Rio” Duran Duran
59. “Space Age Love Song” A Flock Of Seagulls
58. “Pass The Dutchie” Musical Youth
57. “Atomic Dog” George Clinton
56. “Hurts So Good” John Cougar
55. “Love My Way” The Psychedelic Furs
54. “Masquerade” Berlin
53. “The Number Of The Beast” Iron Maiden
52. “You Got Lucky” Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers
51. “Pale Shelter” Tears For Fears
50. “The Safety Dance” Men Without Hats
49. “Only The Lonely” The Motels
48. “I Ran” A Flock Of Seagulls
47. “Someday, Someway” Marshall Crenshaw
46. “Der Kommissar” After The Fire
45. “White Wedding” Billy Idol
44. “Town Called Malice” The Jam
43. “Goodnight Saigon” Billy Joel
42. “Situation” Yaz
41. “Back On The Chain Gang” The Pretenders
40. “Reap The Wild Wind” Ultravox
39. “Don’t Change” INXS
38. “Hallowed Be Thy Name” Iron Maiden
37. “Subdivisions” Rush
36. “Caught Up In You” .38 Special
35. “Black Coffee In Bed” Squeeze
34. “Love Plus One” Haircut 100
33. “Rosanna” Toto
32. “Heat Of The Moment” Asia
31. “Come Dancing” The Kinks
30. “Delirious” Prince
29. “Gloria” Laura Branigan
28. “Thriller” Michael Jackson
27. “Gypsy” Fleetwood Mac
26. “The Metro” Berlin
25. “Eye Of The Tiger” Survivor
24. “Senses Working Overtime” XTC
23. “Rock The Casbah” The Clash
22. “The Look Of Love” ABC
21. “I’m So Excited” The Pointer Sisters
20. “Southern Cross” Crosby, Stills & Nash
19. “Shock The Monkey” Peter Gabriel
18. “The Message” Grandmaster Flash & The Furious Five
17. “Beat It” Michael Jackson
16. “Hungry Like The Wolf” Duran Duran
15. “Come On Eileen” Dexys Midnight Runners
14. “Sexual Healing” Marvin Gaye
13. “Always On My Mind” Willie Nelson
12. “Human Nature” Michael Jackson
11. “1999” Prince
10. “Do You Really Want To Hurt Me” Culture Club
9. “Atlantic City” Bruce Springsteen
8. “Jack And Diane” John Cougar
7. “Should I Stay Or Should I Go” The Clash
6. “Save It For Later” The English Beat
5. “Mad World” Tears For Fears
4. “I Melt With You” Modern English
3. “Africa” Toto
2. “Billie Jean” Michael Jackson
1. “Little Red Corvette” Prince

Last edited:
Tough list. I’ll start tomorrow.

I suspect some controversy here, some people may take issue with my rankings and exclusions. (they always do but it might be stronger this time.)
Id be worried if everyone said great list, no complaints.
Im only debating whether to follow up your 1978 rankings from awhile ago, so 1982 seems years away.
I am always going to be far more UK chart centric than you so will try and hold my tongue.

Good luck

100. Translator “Everywhere That I’m Not” (from Heartbeats And Triggers)

This list will include some songs which might be termed “MTV hits”: songs that didn’t chart on Billboard’s top 100 (or at least not very high) but were a part of MTV’s rotation in the early years.

“Everywhere That I’m Not” is a good example of this: it was a very minor hit (though I do recall hearing it at the time on KROQ, the local alternative station) but it was often seen on early MTV. It has a jazzy groove and a memorable chorus, and it’s stayed with me all these years.

This list will include some songs which might be termed “MTV hits”: songs that didn’t chart on Billboard’s top 100 (or at least not very high) but were a part of MTV’s rotation in the early years.

“Everywhere That I’m Not” is a good example of this: it was a very minor hit (though I do recall hearing it at the time on KROQ, the local alternative station) but it was often seen on early MTV. It has a jazzy groove and a memorable chorus, and it’s stayed with me all these years.
I don't remember this song - but liked it. Surely represents the time well.

I don't either, which is strange because this is right in my wheelhouse of early '80s MTV/New Wave. Certainly has the cheesy early MTV video look. And love the shout out to Nova Scotia.

Also kind of has a Brinsley Schwarz/Nick Lowe vibe to it.

I don't either, which is strange because this is right in my wheelhouse of early '80s MTV/New Wave. Certainly has the cheesy early MTV video look. And love the shout out to Nova Scotia.

Also kind of has a Brinsley Schwarz/Nick Lowe vibe to it.
I knew I had zero hope of knowing this if you two didn't. After listening to it, I was right. It's pretty good, though.

I watched a crapload of MTV and I don't remember this.

Tim are you gaslighting us?

99. Daryl Hall & John Oates “Maneater” (from H20)

I’m a huge fan of late 70s, early 80s Hall and Oates: “She’s Gone”, “Rich Girl”, “You Make My Dreams Come True”, even “Kiss On My List”- all classics IMO. But at this point, when they have their biggest hits, they got too commercial for me.
I was a senior in high school in 82/83. This song was EVERYWHERE for several months. It was just meh for me and I soon got sick of hearing it. I just listened to it for the first time in maybe 30 years and I haven’t changed; Im still sick of it. Still belongs on the list, though.

I’m a huge fan of late 70s, early 80s Hall and Oates: “She’s Gone”, “Rich Girl”, “You Make My Dreams Come True”, even “Kiss On My List”- all classics IMO. But at this point, when they have their biggest hits, they got too commercial for me.
I was a senior in high school in 82/83. This song was EVERYWHERE for several months. It was just meh for me and I soon got sick of hearing it. I just listened to it for the first time in maybe 30 years and I haven’t changed; Im still sick of it. Still belongs on the list, though.
Like Hall & Oates but this song blows.

That seems low for one of their 2 best songs (She's Gone is the other). Great tune.

Like Hall & Oates but this song blows.
I think they have better tunes, but I like it - especially the sax solo by Charlie DeChant.

total banger....got worn out on the radio and yes cheesy AF, but a banger nonetheless.

I remember this song very well, but somehow didn't have it in my playlist. Good catch!

This isn't the best song on H2O (One On One is) but I went with Maneater on my 1982 playlist (I limit my annual playlists to one selection per artist for arbitrary and capricious reasons) for the cheese,

Has anyone posted yet how they like H&O before they had any hits and hated them afterwards? It's how you get cred here.

"Maneater" is a fine slice of what they were doing and one of the better records of 1982.
Big fan of early ‘80s H&O. Just thought they starting running out of gas in ‘84 with Big Bam Boom.

Has anyone posted yet how they like H&O before they had any hits and hated them afterwards? It's how you get cred here.

"Maneater" is a fine slice of what they were doing and one of the better records of 1982.
Big fan of early ‘80s H&O. Just thought they starting running out of gas in ‘84 with Big Bam Boom.
I hear you, zam. All artists run out of gas at some point, right? H&O had a hell of a run, though.

I think I’ve told this story in other music threads, but I can still recall the moment I realized I was middle-aged. It was at a stoplight on a summer day when i had the windows down and became aware I was tapping the door to the beat of some song…THIS SONG. There was the life I knew before that day, and the life I’ve known since. Never the twain shall meet…

98. Missing Persons “Walking In L.A.” (from Spring Sessions M)

Dale Bozzio wasn’t the greatest singer in the world but she could squeal like nobody’s business. She and her husband churned out an album in 1982 with some very memorable New Wave hits on it. This one in particular had lasting value because it’s still generally true: nobody walks in LA.

Last edited:

This is where they started to get too slick. However, this is a great tune that sounded like nothing else at the time. T-Bone Wolk’s basslines alone make this top notch.

Terry Bozzio wasn’t the greatest singer in the world but she could squeal like nobody’s business. She and her husband churned out an album in 1982 with some very memorable New Wave hits on it. This one in particular had lasting value because it’s still generally true: nobody walks in LA.

a new wave staple...I'd probably have it higher on my list despite its shortcomings.

Terry Bozzio wasn’t the greatest singer in the world but she could squeal like nobody’s business. She and her husband churned out an album in 1982 with some very memorable New Wave hits on it. This one in particular had lasting value because it’s still generally true: nobody walks in LA.
Singer = Dale. Drummer = Terry. Google and Wikipedia are your friends.

Terry Bozzio played some pretty wild stuff in the ‘70s, including with Frank Zappa, so it’s always fascinated me that in the 80s he turned to a genre that required little technical skill.

I know this song, but thought it was the Go-Gos :bag:

Dale Bozzio dressed like a futuristic aerobics instructor and sang like she had just inhaled helium. Seems pretty hard to mistake that for Belinda Carlisle.

Singer = Dale. Drummer = Terry. Google and Wikipedia are your friends.

Terry Bozzio played some pretty wild stuff in the ‘70s, including with Frank Zappa, so it’s always fascinated me that in the 80s he turned to a genre that required little technical skill.
Damn it. I had that right the first time. Don’t know why I screwed it up; thanks.

Dale Bozzio dressed like a futuristic aerobics instructor and sang like she had just inhaled helium. Seems pretty hard to mistake that for Belinda Carlisle.
Pip, my logic isn't logical.

Your penance is 10 Billy Joels and 8 Jackson Brownes.

Seems pretty harsh

Seems pretty harsh
You’d prefer tender?

There was nary a teenage boy that wasn’t enthralled by her see-through magic top.

Guitarist Warren Cuccurullo also played with Zappa alongside Bozzio - then later replaced Andy Taylor in Duran Duran.

Seems pretty harsh
But deserved

Walked the streets in LA just last night

Seems pretty harsh
But deserved

Walked the streets in LA just last night
My attorneys will go for 7 Billy Joels and a donation to whatever cause Browne isn't too stoned to be backing these days.

97. The Fixx “Red Skies” (from Shuttered Room)

More New Wave goodness. “Red Skies Tonight”, which I always thought was the title of this song, was another of those tunes that was on the radio all the time in ‘82. Never exactly loved it but I didn’t turn it off, either. It’s OK.
Great tune - pretty unique at the time. They did a remake a handful of years later that was more synth heavy but the original was rawer.

More New Wave goodness. “Red Skies Tonight”, which I always thought was the title of this song, was another of those tunes that was on the radio all the time in ‘82. Never exactly loved it but I didn’t turn it off, either. It’s OK.
Great tune - pretty unique at the time. They did a remake a handful of years later that was more synth heavy but the original was rawer.
The bass, especially toward the end, is fire.

Actually the linked version above is the remake. Here’s the original

I have much more love for the other hit from Shuttered Room (which would be high on my list of favorites from '82), but Red Skies is a good tune.

96. Joe Cocker & Jennifer Warnes “Up Where We Belong” (from the film soundtrack An Officer And A Gentleman)

For years I got this song confused with “I’ve Had (The Time of My Life)” also a medley with Jennifer Warnes, also from a film soundtrack. Although Cocker’s voice is pretty distinctive.

In any case this tune is schmaltzy, very 80s, but for all that not too bad.

Users who are viewing this thread