What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The 100 Greatest Songs of 1982 #1. Little Red Corvette (1 Viewer)

If this was a list of songs that were cultural phenomenons then I might agree with you. But it isn’t. It’s a list of the greatest songs of the year.

We’re not done with this album. I have songs on it that I rank above “Thriller”. Actually 3 to be exact.

Well, Im looking forward to the next 27 songs that are "greater" than Thriller.
It’s a good mix of different genres.

Enjoying this one, as '82 is right when I was first exploring music outside of what my parents listened to, so I have a lot of really specific memories. I was 9-10 this year, and most importantly that Fall we first got cable and MTV. My first tape was Foreigner 4, which came out in July '81 but I distinctly remember getting it in an easter basket from my parents so that must have been Spring '82. My first record was definitely Thriller. I got my first little single-speaker boom box for my birthday in October, and Dirty Laundry by Don Henley was the first song I recorded off the radio on it.

I definitely don't remember a couple of these tunes. Some I discovered much later, notably Afrika Bambaattaa when I got into hip hop in '88 and immediately did a deep dive into its past, and Rush which when I got to college in '90 seemingly everyone listened to. I missed out on seeing any of these groups in concert during the 80s, but have since seen a few of them with the Go-Gos, Bow Wow Wow, Berlin, English Beat, and on that note....

3. Toto “Rosanna” (from Toto IV)

Time for some yacht rock royalty. As most people know, this song was named for Rosanna Arquette, though the lyrics are more generic. It was the band’s biggest hit to that point, only to be surpassed by another yacht rock classic off the same album.

Saw Toto and Journey here in Eugene a few weeks ago, it's amazing how good Toto still sounds after all of these years.

For the Boomers who were adults when Toto was big.....what was their following? Was it cool to like Toto? Was it overplayed to where people got sick of them?

I was too young to know.

For the Boomers who were adults when Toto was big.....what was their following? Was it cool to like Toto? Was it overplayed to where people got sick of them?

I was too young to know.
No & yes.

It was Boomers and Gen Xers who bought their records, though almost none would admit to it. I liked them.
Some may not like Toto’s sound, but there’s not a person in the world who can justifiably dismiss their musical chops.

Actually, Thriller should have more to come, which is fair.

It was my favorite album of 1982 at the time. I was nine.

29. Laura Branigan “Gloria” (from Branigan)

Both this song and the video feel like they belong in an earlier time from a couple of years before 1982: the disco era. Certainly it seems out of place among most of the other music on this list.

Nonetheless “Gloria” is an outstanding pop song which has survived over the decades (apparently in large part to the St Louis Blues, which is a team and sport I don’t really follow.) Laura really belts this one out.

Pretty close to peak Brannigan, she has another song that IMHO is one of the best pop songs of the decade...this one aint bad either.
The Michael Bolton one?
I hope not. That cover (original?) was atrocious. I love Laura, but she butchered it. Probably Solitaire or something

28. Michael Jackson “Thriller” (from Thriller)

The album Thriller, including this song, was released in November of 1982, which is why it’s included on this list and not a future list of 1983 songs. However, the single and connected video wasn’t released until a year later in November of 1983. If ever a strong argument is to be made for @John Maddens Lunchbox’s position that songs should be listed in the year they made the most impact rather than the year they were actually first released, this would be the one. However, I made my rule so I will stick to it. 1982 it is.

That being said, it’s impossible to separate this song from the video which was the most hyped and possibly greatest video of all time. I didn’t like it in 1983, or the song either. I was not a fan of Michael Jackson’s music at the time, and it took me many many years to come to appreciate it. (Ironically, the more I came to both appreciate and actually like Jackson’s the music, the more I also came to detest him as a human being.)

These days I think this song is a dance classic, not the best on the album but certainly up there.

might need to bump this way up buddy

a cultural phenomenon is not an exaggeration

Can't wait to see the 27 songs ranked above Thriller.

Hint: There shouldn't be.

I realize it's not cool to like the most popular music in music snob threads, but Thriller at 28 is laughable on multiple levels.
Im not sure if the fact that its not really 1982 plays into Tims ranking. I appreciate the shoutout about why there is no way i could rank this in 1982. The Girl is Mine is probably the only one with a legit claim to 1982 status. I used to be anal about year of release stuff, but it makes no sense. Thriller, the album and single is a 1983 Phenomenom.
I can easily find 27 songs better for 1982 and 1983 than Thriller. Great years for music. Thriller is still a damn fine song too, but theres at least 3 better on the album, let alone the genre or music in general.

The album Thriller, including this song, was released in November of 1982, which is why it’s included on this list and not a future list of 1983 songs. However, the single and connected video wasn’t released until a year later in November of 1983. If ever a strong argument is to be made for @John Maddens Lunchbox’s position that songs should be listed in the year they made the most impact rather than the year they were actually first released, this would be the one. However, I made my rule so I will stick to it. 1982 it is.

That being said, it’s impossible to separate this song from the video which was the most hyped and possibly greatest video of all time. I didn’t like it in 1983, or the song either. I was not a fan of Michael Jackson’s music at the time, and it took me many many years to come to appreciate it. (Ironically, the more I came to both appreciate and actually like Jackson’s the music, the more I also came to detest him as a human being.)

These days I think this song is a dance classic, not the best on the album but certainly up there.

Can't wait to see the 27 songs ranked above Thriller.

Hint: There shouldn't be.

I realize it's not cool to like the most popular music in music snob threads, but Thriller at 28 is laughable on multiple levels.
Im not sure if the fact that its not really 1982 plays into Tims ranking. I appreciate the shoutout about why there is no way i could rank this in 1982. The Girl is Mine is probably the only one with a legit claim to 1982 status. I used to be anal about year of release stuff, but it makes no sense. Thriller, the album and single is a 1983 Phenomenom.
I can easily find 27 songs better for 1982 and 1983 than Thriller. Great years for music. Thriller is still a damn fine song too, but theres at least 3 better on the album, let alone the genre or music in general.
Good point. Thriller (the LP) was more of a 1983 event. Especially after the "Motown 25" TV special, when Jackson tore the house down doing "Billie Jean".

It'll always be a 1982 album for me, though. I bought it upon release. "Thriller" (the song) was basically a rewrite of "Off The Wall", but the Vincent Price rap and Louis Johnson's bass bring it on home.

It's the last piece of cultural mono-culture I'll ever see.

I am sure others remember that the airing of the Thriller video was always a major event. Because of its length, it was never (IIRC) part of the normal rotation during the week, but usually got aired on Friday night at a special time. Cannot recall if other days and times were part of it as well, but I remember always seeing it on Friday night. As I have said before, I don't think some of the Thriller songs have held up well, but the two biggies (likely still to come) sure have, and I think the title track here has as well.

27. Fleetwood Mac “Gypsy” (from Mirage)

If I had to choose one song that was representative of Stevie Nicks, her singing and musical style, fashion, overall persona, this would be the one.

Ah yes, my favorite song by Fleetwood Mac. The melodies and the early 80s production combine to make this a terrific song (one that was never close to as good live, unlike many of their others).

27. Fleetwood Mac “Gypsy” (from Mirage)

If I had to choose one song that was representative of Stevie Nicks, her singing and musical style, fashion, overall persona, this would be the one.

My personal favorite song by Fleetwood Mac. Seen them live 3 times, most recently here in SD 4ish years ago.

This would be top 10 for me on the year at a minimum. I'd have it ahead of Thriller.

Last edited:
I am sure others remember that the airing of the Thriller video was always a major event. Because of its length, it was never (IIRC) part of the normal rotation during the week, but usually got aired on Friday night at a special time. Cannot recall if other days and times were part of it as well, but I remember always seeing it on Friday night. As I have said before, I don't think some of the Thriller songs have held up well, but the two biggies (likely still to come) sure have, and I think the title track here has as well.

This was definitely on multiple times a day at certain times when it first aired.

25. Survivor “Eye Of The Tiger” (from Rocky III)

Almost impossible to separate from the movie, which may be the most entertaining of Rocky flicks. I will argue to my dying day that Clubber Lang was the best fighter in any Rocky or Creed Film including Rocky. Yes he would have beaten Drago.

As for the song, it’s so cheesy it’s actually great. I really wanted Game of Thrones to play it when Arya Stark went through her 80s training montage in season 6. That would have been so awesome.

31. The Kinks “Come Dancing” (from State Of Confusion)

This album continued the revival of this band (begun with Give The People What They Want the year before.) This warm hearted song inspired by Ray Davies’ sister was quite a hit in 1982.

I’ve never attempted to rank Kinks songs but I regard “Come Dancing” as one of Ray Davies’ finest compositions. I’m pretty sure it would find its way at least somewhere in the top ten.

Love The Kinks and they had a pretty large gap between their mid 60's stuff and then their revival that you mention in the 80's with several great songs. Underappreciated band IMO.

If this was a list of songs that were cultural phenomenons then I might agree with you. But it isn’t. It’s a list of the greatest songs of the year.

We’re not done with this album. I have songs on it that I rank above “Thriller”. Actually 3 to be exact.

I have Thriller as the 5th best song on the album so I have no issues with the ranking here.

I have Thriller as the 5th best song on the album so I have no issues with the ranking here.

Okay, I'll buy that argument. I just don't see there being 27 better songs that year, but obviously this is a highly subjective discussion here and we are all just sharing our biased opinions.

My Thriller Album Song Rankings (irrespective of year)
1) Billie Jean
2) Wanna Be Starting Something
3) Human Nature
4) PYT
5) Thriller
6) Beat It
7) Say Say Say

So many bangers...

Okay, I'll buy that argument. I just don't see there being 27 better songs that year, but obviously this is a highly subjective discussion here and we are all just sharing our biased opinions.
Do you find you ever want to hear the song? You're in the car, working out, whatever. You go through Spotify to play Thriller??

It's like a novelty song to me, Vincent Price, the zombie makeup. It's like the Monster Mash.

Do you find you ever want to hear the song? You're in the car, working out, whatever. You go through Spotify to play Thriller??

It's like a novelty song to me, Vincent Price, the zombie makeup. It's like the Monster Mash.

Fair argument. For me it's more than that, but I have no problem with that take.

31. The Kinks “Come Dancing” (from State Of Confusion)

This album continued the revival of this band (begun with Give The People What They Want the year before.) This warm hearted song inspired by Ray Davies’ sister was quite a hit in 1982.

I’ve never attempted to rank Kinks songs but I regard “Come Dancing” as one of Ray Davies’ finest compositions. I’m pretty sure it would find its way at least somewhere in the top ten.

Love The Kinks and they had a pretty large gap between their mid 60's stuff and then their revival that you mention in the 80's with several great songs. Underappreciated band IMO.
I think the Kinks are the most underrated/unappreciated band of all time.

My Thriller Album Song Rankings (irrespective of year)
1) Billie Jean
2) Wanna Be Starting Something
3) Human Nature
4) PYT
5) Thriller
6) Beat It
7) Say Say Say

So many bangers...
Sounds right to me. Beat it is very overrated to me. The solo by EVH carries it

24. XTC “Senses Working Overtime” (from English Settlement)

Andy Partridge is a very smart songwriter, and this might be his finest ever composition. It’s such a brilliant exploration of the human condition, wrapped up in a catchy pop song. Just terrific.

Not on Thriller, which got the cheesy Mike/Paul duet.

It was a bonus track add on...I know because our family wore it out.

But you are correct in that it was not included in the original release.
Actually, I think you're wrong. "Girl Is Mine" was the McCartney/ Jackson duet on Thriller. "Say, Say, Say" was the Paul/Michael duet on the McCartney release "Pipes Of Peace".

Actually, I think you're wrong. "Girl Is Mine" was the McCartney/ Jackson duet on Thriller. "Say, Say, Say" was the Paul/Michael duet on the McCartney release "Pipes Of Peace".

I know for a fact it was added as a bonus track to later releases of Thriller. But I don't want to sidetrack this fine thread.

I know for a fact it was added as a bonus track to later releases of Thriller. But I don't want to sidetrack this fine thread.
Even if that is true, it doesn’t make it a “Thriller” song. It makes it a “Pipes of Peace” song.

Andy Partridge is a very smart songwriter, and this might be his finest ever composition. It’s such a brilliant exploration of the human condition, wrapped up in a catchy pop song. Just terrific.
No one on Jeopardy Masters recognized this song or the band last week. :sadbanana:

great song...wouldn't rank it this high, but I get it.

XTC is awesome, so is Senses Working Overtime. You want a killer new wave album, go listen to English Settlement? That is the album with SWO and it is great from start to finish pretty much (one or two songs I might call just average, but with 15 songs, that is a high percentage of great).

I loved Eye of the Tiger when I was a kid, but I never listen to it anymore. Maybe I have just heard it too many times due to having seen Rocky III 731 times.

I loved Eye of the Tiger when I was a kid, but I never listen to it anymore. Maybe I have just heard it too many times due to having seen Rocky III 731 times.

That's one of the interesting facets of these rankings...how much did radio overplay kill songs like Thriller, Eye of the Tiger and Gypsy to the point you are now gravitating to the lesser played new wave stuff...which seems to be going on here.

No one on Jeopardy Masters recognized this song or the band last week. :sadbanana:
Not a good song and better off if it is forgotten.

That's one of the interesting facets of these rankings...how much did radio overplay kill songs like Thriller, Eye of the Tiger and Gypsy to the point you are now gravitating to the lesser played new wave stuff...which seems to be going on here.
Only tim can answer your question as they're his rankings. He is listening to these tunes about 40 years later and trying to rank them. Ranking them based on who he is today and maybe remembering his thoughts back in the day.
"Thriller" was a cultural phenomenon because of the video. It was the first long form music video I can remember and it was heavily hyped. It's difficult to rank just the song without being influenced, one way or the other, by the video.

Users who are viewing this thread