What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***** THE ANNUAL J.STEWART ******* (1 Viewer)

bicycle_seat_sniffer

Smells like chicken
According to this article on NFL.com mabye Deangelo finally gets cut and Stewart gets his chance:http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000138919/article/why-the-panthers-need-to-cut-deangelo-williamsNew Carolina Panthers GM Dave Gettleman inherits a roster that has a lot of talent, but also has all kinds of salary cap problems. That means Gettleman is going to have to make some tough decisions fast. It doesn't get much tougher than cutting the franchise's all-time leading running back DeAngelo Williams at the age of 29. But Williams is a luxury the Panthers can no longer afford. Williams is set to make $4.75 million this season in base salary. He has an $8.2 million cap figure, according to ESPN.com's Pat Yasinskas. Cutting Williams and designating him a June first cut would ultimately save the Panthers $3.4 million in cap space for this season, according to Yasinskas. It's a tough move to make, but it's the right one. The Panthers simply pay too much money to their running backs, no matter how talented they are. Jonathan Stewart signed a huge contract before last season that guarantees his salaries for the next three seasons. So there's no way the Panthers cut Stewart. (Despite Stewart's injury history, we'd take his overall talent over Williams anyhow.) Unofficial list of free agentsFree agency is almost here. Check out this unofficial list of the 2013 NFL restricted and unrestricted free agents for every team. More ...For perspective: Williams played only 40 percent of the team's snaps last year even though Stewart missed nearly half the year. (Stewart played roughly 54 percent of the team's snaps when he was healthy.) The Panthers pay too much coin to guys that aren't on the field enough. Williams is a very good player who got paid like a great one. The annoying part for Panthers fans is that Williams still has plenty to offer. He's a quality player on a team that needs more of them. Unfortunately, the Panthers also have to start correcting some of former GM Marty Hurney's mistakes. Cornerback Chris Gamble is almost sure to be released and guys like Jon Beason may be asked to restructure their contracts.With so many high-priced players on the roster, there just isn't room for two big-name running backs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Resigning Stewart after resigning Williams was such a head scratching move, both at the time and in hindsight. Williams may be a better fit for the offense at the moment, but having that much cash tied up at running back in the current NFL is such a no-win proposition.

I heard they were cutting Newton as well and changing to a wishbone offense. Stewart will be the guy every down. He also had his ankles replaced with titanium.

In the 2010 offseason I traded LeSean McCoy and a 2011 1st rounder for Stewart and Williams... Williams has been moved, but I still have Stewart for 3 more years.I would really like to see a return on that debacle of a trade, dangit. :cry:

In the 2010 offseason I traded LeSean McCoy and a 2011 1st rounder for Stewart and Williams... Williams has been moved, but I still have Stewart for 3 more years.I would really like to see a return on that debacle of a trade, dangit. :cry:
No worries. Stewart will be a beast and McCoy will be a timeshare in 2013!

As long as Cam is still the first running option near the goal line, Stewart's value still is in the crapper regardless of the presence of another RB.

Even if Deangelo moves on, I think tolbert would get plenty of touches
And that still might leave enough for J Stew. **Shocker - I'm a J Stew AND D Will owner, so obviously I'd love to see them split up**Last year, as a team, Carolina had just over 2,000 rushing yards (9th in league), and had 21 rushing TDs (3rd in league).The year prior it was just over 2,400 rushing yards (3rd in league), and 26 rushing TDs (far and away #1 in league).The Carolina RBs have also had over 500 receiving yards each year with Cam, and 1-3 receiving TDs.All in all, we're looking at 2,500-2,900 total offensive yards and around 25 TDs.Give Cam his 750 rushing yards, and even giving Tolbert 600 offensive yards (rushing and receiving combined) still leaves 1,150-1,550 total yards for J Stew.7 TDs for Cam and 8 for Tolbert leaves another roughly 10 for J Stew. That ballparks him around a low end #1 to high end #2 RB. Not bad for a guy going at his ADP right now....Just because he might not get a huge piece of the pie....it's still a pretty big pie getting cut up. Would you rather have 75% of 2,000 yards and 10TDs or 50% of 3000 yards and 20 TDs?

Cutting Williams and designating him a June first cut would ultimately save the Panthers $3.4 million in cap space for this season, according to Yasinskas.
Can someone with more knowledge on this situation explain the "designate him for a June 1st cut"? I understand how this spreads out the cap hit over two seasons. However, I don't understand what this actually does in effect to DeAngelo. Do the Panthers actually do anything prior to June 1st? Or is there a procedure to cut him earlier than this, but 'designate' the cut as post-June 1st? Is DeAngelo basically in limbo until June 1st, or can he sign with another team prior to this deadline?

Cutting Williams and designating him a June first cut would ultimately save the Panthers $3.4 million in cap space for this season, according to Yasinskas.
Can someone with more knowledge on this situation explain the "designate him for a June 1st cut"? I understand how this spreads out the cap hit over two seasons. However, I don't understand what this actually does in effect to DeAngelo. Do the Panthers actually do anything prior to June 1st? Or is there a procedure to cut him earlier than this, but 'designate' the cut as post-June 1st? Is DeAngelo basically in limbo until June 1st, or can he sign with another team prior to this deadline?
The effect on DWIL would be his worst-case scenario. They would not actually cut him until after the date so that, like you mentioned, the cap hit is more palatable. But it would also keep him off the market until then instead of being like Bradshaw and being released early enough to potentially have more teams to negotiate with.

I was a year too early last year when I finally got around to believing this was the year, bbut.....THIS SI THE YEAR! LOL! I know it!LOL! Who ever knows in this situaiton? It has never made sense on how they signed both those guys, used both those guys, or any of it. So...who knows? With that being said, I can still call myself an optimist because I can see a scenario where JSTEW is a solid RB1 this year. I have always thought with guys like him, even with the presence of a QB like Cam, that volume would drive the outcome. There's enough food on the table for Cam and JSTEW in today's NFL; especially if teams start looking at curbing the exposure to their QBs any at all. JSTEW is the type of talent that if you give him 5-8 more carries a week, you're going to see some of those turn in to big plays. Just by volume given, he could have a "Alfred Morris" type year without trying hard. He could have a Shady McCoy, 2011, season if the team ever got behind him. So, yeah, I'm saying this is the year.

So, yeah, I'm saying this is the year.
So are you saying you're seeing a "career year" from J Stew? Cause he's already had a 1,270 total yard, 11 TD season. Matching or exceeding that will lock him into being at least a low end #1 RB (pretty much same numbers that T Rich, Ridley and Gore did this year).

The effect on DWIL would be his worst-case scenario. They would not actually cut him until after the date so that, like you mentioned, the cap hit is more palatable. But it would also keep him off the market until then instead of being like Bradshaw and being released early enough to potentially have more teams to negotiate with.
I actually found this older article (may not be still relevant, who knows) that may say otherwise: http://lionscap.blogspot.com/2008/03/june-1st-designation.htmlThe key point...
With the most recent CBA extension, there was a new rule implemented. It allowed teams to designate up to two players as June 1 cuts, release them immediately and have the cap implications treated as if the player(s) were cut on June 1st. Both the owners and the players wanted this designation. The owners because they could release players now, free up a roster spot to sign veteran free agents. The NFLPA wanted this rule, because it allowed the players to be free to negotiate a contract earlier in free agency instead of having to wait until being officially cut on June 1 to look for a new team. In the past, most teams had used most of their current year cap space by June 1st and had little cap space to sign these players. Players released after June 1st often times had very limited options.

As long as Cam is still the first running option near the goal line, Stewart's value still is in the crapper regardless of the presence of another RB.
Really? That's a bit strong. I tend to shy away from RBs who are not goal line backs, but there are plenty of guys who still put up solid FF numbers without goal line carries. If he's a three down back without GL carries, there is still top 12 potential. In a RBBC league, a guy who gets 20 touches per game would have to be allergic to the goal line (think Curtis Martin 2003 or Thomas Jones 2007) to not finish top 12.

Really? That's a bit strong. I tend to shy away from RBs who are not goal line backs, but there are plenty of guys who still put up solid FF numbers without goal line carries. If he's a three down back without GL carries, there is still top 12 potential. In a RBBC league, a guy who gets 20 touches per game would have to be allergic to the goal line (think Curtis Martin 2003 or Thomas Jones 2007) to not finish top 12.
I think 20 carries/game is rather unrealistic for Stewart. Last year was really the first that he missed a significant number of games, but he has continually had nagging injuries that I imagine are a concern to the coaching staff. I would expect a max of 250 carries this year from him, with Tolbert picking up 100 carries. In addition the possibility of Tolbert getting some goal-line chances, he is also a solid receiver and could cut into his 3rd down work.As a Stewart owner, I think I'd be happy with 1300-1400 combined yards, 5-6 TDs, and 30-35 catches. That would bring him in right around the late teens, I believe.

I actually found this older article (may not be still relevant, who knows) that may say otherwise: http://lionscap.blogspot.com/2008/03/june-1st-designation.htmlThe key point...
With the most recent CBA extension, there was a new rule implemented. It allowed teams to designate up to two players as June 1 cuts, release them immediately and have the cap implications treated as if the player(s) were cut on June 1st. Both the owners and the players wanted this designation. The owners because they could release players now, free up a roster spot to sign veteran free agents. The NFLPA wanted this rule, because it allowed the players to be free to negotiate a contract earlier in free agency instead of having to wait until being officially cut on June 1 to look for a new team. In the past, most teams had used most of their current year cap space by June 1st and had little cap space to sign these players. Players released after June 1st often times had very limited options.
Interesting, wonder why Carolina hasnt acted yet then? plenty of cuts going down

The "Cam Factor", along with his feet problems, doesn't leave alot of optimism in my eyes. Throw in Tolbert or whoever else they bring in to vulture carries and it's even worse for him. Stewart has had problems with this feet ever since he entered the league. I'm done with him. I traded him for the 1.5 this year and I'd rather be a year too early than a year too late. I was delighted to trade him.

Stewie was dropped at the end of this year in one of my 16 tm dynasties.I was one of the only people with cap room to sign him. I won him in waivers with a $37 bid (out of a $1,000 cap). In comparison I was paying MJD $138 and am currently paying Mathews $85.I figured he was worth the gamble for that cheap of a contract. The way I look at it ishe's still young, is in a running offense, and he is a playmaker when healthy. If you can get him cheap, jump all over it.

Interesting, wonder why Carolina hasnt acted yet then? plenty of cuts going down
Any chance they can renegotiate his deal and trade him? What remaining money would D Will get from Carolina if they cut him? I believe zero (but I might be wrong). So he could hit the open market and get a new deal, but why couldn't a team approach D Will and say "we'll pay you X and you can be our lead back, so sign this new deal with Carolina (by renegotiating your current deal), and then we'll trade a 5th round pick to Carolina so they get something in return.

Any chance they can renegotiate his deal and trade him? What remaining money would D Will get from Carolina if they cut him? I believe zero (but I might be wrong). So he could hit the open market and get a new deal, but why couldn't a team approach D Will and say "we'll pay you X and you can be our lead back, so sign this new deal with Carolina (by renegotiating your current deal), and then we'll trade a 5th round pick to Carolina so they get something in return.
thats an NBA type move, doesnt happen in the NFL, teams wont help other teams cap situation at all, Im sure the FO's of the other 31 teams know exactly what Carolina is up against and will just wait for them to cut DeAngelo

blurb on Stewart's contract and a modification to it:More on Jonathan Stewart's contract Thu Feb 14, 03:47 PM Updating previous reports, Carolina Panthers RB Jonathan Stewart's $1.5 million base salary in 2014 and $2.5 million of his $4.25 million base salary in 2015 are fully guaranteed because he was on the roster three days after the start of the 2013 waiver period. His salary cap figure from 2014 to 2017 will decrease by around $50,000 per season because of his contract restructuring. His 2014 option bonus has dropped from $9 million to $6.875 million because of the restructuring.

thats an NBA type move, doesnt happen in the NFL, teams wont help other teams cap situation at all, Im sure the FO's of the other 31 teams know exactly what Carolina is up against and will just wait for them to cut DeAngelo
No, I get that, but at that point they would be fighting with (potentially) the other 30 teams in the league to acquire D Will's services.....and they might not win that fight.By going the "NBA route" they can assure themselves of getting D Will. D Will can also get a nice contract (he'd have to approve), and can possibly come in as the starter. Carolina would win by clearing the cap room, and maybe getting a future late pick out of it. Maybe Carolina would be willing to include a pick in this situation.

Carolina Panthers reportedly restructured Jonathan Stewart's contracthttp://www.catscratchreader.com/2013/2/13/3986866/carolina-panthers-reportedly-restructured-jonathan-stewarts-contract

According to Brian McIntyre of Yahoo's 'Shutdown Corner', the deal was done shortly following this year's Super Bowl. The restructuring does the opposite of conventional wisdom -- increases Stewart's 2013 cap hit to $3.01-million, up from $2.8-million. This is a long-term move, and perhaps the clearest sign that the organization will part ways with DeAngelo Williams this off-season, unless a massive restructure is done of the extension he signed less than three years ago.What the deal does is commit to Stewart over the long-term. Previously there was a $9-million option bonus due in 2014, which has now been reduced to $6.88-million. This would have been the natural breaking point in his contract, but instead this is a vote of confidence in him being the team's feature back moving forward.

Next year is always the year for us Stewart addicts and I'm not losing faith now. Is Tolbert worth stashing at the bottom of rosters as a handcuff?

There is a lot of talk about the outlook for Stewart next year but practically nothing concerning Wiliams. Would anyone like to hazard a guess if he can land a starting gig or timeshare? Or will he be relegated to the bench?

Most overrated dynasty rb. Ever.
:goodposting: It's never the year with this guy, and yet every year, people think it is. I know I am not the only one done dealing that mess in the Carolina backfield, especially since they are bringing back the same coaching staff.

Not sure what to make of thishttp://instagram.com/p/V5MhUKqFTK/

Second and scope went good today so now it's go time!!!
I assume by "second" he means second opinion. Is he talking about a new scope or the last scope?

Looking to unload. Traded him in another league for Gonzo last year. Happy to be rid of him even if Gonzo retires.

So, yeah, I'm saying this is the year.
So are you saying you're seeing a "career year" from J Stew? Cause he's already had a 1,270 total yard, 11 TD season. Matching or exceeding that will lock him into being at least a low end #1 RB (pretty much same numbers that T Rich, Ridley and Gore did this year).
No, just a more consistent one with clearer defined roles instead of the guessing game that has been. Thinking RB14-RB18 sounds realistic with upside for more. Basically, Ahmad Bradshaw type of year.

From a real-world perspective, based on listening to former personnell guys like Pat Kirwin, the reality is it is a nice rule in theory. And if you have a certain type of player (one withage, history of injuries, etc), it can work out well if you think you can cut him and then actually get him back at a smaller salary. So, you cut guys like that. But with DWIL, if the Panthers cut him now, he probably ends up in Denver in a few weeks. However, if the Panthers actually DO hold him and wait to cut him, they still get all the benefits they were going to otherwise get PLUS they get a slight shot of bringing him back because other clubs will have spent most of their money by June 1. That's why I said, in my opinion, if this is the road they are going, it's worst-case scenario for DWIL. I just think, realistically, the Panthers are going to do what benefits them the most and, to me, holding him off the market as long as possible AND getting the relief is THEIR best move because they will get the financial benefit but also might actually bring him back cheap if DWIL can't land somewhere else. With most of the money being spent by then, and with DWIL being known to prefer to stay in Carolina, maybe it helps the team.There are some teams out there, however that are kind of known to lie in the weeds and not spend all their cash early and then get more heavily involved in what the talking heads call the "2nd wave" of free agency. A couple of those notable teams are NE and Pitt so I can envision an interesting scenario where Pitt brings him in.

Carolina Panthers GM hopes to keep DeAngelo WilliamsOn Thursday, Carolina Panthers general manager Dave Gettleman offered hope that Jonathan Stewart and Williams could remain on the team together."Can we keep both of them? Again, decisions have to be made," Gettleman told reporters. "I don't see why not."Stewart has already restructured his deal, so he's not going anywhere. Williams' status could depend on whether enough other players possibly get cut or restructure their contracts."The first thing we have to do is make March 12 and get there. It's a puzzle," Gettleman said. "There's obviously going to have to be some work done. It's no secret. The bottom line is everybody knows we're over the cap and we've got to get there."
Time to pump the breaks a bit...

'NickDblU said:
Carolina Panthers GM hopes to keep DeAngelo WilliamsOn Thursday, Carolina Panthers general manager Dave Gettleman offered hope that Jonathan Stewart and Williams could remain on the team together."Can we keep both of them? Again, decisions have to be made," Gettleman told reporters. "I don't see why not."Stewart has already restructured his deal, so he's not going anywhere. Williams' status could depend on whether enough other players possibly get cut or restructure their contracts."The first thing we have to do is make March 12 and get there. It's a puzzle," Gettleman said. "There's obviously going to have to be some work done. It's no secret. The bottom line is everybody knows we're over the cap and we've got to get there."
Time to pump the breaks a bit...
What GMs say and do are often completely different in the offseason. I.e. -- I don't buy for a second that DeAngelo will be with the Panthers in 2013.

:goodposting: It's never the year with this guy, and yet every year, people think it is. I know I am not the only one done dealing that mess in the Carolina backfield, especially since they are bringing back the same coaching staff.
Looking to unload. Traded him in another league for Gonzo last year. Happy to be rid of him even if Gonzo retires.
'ratbast said:
Injuries/RBBC/TD by committee. No thanks
Looks like it's time to buy. It wouldn't be the first time the fantasy community has given up on a talented running back way too early. Thomas Jones, Cedric Benson, Marshawn Lynch, etc.

I don't buy for a second that DeAngelo will be with the Panthers in 2013.
:goodposting: The new GM has a get out of jail free card this year. 0.01% chance that DWil is a Panther in 2013.
I'd agree that he won't be back on his current contract, but he may be willing to restructure. He had his chance to bail for a better team and/or more money and didn't. I'm guessing he's happy to still be rich, play for a team moving in the right direction, and not have to uproot himself / his family.

I just got turned down where I offered Stewart for the 1.04 in a Devy Draft. I guess there are still some with some sense out there :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I just got turned down where I offered Stewart for the 1.04 in a Devy Draft. I guess there are still some with some sense out there :)
We get it. You don't like j stew. This is turning into Blackmon last year ;)
No, actually I do like him. I just wish he had fallen into a better situation coming out of college. Being drafted by the Panthers was very unlucky for him. I also wish he could stay healthy. I feel like his career will end up being not what it should have been.

I'm not worried about him not getting his opportunity, but the ankles sure seem to be his achilles heel. Achilles ankle?

Bout becoming dog meat. One of the most overrated rookie RBs in recent history. Super talented, but opportunity and injury has prevailed.

Users who are viewing this thread