What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** The Bridge on FX - Christofficial *** (1 Viewer)

Christo

Footballguy
http://www.fxnetworks.com/thebridge

Who gets custody of a body left on the bridge between El Paso, Texas, and Juarez, Mexico — a body positioned precisely so that half is in one country, half in the other?

Will El Paso Homicide Detective Sonya Cross (Diane Kruger) take the case and run with it? (“She’s American,” Cross says, looking at the murdered woman’s white face.) Or will Detective Marco Ruiz (Demian Bichir) of the Chihuahua State Police, with odds against him on both sides of the border, join in the investigation?

Even after the body turns out to be the unmatched halves of two women — one a young Mexican, the other a U.S. judge who had taken an anti-immigration stance — the crime that drives “The Bridge” isn’t the most compelling thing about this excellent, absorbing new series.

Instead, writers Meredith Stiehm (“Cold Case,” “Homeland”) and Elwood Reid lure us in with a serial killer, hook us with his mysterious political agenda and wind up making us care about immigration and border issues, and the people they touch, in ways we might not have expected.

Given its timely and very North American themes, the origins of “The Bridge” might be surprising.

“Broen,” or “Bron,” set on a bridge beween Denmark and Sweden, aired in those countries in 2011 and later in Great Britain, Germany and elsewhere. A second season is set for fall.

Would Americans watch a dubbed or subtitled foreign drama? Some might, but FX is aiming bigger than that with this adaptation, whose Texas-Mexico border setting network president John Landgraf said would make it “both riveting and relevant.”

The decision to remake “The Bridge” is just another example of the fact that TV is very much a two-way street these days between the United States and the rest of the world.

British TV series, especially comedies, have been adapted by American networks for years, with mixed results. (Two notable successes: “All in the Family” and “The Office.”)

Anyone who has watched television abroad has seen many American series dubbed into the local language, and countries including Russia have adapted U.S. comedies including “Everybody Loves Raymond.”

But with other countries turning out a growing number of their own shows, especially dramas, idea-strapped U.S. producers are increasingly looking there for content.

AMC’s “The Killing” was a faithful adaptation of the Danish crime drama “Forbrydelsen.” Showtime’s “Homeland” was inspired by (although not adapted from) the Israeli series “Hatufim,” about prisoners of war. ABC’s summer series “Mistresses” was originally British, as is AMC’s upcoming “Low Winter Sun.” Lifetime’s “Devious Maids” is adapted from a Mexican soap opera.

Not every adaptation goes entirely right. Remember MTV’s adaptation of the British cult favorites “Skins” and “The Inbetweeners,” or any number of short-lived comedies? Even “The Killing” irritated many U.S. viewers with its slow pace and failure to resolve its mystery until the end of Season 2.

But “The Bridge” translates brilliantly, fitting into its new setting so perfectly, you’d never imagine it had aired in any other incarnation.

Casting Bichir (Oscar-nominated for “A Better Life”) as the male lead was key. He’s both entirely authentic and completely accessible as weary Mexican detective Ruiz, a good but flawed man trying to get along in a corrupt system where “gringos” might not understand the rules.

Kruger (“National Treasure,” “Inglourious Basterds”) is German, but she’s just right as quirky Texas detective Cross, whose personality disorder — she has Asperger’s syndrome, FX says, although that isn’t addressed in the first three episodes — makes her both brilliant and difficult. (“I’m sorry if I didn’t exercise empathy,” she tells the angry, grieving husband of a murder victim.)

The flawed female detective has become a familiar character, from Helen Mirren’s alcoholic Detective Jane Tennison in “Prime Suspect” to Claire Danes’ bipolar Carrie Mathison on “Homeland.” Asperger’s is also, perhaps, an overly popular TV diagnosis.

But Kruger makes Cross feel fresh and even unique, whether she’s gathering evidence in a case (she sees everything!) or setting up a sexual encounter with a puzzled stranger.

The cast is crowded and rich with personalities both in Juarez and El Paso, with even the smallest roles cast sharply. Matthew Lillard has a tense and darkly funny moment as an obnoxious newspaper reporter entangled with the murderer. Especially appealing is Ted Levine as Lt. Hank Wade, the boss who has protectively guarded Cross for years, helping her to function. His impending retirement now terrifies her.

One subplot that doesn’t quite fit in with the rest of the series, at least early on, has Annabeth Gish as Charlotte Millwright, second wife of a horse rancher with secrets. In the opening scene, he has suffered a heart attack, and his ambulance needs to get across the bridge. How Cross wants to handle that, and how Ruiz does, lets viewers know much about both of them. That Charlotte gets a storyline of her own, though, is a bit of a surprise.

But after watching the first three episodes, it’s easy to trust that “The Bridge” knows exactly where it’s going and to want to travel that route.{&rule}‘The Bridge’

http://www.stltoday.com/entertainment/television/gail-pennington/fx-s-the-bridge-takes-viewers-on-fascinating-journey/article_92d274ab-97f6-590b-a7b4-31d32bffa83e.html

:fingerscrossed:

In. Had a buddy that lived in El Paso for years. Told some great Juarez stories before they went all bat#### crazy and started cutting everyone's head off.

Just reading the OP and this show seems to be trying too hard:

"Even after the body turns out to be the unmatched halves of two women — one a young Mexican, the other a U.S. judge who had taken an anti-immigration stance"

Really?

How about being a little more subtle like finding flesh from the US Judge in the stomach of the murdered woman?

there were a couple ads on a tv in the background that I didn't pay attention to, and I was wondering if this was a series based on a true story about a bridge.

now that i've read the synopsis I can say that this is the stupidest ####### premise I've ever heard of, and I just read the sharknado thread.

Flying Spaghetti Monster said:
Just reading the OP and this show seems to be trying too hard:

"Even after the body turns out to be the unmatched halves of two women — one a young Mexican, the other a U.S. judge who had taken an anti-immigration stance"

Really?

How about being a little more subtle like finding flesh from the US Judge in the stomach of the murdered woman?
Kool-Aid Larry said:
there were a couple ads on a tv in the background that I didn't pay attention to, and I was wondering if this was a series based on a true story about a bridge.

now that i've read the synopsis I can say that this is the stupidest ####### premise I've ever heard of, and I just read the sharknado thread.
Feel free not to watch :thumbup:

Sonia's hold her earpiece and phone shtick is annoying.

Was hoping Scream would have gotten blowed up

In for now

I haven't watched this yet, but have it DVR'd. I'm at the point with FX that I am with HBO and probably Showtime - they're getting a shot for a few episodes for me. I'll give them a chance to let things develop, whereas if it's CBS or something, I tend to assume that won't happen.

:(

Had some hopes for this based on reviews. Still sitting on DVR and will give it a shot today.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have mixed feelings

Good

- the Mexican cop

- Buffalo Bill from Scilence Of The Lambs is in it

- potential for large cats to attack someone

Bad

- the main girl cops emotionless robot schtick

- Matthew Lliard is in it

Agree with most. Didn't hate it. Didn't love it. Will keep watching because it's FX.

The car thing was a little silly. I can understand, maybe, when there are 20 minutes on the clock, that you might not break the window because you think the bomb might be rigged to explode if you do. But with 2 minutes left and the bomb squad leaving...um...you break the ####### window and get out.

I liked it a lot. I'll probably bow out for now so I can binge once the season is over.

Brady Marino said:
FDAS said:
Brady Marino said:

Had some hopes for this based on reviews. Still sitting on DVR and will give it a shot today.
Williston ND? Do you have to be on the lookout for Indian raids?
That and angry oil field workers. Money's good here, though.
Can you get me an oil field job? TIA.
Drive/fly in here and you'll have an oil job within 72 hours.
YES!

(I'm not going to die of some strange cancer in 10 years, will I?)

Brady Marino said:
FDAS said:
Brady Marino said:

Williston ND? Do you have to be on the lookout for Indian raids?
That and angry oil field workers. Money's good here, though.
Can you get me an oil field job? TIA.
Drive/fly in here and you'll have an oil job within 72 hours.
YES!

(I'm not going to die of some strange cancer in 10 years, will I?)
Hasn't been 10 years since the boom started. :shrug:

(FTR, I don't work in the oil field. I just make well above wages in my field for a market this size)

I have mixed feelings

Good

- the Mexican cop

- Buffalo Bill from Scilence Of The Lambs is in it

- potential for large cats to attack someone

Bad

- the main girl cops emotionless robot schtick

- Matthew Lliard is in it
Yeah, I was hoping he was going to get splattered but then it crossed my mind that while his career is in the toilet the toilet hasn't yet been flushed.

Litlle concerned with the generally luke warm reviews. Usually critics see 2-3 episodes of a new episode when reviewing - so here's hoping it delivers next week

Litlle concerned with the generally luke warm reviews. Usually critics see 2-3 episodes of a new episode when reviewing - so here's hoping it delivers next week
Reminds me of The Americans and the massive amounts of I'm out here after episode 1 ... only to return after episode 2 to say IN!The first episode is about building characters and the upcoming story and for that I thought they did a good job.

The only thing I think they missed was letting viewers in on the fact the main lady detective has asbergers(sp?) which is why she comes off so "weird".

:popcorn:

Reminds me of The Americans and the massive amounts of I'm out here after episode 1 ... only to return after episode 2 to say IN!The first episode is about building characters and the upcoming story and for that I thought they did a good job.

The only thing I think they missed was letting viewers in on the fact the main lady detective has asbergers(sp?) which is why she comes off so "weird".

its obvious she has something. there's no denying she's quite different.

I thought she was just a bad actress, but if she's playing a chick with a disability like autism, then I get it. They really didn't do a good job of playing that up until I thought "wow, this gal is community theatre bad".

No they did a pretty good job of hinting that she's "off." I swear some people want to get hit over the head with a shovel. Maybe she should have taken a break from her investigation to call her doc for a refill on her "asbergers" medication.

I thought she was just a bad actress, but if she's playing a chick with a disability like autism, then I get it. They really didn't do a good job of playing that up until I thought "wow, this gal is community theatre bad".
:doh:

No they did a pretty good job of hinting that she's "off." I swear some people want to get hit over the head with a shovel. Maybe she should have taken a break from her investigation to call her doc for a refill on her "asbergers" medication.
Yeah, like the very first scene where she was more worried about yelling at people about letting the ambulance through rather than just working the scene. Then sniffing her armpit. Then taking her shirt off in the squad room. Then filing a complaint with the Mexican authorities about the Mexican cop letting the ambulance through even though one of her first interactions with the Mexican cop was asking him about all Mexican cops being corrupt. Then calling him at 4:00 a.m. about a body that had been frozen. Then going ape #### crazy about the Mexican cop starting to pull the cassette out.

No hints there.

Users who are viewing this thread