What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Day the Dinosaurs Died (1 Viewer)

Amazing find; amazing story.

They've filled in a gap in the fossil record with fossils from the day of the asteroid impact 66 million years ago.  It reveals what happened in the hour after the asteroid hit and provides a play by play of the day that extincted 75% of all species and killed 99.9999% of all life on the planet, including the dinosaurs.
pretty amazing article, hope this gets vetted soon ...and the guy doesn't get ripped off.  

Thanks for posting this article.  I love reading about stuff like this and also go down research rabbit holes as I read about things like this.  Wikipedia is good for that kind of thing.

Amazing find; amazing story.

They've filled in a gap in the fossil record with fossils from the day of the asteroid impact 66 million years ago.  It reveals what happened in the hour after the asteroid hit and provides a play by play of the day that extincted 75% of all species and killed 99.9999% of all life on the planet, including the dinosaurs.
Is the math above wrong or am I just really bad at math?

He had already experienced harsh judgment when, in 2015, he published a paper on a new species of dinosaur called a Dakotaraptor, and mistakenly inserted a fossil turtle bone in the reconstruction. Although rebuilding a skeleton from thousands of bone fragments that have commingled with those of other species is not easy, DePalma was mortified by the attacks. “I never want to go through that again,” 
The trials and tribulations of a struggling paleontologist.   :lmao:

This article was an enjoyable read.  

Drove my Chevy to the levee 
A long, long (long, long, long, etc.) time ago...

--

But February made me shiver
With every asteroid that destroyed the rivers
Bad news on the Hell Creek steppe
I couldn't take one more step (in the mud)

There's apparently a lot of things in this article that aren't in the academic paper about the find at all. I fell down a deep Twitter wormhole last night reading paleontologists crap on this guy and his propensity to go to the media before his colleagues can vet his work because it's the initial lie that sticks in people's minds, not the follow-up "but wait, that's not quite right" when the science emerges. They even kill him for dressing up like Indiana Jones for the photo op for the article. Kinda sounds like a lot of it in the New Yorker piece might be BS, and people in the field are very skeptical of this guy's work. Should be easy to search the reactions on Twitter--this guy seems like a gloryhound who cuts corners on the science. 

There's apparently a lot of things in this article that aren't in the academic paper about the find at all. I fell down a deep Twitter wormhole last night reading paleontologists crap on this guy and his propensity to go to the media before his colleagues can vet his work because it's the initial lie that sticks in people's minds, not the follow-up "but wait, that's not quite right" when the science emerges. They even kill him for dressing up like Indiana Jones for the photo op for the article. Kinda sounds like a lot of it in the New Yorker piece might be BS, and people in the field are very skeptical of this guy's work. Should be easy to search the reactions on Twitter--this guy seems like a gloryhound who cuts corners on the science. 
1)  extraordinary claims really do require extraordinary evidence -- so caution is warranted.

2)  there's nothing an academic hates more than an unknown academic in their field becoming really popular.

3)  extraordinary claims really do require extraordinary evidence -- so caution is warranted.

4)  he allied himself with some very credible scientists from the field on this.  The scientists quoted in the article aren't nobodies.

5)  extraordinary claims really do require extraordinary evidence -- so caution is warranted.

6)  he kept it quiet for almost six years now to build his case -- the reporter confirms he first heard from the guy in 2013.  You'd think he's have gone public with it much earlier if he was glory-hounding it.

7)  see #1, #3, #5

Yup. He's like the bad guys in Twister....more interested in cool vans, snazzy jackets and technology than just "feeling" the weather like The Extreme! did.

Interesting stuff.  Sounds like the guy has taken some liberties in the past, but his findings shouldn’t be dismissed ad hominem.  I’m sure the paper will be scrutinized and studied with skepticism.  If it pans out, it’s quite a discovery.

Last edited by a moderator:
I read the article from the New Yorker and it was fascinating.  Also, read another article that some of the claims in the New Yorker were not in the main paper but it did conclude that subsequent per-reviewed papers would be released but seems to me even if the Dinosaur headlines aren't exactly correct it is still an amazing find.  

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread