What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Earliest You Have Seen LJ Drafted? (1 Viewer)

The Duff Man

Footballguy
I drafted Holmes at 1.3 in a 12 teamer that starts 2 RBs and 3 WRs.Some dolt at 1.10 drafted like this:1.10 Portis2.3 J Jones3.10 Burleson4.3 LJ?!Taking a backup RB before taking his starting QB, two starting WRs and he won't pick again for 18 picks.....smooth....

The Priest owner made a successful cuff in round 7 last night in my annual re draft league.

Last edited by a moderator:
Took Holmes at 1.4 and thought I'd be just fine waiting until the 5th. He was taken 5.2; 2 picks before me in the 5th. I'm still wondering what I should do about it. I thought it was a stupid pick for him, but it really screws me and gives me an uneasy feeling. This happen to anyone else?...one thing I don't think you should do is give up the farm to the guy who steals him early from you. Guess you just have to sit back and hope "The Padre" can stay healthy and be as awesome as he's shown he can be.

I've seen him go in the 1st and 2nd rds in some of the MOX Drafts.MOX IV - 1.12MOX V - 2.02MOX VI - 2.03MOX VII - 2.03

The Priest owner made a successful cuff in round 7 last night in my annual re draft league.
I grabbed LJ in the seventh as my 4th RB in a keeper a couple weeks ago. This has nothing to do with this thread though. :bye:

I drafted Holmes at 1.3 in a 12 teamer that starts 2 RBs and 3 WRs.

Some dolt at 1.10 drafted like this:

1.10 Portis

2.3 J Jones

3.10 Burleson

4.3 LJ?!

Taking a backup RB before taking his starting QB, two starting WRs and he won't pick again for 18 picks.....smooth....
Yeah but I bet he's already got his eye on that WR that the Priest owner took in the 3rd round.

Took Holmes at 1.4 and thought I'd be just fine waiting until the 5th. He was taken 5.2; 2 picks before me in the 5th. I'm still wondering what I should do about it. I thought it was a stupid pick for him, but it really screws me and gives me an uneasy feeling. This happen to anyone else?...one thing I don't think you should do is give up the farm to the guy who steals him early from you. Guess you just have to sit back and hope "The Padre" can stay healthy and be as awesome as he's shown he can be.
That blows. That is the reason I passed him over at 1.03. I figured someone would take LJ too early. The bum lasts until the 7th round.

Never can tell.

Of course. But I am not trading for him. Let the guy struggle at WR all year (ppr league). I've got:1.3 Holmes

2.10 C Johnson

3.3 Owens

I can get Taylor, Moore, Dunn or a host of other RBs in rounds 4-7 and still be OK.

Took Holmes at 1.4 and thought I'd be just fine waiting until the 5th.  He was taken 5.2; 2 picks before me in the 5th.  I'm still wondering what I should do about it.  I thought it was a stupid pick for him, but it really screws me and gives me an uneasy feeling.  This happen to anyone else?...one thing I don't think you should do is give up the farm to the guy who steals him early from you. Guess you just have to sit back and hope "The Padre" can stay healthy and be as awesome as he's shown he can be.
That blows. That is the reason I passed him over at 1.03. I figured someone would take LJ too early. The bum lasts until the 7th round.

Never can tell.
Yeah, despite the baggage, I felt that at that slot, It was the right pick to make at that point....but you're right....it blows.

All depends on who your other RBs and your league set-up. Is it start 2 RBs only or a flex? If it's the former and you already have 3 solid or better RBs than you'll be fine should Holmes get hurt again. If it's the latter and you have good RB and WR depth you can cover yourself using the flex spot should Holmes get injured. Also keep in mind that there will be a few players at both positions who will emerge during the course of the season who aren't on anybody's roster right now. That always happens. So if you make the right moves on the WW you can add to your team's depth and be prepared should injury strike.Having the LJ handcuff is certainly a good way to cover yourself should Priest get hurt, but it's hardly the only one in my opinion. I see no reason to fret if you already have good depth or if you are able to play the WW intelligently as the season progresses. Keep in mind that you may not need to duplicate Priest's production or even Johnson's to win. You just need to have someone you can count on who can deliver solid (or better) production.

Of course. But I am not trading for him. Let the guy struggle at WR all year (ppr league). I've got:1.3 Holmes

2.10 C Johnson

3.3 Owens

I can get Taylor, Moore, Dunn or a host of other RBs in rounds 4-7 and still be OK.
Exactly, you shouldn't be bitter; you should be happy. If you value a guy in round 7, be happy someone took him in round 4. That means someone you value much higher just dropped.

Took Holmes at 1.4 and thought I'd be just fine waiting until the 5th.  He was taken 5.2; 2 picks before me in the 5th.  I'm still wondering what I should do about it.  I thought it was a stupid pick for him, but it really screws me and gives me an uneasy feeling.  This happen to anyone else?...one thing I don't think you should do is give up the farm to the guy who steals him early from you. Guess you just have to sit back and hope "The Padre" can stay healthy and be as awesome as he's shown he can be.

Never can tell.
In one of my local redraft leagues through CBSsportsline, there are 14 roster spots and you have to draft 2/3/3/2/2/2 and then following the draft, you can add/drop to customize your team as long as you have enough at each position to fill starting requirements of 1/2/2/1/1/1. It really changes things when you can only draft 3 RBS and 3 WRs.LJ went in the last round by a guy who hadn’t taken a running back since the 2nd round. Again, you are limited to drafting 3 RBs & 3 WRs, so nobody else could get him after they had committed to 3 early RBs. If I didn’t know the guy, and his track record as a Chiefs homer, I’d almost give him credit for a great draft strategy. His comment “well, I need a 3rd RB, it might as well be one from my favorite team”.

On a side note, I dropped my extra TE and DEF to add Thomas Jones and Charles Rogers to my bench.

2.10 C Johnson

3.3 Owens

LOL @ you with "Let the guy struggle at WR all year" because you think he pissed away his 4.3 pick when you may have just as effectively pissed away your 3.3 pick.

LJ kept in a 4 person Keeper league that I am in. It's a pretty serious league too. The guy dropped Horn just to keep him.I actually think it's a clever move. This guy is more than a Joe Horn away from being competitive. With LJ and his #1 overall pick, he might be on the road to recovery.

This is just another reason why I'm not touching him at #5 in a re-draft league even though I'm 99% sure he's going to be there when I pick.Add to the fact that he's over 30 and has an injury history. Plus, our league has 20 teams and starts 3 RBs so my 4th and 5th round picks are #76 and # 85 overall, which is after when LJ should be gone so I can't take LJ with my 2nd or 3rd pick.I hope he scores 30 TD's this year, but I've got enough headaches to deal with every year!!

took him last night at 1.3 in a ten teamer. scooped up lj at 6.3. not to mention moss at 2.8 and julius jones at 3.3. god my team is solid

This is part of the falacy with the complaints about having to take Grammama to handcuff with Priest. Either you are committed to the plan or you let it go - who was the player you needed SO badly at 4.9 that you couldn't take LJ there with your next pick coming in seven players? I am willing to bet that if you took LJ at 4.9 you would have had equal value to your pick at 5.4ADP on Johnson is 7.2, but in leagues with better drafters he is more often going in the 5th and 6th rounds. If you have to reach to get him, that is one thing, but 4th-5th when you are high on the turn is not that bad - you either want him or you don't (in which case as has been posted ad nauseum in how many different threads on this - you either don't take Holmes or as packersfan and others suggest, you cover yourself other ways and don't look back.

He went at 3.3 in a 10 team league :shock: specifically to hose the Priest owner (who was on deck). Dumb move, but there was spite involved. The Priest owner took Harrison in the 2nd and the guy who took LJ said "You'll be trading me Harrison for him in a month, guaranteed." :crazy:

I'm about to take him at 4.7 in an e-mail draft in a keep-four league (i.e. the equivalent of an eighth-round pick).The Priest owner had dealt some picks to try to make a run last year so he was behind the pack a bit and didn't feel like he could burn an early pick on him. I'm taking him despite needing another WR because I just don't see a standout left on the board.I doubt I'll deal him to the Priest owner... I'm not picking him to be a hostage, more like a lottery ticket.

I don't understand why this is such an issue. If someone wants to reach for LJ and you drafted Holmes, let them reach. That doesn't change anything for you, and you can get a much better player than you should if round 4 because of it. Drafters who reach for someone elses handcuff think they're getting one over on you, but the pick only pays off if your guy is not going to play again.I just don't understand the handcuff and handcuff thief menality. Draft according to value, and you'll be fine.

2.10 C Johnson

3.3 Owens

This would be the dream start to my draft. If I go with Holmes at 1.03, and if LJ goes before 5.3 (I know for a fact in our league he'd go before my next pick at 6.10, owners take glee at screwing potential handcuffs), then I'm prepared to go another direction. With this start, if you hit on your RB's (some big opps with guys like Anderson/Cadillac, etc out there who could turn into serious RB1's), then get a solid QB with upside (K. Collins) this team is unbeatable if Priest stays healthy. Big if, but no matter what you will be have fun lighting up the scoreboard week after week.

2.10 C Johnson

3.3 Owens

LOL @ you with "Let the guy struggle at WR all year" because you think he pissed away his 4.3 pick when you may have just as effectively pissed away your 3.3 pick.
pissed away a 3.3 pick with Owens? Are you high?

After 2 keepers (1 off., 1 def.) I nabbed him in the 8th round (non-handcuff) as my 5th RB. Looking to handcuff him with Holmes in another draft, I missed out on getting him in same round by a few picks. Judging from posts above, that's kind of late.

I don't understand why this is such an issue. If someone wants to reach for LJ and you drafted Holmes, let them reach. That doesn't change anything for you, and you can get a much better player than you should if round 4 because of it. Drafters who reach for someone elses handcuff think they're getting one over on you, but the pick only pays off if your guy is not going to play again.

I just don't understand the handcuff and handcuff thief menality. Draft according to value, and you'll be fine.
:goodposting: I don't understand why people get frantic at the need to have someone's handcuff. Sure it's nice to have in case injury strikes and we obviously have seen the results of the LJ handcuff. But in most cases I'd rather have a starter than a backup so if the choice is between ... say ... Warrick Dunn and Larry Johnson. I'm taking Dunn every time. Where it gets dicier is deciding between Johnson and other backups such as Duckett, Faulk or (maybe) Ricky Williams -- guys who may not be starting but are expected to see plenty of action each week.

But if you miss out on the LJ handcuff I hardly see that as a reason to panic. Last season, for example, guys like Julius Jones and Lee Suggs emerged late in the season and were very good (Jones was obviously huge). Both guys could have been on many (and possibly most) league's WW's prior to the games when they stepped in and began to produce. Rudi Johnson falls into the same category from the season before; ditto for Dom Davis.

If you draft Holmes and don't get LJ that's hardly a reason to worry. There are ways to get the production you'll need should Holmes get hurt again.

you know, this whole handcuff thing/taking LJ early only pays off if priest misses an extended period of time. yeah, it's nice insurance, but if you drafted holmes @ 1.03 and have a solid team, don't regret the fact that you don't have a backup if he goes down due to injury. the same can be said for LT, SA, deuce, etc. i know i know, that priest now has an injury history but he had one going into the 2003 season where many FF teams passed on him and watched him score 27 TDs.draft priest; grab LJ if he meets your value and move on. don't trade the farm for LJ unless it will give you a good night's sleep knowing that he's on your roster waiting for an injury...

LJ kept in a 4 person Keeper league that I am in. It's a pretty serious league too. The guy dropped Horn just to keep him.

I actually think it's a clever move. This guy is more than a Joe Horn away from being competitive. With LJ and his #1 overall pick, he might be on the road to recovery.
In a keeper, I'd do the same. :thumbup:

The whole must handcuff Priest & LJ thing is a bit overblown, IMO. If you don't think Holmes by himself is worth wherever you want to draft him, don't pick him there. Your draft isn't a bust if you take Holmes & don't get LJ. Nor are you necessarily screwing the Holmes owner by drafting LJ in the 4th round.

But anyway, this strategy is not exclusive to the FBGs MB. I have a friend that says the Holmes/LJ 'cuff is all over the boards he frequents (none of which are FBGs).

1.10 Portis

2.3 J Jones

3.10 Burleson

4.3 LJ?!

Taking a backup RB before taking his starting QB, two starting WRs and he won't pick again for 18 picks.....smooth....
He obviously thinks LJ will get some playing time(probably toward the end of the year) and thinks the person drafting Priest @ 1.03 is a dolt.BTW How many QB's do you see projected @4.03 or earlier? I only have three, and all three may have been gone. Two were gone by 4.03 for sure. The qb comment is wayyyyy off base.

I also have a differing opinion on the WR comment, but I may be in the minority on that. Seems to me there are plenty of good WR's late.

Sorry, but so far I'd take his team over yours, and I'm a big Chad Johnson fan.

you know, this whole handcuff thing/taking LJ early only pays off if priest misses an extended period of time. yeah, it's nice insurance, but if you drafted holmes @ 1.03 and have a solid team, don't regret the fact that you don't have a backup if he goes down due to injury. the same can be said for LT, SA, deuce, etc. i know i know, that priest now has an injury history but he had one going into the 2003 season where many FF teams passed on him and watched him score 27 TDs.

draft priest; grab LJ if he meets your value and move on. don't trade the farm for LJ unless it will give you a good night's sleep knowing that he's on your roster waiting for an injury...
:thumbup:

1.10 Portis

2.3 J Jones

3.10 Burleson

4.3 LJ?!

He obviously thinks LJ will get some playing time(probably toward the end of the year) and thinks the person drafting Priest @ 1.03 is a dolt.BTW How many QB's do you see projected @4.03 or earlier? I only have three, and all three may have been gone. Two were gone by 4.03 for sure. The qb comment is wayyyyy off base.

I also have a differing opinion on the WR comment, but I may be in the minority on that. Seems to me there are plenty of good WR's late.
Yes the three QBs were gone. I am a fan of waiting on QBs myself, I only mentioned it as an important need that will now have to wait. You make it seem like that was the key to my post! I didn't mention he also needs a K and a D, maybe I should have :rolleyes: I'm sure there are lots of WRs available late...there are every year. Oh yeah, there are lots of RBs available late who will light it up too. The point is that when you are starting 3 WRs and are going to wait until late to pick them you need to hit on a couple. And that doesn't include your bye weeks and injuries.

pissed away a 3.3 pick with Owens? Are you high?
Which do you think is more likely: Holmes getting hurt so that Johnson takes over as the KC featured RB or Owens doing/saying something incredibly stupid & ending up suspended?

Personally I will be drafting in the 12 spot in one league. There is a flex spot and If LJ is there at my 5.12-6.1 pick I think I may snag him.Im looking at my 3rd WR or whatever compared to a guy which may win me the league if I take him.My 3rd reciever always ends up being someone off waivers anyways.

1.10 Portis

2.3 J Jones

3.10 Burleson

4.3 LJ?!

Yes the three QBs were gone. I am a fan of waiting on QBs myself, I only mentioned it as an important need that will now have to wait. You make it seem like that was the key to my post! I didn't mention he also needs a K and a D, maybe I should have :rolleyes: I'm sure there are lots of WRs available late...there are every year. Oh yeah, there are lots of RBs available late who will light it up too. The point is that when you are starting 3 WRs and are going to wait until late to pick them you need to hit on a couple. And that doesn't include your bye weeks and injuries.
I agree with you man, drafting a backup rb before you even have all of your starters is as dumb as you can get.

I'm sure there are lots of WRs available late...there are every year. Oh yeah, there are lots of RBs available late who will light it up too. The point is that when you are starting 3 WRs and are going to wait until late to pick them you need to hit on a couple. And that doesn't include your bye weeks and injuries.
OK, here's the challenge.Look at a list of the 24 top performing RB's from last season. What % of them could have been drafted in the fifth round or later last year?

Now do the same for the top 36 WR's.

Is the % of starting quality WR after round #5 higher than the % of starting quality RB's after round 5? I just have to differ with the statement; "Oh yeah, there are lots of RBs available late who will light it up too." There are some, but very few. Certainly very few compared to the # of WR's that will light it up and are drafted in the 5th round or later.

Any Johnson owner who picks him before the 6th round is going to end up just as desperate to trade as the Priest owner. Actually, he'll be MORE desperate because he's got a big hole in his lineup, while the Priest owner was able to spend that 7th-round pick on a likely starter.The smart Priest owner waits.

:goodposting:

Personally I will be drafting in the 12 spot in one league. There is a flex spot and If LJ is there at my 5.12-6.1 pick I think I may snag him.

Im looking at my 3rd WR or whatever compared to a guy which may win me the league if I take him.

My 3rd reciever always ends up being someone off waivers anyways.
:goodposting:

I took LJ in a 12 team re-draft last night at 6.5 and I don't own Priest. And I hadn't drafted a QB yet either. :shrug:

I'm in 2 redraft leagues this year, statring 2RB, 2WR. I had the 1.04 pick in both and landed Holmes on both teams. I managed to get LJ at pick 9.04 and 10.09. IMO Not getting LJ as an insurance policy is not that big a deal. Sure he would be nice to have as any KC RB will score TD's but in the 5th round there is going to be a ton af suitable back ups available.Here's what I ended up with at RB in each of these drafts1) Holmes, K. Jones, Barlow, LJ2) Holmes, Barber, Westbrook, LJ.If Holmes goes down I'm not even sure I will end up starting LJ. I'm a little less optimistic about Barlow but either way I don't see LJ out performing either Westy or KB by all that much.My strategy about Holmes was not to get LJ at all costs. It was to get solid RB depth without compromising my WR depth too much. I told my self if LJ was on the board in the middle to late rounds I would grab him. My advise, let the draft come tro you and don't compromise the depth of you team just to grab an insurance policy. People are way over paying for him and compromising their teams "just in case".Look at who went in the 5th round:1)Jerry Porter (WR OAK) Michael Clayton (WR TB) Marc Bulger (QB STL) Darrell Jackson (WR SEA) Fred Taylor (RB JAC) Jason Witten (TE DAL) Michael Bennett (RB MIN) Tom Brady (QB NE) DST Falcons (DST ATL) Larry Fitzgerald (WR ARI) J.J. Arrington (RB ARI) Nate Burleson (WR MIN) 2)Carson Palmer (QB CIN) Steven Jackson (RB STL) Michael Clayton (WR TB) Tony Gonzalez (TE KC) Nate Burleson (WR MIN) Roy Williams (WR DET) Darrell Jackson (WR SEA) Hines Ward (WR PIT) DST Steelers (DST PIT) Larry Fitzgerald (WR ARI) Laveranues Coles (WR NYJ) Jerry Porter (WR OAK) I know there are some strange picks here but does LJ fit in the same category (value wise) as DJax, Fitzgerald, Porter, Clayton?Have a look at the teams in your league who took LJ early. I can almost guarantee they have compromised some other area of their team to get him.I took him in the 9th and 10th. Here are my 2 teams.1)Brooks, HarringtonHolmes, K.Jones, Barlow, LJC.Johnson, DJax, D.BennettGates, CooleyJanakowskiBangles, Lions (dbc)2) Brooks, harringtonHolmes, Barber, Westbrook, LJHorn, Lelie, MasonGonzalezStoverBucc'sNo real compromises in either league (i know my team is nor bullett proof, but I have solid starters amd decent back ups)Net/Net: Don't over spend on LJ, let other owners compromise their teams by taking him too early.

1.10 Portis

2.3 J Jones

3.10 Burleson

4.3 LJ?!

This guy is going to look like a genius in 2 months and folks who questioned him will feel foolish.

12 team redraft. Picked Priest 1.04, but lost LJ as he was picked at 4.07 by a division rival. But at 4.09 value fell to me and I got Gates. I took Dunn and Barlow in the 5th and 6th for RB depth to go along with Westbrook in the 3rd.

I agree with you man, drafting a backup rb before you even have all of your starters is as dumb as you can get.
Is it customary to draft a BACKUP NFL RB as your fantasy #3 RB in the 4th? Just curious. I have no problem picking 3 RBs in 4 rounds to start a draft, but most drafts I see have guys like Dunn going in this role, not an NFL backup.

Your #3RB is going to be filling in on bye weeks or if your starters get hurt. LJ isn't going to be much use in those situations until Priest gets hurt. I guess you can HOPE one of the weeks that Priest misses will happen when your other starter has a bye...

This guy is going to look like a genius in 2 months and folks who questioned him will feel foolish.
I presume that means you drafted LJ in the early 4th or sooner in your league? Or maybe you are all talk...

I took LJ in a 12 team re-draft last night at 6.5 and I don't own Priest.  And I hadn't drafted a QB yet either.

:shrug:
No reason to draft a QB that early, don't sweat it. :thumbup:

Picked up LJ in the 10th round in a 12 team PPR league that starts:

QB - RB - WR - WR/RB -WR/TE - TE

Grabbed LT2 at 1.01 and then grabbed Chad Johnson and Holt at the turn... :thumbup:

Got SJax later to swap with M. Clayton at the WR/RB Flex.....

LJohnson was sitting there in the 10th so I grabbed him.

If Priest goes down I can likely swap SJax out for some help and be f'n SET....

Users who are viewing this thread