What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Esquire Article - The American Boy... (1 Viewer)

TheDirtyWord

Footballguy
The Esquire American Boy Article...

So - article in the February edition.  February is Black History Month.  Seems like this has quite a few folk up in arms.  

This comes on the heels of a colleague showing me a t-shirt ‘White, Male, Straight, Republican - How else can I piss you off today?’.  I chuckled.

For me, I liked it, the article.  I’m a father of a 15 year old boy so I was able to gain some insight as to what he might be feeling as well.  At the same time, the (whatever) uproar I’ve read about the blowback Esquire is receiving for this cover story seemed to correlate with the idiom presented above.

But is the timing of the article so egregious as to cause any type of controversy.  To some, it even feels like the subject matter was off-limits and I’m kind of like WTF.

How did we get here?

Last edited by a moderator:
I got my issue in the mail, looked at the cover and thought, how did they think this was a good idea? Figured this must be getting a lot of backlash online, and I was right. Saw that this is the first in a four-part series on growing up white, black, LGBTQ and female. Maybe at least shouldn't have made this first, though probably just not at all.

I got my issue in the mail, looked at the cover and thought, how did they think this was a good idea? Figured this must be getting a lot of backlash online, and I was right. Saw that this is the first in a four-part series on growing up white, black, LGBTQ and female. Maybe at least shouldn't have made this first, though probably just not at all.
Why though?  Why not this, or at all?

I don’t see the issue and actually applaud the effort.  

If this country is ever going to resolve its racial and gender issues, seeing through the eyes of demographics that are not you is a good first step. 

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread