What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The force of nature that is Taylor Swift - New Album coming April 2024 (5 Viewers)

On SNL right now. All too well. Great performance.
Yep, that was a great performance.  That song works better with the whole band, so I am glad see did it that way instead of just her and her guitar. 

Her updated version of Red is so so good.
It is very good, yes, but I don't think the normal album versions will top the originals.  Some of those from the vault tracks are quite nice, though, and are great additions to my Taylor master playlist (which is getting bigger by the day). :cool:  

Poor Jake Gyllenhall is going to have to go into witness protection. 
Haha, it will die down soon for him.  He seems like a good guy, so he just has to ignore the rantings from some online nutty Swifties and it'll be fine.  John Mayer is on deck anyway for when the Speak Now re-recording hits, so he will be off the hook then anyway. :lol:  

Last edited by a moderator:
Haha, it will die down soon for him.  He seems like a good guy, so he just has to ignore the rantings from some online nutty Swifties and it'll be fine.  John Mayer is on deck anyway for when the Speak Now re-recording hits, so he will be off the hook then anyway. :lol:  
Fathers be good to your Swifties, cuz Swifties will...

Didnt she date him like a decade ago?   She is still mad at him?  Wow
Nah.  This is not a new song, it is the original version of a song released in 2012.

The long story is that All Too Well is her most loved song and one she is very proud of (as she should be, as it is fantastic both musically and lyrically), and was over 10 minutes long when she first wrote it, but then asked for help from a collaborator to get it down to a shorter length, which they did for the original Red.  She is promoting the 10-minute version that was released on Friday on the re-recorded Red for the fans and because she knows how popular the song is now (in Rolling Stone's recent 500 greatest songs ever list, it placed in like the top 70, and that is despite never being a single back in the day).  Her doing all of this doesn't mean she is still mad at Gyllenhaal (who she has never actually confirmed any song is actually about), just like releasing a new "from the vault" song allegedly about Joe Jonas on the re-recorded Fearless earlier this year didn't mean she was still mad at him (they are, in fact, friends again).  I think she has been with the same guy for like 5 years now (some actor named Joe something :lol:  ), has touched on their relationship in a few song since in a super positive way, so I doubt she has any bitterness towards any exes any more, although you certainly never know... :P :P

One last note: I think the original decision to make the song more concise was the correct one. The 10-minute version is very good, but the 5 1/2 minute one on the original Red is untoppable. 

Nah.  This is not a new song, it is the original version of a song released in 2012.

The long story is that All Too Well is her most loved song and one she is very proud of (as she should be, as it is fantastic both musically and lyrically), and was over 10 minutes long when she first wrote it, but then asked for help from a collaborator to get it down to a shorter length, which they did for the original Red.  She is promoting the 10-minute version that was released on Friday on the re-recorded Red for the fans and because she knows how popular the song is now (in Rolling Stone's recent 500 greatest songs ever list, it placed in like the top 70, and that is despite never being a single back in the day).  Her doing all of this doesn't mean she is still mad at Gyllenhaal (who she has never actually confirmed any song is actually about), just like releasing a new "from the vault" song allegedly about Joe Jonas on the re-recorded Fearless earlier this year didn't mean she was still mad at him (they are, in fact, friends again).  I think she has been with the same guy for like 5 years now (some actor named Joe something :lol:  ), has touched on their relationship in a few song since in a super positive way, so I doubt she has any bitterness towards any exes any more, although you certainly never know... :P :P

One last note: I think the original decision to make the song more concise was the correct one. The 10-minute version is very good, but the 5 1/2 minute one on the original Red is untoppable. 
thanks didnt know

She is still breathtakingly gorgeous. 

Haha, yep, she is a pretty lady. A pretty lady who can write and sing a song.  Sounds like the complete package. :lol:  
It's so beautiful that you think Lou Reed sucks. This just confirms your taste in music as objectively awful.

eta* For those that don't know, I keed, I keed.

That SNL performance was epic.  Wish they didn't have the video wall behind it. What was the thinking there?

That was from the short film she released on Friday. It goes with the song. Didn’t bother me. :shrug:  

I just found it distracting.  Wearing a black dress on a dark stage with a video board made it at times difficult to even focus the cameras, this was especially true once she lost the guitar.  The depth was really shallow at that point.  You could see them struggling to cut to deep shots from the side perhaps to give a little help.  The audio quality was fine, and I suppose that is the main thing.  

I didn't know what the hell the video even was.

Didnt she date him like a decade ago?   She is still mad at him?  Wow
No idea if Swift is still mad.  But the ten minute version of the song and the short film combine to paint a more complete picture of the boyfriend that is the "villain" of the song (who is widely acknowledged to be Gyllenhall).  The 2012 released version of All Too Well's moments of concrete imagery mostly focus upon the good moments of the relationship (a trip upstate, an impromptu moment of intimacy late at night in the kitchen).

This extended version has a lot more of the dysfunction in the relationship, with the boyfriend essentially gaslighting Taylor and making her seem hysterical on account of her relative youth and inexperience. He comes across in a way that I think a lot of women who dated older guys (professors or just established adults) when they were in college seem to recognize.

I'm in agreement that I don't think this longer version is "better" than the single I'm familiar with.  I think the song probably is better being a bit less specific.  But Taylor does paint a pretty detailed and devastating portrait of a certain type of guy who seems to prefer relationships with these types of fundamental power imbalances.  

The other piece of the song being re-released, in case anyone isn’t aware, is that Swift does not own/control the Masters to a bunch of her original albums. Something that has greatly upset her. She does have the rights to the songs though, so she has been re-recording those albums and releasing them as “Taylor’s Version” for each one. So of course she’s adding some things to each of them as well to make them even more attractive to fans over the other versions that she doesn’t have control over.

She is very savvy on the business end of the things.

The other piece of the song being re-released, in case anyone isn’t aware, is that Swift does not own/control the Masters to a bunch of her original albums. Something that has greatly upset her. She does have the rights to the songs though, so she has been re-recording those albums and releasing them as “Taylor’s Version” for each one. So of course she’s adding some things to each of them as well to make them even more attractive to fans over the other versions that she doesn’t have control over.

For sure. And even though she doesn’t own the masters for her first six albums, because she writes all of her own songs, she owns the publishing. That is key because if someone wants to use a song in a film or a TV show or a commercial or a trailer, you must get permission from the owners of both the masters and the publishing. She can veto any use of those now so that the owners of the masters make less money off of their purchase. And with re-recording them all,  where she will own both those masters and the publishing, she can then license those out. A total boss move. 

Didn't she touch on getting over the bitterness in her song "Invisible String"?  Something about buying their babies presents?  

And I mean....if you're a dude who dated Swift in the past and she wrote a song about your relationship, good or bad, that's impressive.  Take a bow, I say.  I've got some exes that have some things to say about me but wouldn't go through the trouble of creating a song to get those words out. :bag:

Didn't she touch on getting over the bitterness in her song "Invisible String"?  Something about buying their babies presents?  

And I mean....if you're a dude who dated Swift in the past and she wrote a song about your relationship, good or bad, that's impressive.  Take a bow, I say.  I've got some exes that have some things to say about me but wouldn't go through the trouble of creating a song to get those words out. :bag:
Gyllenhall seems like a pretty cool, relaxed guy, so he’s probably having a chuckle at all of this, unlike John Mayer, who’s probably getting his Kleenex ready for when we get the new Speak Now, which has Dear John, which he cried about to Rolling Stone at the time (even though she never said it was about him).

As for Invisible String, I believe that last verse was a reference to Joe Jonas since she had sent a baby gift to him and his wife Sophie Turner, who’s an unapologetic Swiftie, lol. Seems like Taylor and him are friends now.  

Gyllenhall seems like a pretty cool, relaxed guy, so he’s probably having a chuckle at all of this, unlike John Mayer, who’s probably getting his Kleenex ready for when we get the new Speak Now, which has Dear John, which he cried about to Rolling Stone at the time (even though she never said it was about him).

As for Invisible String, I believe that last verse was a reference to Joe Jonas since she had sent a baby gift to him and his wife Sophie Turner, who’s an unapologetic Swiftie, lol. Seems like Taylor and him are friends now.  

John Mayer?  Oh, you mean the Derek Jeter of music?

Quite the list there, John.  Wish I could play guitar.

I'm in agreement that I don't think this longer version is "better" than the single I'm familiar with.  I think the song probably is better being a bit less specific.  But Taylor does paint a pretty detailed and devastating portrait of a certain type of guy who seems to prefer relationships with these types of fundamental power imbalances.  

After listening to the 10 minute version again (OK, a few times), I think my only real complaint with this longer version is that she kills her ending.  Him keeping the scarf is now firmly in the middle of the song when it's really got to be the end.  

I'm shocked record companies didn't have some sort of horrible law that would prevent this end around.  Wouldn't the Beatles have tried to do this even pre Yoko? 

No idea if Swift is still mad.  But the ten minute version of the song and the short film combine to paint a more complete picture of the boyfriend that is the "villain" of the song (who is widely acknowledged to be Gyllenhall).  The 2012 released version of All Too Well's moments of concrete imagery mostly focus upon the good moments of the relationship (a trip upstate, an impromptu moment of intimacy late at night in the kitchen).

This extended version has a lot more of the dysfunction in the relationship, with the boyfriend essentially gaslighting Taylor and making her seem hysterical on account of her relative youth and inexperience. He comes across in a way that I think a lot of women who dated older guys (professors or just established adults) when they were in college seem to recognize.

I obviously have huge ginormous gaps in my pop culture knowledge as I don’t recall ever hearing this song. I just listened to the ten minute version. It really is an amazing song and an incredible piece of songwriting. But dang, the lyrics are so specific that I almost feel like a voyeur listening to the tune. Like I’ve snooped in her room and found her diary. 

I obviously have huge ginormous gaps in my pop culture knowledge as I don’t recall ever hearing this song. I just listened to the ten minute version. It really is an amazing song and an incredible piece of songwriting. But dang, the lyrics are so specific that I almost feel like a voyeur listening to the tune. Like I’ve snooped in her room and found her diary. 
Will definitely make me think twice the next time I'm about to date a leggy, precocious 20 year-old songwriter.

Ramsay Hunt Experience said:
Not sure how it’s an end around for the song’s copyright holder to record the song. 
I dunno. I just figured the industry had some angle here or I would have heard this happening a lot before.  

:lmao:

Dionne Warwick@dionnewarwick · 3h

If that young man has Taylor’s scarf he should return it.

:lol:   :lol:  

Check out the original from 2012 (below). That will always remain for many, myself included, THE definitive version.  It is more concise and even rocks a bit at times.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DMGOiA9Yj0

Check out the original from 2012 (below). That will always remain for many, myself included, THE definitive version.  It is more concise and even rocks a bit at times.  

Fantastic song. I would give just about anything to be able to write music like that. 

That being said, the verse about him charming her dad in the extended version is super impactful. I sorta miss it in the original track. 

Fantastic song. I would give just about anything to be able to write music like that. 

That being said, the verse about him charming her dad in the extended version is super impactful. I sorta miss it in the original track. 
 I get this. It probably comes down to what version you heard first.  I have become a fan in the last year and am so used to the 5 1/2 minute version that hearing additional lyrics added is taking a bit of an adjustment.  I do like that she changed the musical arrangement.  When I heard about a 10 minute version coming, I figured it would be the same song for the most part but with an extra verse or two, but she changed the musical arrangement in several ways.  Pretty brilliant. 

Yep.  Big FU to Scooter

That is so freaking good

”so casually cruel, in the name of being honest”

She is brilliant.  As a writer  As a business woman. As an entertainer to her fans.  Her and Stapleton are miles above anyone else  

That is so freaking good

”so casually cruel, in the name of being honest”

She is brilliant.  As a writer  As a business woman. As an entertainer to her fans.  Her and Stapleton are miles above anyone else  

That cannot be overstated.  The way she talks about, treats and interacts with fans is unlike anything I have seen from a music star of this magnitude. And I think it is genuine. Whatever her faults are about all of the songs about exes and blah, blah, blah, she seems like a good-hearted person with a good head on her shoulders and a kind heart.  Take the song Ronan, originally just a single and re-recorded as a bonus track for TV of Red: 

Long story short: Taylor is know for following and interacting with fans on social media, and it was about a decade ago when she stumbled across a fan who had blogged about her son dying of cancer just before the age of four.  Taylor then wrote a song about the son, whose name was Ronan, and then reached out to the mom for permission to release it.  The mom said yes, and Taylor released it, while giving the mom a co-writing credit since it was her blog that inspired the writing of the song, and giving all of her proceeds to cancer charities.  Then, Taylor decided she wanted to add it to TV of Red and reached out to the mom again earlier this year with the below: 

"I've recently completed the re-recording of my 4th album, Red. It's really exceeded my expectations in so many ways, and one of those ways is that I thought it would be appropriate to add "Ronan" to this album. Red was an album of heartbreak and healing, of rage and rawness, of tragedy and trauma, and of the loss of an imagined future alongside someone. I wrote "Ronan" while I was making Red and discovered your story as you so honestly and devastatingly told it. My genuine hope is that you'll agree with me that this song should be included on this album. As my co-writer and the rightful owner of this story in its entirety, your opinion and approval of this idea really matters to me, and I'll honor your wishes here."

That is pure class. 

Note: the song is heavy, and the new lyric video (below) is even heavier. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdiBc40gW7s

That cannot be overstated.  The way she talks about, treats and interacts with fans is unlike anything I have seen from a music star of this magnitude. And I think it is genuine. Whatever her faults are about all of the songs about exes and blah, blah, blah, she seems like a good-hearted person with a good head on her shoulders and a kind heart.  Take the song Ronan, originally just a single and re-recorded as a bonus track for TV of Red: 

Long story short: Taylor is know for following and interacting with fans on social media, and it was about a decade ago when she stumbled across a fan who had blogged about her son dying of cancer just before the age of four.  Taylor then wrote a song about the son, whose name was Ronan, and then reached out to the mom for permission to release it.  The mom said yes, and Taylor released it, while giving the mom a co-writing credit since it was her blog that inspired the writing of the song, and giving all of her proceeds to cancer charities.  Then, Taylor decided she wanted to add it to TV of Red and reached out to the mom again earlier this year with the below: 

"I've recently completed the re-recording of my 4th album, Red. It's really exceeded my expectations in so many ways, and one of those ways is that I thought it would be appropriate to add "Ronan" to this album. Red was an album of heartbreak and healing, of rage and rawness, of tragedy and trauma, and of the loss of an imagined future alongside someone. I wrote "Ronan" while I was making Red and discovered your story as you so honestly and devastatingly told it. My genuine hope is that you'll agree with me that this song should be included on this album. As my co-writer and the rightful owner of this story in its entirety, your opinion and approval of this idea really matters to me, and I'll honor your wishes here."

That is pure class. 

I’m ####### destroyed. What a heartbreaking tribute. 

Ramsay Hunt Experience said:
Not sure how it’s an end around for the song’s copyright holder to record the song. 

It's not and ironically she's making them even more money.  Nathan Hubbard went into this one a podcast.  For the right's holders their streaming run rate went from something like 4 million streams per record per week to something like 5 to 5.5 million now (Her "older" new stuff is in the 8-9 million stream range).  More than anything, she's just expanded her own universe of fans.

Apparently there's a lot of sticky play lists that people have on Spotify, etc. where fans don't take the time to change to the new songs. 

@culdeusApparently Universal has caught on and have changed their contracts ( WSJ story)

Prior to Universal’s change, the industry’s standard rerecording restriction said an artist can’t rerecord until five years after the delivery of their last recording under the agreement, or two years from the end of the recording contract’s term, whichever is later. Universal’s new proposals increase those periods to seven and five years, respectively, and tack on another “seven year post period” to the end of the rerecording restriction during which the artist is barred from rerecording more than two songs.

Lawyers and executives say that prevents an artist from creating competitive recordings during a typical recording’s biggest monetization period, usually within 10 years of its initial release.

I’m ####### destroyed. What a heartbreaking tribute. 
For sure. It's a tough listen. 

It's not and ironically she's making them even more money.  Nathan Hubbard went into this one a podcast.  For the right's holders their streaming run rate went from something like 4 million streams per record per week to something like 5 to 5.5 million now (Her "older" new stuff is in the 8-9 million stream range).  More than anything, she's just expanded her own universe of fans.

Apparently there's a lot of sticky play lists that people have on Spotify, etc. where fans don't take the time to change to the new songs. 

@culdeusApparently Universal has caught on and have changed their contracts ( WSJ story)
Yep, record companies will screw over the younger artists for sure who are just happy to get any record deal. Can't say that surprises me. 

Not sure how big iHeartRadio is, but today they vowed to only played songs from the Taylor's Versions as far as the first six albums go (the last three are all hers, so no issues there) on their stations, so that's a good start. 

Listening to this song, the arrangement (particularly the bass line) seemed super familiar.  It took me a bit to put my finger on it, but it’s the same chord progression as U2’s With or Without You. Now when I play the Swift song (yes I’ve listened to it a few times), I can’t resist singing the U2 lyrics along with the tune as a mash up sort of thing. 

I hadn't heard Ronan before this morning.  But reading this thread, knowing your personal experience, and listening to that song made me cry.  Very powerful and beautiful song.
Thanks for sharing that. Yes, it is very powerful. I’ve tried to write a song about Chance but have never been able to. I feel like Ronan perfectly captures the sentiment. After hearing this song, I found an 8 year old interview with Ronan’s parents on Katie Couric. The sentiments they express in that interview parallel our story so so much. If you have any interest, check out their interview and ours.  So many similarities (other than Taylor Swift of course).

Ronan’s parents

Chance’s Parents

I hadn't heard Ronan before this morning.  But reading this thread, knowing your personal experience, and listening to that song made me cry.  Very powerful and beautiful song.
Christian artist Steven Curtis Chapman wrote this song about his then 4 year old daughter Maria in 2007. A year later she was tragically killed when she ran out to meet her brother who never even saw her as he turned his SUV into the driveway. Listening to that song after the fact knowing the outcome absolutely guts me.

It’s a beautiful song of love and melancholy at watching a daughter grow up that already choked me up as a dad. Now I can’t listen to it without breaking down.

Thanks for sharing that. Yes, it is very powerful. I’ve tried to write a song about Chance but have never been able to. I feel like Ronan perfectly captures the sentiment. After hearing this song, I found an 8 year old interview with Ronan’s parents on Katie Couric. The sentiments they express in that interview parallel our story so so much. If you have any interest, check out their interview and ours.  So many similarities (other than Taylor Swift of course).

Ronan’s parents

Chance’s Parents

Damn.  Just, damn.

Don McLean has been reading the Free For All, I suppose...;) 

https://people.com/music/don-mclean-calls-taylor-swift-a-force-of-nature-and-isnt-ruling-out-a-cover/

Don McLean has nothing but praise for Taylor Swift — even after she broke his record for longest No. 1 hit.

McLean, 76, tells PEOPLE in this week's issue that he considers the pop star a "major rock and roll force of nature," and is impressed by her career, which recently saw her 10-minute version of "All Too Well" overtake McLean's "American Pie" as the longest-in-length chart-topper.

"Taylor takes the whole new form of entertainment to the peak by making these phenomenal videos and records and doing these massive tours that are successful, and so on and so forth," he says. "It's really good for young people who want to get into this business. You can make it as a singer with a guitar if you figure out what Ed [Sheeran] did. And you can make it as a major rock and roll force of nature, which is what I call Taylor Swift, if you want to do that."

McLean previously revealed on Instagram that "class act" Swift, 32, sent him a bouquet of flowers and a special note, in which she wrote that she "will never forget that I'm standing on the shoulders of giants."

In a statement, the crooner said that while "nobody ever wants to lose that No. 1 spot.. if I had to lose it to somebody, I sure am glad it was another great singer/songwriter such as Taylor."

As for whether the world will ever see the two collaborate, McLean says never say never.

"Anything is possible, if it's done the right way," he says. "I'm always interested in doing anything."

That is pure class. 

Damn, I couldn't finish that video. 😭

prosopis said:
Damn, I couldn't finish that video. 😰
It's tough to get through.  I noticed that of the 30 songs on the re-release of Red, Ronan was one of only two that did not chart in the Billboard Hot 100, and it's not because fans don't love the song, but because it's too emotionally exhausting to listen to on a regular basis, so it doesn't rack up the streaming numbers that her other songs do. 

Users who are viewing this thread