What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The future of fantasy QB's (1 Viewer)

ShaHBucks

Footballguy
Right now we are inflated with good Fantasy QB's after the last two drafts. This won't be the case once Peyton-Brady-Brees-Romo-Rivers-Eli ect.. decline(some have already) or retire on us. My question is how are you planning for this in redraft leagues next year? How aggressive are you about getting a young QB on your Dynasty teams? Or are you planning stashing a 2013 QB on your team to bail you out?

I traded rg3 earlier this year for foster, Crabtree and Steve smith. Then turned over midway this year and got cam for foster. Had to do it. If the top 10 qbs in your league are top 10 overall or close to it, jump on a young gun

I think it's more of the game evolving around the passing game more than it just being about a special group of QBs in the 2000's era. QBs are getting better, they always have been, and are getting depended on more by offensive schemes. This isn't going to change, especially when the NFL puts rules in place to promote this evolution (you can barely touch WRs and QBs now). This year may look like a weak draft class with QBs on paper, but Luck, RG3, Kaep, and Wilson should be a clue to you that there will continue be top-flight QBs produced, some obvious, some not so obvious until a year or so later. I don't anticipate the ratio of top fantasy QBs to become watered down to any significant degree anytime soon.

Last edited by a moderator:
Shouldn't the defensive philosophies of colleges change too? You'd think that with the increase in dual threat college QBs that colleges would produce defensive ends, LBs and corners that can counter the offensive versatility. These players who play against the new breed QBs should come into the NFL with the talent and coaching to play a different defensive scheme.

Upside down strategies will likely be centered around waiting for a QB, then getting Gronk/Graham and a workhorse RB in the first two round in a redraft. With so many high end QB's right now they just about cancel each other out from a value standpoint. I'm almost sure that I won't spend my 1st round pick on a QB this year.From a dynasty perspective Luck/RG3/Wilson will be more valuable in 2-3 years than they appear right now once the older QB's are weeded out due to age or declining skills. The main reason for this is the lack of talent in the 2013 QB class, in 2014-2015 they will theoretically be the "sleepers" and "breakout candidates." Maybe a wait and see approach could work but I don't see that being an effective strategy. Strategically I'm thinking about making a few expensive plays for a elite young QB before the inevitably decline of Brady- Brees- Peyton- Eli- Vick- Romo- Rivers ect... I have no clue what will come out of later drafts. With arguable the greatest QB class to date in 2012 why not sure up tier-1 QB production for the next decade in exchange for say a RB that won't be worth much in 3 years?

Last edited by a moderator:
'mr roboto said:
Shouldn't the defensive philosophies of colleges change too? You'd think that with the increase in dual threat college QBs that colleges would produce defensive ends, LBs and corners that can counter the offensive versatility. These players who play against the new breed QBs should come into the NFL with the talent and coaching to play a different defensive scheme.
I think you are definitely right. Kind of like how Browner/Sherman are counters to the taller/physical WR's that play outside in the league. This is probably the biggest question to be answered by D-coor this offseason, especially in the NFC.

Users who are viewing this thread