What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Great 2022 NFL Quarterback Shuffle - Rodgers, Wilson, Watson & Garoppolo - where will they play this year? (1 Viewer)

Which NFL team will Jimmy Garoppolo play for in 2022?

• San Francisco 49ers

Votes: 14 10.5%
  • Denver Broncos

Votes: 11 8.3%
  • New Orleans Saints

Votes: 12 9.0%
  • Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Votes: 20 15.0%
  • Pittsburgh Steelers

Votes: 33 24.8%
  • Washington Football Team

Votes: 20 15.0%
  • Carolina Panthers

Votes: 11 8.3%
  • Houston Texans

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • Miami Dolphins

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • NY Giants

• Las Vegas Raiders

• Other

Votes: 6 4.5%

• Total voters
Vita Bea restructured.

TB and the Saints gearing up?
MoP has heard that this Cap is a little shaky and teams are supposed to spend within about 10% of the cap minimum. No matter how cheap an owner wants to be they must pay a certain amount in team salary the way I understand it. 

And then there is a 3 year band where they have to be above or below by a certain number.

Cap is $200M for arguments sake. Team spends $185M Year 1, $202M Year 2, $205M Year 3 and during that 3 year period they spent less than $600M...maybe I'm way off in this but I thought they had some wiggle in there over a season or two because they never hit it exactly on the number they are allowed. 

I found this on B/R

Cap Constraints

For the 2013 season, the cap for each team is set at $123 million.  This means that no team can spend more than that amount of money against the cap (although we will talk later about what counts against the cap and what doesn’t).  Teams must be in compliance with the cap by no later than the first day of the league year.

There is also a minimum salary under the new CBA.  The salary floor for each team is 89 percent of the cap.  For 2013, this means that each team must be over $109.47 million.

Along with a team minimum salary, the league itself must spend 95 percent of the cap in 2013.  This means that all teams combined must average 95 percent of the cap or higher.  If the league fails to meet this mark, they must pay the remaining amount needed directly to players.

🤷‍♂️

At this point Jameis is the best available qb no? Disregarding civil suit guy who is obviously way more talented but super questionable. 

At this point Jameis is the best available qb no? Disregarding civil suit guy who is obviously way more talented but super questionable. 
Watson is no longer questionable with the potential for criminal charges eliminated. League suspension could still happen but that isn't as big a concern with the criminal charges eliminated.

I think it's very close between Jameis, Mariota and Trubisky. They all have the pedigree and shown flashes of legit upside, as well as big downside. With Jameis coming off an ACL I could easily see him as #3 among the group.

Last edited by a moderator:
Watson is no longer questionable with the potential for criminal charges eliminated. League suspension could still happen but that isn't as big a concern with the criminal charges eliminated.

I think it's very close between Jameis, Mariota and Trubisky. They all have the pedigree and shown flashes of legit upside, as well as big downside. With Jameis coming off an ACL I could easily see him as #3 among the group.
Maybe so but I was much higher on Jameis before injury than those guys

Maybe so but I was much higher on Jameis before injury than those guys
Okay, but why? None of his career numbers suggests he is better than Mariota or Trubisky. Slightly higher TD% but worse completion %, INT % & win %.

Fair question. LASIK probably 
Yup. If I was a GM in need of a QB, I'm honestly not sure which one I would choose.

ATM I lean Mariota mostly because I think two years as an understudy of Gruden & Carr, IMO, is an advantage. Plus he has the best mobility of the three.

But, really it's all about which former top 2 overall, under 28 year old QB you prefer.

ESPN's Dan Graziano reports that the Browns are "doing due diligence" on potentially available veteran quarterbacks.

"I heard lots of rumblings in the latter part of this week about Cleveland making a trade for a quarterback and possibly shipping out Mayfield," Graziano writes. The Browns have been regarded as a "wild card" entry to the Deshaun Watson sweepstakes, and while they have committed to Baker Mayfield publicly, a "big fish" could reportedly change that. This article cautions that Mayfield is still the favorite to start for the Browns in 2022, but his hold on the job appears to be tenuous. 

RELATED: 

Deshaun Watson

SOURCE: ESPN

Mar 13, 2022, 1:12 PM ET

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports the Panthers and Saints have made trade offers for Texans QB Deshaun Watson.

Both teams are expected to meet with Watson, who wants to talk with interested teams before making a decision. Watson needs to waive his no-trade clause in order for the Texans to move him. New Orleans is hard to take seriously as a landing spot given their cap situation, but the Panthers have been connected to Watson for over a year. The Seahawks and Bucs are also still in the mix. 

RELATED: 

Carolina Panthers

, New Orleans Saints

SOURCE: NFL Network

Mar 13, 2022, 12:33 PM ET

@TomPelissero: The #Vikings are signing Pro Bowl QB Kirk Cousins to a one-year, $35 million fully guaranteed extension that puts him under contract through 2023, per sources. 

Cousins gets a raise to $40 million in 2022, $55 million payable by next March and a no-trade clause.

My $.02, by team...

GB -- Will make every effort to at least LOOK like they're trying to retain Rodgers.  IMO, they'd be more than happy to end the drama and ship him elsewhere.  Best guess is we see part II of the Jordan Love experiment.

PIT -- Not likely to settle for a journeyman type.  They already have those.  Will want to start fresh with a potential superstar.  Says here they draft Willis but don't start him day 1.

SEA -- Unless Russ demands out ( & ends up East Coast), he's the guy.  If he's gone, they revert to run offense & bring in Mariotta or Jimmy G.

IND -- Most likely to give Wentz another try.  

TB -- I see them staying in house and adding a lottery ticket.  This might be the place Trubisky lands.x

CAR -- Darnold looked good for a while, so I bet they stay the course initially, but I bet they spend a pick on a QB to hedge their bets.

WAS -- It looks like they intend to put a superstar QB in charge.  I don't think Rodgers wants to go there and I don't see anyone else moving.  I'm betting it's Heinicke again, but it might just be Watson.

DEN -- I really think it'll be Rodgers.  If not, Lock, I guess.  Or, Teddy B.  Maybe a draft pick.  Eggs/basket...

NO -- Why isn't it Jameis?

ESPN's Dan Graziano talked to several NFL executives and writes that "the majority of the people to whom I spoke for this story believe both [Baker Mayfield and Jimmy Garoppolo] will likely end up being released."

He also canvassed player agents and coaches for this story, noting that the Garoppolo situation is less messy so there's more of a chance that something gets done. Ultimately, barring a big quarterback injury in training camp that changes things from where we are today, it's not hard to believe this conclusion is coming. Fowler also notes that people most often connect Garoppolo to the Panthers and Mayfield to the Seahawks. 

RELATED: 

Baker Mayfield

, Carolina Panthers

, Seattle Seahawks

SOURCE: ESPN

Jun 10, 2022, 1:48 PM ET

With it looking more and more like Watson isn't playing anytime soon, and possibly this season. Would a 1-1 trade of Mayfield/Jimmy G make sense?

Browns throw in a little money, to make it worth the 49ers while, and get a better starter than Brisset, and the 49ers get a high-end insurance policy behind Lance for cheaper than what their current one costs. Highly unlikely obviously, but feels like it makes sense from both sides. 

Also, just my opinion, but if I'm Carolina, I'm out on both these guys, and looking to Matt Corral to start, unless he completely faceplants in camp. Seattle, I'm all over either(preferably Mayfield) anything to avoid Geno/Lock. Hell, I'd even prefer Cam if I were Seattle. 

Users who are viewing this thread