What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The greatest Rick Roll ever, I can't stop smiling (1 Viewer)

NewlyRetired

Footballguy
Quick back story for what Dave Grohl is saying in the beginning.

After Astley got famous for his hit in the 80's he had an emotional and physical break down.  It led him to having ever increasing boughts of stage fright of which he would some times freeze or just forget his lyrics entirely.  It eventually led him to leave the business.

When the meme started many years later, he made a few small appearances here and there until Dave Grohl did this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdkCEioCp24

Last edited by a moderator:
Very cool of Grohl and Rick still nails the vocals.  He seems to be having a moment.  Last month, he was all over the news in the UK for doing Smiths cover shows with the band Blossoms.  Johnny Marr was miffed (a rare misstep).  Morrissey said he loved it, but that's probably has much to do with contradicting Marr as it does him actually believing it.  Lots of videos from those shows on Youtube and I feel pretty certain I would rather see Astley singing Smiths songs than Morrissey at this point.

I read some comments that indicated that this was all improvised almost on the spot.  Grohl saw Astley hanging out back stage and convinced him to come on and sing, with not even a single rehearsal.

I don't know if that is true but that makes it even more amazing to pull off.

I read some comments that indicated that this was all improvised almost on the spot.  Grohl saw Astley hanging out back stage and convinced him to come on and sing, with not even a single rehearsal.

I don't know if that is true but that makes it even more amazing to pull off.
That’s one of the things that makes rock amazing. 

• Smile
Reactions: SWC
What is the very last thing Astley says as he walks off stage, just after he says "dreams do come true" twice?

Sounds like "where not in Kansas anymore" but I am not sure.

Last edited by a moderator:
It is subtle but one of the best moments in the video is right at 3:15.  You can almost see him saying "#### you stage fright"

Users who are viewing this thread