What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Haunting of Hill House: On Netflix (1 Viewer)

Capella

CAPELLODINHO
Holy smokes this show is nuts. One of the best jump scares scenes I’ve ever seen later in the season. 

Who else is watching this? We are finishing it up tomorrow. 

Talked about it in two other threads. It's really good, with an episode of flat out great. Definitely worth seeing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Talked about it in two other threads. It's really good, with an episode of flat out great. Definitely worth seeing.
I did a search :shrug:  All I saw was that awful Netflix thread where people just post their IMDb reviews and there is little actual conversation. 

Well, yeah. I remember a little discussion about the show, but not much. The Netflix thread sometimes gets going with discussion, but usually need critical mass of posters having seen the thing (which I was trying to drum up), otherwise yeah- review and done.

A couple people have commented that it's slow...at least the first episode. 

I don't mind slow, so I didn't really notice. But I do remember the first episode not completely selling me, even though it was enough to keep going. And I'm glad I did. The middle of the season evolves into really fantastic tv all the way around.

You haven't finished it yet, have you?

Well, yeah. I remember a little discussion about the show, but not much. The Netflix thread sometimes gets going with discussion, but usually need critical mass of posters having seen the thing (which I was trying to drum up), otherwise yeah- review and done.

A couple people have commented that it's slow...at least the first episode. 

I don't mind slow, so I didn't really notice. But I do remember the first episode not completely selling me, even though it was enough to keep going. And I'm glad I did. The middle of the season evolves into really fantastic tv all the way around.

You haven't finished it yet, have you?
Two left. Going to finish tonight. I actually went back and re-watched the first episode (because it was slow) and there was some good stuff in there that ties back in later down the line that you wouldn’t really know to catch right off the bat. 

I thought episode 6 at the funeral parlor was truly excellent tv and then ep 8 was about as creepy/scary of an hour as I’ve ever seen. My wife literally launched herself under the comforter during one scare scene. :lmao:   I had to pause it and calm her down. She woke up this morning and said she had awful nightmares. Guess we are watching tonight with the lights on. 

Two left. Going to finish tonight. I actually went back and re-watched the first episode (because it was slow) and there was some good stuff in there that ties back in later down the line that you wouldn’t really know to catch right off the bat. 

I thought episode 6 at the funeral parlor was truly excellent tv and then ep 8 was about as creepy/scary of an hour as I’ve ever seen. My wife literally launched herself under the comforter during one scare scene. :lmao:   I had to pause it and calm her down. She woke up this morning and said she had awful nightmares. Guess we are watching tonight with the lights on. 
I felt like they let off the creep/scary gas pedal a bit heading to the finish.

Episode 6 is the one I think was also one of the better episodes of TV I've seen in a long while.

I'll need to rewatch it, and probably ep1 on your recommendation. Do you remember in ep6 if it's one continuous camera shot? At some point it occurred to me, but I hadn't been paying enough attention prior.

And people... Primarily jamny...are complaining about the family drama aspect of the show. It's there for sure, but completely integral to the psychological creep/horror in what's going on. The horror works because of and along with the family dynamic.

Episode 6 is the one I think was also one of the better episodes of TV I've seen in a long while.

I'll need to rewatch it, and probably ep1 on your recommendation. Do you remember in ep6 if it's one continuous camera shot? At some point it occurred to me, but I hadn't been paying enough attention prior.
It did feel like one long tracking shot to me until they went down to the vodka room (or whatever) but I can’t imagine they could pull that off. Impressive if so. 

And people... Primarily jamny...are complaining about the family drama aspect of the show. It's there for sure, but completely integral to the psychological creep/horror in what's going on. The horror works because of and along with the family dynamic.
Yea the horror pays off because of the family. It doesn’t feel cheap like it usually does with this genre. 

It did feel like one long tracking shot to me until they went down to the vodka room (or whatever) but I can’t imagine they could pull that off. Impressive if so. 
I got the sense it was achieved in post production...so not "actually" one tracking shot- but maybe, and really cool either way.

It felt like I was watching a play because of it- that I was right there in that funeral home and house. Really good stuff.

7 episodes down. Episode 6 was a great way to tie in a lot that had happened so far. I do think it is still a bit slow, as a whole, but still really good. Funny to see the E.T. kid all grown up.

Watched the first one and I'm in.  Trying to get the wife on board as we need a new show to watch.  

7 episodes down. Episode 6 was a great way to tie in a lot that had happened so far. I do think it is still a bit slow, as a whole, but still really good. Funny to see the E.T. kid all grown up.
Thought he was well cast as a young Timothy Hutton.

They did a good job casting the kids too- matched well with the adult actors. Luke probably least successful because of those thick glasses.

I'm going to keep watching. I love horror movies but think jump scares are cheap. Hopefully there will be some genuine scares down the line.

I'm going to keep watching. I love horror movies but think jump scares are cheap. Hopefully there will be some genuine scares down the line.
I'm not a jump scare fan. it has some for sure, but not enough to make me feel like they were done gratuitously or cheaply. I felt like it's more about setting a creepy tone, setting up anticipations of creepiness, and maintaining it- more than having things go "boo".

btw- I had to go survey a 150yo old house on the LI sound on Friday. it had been closed up for winter and with storm-shutters in place for Michael, if it ever made it to NY. so no open windows and basically dark. the house is still owned by the original owner family and has been barely touched or updated. lots of dark wood paneling, barely any electric lights- so without the windows , really dark. and with enough resemblance to Hill House and all the furniture covered up for winter to make the the whole experience creepy as ####. also freezing- right on the beach with gale winds howling through the house (no insulation). 

at one point I was in the basement and had to into a sub-room with the boiler to measure and take pictures. I took a step in, with my flashlight covering very little- and saw out of the corner of my eye something odd and splotchy on one of the foundation walls- reminded me of the stuff they see in the basement at hill house. I take a step in, shine the light directly at the wall... take another step, and all the golf-ball to tennis ball sized splotches (about 20) jump at the same time off the wall, hit the floor and jump directly at me... ####### spiders! I screamed like a girl waaaay younger than my 7yo daughter.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not a jump scare fan. it has some for sure, but not enough to make me feel like they were done gratuitously or cheaply. I felt like it's more about setting a creepy tone, setting up anticipations of creepiness, and maintaining it- more than having things go "boo".

btw- I had to go survey a 150yo old house on the LI sound on Friday. it had been closed up for winter and with storm-shutters in place for Michael, if it ever made it to NY. so no open windows and basically dark. the house is still owned by the original owner family and has been barely touched or updated. lots of dark wood paneling, barely any electric lights- so without the windows , really dark. and with enough resemblance to Hill House and all the furniture covered up for winter to make the the whole experience creepy as ####. also freezing- right on the beach with gale winds howling through the house (no insulation). 

at one point I was in the basement and had to into a sub-room with the boiler to measure and take pictures. I took a step in, with my flashlight covering very little- and saw out of the corner of my eye something odd and splotchy on one of the foundation walls- reminded me of the stuff they see in the basement at hill house. I take a step in, shine the light directly at the wall... take another step, and all the golf-ball to tennis ball sized splotches (about 20) jump at the same time off the wall, hit the floor and jump directly at me... ####### spiders! I screamed like a girl waaaay younger than my 7yo daughter.
:scared:

Just finished it.  Ending kinda sucked....

If I had a do-over, I wouldn't have watched it.   I just didn't think it was that good.  

Capella said:
Holy smokes this show is nuts. One of the best jump scares scenes I’ve ever seen later in the season. 

Who else is watching this? We are finishing it up tomorrow. 
Almost had a heart attack at the scene. Great show.

Nah man I would’ve left 

I got the sense it was achieved in post production...so not "actually" one tracking shot- but maybe, and really cool either way.

It felt like I was watching a play because of it- that I was right there in that funeral home and house. Really good stuff.
Watching a play is the perfect way to put it. Felt very close. 

We really liked it. Agree the ending was missing a little something, not sure what. Loved the bait-and-switch at the beginning of the finale when you think it's a legit flash-forward. Was annoyed they structured the story that way to end it and was complaining to the girlfriend as the truth was revealed. 

So...with mom, dad, and sister there for eternity, do the kids make pilgrimages when near death to be together? Guessing not as it seems like it is supposed to be a fate worse than death, for a normal person (aka not the Dudleys). Which makes the "happy" ending vibe kinda weird. 

Surprised no one has called the oldest son Daario here. 

Watched the funeral parlor episode last night.  It was great.  Loved how the actors were purposefully awkward with dialogue.  They were cutting back and forth between the parlor and the house though, so it definitely wasn't one continuous shot.  Although the beginning of the episode may have been.  Lot of camera rotation around the actors and then glimpses of her.

I am up to episode 5. I love it so far but I have a hard time keeping track of who is who with all of the time jumps.

Watched the funeral parlor episode last night.  It was great.  Loved how the actors were purposefully awkward with dialogue.  They were cutting back and forth between the parlor and the house though, so it definitely wasn't one continuous shot.  Although the beginning of the episode may have been.  Lot of camera rotation around the actors and then glimpses of her.
I first thought of it being like a play, and wondered if the funeral home and hill house might have been all one big set- allowing them to continuously track between them (with younger and older actors having to carefully jump in and out of frame). but there was a moment a ways into it when it seemed pretty clearly an editing/post-production thing... can't remember when. and then it clearly ends- camera stops moving and we edit to another location. regardless of whether it was continuous or not, I thought the whole thing was amazingly crafted.

and you're absolutely right about the family. the dialogue is purposely written imperfectly- the way people actually talk to their families, with hot-button items, things always misunderstood or taken the wrong way, or things just said wrong or left unsaid. I referenced the "three's company" plot device earlier, where furley hears "king kong's balls" instead of "ping pong balls" and wala- 30 minutes of HIGH-larious hijinx. but here, the misunderstandings and dialogue all felt natural and well written- even if frustrating. wife and I kept saying to each other- if our kids repeatedly told us there were creepy things happening, we wouldn't keep dismissing them (like ... chris rock?...  the house tells me to get out, I'm getting the #### out). but that seemed core to the family dynamic, so it kind of worked....  and also allowed the story to happen

Jump scares are cheap if they are not set up correctly...I think Hill House has set theirs up very well.  And the one being referenced was unreal...

So hard to tell a campfire ghost story now days without it coming off as ridiculous or dumb.  This show hits on all marks.  Even with the young dad and kids seemingly campy at times it fits.  9/10, perfect binge watch for Halloween.  

Lots of easter egg type hidden ghosts in the background.  Search the googles because no way you caught them all, at least I didn't.

Personal creeper:  Wife sometimes talks in her sleep when she is really tired.  I'm always watching shows in bed after she falls asleep.  In episode 9 when the mom is talking to herself about trying to wake up just before the ghost pushes her over the railing the wife started talking in her sleep saying weird stuff.   :oldunsure:

Personal creeper:  Wife sometimes talks in her sleep when she is really tired.  I'm always watching shows in bed after she falls asleep.  In episode 9 when the mom is talking to herself about trying to wake up just before the ghost pushes her over the railing the wife started talking in her sleep saying weird stuff.   :oldunsure:
:lol:  

just reminded me of my freshman roommate in college. would talk in his sleep very occasionally. one night, I'm up late writing a paper and he starts babbling from his bed. I'm tired, so I wasn't sure if he was talking to me or just sleep-talking... so I ask him a question. he keeps babbling without answering, so I say to him- oh, you're just talking in your sleep. at this point, he stops talking, sits up in his bed, turns and looks at me and says "maybe it's not me talking" and then lays back down and doesn't say another word the rest of the night. I'm guessing that last part, because I ran the #### out of there and slept in the dorm lounge that night.

:lol:  

just reminded me of my freshman roommate in college. would talk in his sleep very occasionally. one night, I'm up late writing a paper and he starts babbling from his bed. I'm tired, so I wasn't sure if he was talking to me or just sleep-talking... so I ask him a question. he keeps babbling without answering, so I say to him- oh, you're just talking in your sleep. at this point, he stops talking, sits up in his bed, turns and looks at me and says "maybe it's not me talking" and then lays back down and doesn't say another word the rest of the night. I'm guessing that last part, because I ran the #### out of there and slept in the dorm lounge that night.
Her: "I found the socks in the drawer" as she points to the tv and the mom being followed through Hill House by the lady ghost.

Me: "What socks?"

Her: "I meant the flowers."

Me: "What flowers?"

Her: "I clarified myself."

Me:  Thinking to myself if the mom pulls some dead flowers out of a drawer or something I'm really going to start freaking out.

She kind of acts like she's frustrated that I don't understand her.  But, when I tell her about it in the morning she doesn't remember any of it.

I watched episode 2 last night. I wanted to turn it off, it was so dull. I only finished the episode cuz my wife (who is terrified of even the wimpiest horror movies) wanted to see how it ended. 
As a horror fan, maybe my expectation was too high. But this show does nothing for me.

This show scares me about 3-4 times every episode. Screw that damn bent neck lady. Episode 6 was one of the best hours of television I've ever watched. 

Finished this last night...

Most definitely worth the watch.  Will likely watch it again as whenever I watch suspenseful 'stuff'...I find I miss a lot of the subtle detail since I'm 'what's next' mode.

However, last episode (of the 10) felt wrapped up too neatly/cleanly and I felt underwhelmed.

Most definitely worth the watch.  Will likely watch it again as whenever I watch suspenseful 'stuff'...I find I miss a lot of the subtle detail since I'm 'what's next' mode.

However, last episode (of the 10) felt wrapped up too neatly/cleanly and I felt underwhelmed.
My theory is that they are all trapped in the house. Too clean an ending otherwise.

Pretty much how I feel. I really enjoyed the show but the last episode went against everything they were building up. 

Users who are viewing this thread