What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Homeless (1 Viewer)

I can only tell you what I know about my city, but there are a lot of reasons people go homeless. Whether it be losing your job, substance abuse, major medical event, etc. The average homeless person is homeless for about 6 months. Then, often with help, they usually get back on their feet.

There are, of course, some percentage that is chronically homeless. Usually these people are severely mentally ill. And the US does not allocate adequate resources to helping them.
We've all lost a job before, we get back up and find another one. What I notice is a lack of confidence in themselves.  You sense a lot of weaknesses.  Have never been confronted with a strong stand erect look you in the eye homeless person.  They look down, or away from you.

I get some suffer some mental illness which makes me wonde why are they allowed on the streets at all.

My guess is that the job, the car and the blonde are a better scenario than jail, but since you’re such a big fan of bars and fighting, I can see why you’re optimistic about this
Who said anything about being a big fan of anything? 

Ever heard of James Scott?  He learned how to box in prison, hell, some of his fights were televised in his prison.

It's not some far fetched BS at all, the kid is young, slid as a rock and has this look of the agile tiger.

Dude  you work way too hard, just relax, ok?

We've all lost a job before, we get back up and find another one. What I notice is a lack of confidence in themselves.  You sense a lot of weaknesses.  Have never been confronted with a strong stand erect look you in the eye homeless person.  They look down, or away from you.

I get some suffer some mental illness which makes me wonde why are they allowed on the streets at all.

If you live paycheck to paycheck and lose the job with the paycheck, you aren't very far from being homeless. Or if you have a catastrophic medical event. You can get evicted in like 1.5 months (depending on the state). It doesn't have to do with confidence. You literally can not afford a home.

What does that mean, "why are they allowed on the streets at all?" Where should they go?

If you live paycheck to paycheck and lose the job with the paycheck, you aren't very far from being homeless. Or if you have a catastrophic medical event. You can get evicted in like 1.5 months (depending on the state). It doesn't have to do with confidence. You literally can not afford a home.

What does that mean, "why are they allowed on the streets at all?" Where should they go?
I think it has everything to do with confidence.  What do you do for a living?  Ever have to live pay check to pay check?  Why not?

Will work off your reply.

Was talking about the mentally ill being off the streets, something needs to be done there.

Dude  you work way too hard, just relax, ok?
Care to take a moment and count the number of posts that you’ve made today vs the number that I have and then come back and tell everyone how ridiculous this statement is?

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't you always wonder how it got that way?  What went wrong in their life?

We've all had to deal with..."hey buddy could you spare some change".  And if I have a few bucks, change, ok cool. But I'm dying to ask about what happened with them, how did they get in this mess?  

The one that gets me is when we see these people pushing around a stolen cart from Walmart/Target gathering up ....stuff. Piles of stuff.

Imagine actually having to worry about a meal, can't even fathom that. Where do they sleep?

There is a little Filipino guy here in town we all call Paquiao, he pushes a cart and will stop and do flips and martial arts kicks and punches, we see him all over town at all hours.  As far as I know nobody bugs the guy, guessing mid 20's.  Would love to find out his story, and did have a chance once when we both were at the recycle place. Why I didn't..???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kQlRQRGdfQ
Three major contributors from my work with the homeless:

Addiction

Mental Illness

Illness/Injury (or other traumatic event that causes financial ruin and lost employment opportunities)

I think it has everything to do with confidence.  What do you do for a living?  Ever have to live pay check to pay check?  Why not?

Will work off your reply.

Was talking about the mentally ill being off the streets, something needs to be done there.
I'm a lawyer. So no, I don't live paycheck to paycheck. But I could. Before I was a lawyer, I worked an entry level finance job while trying to pay off college debt. I am lucky enough to have great family and friends who would have helped me if I ever needed it - but not everyone is that lucky.

I agree. Something needs to be done about mental health treatment in the US. Maybe we should fund it better. 

Three major contributors from my work with the homeless:

Addiction

Mental Illness

Illness/Injury (or other traumatic event that causes financial ruin and lost employment opportunities)
I do associate addiction to weakness, you agree?  So their situation all on themselves.  Or do you go with addiction is some disease it's self?

How can those mentally unstable not be taken in and off the streets?

I see illness/injury, not much can be done there,

I'm a lawyer. So no, I don't live paycheck to paycheck. But I could. Before I was a lawyer, I worked an entry level finance job while trying to pay off college debt. I am lucky enough to have great family and friends who would have helped me if I ever needed it - but not everyone is that lucky.

I agree. Something needs to be done about mental health treatment in the US. Maybe we should fund it better. 
My point was you applied yourself, took charge of things, tried to better your self so you wouldn;t have to live pay check to pay check.

A mentally deranged person has no business on any street, how thisis allowed to happen...?

My point was you applied yourself, took charge of things, tried to better you self so you wouldn;t have to live pay check to pay check.
I had great parents and a family who supported me and paid for me to go to a Catholic high school. I had good friends who pushed me to accomplish more. And I was born with slightly above average intelligence.

I am extremely lucky. Not everyone is so.

I do associate addiction to weakness, you agree?  So their situation all on themselves.  Or do you go with addiction is some disease it's self?

How can those mentally unstable not be taken in and off the streets?

I see illness/injury, not much can be done there,
I thought you were asking what causes people to become homeless. If you are on a quest to learn, I can provide you with links to all sorts of information. If, however, your goal is not to learn, but instead to support some hypothesis about people being homeless because they are weak, I’ll disengage. Not because some homeless people don’t bear responsibility for where they find themselves, but because I’ve found that it’s not worth my time to help someone understand perhaps the most invisible and marginalized population in our society when they think they’ve already diagnosed the problem and prescribed the solution. 

In the event you are interested in keeping an open mind, here is a video about my friend Joseph Benson. He tells the story of how a car accident led to his homelessness, and how he found his way back to a life of serving others.

https://youtu.be/s1NuSa5aSFI

My point was you applied yourself, took charge of things, tried to better your self so you wouldn;t have to live pay check to pay check.

A mentally deranged person has no business on any street, how thisis allowed to happen...?
Because our society devotes far too few resources to treating mental illness. In Houston (the fourth largest city in the US), I’ll give you one guess as to the institution that is the largest provider of mental health treatment. 

Harris County Jail System. A significant percentage of the chronically homeless population suffer from mental illness. They get thrown in jail for various minor offenses (vagrancy, trespass, sleeping in public spaces, etc.). While in jail, they get treated, diagnosed and put on meds. Once on meds, they normalize. But after a few weeks, they get released back out onto the streets. No health care, no meds, no support. Once off their meds, they have no chance of getting off the streets. It’s a vicious cycle. 

Harris County Jail System. A significant percentage of the homeless population suffer from mental illness. They get thrown in jail for various minor offenses (vagrancy, trespass, sleeping in public spaces, etc.). While in jail, they get treated, diagnosed and put on meds. Once on meds, they normalize. But after a few weeks, they get released back out onto the streets. No health care, no meds, no support. Once off their meds, they have no chance of getting off the streets. It’s a vicious cycle. 
Dang, I needed Google and 30 seconds to find the answer, but you only gave me 15.

bigbottom said:
I thought you were asking what causes people to become homeless. If you are on a quest to learn, I can provide you with links to all sorts of information. If, however, your goal is not to learn, but instead to support some hypothesis about people being homeless because they are weak, I’ll disengage. Not because some homeless people don’t bear responsibility for where they find themselves, but because I’ve found that it’s not worth my time to help someone understand perhaps the most invisible and marginalized population in our society when they think they’ve already diagnosed the problem and prescribed the solution. 

In the event you are interested in keeping an open mind, here is a video about my friend Joseph Benson. He tells the story of how a car accident led to his homelessness, and how he found his way back to a life of serving others.

https://youtu.be/s1NuSa5aSFI
This.

I was homeless for a brief amount of time as a 17-18 year old kid. I used to get food from a dumpster behind a safeway when they threw it out. I did get a very brief job working in a deli and I used to take the ends of meats instead of throwing them away. From hanging out at an arcade I met a girl who worked at subway. She would give me free sandwiches. Again from kids I met at the arcade I would go to their house and crash on a sofa and use the shower when I could. These homes were pretty much latch key kids whos parents probably had very little clue what was going on in their homes. 

The worst part of being homeless for me was all the sexual predators out there. I hitch hiked a lot and was routinely picked up by guys who were looking to score. Some more aggressive then others. it was scary sometimes. For a while I stayed with about 4 other guys at a gentlemans house who obviously liked young boys. We would hang out with our shirts off and get to eat,drink etc what ever we wanted. I never did anything sexual with him but I think some of the others may have. It was kind of a dont ask dont tell situation.

I was saved off the streets when a highschool friends parents saw me and I was pretty homeless looking. They took me in, set up some rules, and allowed me to live with them. I figure they very well may have saved my life. I currently live pay check to pay check and I do have a fear of being homeless again. More so because I have the responsibility of a wife and kids. I would never want them to go through what I did.

I have several homeless stories. Most of which are not good. Its not a good place to be.

I was homeless for a brief amount of time as a 17-18 year old kid. I used to get food from a dumpster behind a safeway when they threw it out. I did get a very brief job working in a deli and I used to take the ends of meats instead of throwing them away. From hanging out at an arcade I met a girl who worked at subway. She would give me free sandwiches. Again from kids I met at the arcade I would go to their house and crash on a sofa and use the shower when I could. These homes were pretty much latch key kids whos parents probably had very little clue what was going on in their homes. 

The worst part of being homeless for me was all the sexual predators out there. I hitch hiked a lot and was routinely picked up by guys who were looking to score. Some more aggressive then others. it was scary sometimes. For a while I stayed with about 4 other guys at a gentlemans house who obviously liked young boys. We would hang out with our shirts off and get to eat,drink etc what ever we wanted. I never did anything sexual with him but I think some of the others may have. It was kind of a dont ask dont tell situation.

I was saved off the streets when a highschool friends parents saw me and I was pretty homeless looking. They took me in, set up some rules, and allowed me to live with them. I figure they very well may have saved my life. I currently live pay check to pay check and I do have a fear of being homeless again. More so because I have the responsibility of a wife and kids. I would never want them to go through what I did.

I have several homeless stories. Most of which are not good. Its not a good place to be.
Thank you @prosopis 

I'm thankful for you and for your friend's parents. I want to be hyper sensitive to your privacy so do not hesitate one second to just say "pass" but if you felt like sharing, could you let us know a bit more about how your friend's parents set up things and what they did to help? I think a lot of people want to help, but aren't sure how. Again, do not let me pry here. If you'd rather not talk about it, I completely understand. 

Thanks for sharing prosopis.  Your stories are chilling.  The streets are a scary place no doubt.

Thank you @prosopis 

I'm thankful for you and for your friend's parents. I want to be hyper sensitive to your privacy so do not hesitate one second to just say "pass" but if you felt like sharing, could you let us know a bit more about how your friend's parents set up things and what they did to help? I think a lot of people want to help, but aren't sure how. Again, do not let me pry here. If you'd rather not talk about it, I completely understand. 
Echoing everything Joe just said, but also hoping to hear whatever you're willing to share about what lead you to originally being homeless.

Thank you @prosopis 

I dont mind at all. i am a pretty open guy. Rules were I could live there but I had to cut my hair, get a job, no drugs, pay for my own food once I had a job, that was it. They took me in like I was a part of the family. I called her mom, it was like I was a second son. She often says I am her chosen son.I will admit I did not want to cut my hair but I did. I was so surprised how differently people treated me after. It was like I was a different person. I ended up getting a factory job that I was probably to smart to be doing. I did get laid off quite a bit and hopped around to different manufacturing jobs. Have many crazy stories from those places. This was all happening in Ct. At some point I worked for a place that had a branch in Arizona. I had fallen madly in love with a girl who was going to Arizona for school so I transferred to Arizona. It was sad but exciting to be leaving an old life on the east coast and starting a new one out west. I put everything I owned in a pick up and drove west.

I ended up getting laid off again and decided to go to school. I ended up in the health field and I am doing fine. I am married and have four kids of my own. I obviously keep in touch with those folks and I even got to go back and visit last summer. Every time I see them I tell them I love them and remind them they probably saved my life. 

I dont mind at all. i am a pretty open guy. Rules were I could live there but I had to cut my hair, get a job, no drugs, pay for my own food once I had a job, that was it. They took me in like I was a part of the family. I called her mom, it was like I was a second son. She often says I am her chosen son.I will admit I did not want to cut my hair but I did. I was so surprised how differently people treated me after. It was like I was a different person. I ended up getting a factory job that I was probably to smart to be doing. I did get laid off quite a bit and hopped around to different manufacturing jobs. Have many crazy stories from those places. This was all happening in Ct. At some point I worked for a place that had a branch in Arizona. I had fallen madly in love with a girl who was going to Arizona for school so I transferred to Arizona. It was sad but exciting to be leaving an old life on the east coast and starting a new one out west. I put everything I owned in a pick up and drove west.

I ended up getting laid off again and decided to go to school. I ended up in the health field and I am doing fine. I am married and have four kids of my own. I obviously keep in touch with those folks and I even got to go back and visit last summer. Every time I see them I tell them I love them and remind them they probably saved my life. 
Thank you Buddy. That is an amazing and beautiful story. That's awesome you can let them know how much you appreciate what they did. And good on you for taking advantage of the opportunity they provided. Thanks for sharing. 

Users who are viewing this thread