What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Official Staff/Messageboard Survivor Thread (1 Viewer)

11.02 TE Boo Williams NO/8

Even though he had a great second half, I would not be 100% sure of him being the starter this year.  Conwell was the starter and got hurt.  Who knows if he is considered the starter still or not.  It's nice to think Williams is, but again we just don't know for sure.
I share your concerns about my QB2 and QB3. I'm as big of a Henry supporter as there is around here, but I recognize the talent and ability McGahee has if healthy. That's purely a swing for the fences type of pick that could pay off...and if it doesn't, hopefully it won't matter since my top 3 RBs should all be solid. I'm not even a big Javon Walker guy, but I like the way Favre was relying on him late last year and all reports out of camps this offseason have been glowing. I think he's a great survivor WR who will have some monster games. Meanwhile, guys like Keyshawn, Muhammad, and Kev.Johnson should all be steady and productive and give me at least 2 solid scores during most weeks with pt/rec and an occasional TD. I think my 5 WRs so far all have a better than 50/50 shot of finishing in the top-40 at the end of the year, and I think at least 4 of them will end the season as their team's highest scoring WR.As for my TE, I don't think there is or should be any doubt about Boo Williams' grasp on the starting TE job and I expect him to finish top-5 among TEs this year. You are not the first to mention that, but I've yet to see any report anywhere indicating that the job might not be his. Conwell will see time in 2-TE sets if healthy, but last I read he couldn't even participate in workouts yet.

When it comes to a list of the least durable TEs, Conwell falls somewhere in place right behind Stephen Alexander and Eric Johnson. Williams is a beast, and still young and improving.

A look at the FBG STATS BOOK tell us that:

Over the last 6 games of the 2003 season, Boo Williams was targeted 45 times and he turned those into 29 receptions for 347 yards and 4 TDs :shock: Those are monster numbers that guys like Crumpler and McMichael have probably never reached yet Boo did it in his first starting opportunity.

He also had his best games last year against good defenses so he wasn't padding his stats against cupcakes. For example, in his 1st start, he lit up Philly for 9 receptions, 110 yards, and a TD in week 12, which would have been good for 35 points in this scoring system.

Also, he converted all 4 of his receptions inside the 20 yard line into TDs last year. :shock:

Also, this quote from Bob Harris backs up what I've been thinking and hearing:

New Orleans: A former wideout with very soft hands, tight end Boo Williams enjoyed a breakout 2003 and emerged as one of the Saints' most reliable playmakers with veteran Ernie Conwell sidelined the final six games of the season with a fractured ankle.

Conwell expects to return at full speed this summer, but he realizes Williams is the primary threat at the position.

"Last year, Boo showed a greater maturity level," Conwell said. "Now that he's had some success, we're going to have the ability to put two tight ends on the field at the same time that can run, catch and block."

Of course, one of those tight ends -- Williams, who reportedly added 20 pounds of muscle over the offseason without losing any speed -- looks like a guy on the rise while the other's best days appear to be behind him.
more reports on Boo, who has added 20 lbs of muscle this offseason without sacrificing his great speed: LINK
Signed as an undrafted free agent out of Arkansas in 2001, Williams came to the Saints as a 225-pounder who served as a split end for the Razorbacks from 1999-2000. His 80 receptions for 1,123 yards and 11 touchdowns at Arkansas showed the Saints he could catch. His next job was to learn a new position.

"A lot of the credit should go to (tight ends coach) Bob Palcic," said Saints Coach Jim Haslett. "We took a guy who was a wide receiver, who weighed 225 pounds, and made him into a tight end."

Sloan was 6-6, 260 pounds with the Saints while Conwell is 6-2, 265 pounds, both prototypical for the position. Williams, 6-4, was around 245-250 pounds last season - a number he raised to round out his game.

The Saints signed Williams in January to a three-year contract as he was on the verge of becoming a restricted free agent.

"Working with Boo on a contract extension was a priority for us entering the offseason, not only because of his production but also because of his potential," said Saints' General Manager Mickey Loomis when Williams signed his new deal. "After he played wide receiver at Arkansas, he worked extremely hard to become an NFL tight end. He just started showing what he was capable of over the last half of the season as both a receiver and a blocker. Boo really stepped up when Ernie went down, and we expect more from him in the future."

He worked on the weights and technique in the offseason and his bigger frame means more responsibility in the Saints offense this year. Instead of cornerbacks taking him on, he will now draw linebackers who will have to keep an eye and body on him when he gets off the line of scrimmage.

"We are going to put more and more on his shoulders this year," Haslett said. "He'll be our move guy (motion tight end) and be our third receiver some. I think he's ready for that role."

"I worked on the weights a lot," Williams said. "Going from 227 to 270 pounds has helped me tremendously. It feels good. Big guys and defensive ends who weigh 280 pounds were rolling me around when I was 235 pounds. They can't push me around as much as they did when I first got here."

"He's kept his head straight and has done what it took to be the number one guy," quarterback Aaron Brooks said. "It's good to see that he gained the weight necessary to play the position. He's a heck of an athlete for us."
Haslett talks about putting Boo in motion and occasionally lining up as their 3rd WR. That screams opportunity to me, and it was clear late last year that Aaron Brooks is very comfortable throwing to him and to TEs in general. Apart from Winslow, this guy has the best chance of cracking the Big 3 IMO, yet I was able to draft him 7 rounds later than where those guys went. That made my RB-RB-RB-WR-QB-QB-QB strategy pay off nicely.

Last edited by a moderator:
sinrman-

Excellent Wr's in C. Johnson and Terell Owens. Your Wr3 is Darrell Jackson, that's good but you passed on Anquan Bolden. With Bolden as your WR3, you would have rocked in that department.

QB- You waited awhile and took Bledsoe and then Harrington. You rolled the dice with Harrington and passed on guys like Carr and McCown. Very risky.

RB= your weakness. LT2 is spectacular but Warrick Dunn as your RB 2, and A-Train as your RB 3, you're hurting there partner.

TE-Very strong with Crumpler and McMichael, should post a solid score each week.

Your fall may be out of the first 8 rounds, you selected 4 wr's and 2 qb's. As good as your WR's are, you risk putting him some low numbers in your RB 2 slot and a prayer on San Diego's bye week will be needed as your RB's will be Warrick Dunn and A-Train as long as Dunn's playing.

Grade: B-

Rudnicki-

I liked the fact that you went RB all 3 of the first rounds. I believe that there is value later in the drafts at WR compared to RB.

Qb's Brooks, Palmer and McCown, Brooks will be Brooks but I really like Palmer, he'll be a solid contributer. McCown as your 3rd QB in 7 rounds, when you could have had Chambers or Toomer.

Wr'[s The reason I mention Chambers or Toomer as Wr2 is that yours now is Javon Walker. He could work out, but he's risky IMO. You had 2 solid Qb's, you could have had Walker as your Wr3, with a ton of upside instead of a dicey WR2.

However, i like Keyshawn Johnson this year, he'll contribute to weekly points.

TE- Boo Williams at times tore it up last season. Is he the real deal? Maybe as you'll need him because the TE spot is valuable at 2 points per reception.

Grade B+

Grouse:

Again, I like the 3 RB's in a row, Deuce M., Rudi and Julius Jones. However, when you do this, I feel like you have to drop the TE spot a bit and get a WR in round 4 and then focus on QB's. You chose Heap, who's good but then you're either going to be hurting at WR or at QB.

At this point you wisely chose to get a QB in Bulger who should score points, but your 2 back ups in Quincy Carter and Kerry Collins potentially may not even be starters.

Wr's-Koren Robinson is a weak wr1, wr 2 Chambers is solid but then Quentin Griffin in the 10th, not sure you needed him there with your weakness at WR. Then you went Musa Smith in the 13th which really surprised me. I'm in a minority on this , but I actually think Chester Taylor is better than Musa and will outplay him this year. Regardless of that, Musa in the 13th is a WOW.

GRade: C

Anderson: 3 solid RB, but I don't like your QB 3 selection in round 7. The next pick after yours turned out to be Foster, who you needed IMO to handcuff to Davis.

In rounds 10 and 11 you chose defense, for both! Holy Crap Batman. I thought you could have strengthened your team by grabbing a TE there and a WR.

Grade: C

Rebel 34

Marcel Shipp as your RB 2 as you know is now very weak, backed up with D. Foster who may not get enough carries early in the season for you to move forward.

You chose Fitzgerald as your wr25, there is no value there. You could have taken guys like Isaac Bruce, Keyshawn Johnson and David Boston. Guys that will put up points. If you like Fitz, fine. But I think there was a chance that he goes another round and could have gotten him there. That was a reach IMO. Drew Bennett is a solid Wr5.

Peyton Manning is consistant, but your overall running game is not. I'm afraid you may lack the firepower combined with consistancy to survive.

Grade: C-

Chris Smith:

3 solid backs, although I don't agree with Edge at No.6. I really like Charlie Garner as a RB3.

McNair and Trent Green are really solid picks, David Carr is insurance, but did you need him there. Because your Wr2 is Rod Smith, that's weak. Instead of Carr, you could have had Amani Toomer, which would have made Rod Smith a Wr3 and Buress a Wr4. Now that I can stomach. Good value in Alstott late I believe.

Grade: B

BostonFred:

I like Portis at 7 and DD as a RB2. You must have been pinching yourself to find Caulpepper there in the middle of the 3rd round, that's ridiculous.

I don't like Moulds as a Wr1 though and then IMO you reached on Tatum Bell, where you could have supplemented a weaker WR1 with K-Rob or Jimmy Smith, which would have allowed Toomer to be a very strong Wr3.

Te's Gonzalez in the middle of the 4th and Winslow Jr. in the 9th is a gift in this format, this is what gives you the edge.

Grade: A-

Tremblay

Big Jamal Lewis supporter. However, you took Holt in the 2nd, which is fine. But I think when you select a WR in the 2nd round, your focus needs to turn to RB as you have to realize your RB 2 is going to be weaker, which it is in Curtis Martin. Not horrible there but you neglect the RB spot and have Correl Buckhalter as your RB3. Moe Williams helps there a little as your RB 4. Desmond Clark as your TE1 is pretty weak, you'll need to back him up with somebody almost as good as him for that to work effectively. I felt like you got a lot of value in your Booker selection as a WR 3.

Grade B-

Sandbagger-

You did wht you could with your spot early, taking Ricky Williams and Travis Henry. Hines Ward will be a solid contibuter. However, right now having McCardell as a Wr2 is scary and Quincy Morgan is a lower end Wr3 IMO. I see why in the other thread why you said you like E. George as a RB4, you have him there. I like that too I guess. I do feel like you reached on Ituli Mili as TE 11 taken in the draft. If you like him, that's fine. But I think you could have gotten him later as I don't have him in my top 20 Te's.

Grade: B+ (This grade goes down if Shockey and McCardell don't produce because of contract and injury.)

Yudkin: I think the worst spot to pick from is the 10 spot if all 9 picks before you are RB's, which they were. You took Taylor, and I think I would have too but there's no doubt he's a weaker RB1 followed up by Tiki Barber a decent but not great Rb2. At this point, I don't like Chris Brown so early in a draft, it could go bad.

Your weakness lies at Wr, as Charles Rodgers is your Wr2. I don't feel comfortable with that and neither should you. Maddox being your QB3 was a pick where I would have went Marty Booker there, allowing Rodgers to be your WR3.

Bottom line, this team needs Vick big time. You need him to have a big year, if he goes down, you can't survive.

Grade: C+

Rb's Your RB 1 is Thomas Jones. Man that hurts. I know you have a great combo in Moss and Harrison but they need to have career years to keep this team going.

I thought A.J. Feely was a bit of a reach and I cannot believe nobody has taken Jay Fiedler thru 14 rounds, you need him to secure that QB2 spot. You've taken players like L.J. Smith , Tyrone Calico and David Akers. If Fiedler starts and someone picks him in this draft before you, that could really hurt you.

Grade:C (Could go up but I have to see the next rounds to see if he has Fiedler, also just not a proponent of Thomas Jones being anyone's No.1 RB.

Culcasi-

I really like the Barlow Faulk start. I would feel good picking 12th with both of those guys. Then you get Kevin Jones who I'm high on and i like McNabb. I think Joe Horn drafted at Wr 15 is good value and your QB2 is Garcia, solid. Peerless Price is good at 7.12, but I think Kurt Warner, your QB3 is a bad call. I just don't like him or 3 qb's this early. You should have taken Marty Booker there. I like the Reggie Wayne, Gardner selections.

I think Dallas Clark at TE9 is a great pick up. Your 2nd worse pick is Shawn Bryson in the 14th. I don't understand that pick. You could have had that later, he doesn't even get drafted in some drafts. IMO he's RB 3 on the Lions, not a good spot at all.

I feel that you could have had the best team if not for that Kurt Warner pick and Bryson.

you don't have mili in your top 20? :shock: i have him #6 in this format.edit: my WRs are always "weak" but never end up being an issue especially in this format.survivor contributes to minimalist WR theory and what i make up for it in other positions should do me good.thanks for taking the time to analyze it. i think (hope) you'll see my WRs improve as well as some value steals late in the draft.

sinrman-

Excellent Wr's in C. Johnson and Terell Owens. Your Wr3 is Darrell Jackson, that's good but you passed on Anquan Bolden. With Bolden as your WR3, you would have rocked in that department.

QB- You waited awhile and took Bledsoe and then Harrington. You rolled the dice with Harrington and passed on guys like Carr and McCown. Very risky.

RB= your weakness. LT2 is spectacular but Warrick Dunn as your RB 2, and A-Train as your RB 3, you're hurting there partner.

TE-Very strong with Crumpler and McMichael, should post a solid score each week.

Your fall may be out of the first 8 rounds, you selected 4 wr's and 2 qb's. As good as your WR's are, you risk putting him some low numbers in your RB 2 slot and a prayer on San Diego's bye week will be needed as your RB's will be Warrick Dunn and A-Train as long as Dunn's playing.

Grade: B-

Rudnicki-

I liked the fact that you went RB all 3 of the first rounds. I believe that there is value later in the drafts at WR compared to RB.

Qb's Brooks, Palmer and McCown, Brooks will be Brooks but I really like Palmer, he'll be a solid contributer. McCown as your 3rd QB in 7 rounds, when you could have had Chambers or Toomer.

Wr'[s The reason I mention Chambers or Toomer as Wr2 is that yours now is Javon Walker. He could work out, but he's risky IMO. You had 2 solid Qb's, you could have had Walker as your Wr3, with a ton of upside instead of a dicey WR2.

TE- Boo Williams at times tore it up last season. Is he the real deal? Maybe as you'll need him because the TE spot is valuable at 2 points per reception.

Grade B+

Grouse:

Again, I like the 3 RB's in a row, Deuce M., Rudi and Julius Jones. However, when you do this, I feel like you have to drop the TE spot a bit and get a WR in round 4 and then focus on QB's. You chose Heap, who's good but then you're either going to be hurting at WR or at QB.

At this point you wisely chose to get a QB in Bulger who should score points, but your 2 back ups in Quincy Carter and Kerry Collins potentially may not even be starters.

Wr's-Koren Robinson is a weak wr1, wr 2 Chambers is solid but then Quentin Griffin in the 10th, not sure you needed him there with your weakness at WR. Then you went Musa Smith in the 13th which really surprised me. I'm in a minority on this , but I actually think Chester Taylor is better than Musa and will outplay him this year. Regardless of that, Musa in the 13th is a WOW.

GRade: C

Anderson: 3 solid RB, but I don't like your QB 3 selection in round 7. The next pick after yours turned out to be Foster, who you needed IMO to handcuff to Davis.

In rounds 10 and 11 you chose defense, for both! Holy Crap Batman. I thought you could have strengthened your team by grabbing a TE there and a WR.

Grade: C

Rebel 34

Marcel Shipp as your RB 2 as you know is now very weak, backed up with D. Foster who may not get enough carries early in the season for you to move forward.

You chose Fitzgerald as your wr25, there is no value there. You could have taken guys like Isaac Bruce, Keyshawn Johnson and David Boston. Guys that will put up points. If you like Fitz, fine. But I think there was a chance that he goes another round and could have gotten him there. That was a reach IMO. Drew Bennett is a solid Wr5.

Peyton Manning is consistant, but your overall running game is not. I'm afraid you may lack the firepower combined with consistancy to survive.

Grade: C-

Chris Smith:

3 solid backs, although I don't agree with Edge at No.6. I really like Charlie Garner as a RB3.

McNair and Trent Green are really solid picks, David Carr is insurance, but did you need him there. Because your Wr2 is Rod Smith, that's weak. Instead of Carr, you could have had Amani Toomer, which would have made Rod Smith a Wr3 and Buress a Wr4. Now that I can stomach. Good value in Alstott late I believe.

BostonFred:

I like Portis at 7 and DD as a RB2. You must have been pinching yourself to find Caulpepper there in the middle of the 3rd round, that's ridiculous.

I don't like Moulds as a Wr1 though and then IMO you reached on Tatum Bell, where you could have supplemented a weaker WR1 with K-Rob or Jimmy Smith, which would have allowed Toomer to be a very strong Wr3.

Te's Gonzalez in the middle of the 4th and Winslow Jr. in the 9th is a gift in this format, this is what gives you the edge.

Tremblay

Big Jamal Lewis supporter. However, you took Holt in the 2nd, which is fine. But I think when you select a WR in the 2nd round, your focus needs to turn to RB as you have to realize your RB 2 is going to be weaker, which it is in Curtis Martin. Not horrible there but you neglect the RB spot and have Correl Buckhalter as your RB3. Moe Williams helps there a little as your RB 4. Desmond Clark as your TE1 is pretty weak, you'll need to back him up with somebody almost as good as him for that to work effectively. I felt like you got a lot of value in your Booker selection as a WR 3.

Grade B-

Sandbagger-

You did wht you could with your spot early, taking Ricky Williams and Travis Henry. Hines Ward will be a solid contibuter. However, right now having McCardell as a Wr2 is scary and Quincy Morgan is a lower end Wr3 IMO. I see why in the other thread why you said you like E. George as a RB4, you have him there. I like that too I guess. I do feel like you reached on Ituli Mili as TE 11 taken in the draft. If you like him, that's fine. But I think you could have gotten him later as I don't have him in my top 20 Te's.

Grade: B+ (This grade goes down if Shockey and McCardell don't produce because of contract and injury.)
In regards to the "You should have taken Boldin over D Jax" comment - I disagree.Several reasons:

1) Uncertainty whether Boldin can repeat, or fall into the "Sophomore slump" like so many before him

2) Uncertainty whether McCown will live up to the hype that Denny Green has put forth - can he hack it, or will he struggle?

3) Uncertainty at RB - E Smith as the starter? Uhhh, ooooook. Shipp must have done SOMETHING to piss off Denny. I had high hopes for Shipp, and thought he brought a nice punch to that offense. Guess not...

4) Uncertainty whether Fitzgerald will take away too much from Boldin or not. Fitz is a playmaker and has the rare talent to break out in his first year (much like Boldin did last year).

5) Uncertainty whether other players, like Bryant Johnson or Freddie Jones for example, will step up and take more balls away - meaning, will the Cardinal offense look to spread the ball around more (due to various reasons, such as defenses clued in on Boldin now and not wanting him to bust loose, or maybe wanting to keep defenses focused on stopping the pass and trying to open the running game some).

And that's just ?'s about Boldin and the Cardinals... that's not even going into D Jax, and why I choose him over many other available WRs at the time. Boldin did very nicely last year, no doubt. And I think overall he'll do decent this year. But I like D Jax's upswing better, and the fewer ?'s surrouding him (a proven veteran at this point) and his offense (studs like Alexander, Hasselbeck and others like Robinson and Mili).

I feel that you could have had the best team if not for that Kurt Warner pick and Bryson.Grade: B
Thanks for taking the time. Much appreciated. It's all based on differing opinions right now, I understand that. I really don't see the Giants throwing Manning to the wolves this year. Kurt Warner is obviously not the player that he was, but I think he'll be good for a few big games. I also don't think that the Bryson pick is all that bad, but he may have been drafted too high (as you said). As I said in my commentary, I was trying to protect my top 3 runners at this point. I missed out on Jackson and I'm not sold on Pinner.For some reason I've always liked Shawn Bryson and I really don't know why.

sinrman-QB- You waited awhile and took Bledsoe and then Harrington. You rolled the dice with Harrington and passed on guys like Carr and McCown. Very risky.RB= your weakness. LT2 is spectacular but Warrick Dunn as your RB 2, and A-Train as your RB 3, you're hurting there partner.TE-Very strong with Crumpler and McMichael, should post a solid score each week.Your fall may be out of the first 8 rounds, you selected 4 wr's and 2 qb's. As good as your WR's are, you risk putting him some low numbers in your RB 2 slot and a prayer on San Diego's bye week will be needed as your RB's will be Warrick Dunn and A-Train as long as Dunn's playing.Grade: B-
In regards to my other players...Yeah, there's no doubt I'm a bit weak at QB. But I have high hopes for Bledsoe and Harrington. Both were terrible last year, and I don't think they can go anywhere but up this year. I think they should both bounce back this year. Both have bolstered offenses (especially Harrington with the addition of Williams and Jones). I don't expect 3500+ yard/25+ TD seasons from either, but if they can get me 3000 yard/18-20 TD seasons, they will have served their purpose and justified my picking them, in my opinion. The rest, is gravy. The big risk, and I do understand this, is that both have the potential of throwing up stinkers the same week, and putting me in a real pickle. But hey, that's the way the cards were dealt.As for taking Harrington over McCown... well, I like Harrington's upswing better than McCown. If you read my commentary, and actually Aaron Rudnicki's too, we both liked Harrington a bit better. Harrington now has 2 full seasons under his belt as the starter. McCown does not. I like the look of the Lion offense a tad better than the Cardinal one, as well. So I went with Joey. As I said in my commentary, I almost went with McCown, but chose not to. I was hoping McCown might slip to my next pick (8.12), and I would have taken him as my #3 QB, but Aaron snatched him up right after I took Harrington. Ahh well...As for my RBs. Yeah, definitely a weakness. LT will be LT. As long as he stays healthy and doesn't have 9 in the box every play, he should put up great numbers once again. Dunn, if he can remain healthy, I think will be a great pick. The 1 pt/reception will help a lot. Granted, Duckett takes away in the TD department, Dunn should still produce well for me. A-Train at 12.12 and Jordan at 14.12 were gifts at that point. Sure, neither will likely be a starter, but they will get playing time at least. How much, is uncertain. But I think A-Train will get maybe 30-40% of the load at least, and if Jones turns out to be the Jones of old, A-Train should get a lot more sooner, rather than later. I think Jordan will get more touches than usual. Martin is still plugging away, and has been one of the most consistent players for years, but the Jets are starting to realize that he won't play forever, and Jordan is likely the future there (if he doesn't keep backing himself into a corner by making demands). So I look for both to put together some decent production for me.Overall, I like my team. It can definitely use some help, but it's still not bad. The way I see it, my team is either a big boom, or a big bust. If I can make it past weeks 3,4, and 5 (due to bye weeks), I think I can make it deep into the season (barring injury of course). Those three bye weeks there, I think, will make or break me...

Rudnicki-

I liked the fact that you went RB all 3 of the first rounds.  I believe that there is value later in the drafts at WR compared to RB.

Qb's Brooks, Palmer and McCown,  Brooks will be Brooks but I really like Palmer, he'll be a solid contributer.  McCown as your 3rd QB in 7 rounds, when you could have had Chambers or Toomer.

Wr'[s The reason I mention Chambers or Toomer as Wr2 is that yours now is Javon Walker.  He could work out, but he's risky IMO.  You had 2 solid Qb's, you could have had Walker as your Wr3, with a ton of upside instead of a dicey WR2.

Grade B+
There are 2 general complaints that the critics seem to have with my draft: that I went RB in the 3rd round and that I went QB in the 7th.To be honest, I'm really not so sure that Chambers will outscore Javon Walker this year, and I had no qualms about passing on Chambers for my QB3. You'll see in League 1 that Unlucky took Javon Walker at the same spot where I took McCown. Chambers plays in a run first, run 2nd, run 3rd type of offense with an inexperienced offensive coordinator, an inexperienced QB, and a rebuilt and relatively young offensive line, and he'll have a quality WR around to steal catches from him. Chambers caught 11 TDs on 64 catches while Walker caught 9 on 41 catches. That's a similar TD to catch ratio...and I'd take my chances with Favre's favorite deep target over AJ Feeley's any day of the week.

As for Palmer, while I am also optimistic about his chances and like the surrounding talent, there is still risk involved with him that made a 3rd QB important to me. I could have mitigated that risk by grabbing Kitna late, but that would have only left me with 2 QBs each week instead of 3, which is what I wanted.

Also, for anyone who thinks I could have gotten a QB3 with my next pick, take a look at the QBs vs WRs available at the 8.11 pick. There were no QBs taken between 8.10 and 12.10! I am MUCH happier with McCown, Walker, Keyshawn vs Chambers, Crumpler, Keyshawn or whatever I would have done there. I like Boo as much or more than Crumpler and Chambers can likely be replaced with later picks, but I don't think I could have found an adeqaute replacement for McCown.

Rebel 34Marcel Shipp as your RB 2 as you know is now very weak, backed up with D. Foster who may not get enough carries early in the season for you to move forward.You chose Fitzgerald as your wr25, there is no value there. You could have taken guys like Isaac Bruce, Keyshawn Johnson and David Boston. Guys that will put up points. If you like Fitz, fine. But I think there was a chance that he goes another round and could have gotten him there. That was a reach IMO. Drew Bennett is a solid Wr5.Peyton Manning is consistant, but your overall running game is not. I'm afraid you may lack the firepower combined with consistancy to survive.Grade: C-
I appreciate your objective opinion, good commentary overall.I will defend the Fitz pick all year. He has amazing talent and I believe that it will translate nearly immediately to the NFL. Having an inside connection (Bertrand Berry) with the Cardinals doesn't hurt either. Fitzgerald has been simply awesome in mini camp and barring injury will make a strong play for R.O.Y.If this Faulk rumor pans out (I'm checking with my Faulk contacts right now) then my pick of Steven Jackson will look mighty fine. Either way I feel that Jackson cuts into Faulks touches. It won't be 50/50 like Davis/Foster, but if Jackson at least turns into a TD vulture then he has some value.

Chris Smith:3 solid backs, although I don't agree with Edge at No.6. I really like Charlie Garner as a RB3.McNair and Trent Green are really solid picks, David Carr is insurance, but did you need him there. Because your Wr2 is Rod Smith, that's weak. Instead of Carr, you could have had Amani Toomer, which would have made Rod Smith a Wr3 and Buress a Wr4. Now that I can stomach. Good value in Alstott late I believe.Grade: B
Nice work Cowboy...You obviously don't like the 3rd quarterback in round seven but I do like the strategy. At this point the strategy of taking three starting quarterbacks has been debated back and forth countless times already. In my opinion I have three good quarterbacks with different bye tiers who will always count a minimum of five games out of the six possible. That will really help to maximize my fantasy points during every elimination period. And in addition to that, a couple of the other owners have their backs up against the wall when it comes to quarterbacking play. That was a smart move by the FBG staff and a good move for the strength of my own team.The only other option I would even consider with the quarterback position is to take QB Volek of the Titans in round nineteen. That would also have been a good play here but I like having three quarterbacks to COUNT each week. That is a big plus.I am of the opinion that the Smith's (Jimmy and Rod) are in for very good seasons. Rod because he'll be the first option (sorry Lelie owners) in this offense which is now without McCaffrey, Sharpe and Portis. Rod's experience will prove invaluable this season. Jimmy simply put will be outstanding this year. He wants to remove the stigma of the 2003 season and that can only be done with a tremdendous effort this year. Burress is in a contract year and a ninth round slot is a huge 'value' pick and Galloway could be one of the biggest surprises of the 2004 season, especially with the McCardell situation looking uglier by the week.That said, I really enjoyed reading your commentary on both my and the other owners drafts to this point. You da' man :thumbup:

you don't have mili in your top 20?
Jerramy Stevens.
shhhhhh
Somehow Sandy thinks he has the second best TE combo in his league even though his 2nd TE (Mili) is currently a holdout. Even if he gets his contract demands soon he's got a seriously talented, former number one draft pick ready to pounce in Stevens. You thinking Mili is a top 6 TE is a joke. Maybe top 15 but if Stevens is looking good in camp and Mili isn't budging on contract demands, he's out of the top 25. With a seriously potential injury concern on your other TE Shockey, which you took for no apparent reason before Gonzo in the early 4th round, I wouldn't be bragging here in the least. You got poor value there. Not to mention you compound it with two kickers in back to backs in the 13th and 14th. I hope you're arm isn't getting too tired patting yourself on your back because you'll need it to paddle your way back home in an early elimination. From what I've seen so far, Ward was the only value pick of the bunch at 3.09. Lots of question marks here. I guess you get bonus points for talking your way out of things. Your team is in for an early demise.Big plus is you like the Raiders. :P

Chris Smith:3 solid backs, although I don't agree with Edge at No.6.  I really like Charlie Garner as a RB3.McNair and Trent Green are really solid picks, David Carr is insurance, but did you need him there. Because your Wr2 is Rod Smith, that's weak.  Instead of Carr, you could have had Amani Toomer, which would have made Rod Smith a Wr3 and Buress a Wr4.  Now that I can stomach.  Good value in Alstott late I believe.Grade: B
Nice work Cowboy...You obviously don't like the 3rd quarterback in round seven but I do like the strategy. At this point the strategy of taking three starting quarterbacks has been debated back and forth countless times already. In my opinion I have three good quarterbacks with different bye tiers who will always count a minimum of five games out of the six possible. That will really help to maximize my fantasy points during every elimination period. And in addition to that, a couple of the other owners have their backs up against the wall when it comes to quarterbacking play. That was a smart move by the FBG staff and a good move for the strength of my own team.The only other option I would even consider with the quarterback position is to take QB Volek of the Titans in round nineteen. That would also have been a good play here but I like having three quarterbacks to COUNT each week. That is a big plus.I am of the opinion that the Smith's (Jimmy and Rod) are in for very good seasons. Rod because he'll be the first option (sorry Lelie owners) in this offense which is now without McCaffrey, Sharpe and Portis. Rod's experience will prove invaluable this season. Jimmy simply put will be outstanding this year. He wants to remove the stigma of the 2003 season and that can only be done with a tremdendous effort this year. Burress is in a contract year and a ninth round slot is a huge 'value' pick and Galloway could be one of the biggest surprises of the 2004 season, especially with the McCardell situation looking uglier by the week.That said, I really enjoyed reading your commentary on both my and the other owners drafts to this point. You da' man :thumbup:
Without trying to appear like a "know it all", as I surely don't. I would have taken Billy Valek in round 19 and stengthened up your Wr core. I think McNair and Green are consistant enough at that spot, they're very good. If McNair should get dinged, you'd have Valek who showed last season he can put up fantasy points, shoot even O'Donnell did when he came in, talk about system.

In my best Donald Trump voice...MLevin, you have done a great job so far on the commentary and you are a very knowledgable fantasy guru. However getting those blurbs out for us fanatics to read is very important. If you don't have them done by tonight...YOU'RE FIRED! ;)
I liked smlevin better than Marc Levin - Staff anyways.

BostonFred:I like Portis at 7 and DD as a RB2. You must have been pinching yourself to find Caulpepper there in the middle of the 3rd round, that's ridiculous.
Thank you.
I don't like Moulds as a Wr1 though
I do. I've outlined my reasons above. What I don't understand is why other people DON'T like Moulds. If someone came to me and said, he looks like he hasn't recovered from his groin injury, then yeah, I wouldn't like him as much. If someone came to me and said, Bledsoe looked awful despite having quality receivers to throw to last year, then yeah, I wouldn't like him as much. But seriously, what has he done badly except play through injury? Do people just not realize he was injured? Or not take it into account when evaluating him for this year? Do people think he was bad the year before, when he was a bona fide top 5 WR? Or have people drank the Buffalo-went-in-the-tank-the-tail-end-of-2002 Kool Aid? Because look at his scoring in 2002, when he had 100 receptions for 1287 yards and 10 TDs:8/112/18/86/09/96/18/119/18/112/04/56/13/81/19/123/05/68/04/36/12/245/130/18/63/25/61/05/45/09/75/1and his five pre-injury games in 20034/81/07/133/12/30/08/114/09/99/0What is there not to like about this guy? I just don't get it. Please somebody explain it to me, and please don't just say, I didn't watch a lot of Buffalo games, but once he got hurt, Bledsoe looked bad.
and then IMO you reached on Tatum Bell where you could have supplemented a weaker WR1 with K-Rob or Jimmy Smith, which would have allowed Toomer to be a very strong Wr3.
I would have liked to have been stronger at WR, but I needed a RB3, especially because of the combined byes of Portis/Davis. I still like Portis/Davis better than any combination except possibly Portis/Dillon, but I liked Davis significantly better in this scoring system because he can catch the ball so well, and I have no idea if Dillon is going to be asked to run routes out of the backfield this year. Bell was the best of the RB bunch, IMO, and was going in the 6th in ADP so if I passed on him I thought it was likely I'd lose him. He went about the same time in the other draft, so it looks like I was right. The reason I liked Bell specifically is that, aside from the fact that I think he'll eventually win the job outright, he should be hitting full stride just about the time I need my RB3 to kick in - week 7. One of the things that hurt his value to other people is the thing that increased his value to me. It turns out I may be wrong, and he may not be the guy, but I believed then and I still believe now that he will be given the most opportunity to win the starting job of any of the Denverbacks.
The most important thing about Gonzalez/Winslow is the smoothness of the scoring. There should be very few weeks when the combination scores less than 10 or 15 points, which will give me a big advantage over SOMEONE every week. Stud TE was not my originally planned tactic in this system, and I wouldn't have gone with it if the value hadn't been there at both picks, but once I saw it was there there was no question I had to take it.
Thanks. That's the best grade you gave, but you had to put that minus there, didn't you. Actually, one of your dings on cracKer:
I feel that you could have had the best team if not for that Kurt Warner pick
may have turned out to hurt me, because I was considering Warner in the 8th. He was slipping, and I was looking at him or Boller until cracKer took him in the 8th. I might still have gone Boller, though, because Warner 1) may not have the job the whole season, meaning I'd also have to take Eli or just hope, and 2) plays Green Bay in Lambeau during Culpepper's bye, while Boller plays against KC at home in Baltimore on Monday night the same week. Should be interesting.

Culcasi-I feel that you could have had the best team if not for that Kurt Warner pick and Bryson.Grade: B
If the rumor on Faulk has any merit and Culcasi doesn't get a very productive, full season out of him, his team is an afterthought. The decision to pass on Steven Jackson is a potential death blow to this team.Furthermore, if Faulk doesn't start and Jackson does, it's a significant boon for the MB team. Rebel34 potentially lost a starter in Shipp (if Emmitt hangs on), but might get one back with Steven Jackson.

Jerramy Stevens.
shhhhhh
Somehow Sandy thinks he has the second best TE combo in his league even though his 2nd TE (Mili) is currently a holdout. Even if he gets his contract demands soon he's got a seriously talented, former number one draft pick ready to pounce in Stevens. You thinking Mili is a top 6 TE is a joke. Maybe top 15 but if Stevens is looking good in camp and Mili isn't budging on contract demands, he's out of the top 25. With a seriously potential injury concern on your other TE Shockey, which you took for no apparent reason before Gonzo in the early 4th round, I wouldn't be bragging here in the least. You got poor value there. Not to mention you compound it with two kickers in back to backs in the 13th and 14th. I hope you're arm isn't getting too tired patting yourself on your back because you'll need it to paddle your way back home in an early elimination. From what I've seen so far, Ward was the only value pick of the bunch at 3.09. Lots of question marks here. I guess you get bonus points for talking your way out of things. Your team is in for an early demise.Big plus is you like the Raiders. :P
i thought stevens was going to pounce last year...and the year before that? :sleep: just because you don't agree with my rankings don't make them a "joke". we'll see.i took shockey over gonzo because i have him ranked higher. that is the "apparent reason".not sure what the stick is doing up your ###, but it seems your the only one who thinks i am in for an early demise.we'll see. maybe when you get invited to one of these we can critique your picks. until then... :mellow:

Jerramy Stevens.
shhhhhh
:rotflmao: yeah, real big secret.

stevens = hype

mili = production
Mili = Zero TalentStevens = Upside

When drafting a TE #2 I'll take the upside.
Zero talent = #5 TE in 2003

#13 TE in 2002

Upside =

#71 TE in 2003

#22 TE in 2002

Advantage = Zero talent

:rotflmao:

lmfao at "zero talent" being the 5th best TE last year. i guess when you're the 71st best TE, upside is all you got...really there is no downside.

gb "sharks"...you're always good for a laugh.

a) A guy can have little talent and still put up ff points...Mili is the poster child.b) Stevens' problem has never been his talent, it's been his desire.c) "your always good for a laugh"...were you lauging when I smoked you in Survivor II?? Will you be laughing when I smoke you again in SOSII? :boxing: But go ahead and keep on pimping Mili...he's your boy!1-0 vs. Bagger in competition...or were you sandbagging?

a) A guy can have little talent and still put up ff points...Mili is the poster child.

b) Steven's problem has never been his talent, it's been his desire.

c) "your always good for a laugh"...were you lauging when I smoked you in Survivor II?? Will you be laughing when I smoke you again in SOSII? :boxing:

But go ahead and keep on pimping Mili...he's your boy!

1-0 vs. Bagger in competition...or were you sandbagging?
i didn't know survivor was a "heads up league".i got booted in week 4 last year due to injuries last year...nothing you can do about that. i don't look at the guys who were eliminated in weeks 1-3 as guys i beat. survivor is a different format and the overall best team for the year (i.e. scoring most points) can be eliminated in any one week.

SOSII s/b fun though. :thumbup:

i just think it is funny how if someone has rankings different than fbg.com the sharks lemmings freak out.

for example radballs saying i took shockey over gonzo for no apparent reason. he couldn't even fathom that i had shockey better than gonzo in this format. you get people taking rankings from a conventional system applying them to leagues they know nothing about and are confused why rankings differ...scoring systems determine that. god forbid i actually determine my own rankings and live and die with what i think, not what is spoon fed to me by "experts".

if you think the #71 TE is a legit threat to mili....fine. i disagree and got who i thought was the top TE by far on the board in the 12th, where his ADP is.

btw, where do you see that stevens will suddenly develop the "desire" to become a top TE?

a) A guy can have little talent and still put up ff points...Mili is the poster child.

b) Steven's problem has never been his talent, it's been his desire.

c) "your always good for a laugh"...were you lauging when I smoked you in Survivor II?? Will you be laughing when I smoke you again in SOSII? :boxing:

But go ahead and keep on pimping Mili...he's your boy!

1-0 vs. Bagger in competition...or were you sandbagging?
i didn't know survivor was a "heads up league".i got booted in week 4 last year due to injuries last year...nothing you can do about that. i don't look at the guys who were eliminated in weeks 1-3 as guys i beat. survivor is a different format and the overall best team for the year (i.e. scoring most points) can be eliminated in any one week.

SOSII s/b fun though. :thumbup:

i just think it is funny how if someone has rankings different than fbg.com the sharks lemmings freak out.

for example radballs saying i took shockey over gonzo for no apparent reason. he couldn't even fathom that i had shockey better than gonzo in this format. you get people taking rankings from a conventional system applying them to leagues they know nothing about and are confused why rankings differ...scoring systems determine that. god forbid i actually determine my own rankings and live and die with what i think, not what is spoon fed to me by "experts".

if you think the #71 TE is a legit threat to mili....fine. i disagree and got who i thought was the top TE by far on the board in the 12th, where his ADP is.

btw, where do you see that stevens will suddenly develop the "desire" to become a top TE?
Fair enough. The "I beat you in SII" line never gets old for me, so sorry. I think I've pulled it out like three times on you in the past 2 months. That being said, heaven help you if I beat you again in SOSII :P Truth be told, I'm not touching either one of these guys in either league and mostly because of the reasons I've already hinted at. I believe Stevens has immense talent and is a legitimate threat to Mili's production. I aslo believe Holmgren thinks this as well and would rather play Stevens. I think he's making Stevens earn his stripes/pull his head out of his ### but will eventually start making him a significant part of the offense.

You won't see either of these guys on my squads. Stevens costed me some TE production last year in SII and I hold grudges.

Fair enough. The "I beat you in SII" line never gets old for me, so sorry. I think I've pulled it out like three times on you in the past 2 months. That being said, heaven help you if I beat you again in SOSII :P
I'll jump out there and say it. It was mostly luck that I survived as long as I did in Survivor II.Not that there isn't any skill involved. But in SII, all skill did was keep you even with the pack because everyone was at the same level.

just because you don't agree with my rankings don't make them a "joke". we'll see.i took shockey over gonzo because i have him ranked higher. that is the "apparent reason".not sure what the stick is doing up your ###, but it seems your the only one who thinks i am in for an early demise.we'll see. maybe when you get invited to one of these we can critique your picks. until then... :mellow:
So, on the one hand you praise yourself for having the fortitude to go with your "own" rankings, but if someone goes against the grain and finds something wrong with some of your picks, they have a stick up their ###. :rolleyes: Take it easy. Just one person's opinions. ;)

just because you don't agree with my rankings don't make them a "joke". we'll see.i took shockey over gonzo because i have him ranked higher. that is the "apparent reason".not sure what the stick is doing up your ###, but it seems your the only one who thinks i am in for an early demise.we'll see. maybe when you get invited to one of these we can critique your picks. until then... :mellow:
So, on the one hand you praise yourself for having the fortitude to go with your "own" rankings, but if someone goes against the grain and finds something wrong with some of your picks, they have a stick up their ###. :rolleyes: Take it easy. Just one person's opinions. ;)
i have no problem with you disagreeing with my picks, it was more of the tone of me taking shockey over gonzo "for no apparent reason" and you thinking i'm overly patting myself on the back.i think i am in the top 1/2 of this league...sorry if i shouldn't admit that.

"No surprise there in my mind.Other than Bfred and myself, I felt a few of the MBers were in over their head through this point of the draft in this league. There seemed to be a lot of reacting instead of being proactive.No shock that the two MBers who weren't played in Survivor II last year. That experience definitely helped me in this draft and feel that my team is head and shoulders above my SII team from last year." SandbaggerIt sounds like you are saying top two of the MBers, but maybe I'm reading that incorrectly. I apologize for my tone earlier. With regard to Shockey, he could be great but with the problems with his foot, I felt that Gonzo was a no brainer pick over him. I could be wrong though.

I don't think it's a big deal that Shockey was taken before Gonzo. I wouldn't do it but Shockey could have a huge year if his foot is good to go.My point Sandbagger about Mili isn't that you have him so highly rated, you're entitled to that. However, my question to you is do you feel like someone else behind you drafting in the next 12 picks was going to take him. My guess is that they weren't. I just felt that you could have got "Your Guy" a round or two later as I think you're in the minority of having Mili ranked so highly, that's all.For example, I think Andre Johnson is going to have a very good year, but I'm not going to take him WR4 when I can get him at WR 13, you know what I'm saying.Either way it's not the end all, you didn't blow your draft because of it, just kind of like a pimple on a pretty face.

Link to commentary
The page cannot be found The page you are looking for might have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------Please try the following:If you typed the page address in the Address bar, make sure that it is spelled correctly.Open the www.footballguys.com home page, and then look for links to the information you want. Click the Back button to try another link. Click Search to look for information on the Internet. HTTP 404 - File not found
:confused:

I don't think it's a big deal that Shockey was taken before Gonzo. I wouldn't do it but Shockey could have a huge year if his foot is good to go.

My point Sandbagger about Mili isn't that you have him so highly rated, you're entitled to that. However, my question to you is do you feel like someone else behind you drafting in the next 12 picks was going to take him. My guess is that they weren't. I just felt that you could have got "Your Guy" a round or two later as I think you're in the minority of having Mili ranked so highly, that's all.

For example, I think Andre Johnson is going to have a very good year, but I'm not going to take him WR4 when I can get him at WR 13, you know what I'm saying.

Either way it's not the end all, you didn't blow your draft because of it, just kind of like a pimple on a pretty face.
Mili's ADP was 13.12 at the time of the draft. I took him at 12.04.Considering my next pick was not until 13.09 I thought waiting until then was pushing it, especially given the fact that quite a few people needed to shore up TEs. Two TEs were taken in between my 12th and 13th round picks, and if I did not take Mili he could have been one of the two, or someone who didn't select a TE might have grabbed him.

I thought waiting on someone who I thought represented great value in backing up my TE spot was critical at my 12th round pick. I wanted to go mini-stud at TE giving me great depth just in case Shockey's foot injury does come back to haunt him, but moreso, to give me two viable starting TEs every week.

Could I have waited one more round to grab Mili? Maybe. But I wanted to go K/K in the 13th and 14th and I knew there would be viable options there and grabbing a K in the 12th was out of the question. If I went WR that meant I could only grab 1 kicker in the 13 and 14th rounds (my side of the draft turn) so I would not be assured 2 stud kickers as I'd have to wait a significant amount of time if a kicker run happened to get my 2nd kicker.

Essentially, everything pointed to me grabbing Mili in the 12, two great kickers in the 13th and 14th, and rounding out my team in the last 4 rounds.

As you can see, not taking a TE in the 12th really would screw up my strategy at that point.

I don't think it's a big deal that Shockey was taken before Gonzo. I wouldn't do it but Shockey could have a huge year if his foot is good to go.

My point Sandbagger about Mili isn't that you have him so highly rated, you're entitled to that. However, my question to you is do you feel like someone else behind you drafting in the next 12 picks was going to take him. My guess is that they weren't. I just felt that you could have got "Your Guy" a round or two later as I think you're in the minority of having Mili ranked so highly, that's all.

For example, I think Andre Johnson is going to have a very good year, but I'm not going to take him WR4 when I can get him at WR 13, you know what I'm saying.

Either way it's not the end all, you didn't blow your draft because of it, just kind of like a pimple on a pretty face.
Mili's ADP was 13.12 at the time of the draft. I took him at 12.04.Considering my next pick was not until 13.09 I thought waiting until then was pushing it, especially given the fact that quite a few people needed to shore up TEs. Two TEs were taken in between my 12th and 13th round picks, and if I did not take Mili he could have been one of the two, or someone who didn't select a TE might have grabbed him.

I thought waiting on someone who I thought represented great value in backing up my TE spot was critical at my 12th round pick. I wanted to go mini-stud at TE giving me great depth just in case Shockey's foot injury does come back to haunt him, but moreso, to give me two viable starting TEs every week.

Could I have waited one more round to grab Mili? Maybe. But I wanted to go K/K in the 13th and 14th and I knew there would be viable options there and grabbing a K in the 12th was out of the question. If I went WR that meant I could only grab 1 kicker in the 13 and 14th rounds (my side of the draft turn) so I would not be assured 2 stud kickers as I'd have to wait a significant amount of time if a kicker run happened to get my 2nd kicker.

Essentially, everything pointed to me grabbing Mili in the 12, two great kickers in the 13th and 14th, and rounding out my team in the last 4 rounds.

As you can see, not taking a TE in the 12th really would screw up my strategy at that point.
Sounds like you had a plan. Well, if Mili has a good year, I'll know who expected it that's for sure.

I don't think it's a big deal that Shockey was  taken before Gonzo.  I wouldn't do it but Shockey could have a huge year if his foot is good to go.

My point Sandbagger about Mili isn't that you have him so highly rated, you're entitled to that. However, my question to you is do you feel like someone else behind you drafting in the next 12 picks was going to take him.  My guess is that they weren't.  I just felt that you could have got "Your Guy" a round or two later as I think you're in the minority of having Mili ranked so highly, that's all.

Sounds like you had a plan. Well, if Mili has a good year, I'll know who expected it that's for sure.
If this was a redraft league I would have waited one more round and gambled on Mili being there and grabbing a WR in the 12th.I wouldn't need the assurance of two stud kickers or if Mili wasn't there I could grab someone else later in the draft or on the waiver wire.

With the Survivor format I sacrificed value (perhaps) to ensure to get my guy one round before his ADP.

In my best Donald Trump voice...MLevin, you have done a great job so far on the commentary and you are a very knowledgable fantasy guru. However getting those blurbs out for us fanatics to read is very important. If you don't have them done by tonight...YOU'RE FIRED! ;)
Anticipation is the cornerstone of a good writer - keep 'em aching for more.Seriously - I will be the first to admit I "slacked" on getting my commentary to David this week, but it has been for good reason.The past week or so, I have been pretty much me under a bridge treading water at work - keep your pants on, the commentary will be with David presently.

Culcasi-I feel that you could have had the best team if not for that Kurt Warner pick and Bryson.Grade: B
If the rumor on Faulk has any merit and Culcasi doesn't get a very productive, full season out of him, his team is an afterthought. The decision to pass on Steven Jackson is a potential death blow to this team.Furthermore, if Faulk doesn't start and Jackson does, it's a significant boon for the MB team. Rebel34 potentially lost a starter in Shipp (if Emmitt hangs on), but might get one back with Steven Jackson.
Yep-yep-yep.Why did I pass on Jackson in the 10th round? That's when I had targetted him in my mind after drafting Faulk and I didn't follow through. That one might hurt.

i have no problem with you disagreeing with my picks, it was more of the tone of me taking shockey over gonzo "for no apparent reason" and you thinking i'm overly patting myself on the back.i think i am in the top 1/2 of this league...sorry if i shouldn't admit that.
The only question I'd raise about the pick is that I have hard time envisioning (at the time of the draft), having Shockey that much further ahead of Gonzo that given the injury concern, he'd seem the better pick.

The only question I'd raise about the pick is that I have hard time envisioning (at the time of the draft), having Shockey that much further ahead of Gonzo that given the injury concern, he'd seem the better pick.
true, i did not have shockey significantly higher than gonzo.however, i feel shockey's foot will be good by the beginning of the season. if not, then i'll pay for it.i did not want to pick the 2nd best TE just because of maybe an injury happening...remember gonzo was not the picture of health last year, and hurt my team early on with his slow start. gonzo could get injured again. this was why i picked mili...my backup TEs to gonzo last year were brutal and lack of depth killed me (along with the fact that i had two backups wasting a roster spot).

i did not want to pick the 2nd best TE just because of maybe an injury happening...remember gonzo was not the picture of health last year, and hurt my team early on with his slow start. gonzo could get injured again.
I'm wondering if last year's experience of his slow start contributing to your early demise affected your personal rankings of him despite the great season he later put up. Not trying to be a jerk at all here, just curious. I mean, great players are just as likely to start out slow as they are to come out of the gate strong aren't they?

I guess my question more is that I understand how people hold grudges against certain players ( Burress was not nice to me last year) over a certain season, but do they tend to do that within a given week if said player underperforms in one given week leading to your elimination. This is directed to anyone else as well that has experience in the survivor format not necessarily Sandbagger.

i did not want to pick the 2nd best TE just because of maybe an injury happening...remember gonzo was not the picture of health last year, and hurt my team early on with his slow start. gonzo could get injured again.
I'm wondering if last year's experience of his slow start contributing to your early demise affected your personal rankings of him despite the great season he later put up. Not trying to be a jerk at all here, just curious. I mean, great players are just as likely to start out slow as they are to come out of the gate strong aren't they?
I was wondering the same thing.We're not talking about considering a player more risky because of the possibility of an injury happening. We're talking about considering a player more risky because the injury already happened and may not be healed properly by the start of the season.I don't buy a "Gonzo could get hurt too" line of reasoning. Both players have an equal likelihood, if they play, of getting hurt. Shockey just has the added likelihood of that he won't play because of the existing injury. No way you slice it, Shockey is a riskier pick.While I think people who pick Moss 2nd overall because WRs are safer than RBs are going too far with averting risk, I think this situation is a poster child for where someone should mitigate risk by going with the safer pick.

i did not want to pick the 2nd best TE just because of maybe an injury happening...remember gonzo was not the picture of health last year, and hurt my team early on with his slow start.  gonzo could get injured again.
I normally take a look at the big picture. Did the player just get off to a slow start and did well the rest of the way, and was I just a victim of bad luck/bad week? Or did they just suck the whole year? Questions like that are what helps drive me the next year.Any player can suck it up on any given Sunday. Traditionally, week one is a very slow week for all teams, because they are still shaking the rust off (sometimes even week two). So we MAY see a tough team, one that many thought would make it far in this survivor challenge, get knocked out week one due to certain players sucking in week one. *shrug* Who knows? :hophead:

As far as comparing the health of Jeremy Shockey to Tony Gonzalez, remember that Gonzalez has a stress fracture of some sort that's been bothering him lately, as well. In fact, I don't believe he's taken part in any of the mini-camps or anything, but I'm not sure of that (I know he did miss the earlier activities this offseason). Also, I believe it was very telling when they drafted TE Kris Wilson in the 2nd round when they needed so much help on the other side of the ball. The same foot bothered Gonzo most of last year. Anyway, I think it's far from clear how healthy Gonzalez will be this season. I'm surprised more people aren't talking about it. Anyone have a take on Gonzo's foot?

ZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzCan we release the rest of the rounds?Any chance of some Levin commentary this week? :shock:

Users who are viewing this thread