What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Official Staff/Messageboard Survivor Thread (1 Viewer)

ZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzCan we release the rest of the rounds?Any chance of some Levin commentary this week? :shock:
Pants on, commentary on 11-14 to be released today/night, possibly along with the rest of the draft. BnB is done completely with commentary for league one, I am the hold up.I have one document to be created today after work re: the rest of the draft - it will be one document with rounds 14-20 commentary, so expect those comments to be slight, since you guys were fillling in pieces and kickers - and my GRADES will be the real commentary in that document.

i did not want to pick the 2nd best TE just because of maybe an injury happening...remember gonzo was not the picture of health last year, and hurt my team early on with his slow start.  gonzo could get injured again.
I'm wondering if last year's experience of his slow start contributing to your early demise affected your personal rankings of him despite the great season he later put up. Not trying to be a jerk at all here, just curious. I mean, great players are just as likely to start out slow as they are to come out of the gate strong aren't they?
good question.that didn't play into my rankings of putting shockey ahead of gonzo, but may have prevented me from taking a slightly lower ranked gonzo over shockey due to shockey's injury concerns.at the end of the day, i think shockey will perform better than gonzo, but i did have a bad taste in my mouth from spending a high draft pick last year on gonzo last year and him not performing early in the season.

I guess my question more is that I understand how people hold grudges against certain players ( Burress was not nice to me last year) over a certain season, but do they tend to do that within a given week if said player underperforms in one given week leading to your elimination. This is directed to anyone else as well that has experience in the survivor format not necessarily Sandbagger.
definitely not a grudge. i don't do that. when i do my projections it is by team and i do not look at the rankings until they are all done...this often leads to some surprises.as i said in another thread, in typical scoring leagues i have gonzo #1, shockey #2 and would draft them in that order. however, with the 2 point per reception shockey got the edge.i would never let something like a grudge prevent me from taking a higher ranked player according to my projections.

Sinrman, am I seeing that right that you only selected 1 defense? With a week 3 bye?! Yikes!Hopefully for your team's sake, this is an oversight.

My final team:03.07 QB Daunte Culpepper Min/4 17.07 QB Gus Frerotte Min/4 08.06 QB Kyle Boller Bal/6 01.07 RB Clinton Portis Was/7 02.06 RB Domanick Davis Hou/7 06.06 RB Tatum Bell Den/10 10.06 RB Onterrio Smith Min/4 20.06 RB Michael Pittman TB/8 05.07 WR Eric Moulds Buf/3 07.07 WR Amani Toomer NYG/6 11.07 WR Roy Williams Det/4 12.06 WR Reggie Williams Jac/9 16.06 WR Dennis Northcutt Cle/8 04.06 TE Tony Gonzalez KC/5 09.07 TE Kellen Winslow Cle/8 13.07 PK Jeff Wilkins StL/8 14.06 PK Jay Feely Atl/9 15.07 Def Buffalo Bills Buf/3 18.06 Def Oakland Raiders Oak/10 19.07 Def New Orleans Saints NO/8 I believe I have one of the best RB combos in the league, and the best TE and PK combos by far. I have three solid Ds that should score well together. I'd put my receivers in the middle of the pack, although I like Moulds a lot. My QB position went from being a strength to being just a solid position because of my backups to Culpepper, but I should have enough depth at the position to survive injury and bye weeks. In short, I'm at or near the top at four starting positions (RB1, RB2, TE, PK), and middle or better at the other five (WR1-3, QB, D). This team is a winner.

My final squad...Chris Smith 04.07 QB Steve McNair Ten/9 05.06 QB Trent Green KC/5 07.06 QB David Carr Hou/7 01.06 RB Edgerrin James Ind/6 02.07 RB Michael Bennett Min/4 03.06 RB Charlie Garner TB/8 14.07 RB Mike Alstott TB/8 17.06 RB Tony Hollings Hou/7 06.07 WR Jimmy Smith Jac/9 08.07 WR Rod Smith Den/10 09.06 WR Plaxico Burress Pit/7 11.06 WR Joey Galloway TB/8 18.07 WR Corey Bradford Hou/7 19.06 WR Travis Taylor Bal/6 12.07 TE Bubba Franks GB/9 15.06 TE Daniel Graham NE/3 16.07 PK John Carney NO/8 20.07 PK Doug Brien NYJ/3 10.07 Def Baltimore Ravens Bal/6 13.06 Def Tennessee Titans Ten/9 My quarterback trio is outstanding. All have different bye week tiers allowing me to count points in a minimum of five games each elimination period. I am higher on David Carr than most as he is going to be much stronger in 2004 and Green/McNair = money in the bank.I am strong enough at running back and could be great if both Bennett and Garner touch the ball as much as I am anticipating.I started late at receiver but when it is all said and done, I think my 6 guys at the position are all playmakers capable of big games. I'll be in good shape here and great if late picks Galloway, Taylor and Bradford play like I believe they will.Tight end isn't glamourous but neither is it a weakness. Both Franks and Graham are capable of elevating their play in 2004.Kickers are kickers to me and I have two that should be guaranteed to get a lot of chances in their respective offenses.My goal originally was to select three defenses but with the Ravens/Titans already on board, I felt it more critical to get both a 5th RB and a 6th WR.Overall I love my depth at each position and feel I am poised for a run at this thing with some good luck. There are a number of good teams on both the staff and MB side capable of winning it all.

My team:05.08 QB Tom Brady NE/3 06.05 QB Jake Plummer Den/10 07.08 QB Tim Rattay SF/7 01.08 RB Jamal Lewis Bal/6 03.08 RB Curtis Martin NYJ/3 09.08 RB Correll Buckhalter Phi/5 10.05 RB Moe Williams Min/4 02.05 WR Torry Holt StL/8 04.05 WR Derrick Mason Ten/9 08.05 WR Marty Booker Chi/5 11.08 WR Jerry Rice Oak/10 12.05 WR Andre' Davis Cle/8 20.05 WR Kevin Dyson SD/10 13.08 TE Desmond Clark Chi/5 15.08 TE Jason Witten Dal/4 14.05 PK Matt Stover Bal/6 16.05 PK Martin Gramatica TB/8 17.08 Def Green Bay Packers GB/9 18.05 Def Chicago Bears Chi/5 19.08 Def San Diego Chargers SD/10 Slow but steady wins the race. I think I managed my bye weeks pretty well, and I got a lot of guys who should be relatively consistent.

My team:6.08 Byron Leftwich3.05 Peyton Manning14.08 Phillip Rivers1.05 Shaun Alexander7.05 DeShaun Foster10.08 Steven Jackson15.05 Maurice Morris2.08 Marcel Shipp12.08 Drew Bennett16.08 Lee Evans8.08 Larry Fitzgerald5.05 Andre Johnson9.05 Jerry Porter4.08 Steve Smith11.05 Freddie Jones18.08 Ben Troupe17.05 Kris Brown13.05 Adam Vinatieri20.08 Arizona Cardinals D19.05 Atlanta Falcons DQB is solid and consistent.RB has one superstar and a potential top 15 back or two. Obviously need the Shipp, Jackson, Foster situations to go my way. Maurice Morris is a handcuff in case of emergency with Shaun Alexander. WR is solid, yet unspectacular. I've taken heat for the Fitz pick, but I think he will outperform those mentioned that I "should've" taken (Key, Boston, Bruce). I didn't want to take 2 rookie WR's, but felt that where I drafted Evans I got considerable value. His injury history is a little scary. Drew Bennett could provide a big week or two. TE averageK good, AV is one of the best, and Kris Brown should bet plenty of FG opportunities this year.D below average. If some players rise to the occasion then they'll be middle of the pack D's.OVERALL: B-

MARSHALL FAULK UPDATE:Faulk attended the John Elway Classic Golf Tournament this last weekned here in Denver. AM 760 THE ZONE was covering the tournament and my executive producer John Turk got to meet Faulk and BS with him and Elway. Marshall did not want to go on the air and talk about the knee. However, he did say that he was working hard and will see how it goes in camp. Turk noted that his swing looked awesome :whocares: and that he was walking with a slight limp. Also, I contacted Adam Timmerman via phone and he repeated the same ole "Jackson will back up Faulk" line. I have a long standing contact with Adam's dad and will dig further to see if this is just the "company line."AND YES... I am kicking myself in the ### for not taking up Turk's offer to attend the golf tournament! GD honey do list!! :rant: :rant:

AND YES... I am kicking myself in the ### for not taking up Turk's offer to attend the golf tournament! GD honey do list!! :rant: :rant:
Ohhh man......... just damn, man....... just damn... :bag:

My final team:

RB LaDainian Tomlinson SD/10

WR Chad Johnson Cin/5

WR Terrell Owens Phi/5

RB Warrick Dunn Atl/9

WR Darrell Jackson Sea/4

QB Drew Bledsoe Buf/3

QB Joey Harrington Det/4

WR David Boston Mia/10

TE Alge Crumpler Atl/9

TE Randy McMichael Mia/10

Def Carolina Panthers Car/3

RB Anthony Thomas Chi/5

PK Mike Vanderjagt Ind/6

RB Lamont Jordan NYJ/3

RB Chris Perry Cin/5

RB Artose Pinner Det/4

RB Labrandon Toefield Jac/9

QB Drew Brees SD/10

PK Paul Edinger Chi/5

WR Bobby Engram Sea/4

So for QB I have Bledsoe, Harrington, and Brees. Mmmmm, not real great, but not the end of the world. Definitely one of the weakest in the entire challenge. But as I have said before, if I can get some respectable points out of these three, then I'm not going to sweat it much. The bad thing is, if Bledsoe and Harrington fall back into their funk like last year, they are both capable of throwing up stinkers the same weak, which is noooooooooooot good. Overall I give myself a :thumbdown:

At RB, in the end, I'm not worrying AS much about it as before. Tomlinson, wellllllll I don't think much needs to be said about this phenom. If Dunn can stay healthy, I think I will get great value out of him, especially for where I got him. The 1 pt/reception rule should definitely make up a bit for the loss of TDs he will likely experience at the hands of Duckett. The rest, though mostly backups, all have a chance of getting a share of the carries/goal line carries this year. Perry may be used from time to time to see if he can hack it in the NFL, and also so the Bengals can see if they need to pony up some serious $$ for Rudi Johnson next year or not. Pinner was a bit of a stretch, but I think he'll get some carries here and there as Jones gets the hang of things. Toefield.... welllllll, as I have mentioned, he was a mistake pick. Hopefully he sneaks in and gets some carries behind Freddy Taylor, and hopefully Greg Jones will be used sparingly as he gets acclimated to the NFL. Overall though I give myself a :thumbdown:

Well, after two thumbsdowns, I had to make up for it somewhere, right? Well, here it begins, thankfully. I passed on a RB at the 2.12/3.01 turn, and I guess I will be a great trial case during the season and will be watched carefully to see if it's a bad move, or one that could actually work out ok. Johnson and Owens hopefully will turn out beautifully, and should indeed put up some nice points for me. The bye week problem could very well do me in though. As I've said before, if I can get over the week 3, 4, and 5 hump and still be in it, I think I have a great chance. D Jax is one I've liked since he was a rookie, and probably took him a bit early. But there's NO WAY he would have lasted until 6.12, and he's one I definitely wanted on my team. I have a great feeling about him this year. The argument could be that I should have taken a QB at 5.01, and as I said in my commentary, I very nearly did (could have had Brooks or Bulger). That hurt, in that I was stuck with Harrington/Bledsoe. But again, this will be another thing watched very closely. Finally, I think Boston and Engram were nice value picks for where I got them. These five, I think, gives me one of the top WR groups (if not the best overall) in the whole challenge. Therefore, I give myself a :thumbup:

Now I am one who has preached on and on about not taking a TE too early. I am not one who will EVER take a Gonzalez, Shockey, Heap, or Winslow in the 3rd, 4th, or 5th rounds. Even though the 2 pt/reception rule helps TEs a ton, I still think that's too early. Though the news of McMichaels' woes are troubling, I REALLY like my duo of Crumpler and McMichael. I think overall it's one of the best duos in the entire league. Therefore, I'd give myself another :thumbup:

At Kicker, I've Vanderjagt and Edinger. Vandy... well, what can you say? He was absolutely perfect last year. NO ONE expected that. I expect him to not be perfect, but still throw up a lot of points for me. He's also quite consistent, which is a big plus. With the scoring system in this league, I was targeting either him, Wilkins (for the many XPs he gets), or Elam (for the booming FGs he nails time and again, which is huge with scoring like we have). At 13.01, I didn't think I could wait any longer for one of the top kickers, so I went ahead and grabbed Vandy. Truth be told, I almost took Elam. He actually went to a rival high school of mine and graduated the same year as me ('93), so I have seen him even before the pros. That guy can kick! Finally, Edinger should help fill in nicely from time to time if needed. Overall a :thumbup:

Finally, at Defense, I saw Baltimore and New England go right before me, and I was afraid there was about to be a huge run on defenses. Carolina did excellent last season, and with the scoring system we have in this league, the points/yards allowed should be worth some nice points each week for me at this position. Though I would have gone with Baltimore or New England, I was overall quite happy with Carolina. The only thing that hurts here, is that because of my screwup with Toefield at 17.01, I was only able to grab one defense. Week 3 may be trouble for me. But overall I think I should get a :thumbup:

So, I do have weakspots, as does just about everyone. I like my team. If I can squeak through weeks 3, 4, and 5, I think I have a real chance...

Sinrman, why couldn't you have taken another defense? Were they all gone by the time you looked? To me, this is a huge blunder.

Sinrman -I'm going to be harsh here (as I'm sure others will be with my team), but don't hold it against me.QB:The Bills are aiming to run 500 times this year with Travis and Willis. That does not leave much left for available plays in the passing game. I'm not high on Bledsoe anyway, and Brees might not even be starting. That leaves Harrington in my book, and an off week by him would be a potential problem.RB:LT is great, no doubt. But the other guys will likely not get much work to start the year. If Dunn is still banged up to start the year, I doubt that any of the other backs will get 10 carries each week.WR:All solid, not an issue.TE:Should be fine.K:Vandy was great last year, but kickers are up and down. I doubt he produces at that level again. Still not a bad combo, but I think the overall advantage here will be less than you think.DEF:One defense could be fatal. Carolina is also pretty overrated. They were ranked in the middle of the pack over the second part of last year.So the $64,000 question will be can LT and your WR make up for short comings in your QB, RB2, and DEF slots.

Sinrman, why couldn't you have taken another defense? Were they all gone by the time you looked? To me, this is a huge blunder.
Read my 17.01 commentary, and you'll see my blunder. :wall: THAT, my friends, was a rookie mistake. But hey, I'll be the first to admit it...

Sinrman -I'm going to be harsh here (as I'm sure others will be with my team), but don't hold it against me.QB:The Bills are aiming to run 500 times this year with Travis and Willis. That does not leave much left for available plays in the passing game. I'm not high on Bledsoe anyway, and Brees might not even be starting. That leaves Harrington in my book, and an off week by him would be a potential problem.RB:LT is great, no doubt. But the other guys will likely not get much work to start the year. If Dunn is still banged up to start the year, I doubt that any of the other backs will get 10 carries each week.WR:All solid, not an issue.TE:Should be fine.K:Vandy was great last year, but kickers are up and down. I doubt he produces at that level again. Still not a bad combo, but I think the overall advantage here will be less than you think.DEF:One defense could be fatal. Carolina is also pretty overrated. They were ranked in the middle of the pack over the second part of last year.So the $64,000 question will be can LT and your WR make up for short comings in your QB, RB2, and DEF slots.
Nah David, that's fair criticism. You said a lot of what I did about my own team. QBs overall are weak. RBs after LT (and maybe Dunn) are overall weak. WRs are good, as are TEs. You and I differ on Vanderjagt, though. First, as I stated in my commentary, I was afraid of a run on kickers soon, and I wanted to nab a top kicker. Sure, they go up and down and are hard to predict. But the top kickers (I rank Vandy, Wilkins, Elam, and Vinatieri as being the "top kickers") have all been quite consistent over the last several years. I like consistency, as does every fantasy owner. Since I was afraid of a run (and looking back, it seems I was right in thinking it, seeing as to how a ton of kickers went right after my pick), I had to take one when I did, and why not take the "perfect" kicker? I don't expect him to be perfect again this year, but he plays in a high powered offense and should get many opportunities again this year.As for defense. Yes, the early bye week will certainly hurt, and may very well do me in. We'll see. If it does, well, hopefully others on this board learn what NOT to do in the future! ;) But if I can get past that, Carolina was one of the top defenses last year. As I said in my commentary after picking them, they gave up 30+ points only ONCE during the regular season last year, and in this scoring system we are under, that means consistent points there each week. As should the low yards allowed each week. I would have liked Baltimore or NE, as I mentioned, but hey, I was happy with Carolina.

Read my 17.01 commentary, and you'll see my blunder. :wall: THAT, my friends, was a rookie mistake. But hey, I'll be the first to admit it...
Nice to see somebody is admitting to their mistakes... cough staff cough.

Sinrman, why couldn't you have taken another defense?  Were they all gone by the time you looked?  To me, this is a huge blunder.
Nice to see somebody is admitting to their mistakes... cough staff cough.
If you had seen me when I made my big blunder, you probably woulda called the cops, seeing as to how I nearly put my fist through my monitor after realizing what happened.... DOH! :X :yucky: :wall:

AND YES... I am kicking myself in the ### for not taking up Turk's offer to attend the golf tournament! GD honey do list!! :rant: :rant:
Ohhh man......... just damn, man....... just damn... :bag:
Damn is right!especially since I've followed Marshall since his 2nd game @ SDSU (v. Pacific 386yds, 7td's--I have the Sportscenter recorded from that game) :( :bag:

PART A: CAROLINA'S DEFENSECarolina ranked as the #9 defense in the Survivor scoring system last year. Their weekly scoring output was 8, 4, 13, 9, 6, 3, 10, 3, 11, 17, 3, 8, 7, 14, 13, and 34.Just for a comparison, NE scored 20+ points 5 times and Baltimore did it 6 times.PART B: MIKE VANDERJAGTVandy scored 157 NFL points last year. The year before he had 103. The last kicker to go an entire season without missing a kick (at least in the regular season) was Gary Anderson in Minnesota. He scored 164 NFL points that year . . . and 103 the next.I'm not saying that Vanderjagt is going to fall flat on his face, but even if he is a top kicker again, he would probably be a lot closer to the pack in terms of scoring.

Why would anyone pre-draft in a live draft? Seriously, if you need a beer, need to take a leak, or need to reset the SOS for away, turf games out of conference in the draft dominator, do what the staff does, just make everyone wait. :D

Why would anyone pre-draft in a live draft? Seriously, if you need a beer, need to take a leak, or need to reset the SOS for away, turf games out of conference in the draft dominator, do what the staff does, just make everyone wait. :D
If you were a part of that draft, you would have been worried about falling asleep... Oi! I think THAT was the secret staff strategy -- LULL THEM TO SLEEP! :P

IMO, you should have ditched the third QB. Esp. when that turned into Brees, who is likely to be ion thebench on the off chance you need him. He is still a zero whether or not he plays and an early bye at D (and a for sure zero) could REALLY kill you in this format.You will be beyond lucky to survive weeks 3 and 4, and I downgraded you an entire grade for making three major draft gaffes (CJohn and TO on the same bye, the one D on a week 3 bye gaffe, and the Toefield/Pinner/Engram thing.

You will be beyond lucky to survive weeks 3 and 4, and I downgraded you an entire grade for making three major draft gaffes (CJohn and TO on the same bye, the one D on a week 3 bye gaffe, and the Toefield/Pinner/Engram thing.
:popcorn:

Last edited by a moderator:
19.10 (226 ) - RB Tyrone Wheatley (Oak/10) - David YudkinI can't believe you got him in the 19th round. Wheatley was actually the reason I took Torry Holt over Corey Dillon in the second round: I was fairly sure I would be able to get Wheatley in the 10th, and the difference between Dillon and Wheatley would be smaller than the difference between Holt and, say, Quincy Morgan or Brandon Lloyd.As things turned out, there were RBs I liked better in the 10th than Wheatley (I grabbed Moe Williams there). But I still think he would have been a nice value in the 10th, and he is outstanding value in the 19th.

20.03 (231 ) - RB Troy Hambrick (Oak/10) - David YudkinThis pick, on the other hand, was weak.I've seen Hambrick play. He's not good.

Him and Travis Taylor. taylor went a buttload of picks after Keving Johnson and he is presumptively still the number one receiver on the team.
Well, Kevin Johnson was better than Travis Taylor last year, and throughout his career.Kevin Dyson on the other hand . . . he went after both the Baltimore receivers, and he's definitely the clear #1 WR on his team. (Also, as bad as the Chargers' passing offense is, it's still better than the Ravens'.)

Out of league 2 per the grades given out by the commentary it looks like at best the message board will send 2 guys to the merge.

It's a little scary that out of the 6 drafters that scored A- or higher that 4 are staff. Bostonfred must get through week 4 with Boller being his only QB although Grouse has a poor looking week 4 as well, so if Grouse is still around Bfred might be able to beat him out.

My only weekly concern is week 3 with 3 of my 6 WRs on bye, although it is the worst of my 3. However, Rebel34 is playing without a defense that week so I am hoping he survives long enough to week 3 so I can outscore him there. If Rebel34 gets booted in weeks 1 or 2 I will have to have a good week from my other positions.

I thought the commentary was great. Pretty much spot on. I don't have quite the love for cracKer's team that Marc does but it is one of the best. There is definitely two tiers in this league of 6 and 6 with all the teams within those tiers very closely matched.

Unfortunately for the message board I'm thinking there will be some bowing out early and often in league 2.

19.10 (226 ) - RB Tyrone Wheatley (Oak/10) - David Yudkin
SOD
Him and Travis Taylor. taylor went a buttload of picks after Keving Johnson and he is presumptively still the number one receiver on the team.
Oh yeah - WHEATLEY!!
I don't quite see the love for Wheatley that some others do. Being a Raider fan I have never been impressed with him and always thought he got too much playing time when him and Kaufman were splitting time.I think Z will end up the "starter" although it should come as no surprise that there will be a lot of splitting of carries between Z, Wheatley, and Fargas (with Crockett stealing some goalline touches).Even though Turner likes the big pounding back, talent wins out. Just like Dayne will not get a sniff in NY against the talent of Tiki, Dayne will not be the prominant starter over Z. Z's talent should come through.Hambrick won't even be on the team by the time the year starts.

Well, Kevin Johnson was better than Travis Taylor last year, and throughout his career.Kevin Dyson on the other hand . . . he went after both the Baltimore receivers, and he's definitely the clear #1 WR on his team. (Also, as bad as the Chargers' passing offense is, it's still better than the Ravens'.)
Reche Caldwell isn't their starting WR1?

19.10 (226 ) - RB Tyrone Wheatley (Oak/10) - David Yudkin
SOD
Oh yeah - WHEATLEY!!
I don't quite see the love for Wheatley that some others do. Being a Raider fan I have never been impressed with him and always thought he got too much playing time when him and Kaufman were splitting time.I think Z will end up the "starter" although it should come as no surprise that there will be a lot of splitting of carries between Z, Wheatley, and Fargas (with Crockett stealing some goalline touches).Even though Turner likes the big pounding back, talent wins out. Just like Dayne will not get a sniff in NY against the talent of Tiki, Dayne will not be the prominant starter over Z. Z's talent should come through.Hambrick won't even be on the team by the time the year starts.
I agree - but with the recent reports that Wheatley is running well and that Turner seems to really like him, I started in the later part of the commentary to have a "never too early for Kyle Boller" theme running in my commentary for someone to pick Wheatley, so . . . Also, I am not over enthused by Yudkin's overkill with Hambrick - seems the smarter move there may have been to go Wheatley plus Fargas - but, you know, Hambrick had JUST been signed by the Raiders when the draft occurred and it looked like that was truly an either/or proposition. I gave him a strong benefit of the doubt on the call.Since I had already graded Culcasi out to an A+, he took no regressive steps, and he improved his team with some really good late round poickups, I couldn't backpedal him to an A, he was the only team I felt deserved an A+.He took the last position and made one of the clear league leaders from the 12-hole. And he did it in a very unorthodox way as you typically go with two from the same position more often from the flop through a draft like this, and he just kept mining good picks all the way through.I graded as much on the DRAFT you had as the players chosen. I REALLY wanted to elevate B-Fred to an A+ as he had a simply brilliant draft value-wise, but that RB bye thing, and his final WR crew, kept holding me back.

What happened with some of the MB teams in the last part of the draft? It seems like they just mailed it in, were tired and didn't have the stamina or concentration for a live draft of 5 hours, or ran out of players to look at on their cheatsheets?Talk about chickens with their heads cut off.Not to pick on Sinrman, but taking a 6th RB before a 2nd D, 2nd K, or 3rd QB is ridiculous. Back that up with not managing your bye weeks and only drafting 5 WRs where you have to choose which week you won't have enough starters between D and WR when we have 20 roster spots is inexcusable.There was not enough draft preparation by some of the "sharks" of the message board and it showed late in the draft. Too many times people take the last few rounds for granted only preparing for the first 5...where all the glory is. This is evident at antsports where everyone quits by the 7th or 8th rounds.You can make or break your team just as easily in the later rounds as you can in the early rounds via grabbing depth and rounding out your team.The focus was just not there. :no:

Question for League 2:You got to pick your draft slot. So those who feel like they did not draft as well as they could have, do you now feel that particular draft slots are not as important?FYI: I told Unlucky to give me whatever draft slot was not taken by the other 11 message boarders.Draft position does not matter over the course of a draft. Good drafters draft good teams from any position and vice versa.Thoughts?

Agreed - and I made them pay with their grades. I nailed Anderson, too, as it is inexcusable to head into the final three rounds and not check over your team's bye/starter situation. I know it was an oversight - but the draft is king in this league.Only you and B-Fred of the MB crew were on the ball - I have to go check on league one and see if it is an MB thing.It is infinitely better to miss a WR3 starter one week than have NO K or D for an early week. Any one of your pencilled in starters at WR spots "might" have a bad, 2 catch 7 yard day as a counted score - but to assure yourself a zero at a 12-15+ pt/game position is simply inexcusable.

I graded as much on the DRAFT you had as the players chosen. I REALLY wanted to elevate B-Fred to an A+ as he had a simply brilliant draft value-wise, but that RB bye thing, and his final WR crew, kept holding me back.
That's a fair criticism, and given my personal rankings of running backs available in the second round, my only choices were grabbing Davis, who slipped, or reaching for Dillon or one of the rooks. I took the guy I felt was the best value, and changed my draft plan to accomodate it. I feel like I handled that "RB bye thing" very well; I have two weeks to make up for the loss of my top two backs, and I have three guys who I think have good scoring potential to make up for that week. I like my top 2 WRs (Moulds and Toomer) a lot, so my other 3 (Northcutt and the two rookie Williams) are really combining for bye weeks and best score of the week. I admit that it's not the strength of my team, but it's far from a weakness, and looking around the league, I like my squad better than several others out there. The two things you didn't mention was my QB situtation, although it's been discussed ad nauseum, and the fact that one of the strengths of my team - TE - is partially dependent on Winslow signing on time to play and/or Gonzo coming strong out of the gate. If either/both of those guys start out slow/don't play, I could be in trouble early, too. I just think the strength of this team at every position is great enough that it will more than make up for its weak points (weeks 1 and 2 - Winslow signed?, week 3 - Moulds bye, week 4 - Culpepper bye, weeks 7 and 8 - week 7 Portis/Davis byes)

Things I know now:1. Post count does matter and is a reflection of FF acumen. Those guys that I had never heard of before the draft didn't do very well and this goes for both the MB and the staff.2. The MB team did not fair as well in league two which is dissapointing. We are lucky to have the genius of Sandbagger in that league to carry us.3. The WR-WR strategy has never worked, never will work, and simply should never be used again.4. Some of the Staff in league 1 were clearly in over their heads.5. The MB still has a decent shot at winning the overall title.that is all.

I graded as much on the DRAFT you had as the players chosen. I REALLY wanted to elevate B-Fred to an A+ as he had a simply brilliant draft value-wise, but that RB bye thing, and his final WR crew, kept holding me back.
That's a fair criticism, and given my personal rankings of running backs available in the second round, my only choices were grabbing Davis, who slipped, or reaching for Dillon or one of the rooks. I took the guy I felt was the best value, and changed my draft plan to accomodate it. I feel like I handled that "RB bye thing" very well; I have two weeks to make up for the loss of my top two backs, and I have three guys who I think have good scoring potential to make up for that week. I like my top 2 WRs (Moulds and Toomer) a lot, so my other 3 (Northcutt and the two rookie Williams) are really combining for bye weeks and best score of the week. I admit that it's not the strength of my team, but it's far from a weakness, and looking around the league, I like my squad better than several others out there. The two things you didn't mention was my QB situtation, although it's been discussed ad nauseum, and the fact that one of the strengths of my team - TE - is partially dependent on Winslow signing on time to play and/or Gonzo coming strong out of the gate. If either/both of those guys start out slow/don't play, I could be in trouble early, too. I just think the strength of this team at every position is great enough that it will more than make up for its weak points (weeks 1 and 2 - Winslow signed?, week 3 - Moulds bye, week 4 - Culpepper bye, weeks 7 and 8 - week 7 Portis/Davis byes)
I mentioned the QB thing and the WR thing in my commentary - I'd like to save some stuff for the readers. ;)As I mentioned in that commentary - the combination of problems prevented the A+, and I am in strong disagreement regarding the worth of your RB bye compensation - as we have discussed sufficiently - I don't put as much stock in the two-week combined scoring thing as you do since ALL the teams that survive to that point will have that advantage and several will probably have no RB bye week problems those two weeks.You are behind Culcasi in a couple areas, so I couldn't give you the A+, but it is obvious I liked your draft.

I mentioned the QB thing and the WR thing in my commentary - I'd like to save some stuff for the readers. ;)As I mentioned in that commentary - the combination of problems prevented the A+, and I am in strong disagreement regarding the worth of your RB bye compensation - as we have discussed sufficiently - I don't put as much stock in the two-week combined scoring thing as you do since ALL the teams that survive to that point will have that advantage and several will probably have no RB bye week problems those two weeks.You are behind Culcasi in a couple areas, so I couldn't give you the A+, but it is obvious I liked your draft.
Dammit, just give an an A+.Next time use percentages. ;)

Now that the draft is over and the MB has 4 of the top 5 teams (top 2 in league 1 and 2 of top 3 in league 2) does anyone want to comment on how successful the 'qb squeeze' debacle worked?

Now that the draft is over and the MB has 4 of the top 5 teams (top 2 in league 1 and 2 of top 3 in league 2) does anyone want to comment on how successful the 'qb squeeze' debacle worked?
In League 2, staff members hold at least 4 of the top 6 teams, while MB guys hold 4 of the bottom 6 teams.I'd say that it worked pretty well. And, if BFred gets knocked out in week 4, it will have worked even better than expected.

Is there a reason that Aaron has posted commentary for all his picks except Willis McGahee? Just curious as I am sopping up every bit of opinion I can find about this kid these days.

Next time use percentages. ;)
I will forthrightly admit I am nowhere near as smart as you - figuring out who gets a plus and minus next to their grade was hard enough.You may go ahead and jump in and do that for us, though.Joe T - according to MY rankings, it was 2 and 2 in League Two - with the staff member getting the highest grade (Chris Smith got an A along with 'bagger and Fred - and Culcasi got the only A+)Squeeze or not - 3 or 4 of the 6 MB teams in league two simply removed themselves from this contest by being outdrafted in rounds 13 and later.

In League 2, staff members hold at least 4 of the top 6 teams, while MB guys hold 4 of the bottom 6 teams.I'd say that it worked pretty well. And, if BFred gets knocked out in week 4, it will have worked even better than expected.
It didn't work well because of the squeeze, it worked well because of drafting errors.

Next time use percentages.  ;)
I will forthrightly admit I am nowhere near as smart as you - figuring out who gets a plus and minus next to their grade was hard enough.You may go ahead and jump in and do that for us, though.Joe T - according to MY rankings, it was 2 and 2 in League Two - with the staff member getting the highest grade (Chris Smith got an A along with 'bagger and Fred - and Culcasi got the only A+)Squeeze or not - 3 or 4 of the 6 MB teams in league two simply removed themselves from this contest by being outdrafted in rounds 13 and later.
I'm not using your rankings as they are obviously biased. :hophead:

Users who are viewing this thread