What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The One Food to Try in Every State (1 Viewer)

Red corned beef for boiled dinner is decidedly New York City???  Gray is a better choice but probably harder to find food stylist pictures.  

Rhode Island could probably go with New York system weiners or oysters or a cabinet or coffee milk or pizza strips or calamari or ...

Vermont is cheesy but I've never seen or heard it paired with apple pie.  

Last edited by a moderator:
I knew before I clicked that Indiana would be a pork tenderloin and, I have to admit, I had never had one nor heard of it until I moved here (26 years ago) and they are great. . . unhealthy as hell but great.  However, years ago I was in southern Indiana and a friend of my brother-in-law was relocating his business from one side of town to another.  I happened to be there visiting my in-laws that weekend and I was asked if I wouldn't mind driving a truck.  It ended up being more than that, it really wasn't a big deal but the guy we helped out said "I really appreciate the help, I'm taking you guys to this rib place."

It was a nice little place, ribs were very good but this guy INSISTED we all get the peanut slaw which was coleslaw covered in chopped peanuts.  First, I'm picky about everything and (to me) coleslaw is usually made as an afterthought side item so I rarely get excited about it.  It's like potato salad or any other side, generally, it's just filler.  Well this was not that, this was quite honestly amazing, the coleslaw was creamy, fantastic and all of that and the peanuts (with that particular coleslaw) was just perfect plus I had never heard of it before so I was impressed.  I don't know if this is a common thing in other places or not but if you're ever in southern Indiana, in a town called Lawrenceburg, there's a little place called Whiskey's that serves great ribs and amazing peanut slaw.

wisconsins fried cheese curds are an ok call but i actually think you can get fried cheese curds just about anywhere now so i would go with actual good fresh local real not deep fried cheese curds or a good wisconsin brat but that is just me talkin take that to the bank brohans 

Picking crabs and drinking cold beer is as great as it sounds, as my fellow Marylanders can attest. But every time I've introduced someone new to the custom, they are invariably frustrated by the complexity and effort involved. Not enough bang for the buck.

If out of state friends are coming to visit, take them somewhere that does crab cakes right instead. Nobody does those better than Maryland cooks.

Picking crabs and drinking cold beer is as great as it sounds, as my fellow Marylanders can attest. But every time I've introduced someone new to the custom, they are invariably frustrated by the complexity and effort involved. Not enough bang for the buck.

If out of state friends are coming to visit, take them somewhere that does crab cakes right instead. Nobody does those better than Maryland cooks.
Crabcakes and football — that's what Maryland does!

Massachusetts:  Clam Chowder is always meh, even under the best of circumstances. It's cream, served hot. Steamers (clams) would have been a better choice. 

New Hampshire: New England Boiled Dinner. Taste it, and feel for a brief moment the suffering of millions of children. 

Vermont: Should be something with maple syrup, or venison. Cheese on pie is def a New England thing, but not popular. More like, everyone has an uncle that does it. 

Nevada: If you gonna do Ellis Island, Chicken Fried Steak is the go-to there. 

Delaware: Vinegar fries? That's just sad.

Southern and Western options are soooo much better.

I used to go down to the Preakness every year and we would go out to dinner and be astonished at the locals just picking and hammering away at the crabs. I’ll take the crab crab cake all day thank you 

Oregon: Marionberry Pie

Only other options would have been some type of seafood or some crazy hipster concoction at a food cart.

Would go coney dog over pasty for Michigan.
First thing I thought of for the Lower Peninsula, tho Paczkis for the best one-day-a-year treat

F#%* the Yoopers bc FTP, eh

(JK love U.P. - the land is beautiful from end to end & def good people)

IF we wanna get pedantic I’d say:

• apples / blueberries for southeast MI 
• cherry tart for the northwest/TC
• Detroit style pizza is def a thing - even had one in Manhattan pre-pandemic   
• fudge fm Mackinac Island
• Frankenmuth chicken reppin’ east side
• Vlasic pickles 

home state has it good eh

I used to go down to the Preakness every year and we would go out to dinner and be astonished at the locals just picking and hammering away at the crabs. I’ll take the crab crab cake all day thank you 
Picking crabs is as much about socializing as it is food consumption. Not that steamed crabs aren't danged tasty, but 2-3 hours around a big table with a bunch of good friends is a great summer afternoon.

I actually think they got a lot of these correct judging by the places I'm familiar with. Louisiana could have been crawfish but those are seasonal. Possibly bouidin.

The New Mexico listing is ridiculous. They get it right with green chile cheeseburger and even point out in the description that it is different than jalapeno but then clearly show a picture of a jalapeno cheeseburger. Green chiles are roasted and peeled and served on a cheeseburger chopped or as a whole slab more like the size of a poblano. Never as narrow rings and never fresh.

NY - Buffalo wings - I’ll defer to @Steve Tasker @GroveDiesel & the rest of the Bills Mafia 
I'm so used to the NYC bias on these lists that I just kinda naturally assume it'll be NYC pizza, or maybe a bagel, something like that.  I think it's tough to lump the entire state into one basket as seemingly everywhere has their own greats.  NYC has the aforementioned pizza, bagels, cheesecake, you name it....Buffalo has chicken wings, beef on weck, pastry hearts....Rochester has garbage plates, white hots.....and then you have chicken riggies, spiedies, everywhere is unique.  

Happy to see chicken wings on the list though, especially considering the national/international reach of the dish.  Those wings in the picture don't look particularly like "normal" chicken wings you'd find around here though.

Marionberry pie?   Lived in Oregon 26 years and never directed a visitor to seek that out, but I'm not much for sweets.  Steelhead or dungeness crab would have been superior choices.  Hell, they gave Washington cedar plank salmon.  

At least it wasn't Krispy Kreme....jeez.

When I was getting recruited to move to NYC in the late 90s, one of the executives at my next firm had a meeting in Troy. I had met him during my office visit & so he reached out a few days before to see if I wanted to have dinner (at the time I had just received their offer.) I took him to Upper Parthenon - I remember this was not long after they opened.

Anyway, he was a high strung, excitable Jewish guy from L.I. Super capable but just one of those wound-a-little-too-tight type A people. Don’t think they have the same style Greek around the 5 boroughs. Long story short, the table next to us ordered Saganaki (fried cheese which they explode while shouting Opa!)

They lit it about 3’ from us, poor ******* almost had an aneurysm and fell out of his chair. 
:lmao:

Yeah, sumtin’ from Greektown as well.

When I was getting recruited to move to NYC in the late 90s, one of the executives at my next firm had a meeting in Troy. I had met him during my office visit & so he reached out a few days before to see if I wanted to have dinner (at the time I had just received their offer.) I took him to Upper Parthenon - I remember this was not long after they opened.

Anyway, he was a high strung, excitable Jewish guy from L.I. Super capable but just one of those wound-a-little-too-tight type A people. Don’t think they have the same style Greek around the 5 boroughs. Long story short, the table next to us ordered Saganaki (fried cheese which they explode while shouting Opa!)

They lit it about 3’ from us, poor ******* almost had an aneurysm and fell out of his chair. 
:lmao:

Yeah, sumtin’ from Greektown as well.

The older Greektown male servers in Detroit would light that flaming cheese right next to people faces.  It flew up 4-5 feet.  Somebody had to catch on fire.

Everyone in Philly knows the DiNic's Roast Pork sammy blows the cheesesteak away.
I'm not from Philly and I know this.  My son was begging me to go to Philly last summer for the sole purpose of getting DiNic's.

I haven't clicked the link yet, but I am really hoping that Cincinnati Chili isn't the one identified from Ohio...

The older Greektown male servers in Detroit would light that flaming cheese right next to people faces.  It flew up 4-5 feet.  Somebody had to catch on fire.
IKR

Athenium has been my downtown hotel of choice for 25 years - many a trip to Pegasus, et al. Been a minute though.

I was hoping the Maryland choice would be scrapple.

IKR

Athenium has been my downtown hotel of choice for 25 years - many a trip to Pegasus, et al. Been a minute though.

I was there with my wife this past summer.  There was a server there that waited on us when we were dating. They have servers there that have been there 30-40 years!!    Octopus app is my favorite!!  Then lamb shank dinner with greek tomato sauce..

I understand and am not surprised that for Illinois, they went with the Chicago bias and did the deep-dish pizza, but, as a downstater, I'd go with a horseshoe.  

exploding cheese is the name of my university of wisconsin marching band tribute band take that to the bank brohans 

I understand and am not surprised that for Illinois, they went with the Chicago bias and did the deep-dish pizza, but, as a downstater, I'd go with a horseshoe.  
yeah they probably went with the pizza over eating a piece of metal that was on a horses foot and probably stepped in horse poop because of chicago bias big shocker take that to the bank brohans 

Users who are viewing this thread