What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Presidential Pardon thread (1 Viewer)

I appreciate IK's response. It was funny.

But on a serious note, its pretty clear Trump doesn't think bribery should be a crime. Clear with how he's acted with the FCPA.

IMO what’s going on here is 1. sending signals to his fellow targets in the JDA to stay strong, and 2. To focus on notorious public corruption cases to demonstrate the great injustice and mistreatment these poor politicians and big businessmen have been subject to. And when he pardons Stone, Flynn & Pals he can also point to these preceding pardons as being consistent. 

Last edited by a moderator:
My theory, which is a hill that I will die on, is that some lawyer was trying to explain the limits of executive power to Trump and used Blago as an example (hey just because he has a right to appoint the next Senstor, he can’t give it to the highest bidder) and the lesson Trump took was to prove that lawyer wrong. 
This would be the Platonic form of Trumpiness.

Daniel Dale‏ @ddale8 24m24 minutes ago

Blagojevich allies made frequent Fox appearances, which Trump saw; his wife likened his treatment by DOJ to Trump's treatment and invoked Mueller and Comey. Trump took note that Blagojevich was prosecuted by Patrick Fitzgerald, a Comey friend and lawyer.

Trump told reporters today: "It was a prosecution by the same people -- Comey, Fitzpatrick -- the same group." (It's Patrick Fitzgerald, not "Fitzpatrick.") (Comey was deputy AG in the early years of the Blagojevich corruption probe, though not when he was arrested or tried.)

https://twitter.com/ddale8/status/1229841089567318023

My theory, which is a hill that I will die on, is that some lawyer was trying to explain the limits of executive power to Trump and used Blago as an example (hey just because he has a right to appoint the next Senstor, he can’t give it to the highest bidder) and the lesson Trump took was to prove that lawyer wrong. 
I believe it was because he wrote a poorly thought out opinion piece which Trump feels gives him some cover for the impeachment.  Want a favor, say something nice about Trump publically.  Pretty straight forward.

I believe it was because he wrote a poorly thought out opinion piece which Trump feels gives him some cover for the impeachment.  Want a favor, say something nice about trump publically.  Pretty straight forward.
Did Kurik and Miliken write or say something nice about the President? I agree with your theory, just didn't know what they did.

Right wingers in IL were rejoicing when Blago got busted and sent to prison. Too funny. Guess Trump had to do it since taking bribes is what Trump does.

Blago is one of the most cut-and-dry cases of political corruption in recent years. That won't go over well with the "drain the swamp" crowd.

Blago is one of the most cut-and-dry cases of political corruption in recent years. That won't go over well with the "drain the swamp" crowd.
Kidding right? They love it!

Some samplings:

“Obama pardoned way more”

”These guys don’t live in DC so it’s not part of the DC swamp”

Got to be shtick :lol:

IMO what’s going on here is 1. sending signals to his fellow targets in the JDA to stay strong, and 2. To focus on notorious public corruption cases to demonstrate the great injustice and mistreatment these poor politicians and big businessmen have been subject to. And when he pardons Stone, Flynn & Pals he can also point to these preceding pardons as being consistent. 
This and I also think that he’s focusing on crimes that he’s committed or plans on committing. It was unfair when they were put in prison for it, so it’d be unfair to do the same to him.

it's sickening...the more corrupt you are the more old donny appreciates you.  He's empowering white collar criminals across this country

This and I also think that he’s focusing on crimes that he’s committed or plans on committing. It was unfair when they were put in prison for it, so it’d be unfair to do the same to him.
Yep, agree. - It probably should also be noted that supposedly Trump is trying to get rid of the law or enforcement of the law against bribery of foreign officials for business purposes. If anyone wants a link glad to. Just part and parcel of the same thing IMO.

Yep, agree. - It probably should also be noted that supposedly Trump is trying to get rid of the law or enforcement of the law against bribery of foreign officials for business purposes. If anyone wants a link glad to. Just part and parcel of the same thing IMO.
Good to be king. Trump hotel DC and Maro Lago are bribery scams already. 

Pumping radioactive ooze back into the swamp in an election year. Can't imagine what he'll do if reelected. 

Sen. **** Durbin:

“Blagojevich betrayed the people of Illinois ... Illinois and Washington should move quickly to establish stricter ethics requirements, including the full detailed disclosure of income, net worth, and income tax returns by all elected officials."

As she should be. Murderers get lesser sentences.

I am a first time, non-violent, Hispanic, white collar convicted felon (Negron vs. USA, District 11 – 2010). After I was found guilty ( I went to trial in 2011), I received what my attorney called a draconian sentence (35 years, with 5 probation).

I was a minority owner (30%) of a management company (Medlink) for health care services, that contracted with a company (ATC) with eight Community Mental Health Centers throughout South and Central Florida, which billed Medicare for their Partial Hospitalization Program (one of their core services). As per my contract with ATC, I was to cover their daily operations to include staffing needs of over 300 employees, coordination of treatment of about 600 – 800 patients daily: as well as quality assurance with our regulatory entities such as OSHA, JCAHO, AHCA, CMS, Dept of Labor, etc. for a management fee. Medlink did not bill Medicare, the billing was outsourced by ATC to a private billing company that was not implicated in the indictments. The financial accounts were handled by an in-house CPA that was not charged with any wrong doing. While the kickbacks were done by the marketing team hired by my partner (70% owner), I never made such agreements, nor did I ever pay any ATC patients to receive services. However, because the government found that kickbacks were being paid to bring patients into the centers, as an owner of the organization I was held equally responsible, and therefore, the government’s allegations of my involvement was accepted by the jury, which found me guilty of all 24 counts. I was charged for the billing done by all eight centers for a span of almost 10 years, because since the patients were coming in illegally, everything that followed was as will.

Users who are viewing this thread