What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The second coming of Joe Cool. Is Burrow pulling a Namath? (1 Viewer)

Harry Frogfish

Footballguy
The interviews, even before the playoffs, are super confident.  Cocky, but not condescending.  Focused.  It's refreshing, the way he's going about it, going off-script.  Superbowl is the only thing he's after, not accolades.  His Dad/Coach has instilled it in him.  The fact he's been slighted makes it that much better.

Kind of interesting, how he's not getting more pub.  Watch his post-game comments, going back to sweeping Pitt.  He acts like that was just another obstacle in his way.  If he was making this run as QB for a NY team, or other big city, you'd be hearing way more about it.

His decision-making was on point, all game long, like it was when he slayed Alabama.  Relatively unfazed and he's not as much of a kid as some perceive, he's 25.  

But forget all that, if Burrow dices up Tennessee on their own grid, give us the mink coat from here on out.  It would be a generational run and Cinci fans would lose their minds.  That would be fun to see.

And yeah, there would need to be some turnovers at Buffalo or KC's corral -- the D is a problem for Cinci -- but crazier things have happened in shootouts.

Bengals or Bills for me, both great stories.

Easily.

To me the top 4 are Rodgers, Allen, Mahomes, Burrow.

Can`t argue although Brady should round out top 5.   

always dismiss Brady because he is 44 and keep thinking it has to end soon, but he did lead the lead in passing TDs and yardage.

By being the first overall pick?

No, by having to leave his home state to prove himself.  OSU to LSU is not what he wanted.  You mean to tell me he doesn't carry that with him?

Just randoms, but Aaron Rodgers and Tom Brady come to mind.  Do they not carry grudges?  It doesn't matter the level it started at, or how it got there, it can drive them like no other.

And winning the Heisman and a National title.

And so that makes everything alright?   The hell it does.  He waited two years, only to then have Haskins start instead.  And finally had to prove himself elsewhere.  Do you blame him?  Do you think he should just forget that?  Would you?

If anything, you make my point.  You think he just let that #### go?  He is loving this!  Where's Haskins now?  You don't think Burrow wants a Super Bowl even more, for his home state, in the face of the school that wouldn't start him?  

Oh hey guys, thanks for not believing in me, I won the college trophies I always wanted to win for you somewhere else, so I forgive you now, go Buckeyes, I'm good!

Burrow was born in Iowa.

then Nebraska, the North Dakota for 2-3 then Ohio.  His dad was on the University of Ohio staff....

Last edited by a moderator:
I dont see him as 'slighted'

Or he's slighted, just like everyone else.

I like watching him play.

Oh my gosh, I apologize, Joe Burrow wasn't slighted -- by not being able to play where he chose to go to college (in the state he played high school football).  No, there's another word for it that escapes me.  Urban Meyer was his coach, maybe we could ask him.

Burrow was born in Iowa lived there until he was 4 or 5, then Nebraska? then moved to North Dakota for 2-3 years before moving to Ohio

I also apologize for not mentioning his actual birthplace.  The fact he was awarded OHIO's Mr Football and their Gatorade player of the year after 4 years at Athens High School does not negate the hot chocolates he had in North Dakota prior.  Super important stuff.

This is relevant because when Ohio State and Urban Meyer wouldn't play him, and he transferred, it was just part of the plan.  NO hard feelings, K?

Oh, and go Buckeyes!

Oh my gosh, I apologize, Joe Burrow wasn't slighted -- by not being able to play where he chose to go to college (in the state he played high school football).  No, there's another word for it that escapes me.  Urban Meyer was his coach, maybe we could ask him.

I also apologize for not mentioning his actual birthplace.  The fact he was awarded OHIO's Mr Football and their Gatorade player of the year after 4 years at Athens High School does not negate the hot chocolates he had in North Dakota prior.  Super important stuff.

This is relevant because when Ohio State and Urban Meyer wouldn't play him, and he transferred, it was just part of the plan.  NO hard feelings, K?

Oh, and go Buckeyes!
You know he wasn't heavily recruited 

Fun fact. Burrow actually sat for 3 years.

Fun fact #2 burrow undergraduate degree is from the Ohio state.

I don't think he gives 2 ####s at this time about leaving osu 

Harry Frogfish said:
Kind of interesting, how he's not getting more pub.  Watch his post-game comments, going back to sweeping Pitt.  He acts like that was just another obstacle in his way.  If he was making this run as QB for a NY team, or other big city, you'd be hearing way more about it.

But forget all that, if Burrow dices up Tennessee on their own grid, give us the mink coat from here on out.  It would be a generational run and Cinci fans would lose their minds.  That would be fun to see.
There has been a lot of buzz about him, and he doesn't need to be like Broadway Joe to be cool. He can be his own cool person. 

So is Burrow upset about not being played in college or are you?   I'm not following the point of the thread here.

So is Burrow upset about not being played in college or are you?   I'm not following the point of the thread here.

Come on, you really don't get the point, Mr Coy?  And :lmao:  at implying I'm upset at him not playing at OSU.  I don't give a damn about that place.

Kid is super confident and been basically saying Superbowl or bust for awhile now, throwing some swagger around.  And if you don't think there's a little chip on his shoulder -- how big a chip could be argued, sure -- but you're wrong in thinking there isn't one.  Rodgers has some, Brady has some. Allen has some.  ALL slighted to varying degrees.  Are we really going to argue that how much exactly, sheesh, settle down.

If you don't think that kid wanted to play for his home state, then why did he go there?  And why did he transfer?

Anyway, plenty of threads here to enjoy if the need to be super serious and nitpick is more your style.  Have fun out there!

There has been a lot of buzz about him, and he doesn't need to be like Broadway Joe to be cool. He can be his own cool person. 

Never said he needed to be like anyone else, it just reminds me of Joe's unabashed run.  Don't see that anymore, I was reminded of it.  No big deal either way.

We sometimes compare athletes  to each other, it doesn't mean they are clones, just reminders.  I am more than certain Burrow is his own person.

I would take him #3 after Mahommes and Josh Allen. And even then, you could make an argument that he might be the best young QB in the league right now. 
Slow down.  One good year with the talent he has at WR does not anoint him yet.  Lots of QBs have had a good year then fizzed.  Top 2 would be silly right now.

That said, he looks the part of a stud QB

once again people are pulling out the anointing oils before the patrons fill the church. so the story on monday is 'well there's always next year, J. Burrow'. first time head coach first time in playoffs as a head coach, on the road in hostile territory against a grizzled old veteran LB turned HC who has been in more big games as coach and player than anyone else and they're going to roll over for the Bengals? they've won 1 playoff game in 31 years.now their QB is Joe Namath. this has a 'new coke' feel to it. not buying it.

once again people are pulling out the anointing oils before the patrons fill the church. so the story on monday is 'well there's always next year, J. Burrow'. first time head coach first time in playoffs as a head coach, on the road in hostile territory against a grizzled old veteran LB turned HC who has been in more big games as coach and player than anyone else and they're going to roll over for the Bengals? they've won 1 playoff game in 31 years.now their QB is Joe Namath. this has a 'new coke' feel to it. not buying it.

Not one person here has said anything close to that.  First of all, they're underdogs and nobody is denying that or anything else you brought up.  It's simply a "what if" he got by this next hurdle scenario, which is fun to think about is all.  There's been zero disrespect towards the Titans or their coach.  It's only you ensuing as much.  Don't worry, Henry will still run wild.

In fact, I said in the OP that even if he got by the Titans, the next matchup would need the ball to bounce their way (luck with turnovers and such) to win.  I also said Cinci's D is a "problem".  It's like you're taking offense to things that simply were not said.  In fact the furthest I went about this weekend's matchup was "IF" they won, meaning THEN we could start to talk about any kind of "run".

You changed the narrative to him being "anointed", which was never the case.

This has nothing to do with Burrow, whom I'm probably higher than anyone on. However, I feel like Joe Namath has really hit that weird spot where he's so overrated, he's actually underrated.

Namath was the star player on the winning team of what I would argue is the most important football game in history. An AFL team beating an NFL team would have happened eventually anyway, but it never would have meant as much if not for Namath and his charisma making it seem like the historic event it's remembered as.

It's a huge what if, but what if the Cardinals outbid the Jets? 

Conversely, since it's also a Burrow thread, what if Burrow gets the Ohio State job instead of Haskins?

ghostguy123 said:
Slow down.  One good year with the talent he has at WR does not anoint him yet.  Lots of QBs have had a good year then fizzed.  Top 2 would be silly right now.

That said, he looks the part of a stud QB
I'm 100% sold on Burrow as a top 3 QB after watching him the past 2 seasons. I'm not a Bengals fan and they could very well lose to a good Titans team this week. But he is light years ahead of most sophomore NFL QBs at the same point in their careers. especially for a guy coming off a torn ACL. Justin Herbert has also been super impressive, but I would go with Burrow and really only behind Mahommes and Josh Allen. 

And winning the Heisman and a National title.

Maybe he felt slighted by the fact that his high school didn't name their stadium after him until 2020. Granted he hadn't won an NFL game yet...but the nerve of them for waiting so long. 

Come on down, getcha anointing oils and new coke. 😁

I had this vision that Joe Namath was a great QB.

Just looked up Joe Namaths career stats..he was horrible!! 

Career 150 TDs to 233 INTs  50.5 career completion %.

We take our nicknames very seriously in the Shark Pool.  I mean Terry Bradshaw and slew of national writers have had fun -- imagine that -- using the name.  I'm sure that has nothing to do with his demeanor, though. 

Meanwhile Joe has since gone into and taken out #1 and #2 seeds.  But HEY, watch what you say!  Especially in the Shark Pool, where "Joe Cool" can be borderline offensive.

Oh, and cue up the Terry Bradshaw animosity (hate?).   Probably never should've have mentioned him -- another nice target there to go after.

We take our nicknames very seriously in the Shark Pool.  I mean Terry Bradshaw and slew of national writers have had fun -- imagine that -- using the name.  I'm sure that has nothing to do with his demeanor, though. 

Meanwhile Joe has since gone into and taken out #1 and #2 seeds.  But HEY, watch what you say!  Especially in the Shark Pool, where "Joe Cool" can be borderline offensive.
I just heard Bart Scott ask Travis Kelce on the Bart and Hahn radio show this afternoon to resolve an argument between them. Scott, who played for the Ravens, said it was offensive to call Burrow "Joe Cool" while Joe Flacco was in the league, since that was Flacco's nickname. To which Hahn and Kelce both reacted with some sort of response like, where was Flacco called that, in your locker room? Hahn said his objection to it was because everyone knows Joe Montana is Joe Cool.

As for my post to which you responded, you seemed to miss the point, which was that you were associating Namath as Joe Cool, which is incorrect.

BTW, I'm not familiar with you so I don't know if this is schtick. If so, it isn't very good schtick.

Namath doesn't belong in the HOF.  Go look at his numbers.  173 tds and 220 ints and 50.1% completion percentage.  Yes, he had the reputation as Joe Cool / Broadway Joe, but he's only noted for that one game in NFL history, albeit a big one.

Users who are viewing this thread