What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The stud RB is dead as we know it (1 Viewer)

HairySasquatch

Footballguy
Shane Vereen and Terrelle Pryor are the only two people who ran for over 100 yards in the games so far in week 1.....and one of them isn't even a RB.

Gone are the days where the RB is handed the ball 25 times a game. It was the pass catching RBs who had good days....everyone else was lucky to get 50 yards from scrimmage.

Times are a changing in the NFL. It is now a passing league.

It will be interesting to see if this turns into a trend or was just a one week anomaly.

Maybe I should have said almost dead? There were so many RBs who struggled to get any kind of running game going today. Even ADP had a difficult time running the ball after his long TD run.

Shane Vereen and Terrelle Pryor are the only two people who ran for over 100 yards in the games so far in week 1.....and one of them isn't even a RB.

Gone are the days where the RB is handed the ball 25 times a game. It was the pass catching RBs who had good days....everyone else was lucky to get 50 yards from scrimmage.

It will be interesting to see if this turns into a trend or was just a one week anomaly.
If this is a passing league what is to stop teams from playing all nickel and dime defenses to slow the pass down? Then offenses would go back to running the ball. You are over reacting to 1 weird week

I went rb crazy during both of my drafts and passed on a ton of good wrs and tes. Regretting it quite a bit after today

It always takes teams a little longer to get the running game going consistently for some reason.

Even with that and the fact that week 1 is always a little weird, yes the league has been shifting to a pass first league for quite a while now. Any team with a middle of the road QB uses the pass to set up the run these days.

If you ignored this trend at your draft and went RB crazy like all the experts suggested you are probably kicking yourself right now.

Charles was fine, if it wasn't a blowout he was 100 yards and a td easy. Martin and CJ both had around 25 carries. Bush had like 200 yards and a td. Forte had 90 and td This is a dumb thread

Over the course of 16 games, they're still more dependable than almost any WR. They see the ball more.

However given the pass first nature of the NFL these days, the best running backs to own are going to be the ones that are part of the passing game: McCoy, Spiller, Bush, etc. Even in non PPR leagues, those may be the guys to have.

Over the course of 16 games, they're still more dependable than almost any WR. They see the ball more.

However given the pass first nature of the NFL these days, the best running backs to own are going to be the ones that are part of the passing game: McCoy, Spiller, Bush, etc. Even in non PPR leagues, those may be the guys to have.
Lol...so you begin your post by downplaying the thread as an overreaction, but then finish up by saying Reggie Bush is in your top 3 RB's to own this season.

Charles was fine, if it wasn't a blowout he was 100 yards and a td easy. Martin and CJ both had around 25 carries. Bush had like 200 yards and a td. Forte had 90 and td This is a dumb thread
I said the stud RB as we know it.....meaning the way it used to be. I agree Charles would have produced more if they needed him. Bush and Forte are not your typical RBs....they would be included in the pass catching RB that I stated had a good game. Yeah Martin and CJ got around 25 carries, but averaged 2.7 and 2.8 yards per rush.

For every one guy you stated had a good game, I can list two who didn't. Will this be a one week anomaly? Maybe...maybe not. Should we start looking at the RB position differently than we have in the past? I think so. It will be interesting to see if this trend continues.

I said the stud RB as we know it.....meaning the way it used to be. I agree Charles would have produced more if they needed him. Bush and Forte are not your typical RBs....they would be included in the pass catching RB that I stated had a good game. Yeah Martin and CJ got around 25 carries, but averaged 2.7 and 2.8 yards per rush.

For every one guy you stated had a good game, I can list two who didn't. Will this be a one week anomaly? Maybe...maybe not. Should we start looking at the RB position differently than we have in the past? I think so. It will be interesting to see if this trend continues.
If you look historically (which you haven't) you'd see that the idea of a "stud rb" is limited to 2-4 guys each year. The idea that the first round is full of reliable running backs has never been true.

If you look historically (which you haven't) you'd see that the idea of a "stud rb" is limited to 2-4 guys each year. The idea that the first round is full of reliable running backs has never been true.
This is why I love the 3RR drafts and wish more redrafts would go to that format. Being stuck in the last quarter of the first rd basically forces a person to draft at least one runningback in the RD1/2 Turn. Otherwise, you really limit your options in later rounds.

Good thread after week one.

We have a few QB's getting the RB rushing yards.

SF

NYJ

Carolina

Seattle

and

RG3

??

and we have a few teams that ..meh

CHI

TB

And some other teams that pass only

GB

NO

etc

The 'receiving' RB has become more predominant on many teams.

Get them while you can.

Lol...so you begin your post by downplaying the thread as an overreaction, but then finish up by saying Reggie Bush is in your top 3 RB's to own this season.
No, I didn't write that. What I wrote was that in the future, running backs involved in the passing game are going to be the ones to own. Bush is the TYPE of guy to own- maybe. (Bush himself I don't trust.)

2012 week one RBs:

100+ rushing yards=5

75-100 rushing yards=11

2013 week one RBs:

100+ rushing yards=1

75-100 rushing yards=6

I would imagine that 3 more will be added to the above after tomorrows games. Is this an over reaction....yes. But you would be foolish not to look into this further. In a PPR or not, pass catching RBs are becoming more and more involved in the game.

NFL in 1973...35 rush att per game on avg vs 24 pass att per game.

NFL in 1983...31 vs 31 per game. 9 RBs with 290+ carries for the season including guys like Dickerson, Dorsett, Payton, Campbell, Riggins

NFL in 1993...32 pass att per game vs 28 rush att per game. Only 1 RB over 300 attempts...Thurman Thomas. Leonard Russell had 300 even.

NFL in 2003...32 pass vs 28 rush, not much changed. However 14 RBs had over 290+ carries on the season. Guys like Portis, Ricky WIlliams, Ahman Green, Deuce McAllister, Fred Taylor, Shaun Alexander, Curtis Martin, Priest Holmes, LaDainian Tomlinson. It was an insane time to be RB heavy, even better than the 90s. You had to go back to the early 80s and mid 80s to find this kind of run. I think there was a boatload of talent at the RB spot...right now ADP seems like the only sure fire HoF type.

NFL in 2012...34 vs 27, few more passes. Charles at 285+ and 6 other RBs on that list so there actually is reason to think you will find at least 4-5 that are gonna get a lot of carries in 2013.

Last edited by a moderator:
Although I do think there is a lot of week 1 over-reaction in general--I do think there is some truth in this dynamic. Football is evolving and it is really becoming a passing league. Many of the elite running backs in the league need space to be effective--and it looks as though they can get more space by catching balls as opposed to receiving handoffs. Also-- if you look at the risks involved in rushing the ball--you typically get 2-4 defensive players converging on the ball/rusher--who are all going after swiping for the ball and creating fumbles--while a pass catcher tends to get tackled more often than getting stripped. I do think that the number of elite running backs is going to decrease tremendously--but the number of startable midlevel rb's in regards to fantasy will grow. I do think that you'll see the advantages of the teams with elite qb's and wr's grow.

2012 week one RBs:

100+ rushing yards=5

75-100 rushing yards=11

2013 week one RBs:

100+ rushing yards=1

75-100 rushing yards=6

I would imagine that 3 more will be added to the above after tomorrows games. Is this an over reaction....yes. But you would be foolish not to look into this further. In a PPR or not, pass catching RBs are becoming more and more involved in the game.
So your week 1 analysis shows a data point? What about the next 15 weeks in that scenario?

2012 week one RBs:

100+ rushing yards=5

75-100 rushing yards=11

2013 week one RBs:

100+ rushing yards=1

75-100 rushing yards=6

So your week 1 analysis shows a data point? What about the next 15 weeks in that scenario?
Don't know about the rest of 2013 yet, do we?

2012 Week 2:

100+ rushing yards=7

75-100 rushing yards=7

2012 Week 3:

100+ rushing yards=7

75-100 rushing yards=6

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe its just me, but all my stud RBs had bad matchups in week 1

Im planning on a resurgence the next couple weeks

who really wants to run their Rb 25-30 times in week 1? May as well get on your knees and pray for your guy to get injured.

Its a passing league now and the qb and wr's have all the value now in FF. I am not sure how many effing threads I have to post this in. If you dont know it by now then its your own fault. Have fun drafting MJD, Chris Johnson, Steven Jackson etc.

In past years, the unsung hero to a quality RB was his fullback. Now, a lot of teams don't have a fullback and are instead using a TE. I think you'll see more Reggie Bush/Sproles type of guys in the future.

No question it's more of a passing league, but to base on one week where few RBs had a lot of carries/yards is a bit shortsighted. The weather may have played some part, as it was a nice day just about everywhere yesterday and very conducive to passing.

All that said, I do agree to some extent that the days of the stud RB aren't what they used to be. But that's likely due to the advent of RBBC across most of the league more than anything.

Lets stop with the week one overreaction.

Charles, 100 total yds, 1 TD.

Martin, 65 total yds, 1 TD.

Rice, 71 total yds, 1 TD.

Forte, 91 total yds, 1 TD.

Peterson, 111 total yds, 3 TDs.

Bush, 191 total yds, 1 TD.

Gore, 65 total yds, 1 TD.

Jackson, 122 total yds.

Lacy 72 total yds, 1 TD.

There were plenty of lead RBs who performed well this week. If you're expecting 200 yds and 2 YDs every week your crazy.

While we're overreacting Dez Bryant and Calvin Johnson are bums and Payton Manning should have been a first round pick!

In past years, the unsung hero to a quality RB was his fullback. Now, a lot of teams don't have a fullback and are instead using a TE. I think you'll see more Reggie Bush/Sproles type of guys in the future.
Yep. The stud RB needs to be able to catch the ball as well as run between the tackles now. The Jerome Bettis. pound the ball all game long days are over. This is all a result of rule changes. If you could still 'Turkey Jones' a QB, you would have stud RBs like Bettis.

While we're overreacting Dez Bryant and Calvin Johnson are bums and Payton Manning should have been a first round pick!
While I know this is tongue in check you do bring up a good point that stud WR's can have bad days too. Calvin and Dez were 1-2 or 1-3 in just about every draft and both laid big eggs yesterday as well.

The questions are: who are those 2-4 guys this year, and why was virtually every FF site/magazine projecting that 8-10 RBs should be drafted within the first round?

This is the year that the upside down drafting will become the norm. Look at all the 300 yard passers yesterday, its crazy

Usually takes the running back and line a few weeks to get on a rhythm, I wouldn't worry too much about it. SF has arguably the best line in the league and they weren't opening any holes for Gore, much like many other running games this week.

I must admit this has been my startegy for some time and it's worked well for me. I fade the Rb position, try to get 1 decent one and a few others with potential upside and but no clear role as my #2. Then I load up at WR, and I want top top top tier QBs (start 2). I just find that it works better b/c the RB position is harder to predict, and you get to start more WRs anyway in most leagues. Not to mention the shifting of offenses in the NFL to more passing over running, and the fact that so many QBs now run as well as pass.

dougy martin was an absolute failure. pathetic performance
And I think Freeman knows he is on the way out. This team stinks IMO and it is going to hurt Martins ability to live up to his draft ADP.
I was saying this all offseason about Martin. That said, I think everyone really needs to take a deep breath and take a step back from the Week 1 cliff. As of right now unless you drafted Jamaal Charles or ADP you literally drafted a dud in your first rounds. This is one of the weirder week ones in recent memory too. Lets see the weird things going on right now...

1. 4 Tight Ends not named Jimmy Graham or Rob Gronkowski had 2 TDs in their Week 1 games. 9 more had 1 TD. I can't remember the last week where there were 17 Tight End touchdowns.

2. A QB for the Raiders is the lead rusher in the NFL.

3. Terrelle Pryor and Sam Bradford, undrafted in most 1 QB 12 Team leagues outscored: Matt Ryan, Tom Brady, Tony Romo, Russell Wilson and Cam Newton who were all consensus QB1 picks.

5. Fred Jackson, a backup RB for the Bills and undrafted in most if not all leagues out scored: Doug Martin, Trent Richardson, CJ Spiller, Chris Johnson, David Wilson, Stevan Ridley , and Marshawn Lynch. All of whom were consensus first or second round picks.

6. Julian Edelman the #3/4 WR for the Patriots and undrafted in most if not all leagues outscored: Brandon Marshall, Danny Amendola, Julio Jones, Hakeem Nicks, Dez Bryant and Calvin Johnson. All who were considered by most to be Top 10 WRs.

So PLEASE everyone... f#$*ing relax. Take a deep breath and don't over-react to one of the weirdest Week 1's in recent memory.

dougy martin was an absolute failure. pathetic performance
And I think Freeman knows he is on the way out. This team stinks IMO and it is going to hurt Martins ability to live up to his draft ADP.
I was saying this all offseason about Martin. That said, I think everyone really needs to take a deep breath and take a step back from the Week 1 cliff. As of right now unless you drafted Jamaal Charles or ADP you literally drafted a dud in your first rounds. This is one of the weirder week ones in recent memory too. Lets see the weird things going on right now...

1. 4 Tight Ends not named Jimmy Graham or Rob Gronkowski had 2 TDs in their Week 1 games. 9 more had 1 TD. I can't remember the last week where there were 17 Tight End touchdowns.

2. A QB for the Raiders is the lead rusher in the NFL.

3. Terrelle Pryor and Sam Bradford, undrafted in most 1 QB 12 Team leagues outscored: Matt Ryan, Tom Brady, Tony Romo, Russell Wilson and Cam Newton who were all consensus QB1 picks.

5. Fred Jackson, a backup RB for the Bills and undrafted in most if not all leagues out scored: Doug Martin, Trent Richardson, CJ Spiller, Chris Johnson, David Wilson, Stevan Ridley , and Marshawn Lynch. All of whom were consensus first or second round picks.

6. Julian Edelman the #3/4 WR for the Patriots and undrafted in most if not all leagues outscored: Brandon Marshall, Danny Amendola, Julio Jones, Hakeem Nicks, Dez Bryant and Calvin Johnson. All who were considered by most to be Top 10 WRs.

So PLEASE everyone... f#$*ing relax. Take a deep breath and don't over-react to one of the weirdest Week 1's in recent memory.
Nice, a post with some common sense. Sad part is someone will read your post and key on the last paragraph and ask why are you so mad?

Users who are viewing this thread