What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

the team you DO NOT want to win SB 40 (1 Viewer)

Who do you NOT want to win SB 40

• Carolina

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Denver

• Pittsburgh

• Seattle

• Total voters

GoingFor2

Footballguy
Out of the 4 teams left, which team would you rather see not win the Superbowl?

If "your" team is still in it, don't vote for their opponent this weekend just because they are playing your team. Take them out of the equation and consider the remaining three teams. Vote against a team for any other reason: you dislike the team, the coach, the fans, the city, a certain player, history, past incident - whatever.

I'll vote for Denver. I'm not a fan of any of the remaining teams, but of the teams left with SB wins - theirs is the most recent. I'd like to see a first time NFL champion, but if the AFC is going to win it, I'd rather see PIT.

Already got my wish when the Colts lost, but I'm also a Raider fan. Represent the AFC west?... Hell no, not them!
I go the other way. Raider fan who grew up in 70s and I HATE the Steelers. I'd take Cowher as my coach any day, would love to have Big Ben as my QB & think Bettis is one of the good guys in league but as a whole, the Steelers cannot lose enough for my taste.With Seahawks as a former rival as well, I'm a big Panther fan now for the trophy.

Already got my wish when the Colts lost, but I'm also a Raider fan. Represent the AFC west?... Hell no, not them!
I hate agreeing with Raider fans. ;) I do like Mike Anderson and respect Shanny, but I don't want to see Plummer win a SB.

There's nobody on the other teams that I dislike. Is there any player aside from Plummer that anyone hates? (Unless you're a fan of a rival)

Last edited by a moderator:
Can I pick three?Edited to add: I want to see Denver in the SB - if only to ensure Plummer has a long meeting with a barber (otherwise security might confuse him with Ted Kasziensky (sp?))

As a Baltimore fan, the Colts-Steelers game was cruel, knowing one of them would have to advance. The most important one got taken care of, so now with the Colts out of the picture, get rid of the Steelers.

Already got my wish when the Colts lost, but I'm also a Raider fan.  Represent the AFC west?...  Hell no, not them!
I go the other way. Raider fan who grew up in 70s and I HATE the Steelers. I'd take Cowher as my coach any day, would love to have Big Ben as my QB & think Bettis is one of the good guys in league but as a whole, the Steelers cannot lose enough for my taste.With Seahawks as a former rival as well, I'm a big Panther fan now for the trophy.
Sorry man. Born in '77. Didn't watch football seriously 'till about 87/88. No rivalry here. I live in N.Cali and the Raiders are my fav. local, though I'm getting sick of Al Davis. I fell in love w/ Steeler football in 88/89.

There's really no team I'm rooting against. Seahawks fans deserve a title, and I like the Steelers.The Broncos and Panthers haven't gone long without a SB (since the Panthers are a young franchise), so I suppose there's less sympathy there. But both Jakes seem like pretty good guys to root for, and the coaches are ok.I suppose if there's any lingering dislike from the Broncos (as a Jets fan, for 1998), that would be the team. But in general these four teams are pretty likable IMO.

I hate the Steelers. Their fans are the 2nd most annoying in pro sports after the Lakers.
:shrug: I would think the Raiders, Yankees, Avalanche, Tony Stewert, and Cubs fans (whining) would all be more annoying.

Voted Denver. As a Steeler fan, Denver even being in the SB would be a bad outcome for me. And if not the Steelers, I'd want someone new to win. Panthers and Seahawks fit there. If the Steelers don't win the SB, I hope the Seahawks do.

Come On Sea ...please the "impressive" season invloved S.F. twice Az. Twice STl twice houston...tenesee...atl...N.O. They have been "resting" all season but I guess that''s the NFC

Denver by default. I'm a fan of Carolina. The Seattle franchise and town could use a championship (and I am a former fan). And I think Bill Cowher is a good coach who deserves a Super Bowl win.

SteelersNo particular reason.....I don't hate them or any of the teams remaining.But, they are the worst of the lot.I am not a Bettis/Cowher fan. I will say at least Bettis is classy off the field. On the field I hate the whole "bus" thing. Get on the bus.......it's just gay.Oh and Cowher......could you stick your chin out any further.

Steeler fan, but taking that out of the equation, I'd be OK with any one of them. They are all good teams. Should the Steelers lose this weekend, I'll be rooting for the Broncos*, but only because I'm an AFC backer.* Barring excessive whiny tool behavior on the part of Bronco fans

Come On Sea ...please the "impressive" season invloved S.F. twice Az. Twice STl twice houston...tenesee...atl...N.O. They have been "resting" all season but I guess that''s the NFC
Yup, Shaun Alexander, Matt Hasselbeck and crew just weren't that dominantNE hasn't been so hot against the top teams.

Losses to CAR, SD, DEN(twice now), IND, KC

They beat?...OAK, PIT, ATL, BUF, MIA, NO, NYJ, BUF, TB, NYJ, JAX

Other than PIT and TB their list isn't very impressive.

Seattle meanwhile dominated a lot of games scoring over 30 7 times this season and over 20 13 times.

I hate the Steelers. Their fans are the 2nd most annoying in pro sports after the Lakers.
:shrug: I would think the Raiders, Yankees, Avalanche, Tony Stewert, and Cubs fans (whining) would all be more annoying.
No. Red Sox fans in a LANDSLIDE. I'd say Pats fans, too, but I think Pats fans get a bad rap. Most of the whiny Pats Fans learned it because they're Red Sox fans, too, and the ones that aren't tend to be pretty decent.That whole "Destiny hates us, we're cursed" thing got really really annoying, and then when it wasn't true anymore, you'd think they'd stop... but they're still just as whiny, only now they're talking about being "disrespected".

Newsflash: You've won 3 of the last 4 SBs. The media frequently discusses whether you're the greatest team of all time. You have the coach and the QB widely considered the best in the NFL. Over 50% of sports bobbleheads picked you to win ON THE ROAD AGAINST A TEAM THAT WAS FAVORED. And the majority of the media are all biased Pats/Red Sox fans, anyway. You're the most overrespected team of the past 30 years. Dallas fans didn't behave like this when their team won 3 of 4 SBs, and their team was even BETTER, making the NFCC the 4th year instead of missing the playoffs.

Seriously, what kind of fan chants "Yankees suck" after their team just gives them their first superbowl title ever? If anyone disrespects your team, it's YOU.

Sorry for the rant. I know that there are a lot of very good, humble, appreciative Pats fans out there. Even some that are fans of the Red Sox, too. I'm friends with several of them. I can't think of a fan base whose bad apples have left me more jaded against them, though.

Anyway, I voted Steelers. I'm probably the only guy in America who doesn't want to see Bettis go out on top. That's John Elway's storyline.

I voted Denver. Don't hate 'em or anything it's just that I want the Steelers to win and if they don't then I would rather see Seattle or Carolina because they've never won a SB.

While I am a Steeler fan, I like all of the remaining teams. I think whomever wins will have overachieved and had to play their hearts out. I would have disappointed if either the Colts or Pats would have won.

Steelers

I will say at least Bettis is classy off the field. On the field I hate the whole "bus" thing.

Get on the bus.......it's just gay.
I agree. Bettis is a classy guy off the field, but him shaking his fatass after running for a two-yard gain is just stupid.
Anyway, I voted Steelers. I'm probably the only guy in America who doesn't want to see Bettis go out on top. That's John Elway's storyline.
Even if the Steelers do win it all, do you really think anyone will compare Bettis' farewell to Elway's, aside from a few fanatical Steelers fans? In Elway, you had a player who is considered by most to be one of the top QB's ever ending his career still playing at a very high level and winning the MVP of the Super Bowl.

In Bettis, you would have a part-time player (not even a starter anymore) finishing his career on a Super Bowl-winning team. And it is not like many consider Bettis the best RB ever or even one of the best RB's ever. He will probably make the Hall of Fame, but I don't know anyone who considers him one of the top RB's ever (again, aside from a few fanatical Steelers fans).

So, having said all of that, I don't think Bettis ending his career with a Super Bowl will have quite the same ring as Elway's or Michael Jordan's (before his comeback with the Wizards) had.

Steelers

I will say at least Bettis is classy off the field. On the field I hate the whole "bus" thing.

I agree. Bettis is a classy guy off the field, but him shaking his fatass after running for a two-yard gain is just stupid.
Even if the Steelers do win it all, do you really think anyone will compare Bettis' farewell to Elway's, aside from a few fanatical Steelers fans? In Elway, you had a player who is considered by most to be one of the top QB's ever ending his career still playing at a very high level and winning the MVP of the Super Bowl.

In Bettis, you would have a part-time player (not even a starter anymore) finishing his career on a Super Bowl-winning team. And it is not like many consider Bettis the best RB ever or even one of the best RB's ever. He will probably make the Hall of Fame, but I don't know anyone who considers him one of the top RB's ever (again, aside from a few fanatical Steelers fans).

So, having said all of that, I don't think Bettis ending his career with a Super Bowl will have quite the same ring as Elway's or Michael Jordan's (before his comeback with the Wizards) had.
Not just the superbowl. I could see the voters giving him the MVP for some sort of 12-for-40 and a score type of day, and then he'd become the SECOND player to win the Superbowl MVP in his final game, along with John Elway.Funny to see that everyone expects the AFC to win the SB over whoever the NFC sends, yet about 75% of the votes in this poll are for an AFC team. It's like no one wants the AFC to win, but they know they will anyway.

Steelers

I will say at least Bettis is classy off the field.  On the field I hate the whole "bus" thing. 

Comparing Elway to Jordan is a joke.I'd say statistically speaking Elway and Bettis are very comparable. Elway was a winner (like Bettis) but never had the eye-popping yearly stats that the other elite QBs did (like Bettis with other top RBs). Consider that Elway threw 20+TD passes only 6 out of 16 seasons (Marino 13 of 17), and that his career TD-INT ratio was 1.3 (Marino 1.7), his career Yards per Attempt 7.1 (Marino 7.3), completion % 57% (Marino 59%).

As a Texans fan, I do not want Denver to win this weekend.

:angry:
Haha, that one took me a while before I got it.Don't worry, you'll get him as soon as we're done with him. I'm sure he'll be worth the wait, too.

Even if the Steelers do win it all, do you really think anyone will compare Bettis' farewell to Elway's, aside from a few fanatical Steelers fans?

In Elway, you had a player who is considered by most to be one of the top QB's ever ending his career still playing at a very high level and winning the MVP of the Super Bowl.

Comparing Elway to Jordan is a joke.I'd say statistically speaking Elway and Bettis are very comparable. Elway was a winner (like Bettis) but never had the eye-popping yearly stats that the other elite QBs did (like Bettis with other top RBs). Consider that Elway threw 20+TD passes only 6 out of 16 seasons (Marino 13 of 17), and that his career TD-INT ratio was 1.3 (Marino 1.7), his career Yards per Attempt 7.1 (Marino 7.3), completion % 57% (Marino 59%).
I'm sure Bronco fans and Elway apologists will be all over you like old #7 and a nice shiny apple (or big burlap bag of oats), but thanks for providing some statistics. John Elway might be one of the most overrated QBs ever. Absent Terrell Davis he never would have had the opportunity to be (mistakenly) spoken about in the same sentence with Michael Jordan.(And do not take this in any way shape or form as some sort of endorsement of Jerome Bettis as one of the greats. A very good player, and likely a hall-of-famer, but not one of the greatest running backs ever.)

Where's the "none of the above" option? The Patriots are out of it (THANKFULLY!) and football is now as exciting as it has ever been. No team is a forgone conclusion and it literally can go to any of them.If forced to choose, I'd probably go against Denver and only because they have most recently been there. But unless I have money on a certain team, I won't be disappointed with any of these guys representing the league.

I'm sure Bronco fans and Elway apologists will be all over you like old #7 and a nice shiny apple (or big burlap bag of oats), but thanks for providing some statistics. John Elway might be one of the most overrated QBs ever. Absent Terrell Davis he never would have had the opportunity to be (mistakenly) spoken about in the same sentence with Michael Jordan.

(And do not take this in any way shape or form as some sort of endorsement of Jerome Bettis as one of the greats. A very good player, and likely a hall-of-famer, but not one of the greatest running backs ever.)
I'm a Bronco fan and I never mind when someone points out that Elway doesn't have studly statistics. That doesn't bother me in the least. I can just fire back by saying that Elway didn't have a pro bowl WR until his 13th season.I also think it's funny that people who are high on Marino and low on Elway always say "Elway's overrated. Without a stud RB he never would have won the SB. Meanwhile, Marino is one of the best ever. If he'd only had a stud RB he would have won the superbowl". I'm not saying that you're necessarily a Marino backer, I just find it funny that that's how Marino backers argue.

John Elway isn't considered so great for the two superbowls he won late in his career. Indeed, without such a great team around him, he never would have won those- much like how Brady never would have won without the Patriots defense, or Aikman never would have won without Emmitt Smith, or how EVERY GREAT QB WHO EVER WON THE TITLE would never have done it without a great surrounding cast.

No, Elway isn't legendary for the 2 SBs he won with a great cast around him. He's legendary for making 3 superbowls in the first place WITHOUT a great cast around him. Go ahead and list 5 QBs you think are better than Elway, and then tell me which of those 5 QBs have ever made it to the superbowl with a worse team than Elway's late-80s Broncos. Tell me which of those QBs have ever made it to 6 conference championships and 5 SBs (both NFL records) despite only playing 3 seasons on a truly, legitimately "great" team.

The 1996-1998 Denver Broncos were ridiculously good. John Elway's legacy, however, is winning with the 1984-1995 Broncos, who most certainly were not.

No. Red Sox fans in a LANDSLIDE. I'd say Pats fans, too, but I think Pats fans get a bad rap. Most of the whiny Pats Fans learned it because they're Red Sox fans, too, and the ones that aren't tend to be pretty decent.That whole "Destiny hates us, we're cursed" thing got really really annoying, and then when it wasn't true anymore, you'd think they'd stop... but they're still just as whiny, only now they're talking about being "disrespected".

Newsflash: You've won 3 of the last 4 SBs. The media frequently discusses whether you're the greatest team of all time. You have the coach and the QB widely considered the best in the NFL. Over 50% of sports bobbleheads picked you to win ON THE ROAD AGAINST A TEAM THAT WAS FAVORED. And the majority of the media are all biased Pats/Red Sox fans, anyway. You're the most overrespected team of the past 30 years. Dallas fans didn't behave like this when their team won 3 of 4 SBs, and their team was even BETTER, making the NFCC the 4th year instead of missing the playoffs.

Seriously, what kind of fan chants "Yankees suck" after their team just gives them their first superbowl title ever? If anyone disrespects your team, it's YOU.

Sorry for the rant. I know that there are a lot of very good, humble, appreciative Pats fans out there. Even some that are fans of the Red Sox, too. I'm friends with several of them. I can't think of a fan base whose bad apples have left me more jaded against them, though.

:goodposting: You aren't the only one.

Awhile back I would have said Chiefs fans - simply because I'm surrounded by them and hear it all the time - however, they just didn't get behind them that much this year. I think they are used to being beat down now. So I also say Pats fans - not that this week hasn't made me compare the Steelers fans to Raiders fans a few times - but the week before the Pats/Broncos playoff game was just ridiculous and annoying as hell.

I hate the Steelers.  Their fans are the 2nd most annoying in pro sports after the Lakers.
I hate the Cowboys. Their fans are THE most annoying in sports, followed by the Yankee, Redsox, Pats and Brownies. :towelwave: :towelwave: :towelwave:

So most of us want the Panthers to win?
That's not what this poll says at all. It says that the FEWEST of us DON'T want the Panthers to win. Very big difference.

Steelers

I will say at least Bettis is classy off the field.  On the field I hate the whole "bus" thing. 

Ya, just a couple Steelers fan.... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: Bettis came in last year and almost rushed for 1,000 yards last year in 1/2 of a season, that's a pretty high level if you ask me. Not one of the All-Time best RB's in the game, but he'll probably be in the HOF.....OK. :tumbleweed:

Already got my wish when the Colts lost, but I'm also a Raider fan.  Represent the AFC west?...  Hell no, not them!
I hate agreeing with Raider fans. ;) I do like Mike Anderson and respect Shanny, but I don't want to see Plummer win a SB.

There's nobody on the other teams that I dislike. Is there any player aside from Plummer that anyone hates? (Unless you're a fan of a rival)
Out of curiosity (I don't want to start an argument), why do you hate Plummer?

I love to hate the Broncos. They're a dirty, dirty team in my mind. For the record, my list of teams still alive goes:Steelers..SeahawksPanthers (the two NFC teams are very close)............BroncosThe Broncos are far from my least favorite team, though. I dislike both the Colts and Patriots more among playoff teams.

I love to hate the Broncos. They're a dirty, dirty team in my mind.
So who is your favorite team?I just ask, because I guarantee you that they cut-block, too.
Actually, the vivid sin of the Broncos in my mind was Kennedy's brutal *illegal* hit on Chris Chambers in 2002.My favorite team? Miami.

i hate the broncos more than any team in the nfl for 4 reasons :ending maddens chance to win back to back titles with the raiders in 78beating the browns 3 times in afc championships in the 80sbeatings the packers in the super bowl 97beating the patriots chance of winning 3 in a row this year.the denver broncos.... a team to hate for the decades !

So most of us want the Panthers to win?
That's not what this poll says at all. It says that the FEWEST of us DON'T want the Panthers to win. Very big difference.
Exactly. Carolina hasn't been around long enough as a team for the rest of the nation to have strong emotions (positive or negative) regarding them.

So who is your favorite team?I just ask, because I guarantee you that they cut-block, too.
Actually, the vivid sin of the Broncos in my mind was Kennedy's brutal *illegal* hit on Chris Chambers in 2002.My favorite team? Miami.
I remember the hit and agree that it was illegal... but isn't it a little much to call a team dirty because of ONE illegal play made 3 years ago by a player no longer with the team?

I remember the hit and agree that it was illegal... but isn't it a little much to call a team dirty because of ONE illegal play made 3 years ago by a player no longer with the team?
It's hardly the only dirty event in the team's history. I agree with you about the blocking, but Denver did at one point at least seem to do more of it than most teams. Don't even let me get started on Romanowski, Shanahan's tendency to play fast and loose with rules, and the rest of it. I also don't think the Broncos immediately dropped Kennedy -- they waited until he wanted more money than they wanted to pay to do so.

It's hardly the only dirty event in the team's history. I agree with you about the blocking, but Denver did at one point at least seem to do more of it than most teams. Don't even let me get started on Romanowski, Shanahan's tendency to play fast and loose with rules, and the rest of it. I also don't think the Broncos immediately dropped Kennedy -- they waited until he wanted more money than they wanted to pay to do so.
Come on. I could come up with hundreds of dirty plays in EVERY team's history, and I seriously doubt every player who committed each play was immediately dropped. To be honest, while the hit was clearly illegal, it wasn't clearly INTENTIONAL, it was just bad form. If you want to make a case for a Denver player playing intent-to-injure, the correct player to highlight would be Romanowski, or possibly Dan Neil. Romanowski definitely. Romo was dirty... but if you think there was a team out there that wouldn't have signed him, you're delusional.As for the blocking... you're right, Denver still does it more than most teams (except Atlanta). But that's besides the point. What, is it not dirty if a team does it 20% of the time, but it IS dirty of a team does it 60% of the time?

And I don't get what rules Shanahan has played fast and loose with? Unless you're referring to the time that Plummer injured his shoulder and Shanahan said DURING THE GAME that it was a head injury, so that if he was forced to put Plummer back into the game, the other team wouldn't intentionally target the shoulder? The game where Shanny admitted immediately afterwards that it was a shoulder injury, and he only lied to protect Plummer? Oh yeah, dirty Shanahan, how dare he protect his players. I'm sure he's the only coach who has mislead about an injury in the middle of a game (when it doesn't make any competitive difference, anyway, unlike lying on the weekly injury report).

Sorry if I'm laying it on thick, but I dealt with this whole "Denver is Dirty" thing for years after the superbowls, and it's simply not true.

Edit: At least Denver's never had a player nicknamed "The Assassin", and nobody in Denver has ever forced the league to create new rules to protect its players.

I like Jake and Jake as QBsI like Alexander and Bettis as RBsI like Hines Ward and Steven Smith as WRsI like the Panther and Steelers DefBut more than all the players I like left in the playoffs,I really Hate Shanahan

Users who are viewing this thread