What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Vikings offseason = effing Trainwreck (1 Viewer)

We have a loony, liar big-time wannabe come in and try to buy the Vikings, only to find out that the guy has shady financing and his deal falls apart a little more every day.

I can't decide if it better if Fowler gets the team because anything is better than Red McCombs. Liar wannabe versus stingy hick-Texan

We have one of the most prolific offenses in the league, so we get rid of our offensive coordinator b/c we won't offer him a multiple year deal. Thanks Red.

We re-sign our head coach who, although entertaining in a quaint meat-head-sort-of-way, has shown no ability to control this team and coach at the NFL level.

Then, we trade one of the best talents ever to wear purple for an underperforming linebacker and a couple of picks.

SERIOUSLY!!!!!! :hot: :rant: :hot: :rant: AAARRRGHHHHHHHHHHH......

And in case any of you have forgotten, the last time we had two first round draft picks, we drafted Dimitrius Underwood... :hot:

This is a bad month to be a Vikings Fan. :bag:

We have a loony, liar big-time wannabe come in and try to buy the Vikings, only to find out that the guy has shady financing and his deal falls apart a little more every day.

I can't decide if it better if Fowler gets the team because anything is better than Red McCombs. Liar wannabe versus stingy hick-Texan

We have one of the most prolific offenses in the league, so we get rid of our offensive coordinator b/c we won't offer him a multiple year deal. Thanks Red.

We re-sign our head coach who, although entertaining in a quaint meat-head-sort-of-way, has shown no ability to control this team and coach at the NFL level.

Then, we trade one of the best talents ever to wear purple for an underperforming linebacker and a couple of picks.

SERIOUSLY!!!!!! :hot: :rant: :hot: :rant: AAARRRGHHHHHHHHHHH......

And in case any of you have forgotten, the last time we had two first round draft picks, we drafted Dimitrius Underwood... :hot:

This is a bad month to be a Vikings Fan. :bag:
... but your music scene is off the hook!

As legit as your venting is right now, you need to let the whole offseason play out before you declare it a disaster. The Vikes have a TON of cap room to work with and could come out of this ahead when it's all done and said... Or at least ahead of where they are as of right now.And if they don't, well at least you guys still have 3 solid running backs on the roster. ;)

I'm neither a MIN or OAK fan, but I think most Vike fans are ignoring the value of Napolean Harris. This guy will be a HUGE upgrade over oft-injured Claiborne. The LB corp for the Vikes is loaded with young talent (Henderson, D. Thomas, Harris) and should be dominating for the foreseeable future. If you couple together both K. Williams and Udeze, you have the making of a potentially dominating D.I think it was an even trade from both ends.

I'm neither a MIN or OAK fan, but I think most Vike fans are ignoring the value of Napolean Harris. This guy will be a HUGE upgrade over oft-injured Claiborne. The LB corp for the Vikes is loaded with young talent (Henderson, D. Thomas, Harris) and should be dominating for the foreseeable future. If you couple together both K. Williams and Udeze, you have the making of a potentially dominating D.

I think it was an even trade from both ends.
I think it is way too early to be declaring a trade even from both ends when the best player in the league gets traded for a pretty good defensive player and a first rounder.

I think Al Davis :own3d: McCombs on this deal. Almost like a monkey trying to play with a boa constrictor. Never trade the best receiver in the league for a shot at a rookie wr.Downgrade Culpepper. Has to be something in the water up there.

I'm neither a MIN or OAK fan, but I think most Vike fans are ignoring the value of Napolean Harris. This guy will be a HUGE upgrade over oft-injured Claiborne. The LB corp for the Vikes is loaded with young talent (Henderson, D. Thomas, Harris) and should be dominating for the foreseeable future. If you couple together both K. Williams and Udeze, you have the making of a potentially dominating D.

I think it is way too early to be declaring a trade even from both ends when the best player in the league gets traded for a pretty good defensive player and a first rounder.
Great idea, Kutta! We should also refrain from discussing the upcoming '05 season until it has been completed. :X

Yeah, but you forget how dominating the Vikings LB corps was... they were just pretending to be inept!

The 2000 Jets traded away Keyshawn Johnson (who at the time, was not far below Randy Moss' current level. Sure at their peaks Moss was way better, but Moss is coming off his worst year and Keyshawn was coming off his best), lost Bill Parcells, lost Bill Belichick, and did not have an owner.They managed to handle things alright, starting off 4-0 and finishing 9-7. Certainly, they didn't just collapse as a franchise.Trading away a star WR and getting new ownership may be scary, but it doesn't have to bring doom.

Great idea, Kutta! We should also refrain from discussing the upcoming '05 season until it has been completed. :X
:confused:

I think Al Davis :own3d: McCombs on this deal. Almost like a monkey trying to play with a boa constrictor. Never trade the best receiver in the league for a shot at a rookie wr.

Downgrade Culpepper.

Has to be something in the water up there.
lol one caller on KFAN said this one Red's one final #### you to Minnesota.

The 2000 Jets traded away Keyshawn Johnson (who at the time, was not far below Randy Moss' current level. Sure at their peaks Moss was way better, but Moss is coming off his worst year and Keyshawn was coming off his best), lost Bill Parcells, lost Bill Belichick, and did not have an owner.

They managed to handle things alright, starting off 4-0 and finishing 9-7. Certainly, they didn't just collapse as a franchise.

Trading away a star WR and getting new ownership may be scary, but it doesn't have to bring doom.
They are taking a chance trading but if the Vikings can get Mike Williams I think they will be in good shape. Moss isn't getting any younger and as far as I can tell he doesn't take care of himself the best so he might not have anywhere to go but down from here. Except for 2003, he's had 3 below expected years out of his last 4. In 2001 and 2002 he was the 5th ranked FF WR - great but not good enough for the undisputed 'best' WR in football.

The 2000 Jets traded away Keyshawn Johnson (who at the time, was not far below Randy Moss' current level. Sure at their peaks Moss was way better, but Moss is coming off his worst year and Keyshawn was coming off his best), lost Bill Parcells, lost Bill Belichick, and did not have an owner.

They managed to handle things alright, starting off 4-0 and finishing 9-7. Certainly, they didn't just collapse as a franchise.

Trading away a star WR and getting new ownership may be scary, but it doesn't have to bring doom.
One thing, Keyshawn went to Dungy-land where it was run run runmoss to Al 'hail mary' Davis... add a running back and that division will be all shook up...

One thing, Keyshawn went to Dungy-land where it was run run runmoss to Al 'hail mary' Davis... add a running back and that division will be all shook up...
I thought of this trade too - can't believe the Jets got more for Keyshawn than the Vikes did for Moss! WOW. It is true though - maybe its addition by subtraction - I'm sure more moves will follow -Mason would be a good start!

:rotflmao:

I think the Vikings will go after the of the big 4 WR free agents. Burress,Musin,Coles, Mason. One of these WRs would be crazy not to want to go to Minn. and be the #1 WR.

Ditching Moss = best thing that could have happened to MNSeriously.. enough is enough with that clown. All the talent in the world, but he doesn't live up to it, what's the use? Good riddance.

I thought of this trade too - can't believe the Jets got more for Keyshawn than the Vikes did for Moss! WOW. It is true though - maybe its addition by subtraction - I'm sure more moves will follow -Mason would be a good start!
They got less for Moss than the Jets did for Keyshawn, but they got more than the Colts did for Faulk.

:goodposting: I'll grant your naysayers that this offseason has yet to play out and certainly there are defensive players in place. However, this team is in disarray. The bottom line is the Vikes have been in auto-pilot ever since Red McCombs set his mind to selling. There has been no GM since Dennis Green assumed that position and left. The Vikes have front office and coaching positions vaporizing into thin air with responsibilities being allocated to people who already have other full-time responsibilities. I believe I read recently that the Vikings have the lowest front office payroll and that's how you become that. If this team happens to stumble upon success while making the cheapest possible decision 100% of the time, it will be a minor micacle. And I don't think people should be holding out hope that football decisions and talent assessment are going to be strongpoints in the foreseeable future working with a skeleton crew who probably has to beg and plead for plane tickets. And while we're on the foreseeable future, lets acknowledge there is a very real possibilitty that Fowler and his alleged $400 net worth gets declined by the NFL, and that means no serious suitors for the team and no sale. Team in autopilot, minimum cap spend, no coaching contracts beyond 2005 and no reason for FAs to align themselves with a generally lame duck team.

I think the Vikings will go after the of the big 4 WR free agents. Burress,Musin,Coles, Mason. One of these WRs would be crazy not to want to go to Minn. and be the #1 WR.
The Vikes won't spend that kind of cash.

Ditching Moss = best thing that could have happened to MN

Seriously.. enough is enough with that clown. All the talent in the world, but he doesn't live up to it, what's the use? Good riddance.
His numbers have him on pace to finish ahead of every WR ever other than Jerry Rice. Hes led them to the playoffs multiple times. With him, their offense has always been one of the best in the league. What has he not lived up to?

Seriously.. enough is enough with that clown.  All the talent in the world, but he doesn't live up to it, what's the use?  Good riddance.
His numbers have him on pace to finish ahead of every WR ever other than Jerry Rice. Hes led them to the playoffs multiple times. With him, their offense has always been one of the best in the league. What has he not lived up to?
Exactly.... I need to sleep on this whole thing, but I am not happy with the direction of our team.

I appreciate the analogy with the Jets that was mentioned earlier, but IIRC they also ended with 4 first round draft picks the year that Keyshawn was traded. That certainly helps get things heading back in the right direction...

Vikings settled for the #7 pick. They wanted something a few spots lower, so they'll have to let the clock run out on them a few times on draft day.

Seriously.. enough is enough with that clown. All the talent in the world, but he doesn't live up to it, what's the use? Good riddance.
Exactly.... I need to sleep on this whole thing, but I am not happy with the direction of our team.

I appreciate the analogy with the Jets that was mentioned earlier, but IIRC they also ended with 4 first round draft picks the year that Keyshawn was traded. That certainly helps get things heading back in the right direction...
Sure they got three extra first round picks. That's cause the Bucs took Keyshawn and the Patriots took Belichick. It helped the Jets so much, that Keyshawn and Belichick have won...The last four Super Bowls. :bag:

Vikings settled for the #7 pick. They wanted something a few spots lower, so they'll have to let the clock run out on them a few times on draft day.
:rotflmao: In fairness, they still got Williams after that fiasco.

I guess it is surprising me that nobody is taking more of a contrarian position related to the Moss deal. As a Vikings fan, I wish the team could have gotten more if they decided to pull the trigger on a deal. However, I also was thinking this afternoon about:1. The level of distraction that Moss brings into our locker room.2. The fact that he has struggled with back spasms, groin/hammie problems and other health-related issues for a good part of the past two seasons.3. The fact that he is 28, and his conditioning and work ethic does not seem to hold a candle to some of the WR warriors like Jerry Rice, Tim Brown, etc. who had success playing into their mid-30s and beyond (aka how many more "top" productive seasons does Moss have left?).4. Related to #3, the fact that Moss' primary weapon has generally been his speed. As he ages and/or struggles with injuries, he will come back to the pack a bit when it comes to his 40 time.5. Moss' tendency to take plays off and/or not lay it all out there when crossing the middle.6. The fact that a top WR talent such as Mike Williams might, by some act of God, be available when the Vikings are on the clock at #7 overall (insert Tice draft management jokes here), and that Williams will be in his NFL prime while Randy Moss is pimpin' rides and air conditioners post-NFL career.I'm not saying that all is well in Winter Park! However, dealing Moss is not nearly as much of a "trainwreck" that it might seem on paper. Now if we could only get get a real owner (Glen Taylor) and a head coach...... :rolleyes: :bag: :no:

:rotflmao:  :rotflmao:  :rotflmao:  :rotflmao:  :rotflmao:  :rotflmao:

:cheese:
Laugh it up cheesedick. The Packers are closing in on their cellar dwellar years with the impending departure of Brett Fav-rah. Karma is a #####. :popcorn:

Last edited by a moderator:
As legit as your venting is right now, you need to let the whole offseason play out before you declare it a disaster. The Vikes have a TON of cap room to work with and could come out of this ahead when it's all done and said... Or at least ahead of where they are as of right now.

And if they don't, well at least you guys still have 3 solid running backs on the roster. ;)
:goodposting: I know it seems dark now, but the Vikings are projected to have almost $36mm in cap room this year! :eek: Add to that two high first round picks and this team could have a massive talent infusion in a hurry.

Now I know Vikes fans point to Red's unwillingness to spend $$$ in the past, and that will be the litmus test. There is no way Vikings fans should accept any excuses this offseason. The Vikings have the currency to go out and outbid anyone they want for any free agent; if they can convince their key FA targets to come to Minny (and the almighty $$$$ talks for many), this could be a very solid offseason.

Lots of IFS at this point, granted, but WAY too early to scream bloody murder yet.

I for one like the position the Vikings are in right now. Certainly it depends on which directions they take going forward but the team is set at QB, solid at receiver and offensive line, deep at running back and do have young, talented defensive players that have potential to get better. Add to that two 1st round picks and this could end up being a very GOOD offseason for the club.Way to early to panic yet Viking fans.

Why not. I read the Viks will have 36 million in cap room.

The Vikings could also look at receiver at # 7 in the draft if they wish. There are many potential studs at the position coming out in this year's draft. If by some miracle Mike Williams is available there (I don't think he will be), the Vikings would be ready to pile up the points once again.

Red McCombs is one of the cheapest owners in the league, and Reggie Fowler doesn't HAVE this type of money to spend on free agents...They let their offensive coordinator go b/c they didn't want to pay him a modest increase in salary, and they kept Mike Tice because he is willing to be a head coach on a coordinators salary...

And just to clarify, I didn't say in my original post that the sky was falling, I said it's a lousy month to be a Vikings fan... Thank goodness it ends in a few days. :)

I'll be keeping my fingers crossed that April is as good as I am hoping it will be...

but in the meantime, I have a feeling we are in for more chaos (resolving ownership issue, and beginning of FA period when we get outbid for the top WRs) before it gets better...

Just an FYI, and no I didn't check the other Moss/Viking threads, Michael Bennett called into the radio last night. He said that he first heard of the deal when it flashed across ESPN yesterday. MB also said that he was prompted to call in when he heard all the speculation about Randy being a cancer in the locker room. He said that Randy was a big part why we have seen the emergence of Burleson and Kelly Cam this past year, he works alot with the younger players, and he does a ton of charity work that noone hears about. The locker room part of the speculation, according to him, is unwarranted and false.

I think Al Davis  :own3d: McCombs on this deal. Almost like a monkey trying to play with a boa constrictor.  Never trade the best receiver in the league for a shot at a rookie wr.

Downgrade Culpepper. 

Has to be something in the water up there.
lol one caller on KFAN said this one Red's one final #### you to Minnesota.
As crazy as it sounds, I dont disagree with this.

I think Taylor will. He has the fan base, people will come. He needs his stadium deal and the rest will fall into place.

That's the way I see it, get one of the FA WR's, Lord knows they have the cap space. Don't take a wr at 1.7, grab a player to bolster the D. I'm not a Vikes fan, so I'm not sure what position needs the most help, but, I'm thinking it's in the secondary.

So The Viking picks are what #11 and #23 right? Sorry that's what they'll be on draft day when they neglect the clock again ;) Maybe the Jets can loan them **** Curl to do their draft clock management.-QG

That's the way I see it, get one of the FA WR's, Lord knows they have the cap space. Don't take a wr at 1.7, grab a player to bolster the D. I'm not a Vikes fan, so I'm not sure what position needs the most help, but, I'm thinking it's in the secondary.

There is only one problem with this scenario. FA signings start next Wednesday. There is no way Red McCombs starts signing free agents and paying signing bonuses when he is done with the team. The earliest Fowler would be approved as the owner would be after the owners meeting at the end of next month, and by that time it is very likely that a number of these guys will be off the market...

I think Taylor will. He has the fan base, people will come. He needs his stadium deal and the rest will fall into place.
The only problem is Talyor stepped up to late to buy the team. Lets hope Fowler will spend the money. Personally 1st, Nap. Harris and 7th rounder is not enough... Its a sad day in purpleville...

That's the way I see it, get one of the FA WR's, Lord knows they have the cap space.  Don't take a wr at 1.7, grab a player to bolster the D.  I'm not a Vikes fan, so I'm not sure what position needs the most help, but, I'm thinking it's in the secondary.

There is only one problem with this scenario. FA signings start next Wednesday. There is no way Red McCombs starts signing free agents and paying signing bonuses when he is done with the team. The earliest Fowler would be approved as the owner would be after the owners meeting at the end of next month, and by that time it is very likely that a number of these guys will be off the market...
That's a good point. I hadn't thought about McCombs not spending FA money like a normal owner interested in winning would. If they don't sign a WR, drafting Mike Williams (if he's still there at #7) is a done deal if only to make a splashy pick to make it up to the fans.

If they do sign one (a WR that is), I'd like to see them draft either Pac-Man Jones, Antrell Rolle, or Erasmus James.

Edit: Another option, probably the best, would be Derrick Johnson. But doubtful they'd make that pick after picking up Harris.

The sky isn't falling. There's no way they were going to win a Super Bowl with that sort of distraction. Bad defense or good defense, it wouldn't matter.

I no longer view Taylor as a serious bidder. Seemingly the only thing that was causing Taylor to put in a legitimate bid was Fowler (assuming you even believe that Taylor's "$400 mil now and $200 contingent on new stadium" brainchild was a legit bid). If Fowler is not approved I'd put the odds at 75% that Red keeps the team and waits out the stadium and increased TV revenues another year or two.

If the reported compensation is accurate, Minnesota didn't get NEAR enough. Look at it this way...if Moss was in this draft, he'd be the #1 overall pick by a landslide. Could you use the 7th overall & Nap Harris to move up to the 1-hole to take a sure-fire superstar? No way, LOL. I don't understand those who say it was a fairly even deal.That said, if the players united & expressed that Moss had to go, then the Vikes' brass didn't have much choice, IMO. You often don't get good value when you get locked into something. Obviously, the teams interested in Moss' services smelled blood & weren't going to give fair market value. They took the best offer & ran.

If the reported compensation is accurate, Minnesota didn't get NEAR enough. Look at it this way...if Moss was in this draft, he'd be the #1 overall pick by a landslide. Could you use the 7th overall & Nap Harris to move up to the 1-hole to take a sure-fire superstar? No way, LOL. I don't understand those who say it was a fairly even deal.
I am a big Randy Moss fan, but it's not at all clear that Randy Moss would be the #1 overall pick given that he would have to be paid $9 million per year, which is more than the #1 pick actually gets.

Users who are viewing this thread