What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

'The Wolverine' Trailer (1 Viewer)

cstu

Footballguy
Trailer link

Has Wolverine found his kryptonite? And how will the rage-filled mutant who can heal from virtually any wound deal with the possibility of his own mortality? These are a few of the questions that a new trailer for “The Wolverine” raises.

“The Wolverine” trailer, released Wednesday morning, opens with beautiful and deadly Japanese ninja Yukio (Rila Fukushima) confessing to Hugh Jackman’s Wolverine that she has been searching for him for more than a year. They get on a plane to Japan, where a very rich and sickly man has a gift for Wolverine. During World War II, Wolverine saved this man’s life by shielding him from a nuclear blast. Now it’s time to repay the debt.

“I didn’t send for you only to thank you, Logan,” the man says, reclining on a bed made of thick metal pins. “I want to repay you. A gift to equal the life you gave me. You have suffered long enough. I can end your eternity — make you mortal.”

Mortality? Wolverine doesn’t think it is possible. “What they did to me, what I am, can’t be undone,” he responds.

But this old man, and an attractive blond in a lab coat who is perched nearby, appear to have done their research. “Don’t be so sure,” he says.

After scenes of Yukio fighting off armed assassins, and Wolverine getting shot in the abdomen, we hear him say in voice-over: “I’m not healing.”

“The Wolverine,” is set to open in theaters on July 26. It was directed by James Mangold, who is best known for dramas such as 1999′s “Girl, Interrupted” and 2005′s Johnny Cash biopic “Walk the Line.”

The film borrows its scenic storyline from Chris Claremont’s and Frank Miller’s moody tale of love, revenge and isolation.
Hypervillain · 25 minutes ago

It's great and all, but it seems very misguided. Logan's healing factor is nothing anyone has done to him, it's what makes him a mutant. Done to him, implies his adamantium laced skeleton and retractible claws. Also, one annoying tibit that persists in my mind, is the Wolverine is suppose to be a 5'2" pint size terror, not a 6'2" towering menace. His height was a fundamental part of his character that complemented his personality. Or at least partially responsible for it.

Whatever, probably watch it anyway, it's all flash without substance I'll bet...

Yeah the healing is what allowed them to attach the admantium to his skeleton. It is part of him just like normal healing is for any person. There is no way to "remove" it short of radically changing his genome. And BTW they have explored this pretty heavily in the comics and the power to heal always wins out.

:nerd:

This sounds really lame. But I'm pretty biased because I do not like the Wolverine character at all.

The far more interesting and compelling "healing factor/can't die" character is Deadpool, but he was done incredibly bad in the first wolverine flick.

Yeah the healing is what allowed them to attach the admantium to his skeleton. It is part of him just like normal healing is for any person. There is no way to "remove" it short of radically changing his genome. And BTW they have explored this pretty heavily in the comics and the power to heal always wins out. :nerd:
I seem to remember after Magneto ripped the adamantium from his bones, he sprouted bone claws and it was revealed that his healing factor was fighting the bonding for a long time, and went haywire as a result.

To be fair, the "I'm not healing" line could just as easily be him talking about the emotional hurts done to him.

I was under the impression that this was going to be the story from the classic mini series. Didn't see anything there from it, other than it being in Japan. The last one was less than good but a whole new team is doing this one so hopefully it's good. For some reason, I like The Wolverine better than just Wolverine

Yeah the healing is what allowed them to attach the admantium to his skeleton. It is part of him just like normal healing is for any person. There is no way to "remove" it short of radically changing his genome. And BTW they have explored this pretty heavily in the comics and the power to heal always wins out. :nerd:
There have been times in the comics that he lost his healing factor for a short time (like when he was around mutants that steal powers like Leech) and he nearly died from adamntium poisioning. Anyway, not looking forward to this movie all that much. I love the comic that they're using as the template for this movie, but it seems like they're going to change way too much.

This sounds really lame. But I'm pretty biased because I do not like the Wolverine character at all.

The far more interesting and compelling "healing factor/can't die" character is Deadpool, but he was done incredibly bad in the first wolverine flick.
I actually think Reynolds was fine in the opening sequence (smart-### turned bad-### when he needed to), but the crap at the end was terrible.

Yeah the healing is what allowed them to attach the admantium to his skeleton. It is part of him just like normal healing is for any person. There is no way to "remove" it short of radically changing his genome. And BTW they have explored this pretty heavily in the comics and the power to heal always wins out.

There have been times in the comics that he lost his healing factor for a short time (like when he was around mutants that steal powers like Leech) and he nearly died from adamntium poisioning. Anyway, not looking forward to this movie all that much. I love the comic that they're using as the template for this movie, but it seems like they're going to change way too much.
Yeah the occurred to me last night. If they remove the healing factor that's the only thing keeping the admantium from killing him. He doesn't have to catch a bullet.

To be fair, the "I'm not healing" line could just as easily be him talking about the emotional hurts done to him.
:lmao:
I'm actually pretty serious. The guy is practically immortal, meaning that he's likely to outlive any possible love interests, and if I'm remembering my comics correctly, his Japanese love interest was killed by an enemy of his, meaning that they're all in danger because of who he is. That would weigh heavily on almost anyone.

I'm actually pretty serious. The guy is practically immortal, meaning that he's likely to outlive any possible love interests, and if I'm remembering my comics correctly, his Japanese love interest was killed by an enemy of his, meaning that they're all in danger because of who he is. That would weigh heavily on almost anyone.
If you think about it's a good thing he kind of grudgingly likes the Hulk. It may be just them and the roaches at some point. Both are essentially immortal.

If you think about it's a good thing he kind of grudgingly likes the Hulk. It may be just them and the roaches at some point. Both are essentially immortal.
yeah, but with the way the marvel time-line has tended to age (peter parker has gone from like 16 to what.. 35?) in 50 years... i figure by the time i'm ready to die he might be in his 40's.

One of my favorite little quirky stories about Wolverine is that whenever he is hurt enough to lose consciousness he goes to a dark place where he fights death, hes never lost and every time he wins he comes back to life. But everytime he dies there is another dead person there that he loved trying to convince him to lose.

Great Panel

Can't find the damn panel where he is actually fighting death.

the guy could have found a way to remove his mutant healing factor

nullifying powers/curing mutants is something that has been examined before. Don't assume the context of the "what they did" line is directly relating to the healing factor/immortality

'NCCommish said:
'Deranged Hermit said:

Yeah the occurred to me last night. If they remove the healing factor that's the only thing keeping the admantium from killing him. He doesn't have to catch a bullet.
Maybe they'll explore this in the movie.

'NCCommish said:
'Kal El said:
'cstu said:
'Kal El said:
Did someone call for the Hulk?http://l.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/cgeXNWX9FFFDk6bGBf8WDg--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7cT04NQ--/http://media.zenfs.com/en/blogs/sptusnflexperts/veldheerresize.jpghttp://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/oakland-raiders-tackle-jared-veldheer-muscles-top-muscles-151345408--nfl.html

the guy could have found a way to remove his mutant healing factornullifying powers/curing mutants is something that has been examined before. Don't assume the context of the "what they did" line is directly relating to the healing factor/immortality
Meh, I don't think so. There have been cases like this where as soon as whatever was keeping him down was no longer around he just regenerated, even after death. Deadpool has a healing factor based on Wolverines that is nowhere near as powerful, Deadpool has regenerated from near nothingness a couple of times.

'NCCommish said:
'Kal El said:
'cstu said:
'Kal El said:
Did someone call for the Hulk?http://l.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/cgeXNWX9FFFDk6bGBf8WDg--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7cT04NQ--/http://media.zenfs.com/en/blogs/sptusnflexperts/veldheerresize.jpg

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/oakland-raiders-tackle-jared-veldheer-muscles-top-muscles-151345408--nfl.html
Oh yeah that was just from vitamins.

'NCCommish said:
'Kal El said:
'cstu said:
'Kal El said:
Did someone call for the Hulk?http://l.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/cgeXNWX9FFFDk6bGBf8WDg--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7cT04NQ--/http://media.zenfs.com/en/blogs/sptusnflexperts/veldheerresize.jpghttp://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/oakland-raiders-tackle-jared-veldheer-muscles-top-muscles-151345408--nfl.html
Holy crap, the guy looks like he ate a tank.

'NCCommish said:
'Kal El said:
'cstu said:
'Kal El said:
Read Old Man Logan.

Saw it as a matinee. It was entertaining and about a bazillion times better than the previous wolverine movie.

Disclaimer: I am not a comic book to movie purist.

I enjoyed it. My daughter and I put it 4th of the 6th Xmen movies in terms of quality trailing 1, 2, and First Class but way ahead of 3 and Wolverine Origins.

Fantastic end scene during the credits. A near perfect lead in to Days of Future Past next summer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Enough action for my 12 year old son to enjoy it?? I'm good with character development...he wants action. Thoughts?
It is not wall to wall action but there is plenty of fun to keep a 12 year old entertained. The movies theme is based almost entirely around an event in The Last Stand so make sure he has seen the original trilogy first.

So will all the xmen movies co-exist? Nothing is a reboot? Xmen 1-3, first class, origins, futures past, and this all are coordinated? No discrepancies?

So will all the xmen movies co-exist? Nothing is a reboot? Xmen 1-3, first class, origins, futures past, and this all are coordinated? No discrepancies?
There is a possible small descrepency in First Class in terms of when Xavier loses the use of his legs but that is minor. There are a few other minor things mostly caused from the Wolverine origin movie but can be ignored in a fantasy setting, at least that is how I am handling it. :) Days of Future Past will be fascinating since both casts will be in the movie.

Enough action for my 12 year old son to enjoy it?? I'm good with character development...he wants action. Thoughts?
It is not wall to wall action but there is plenty of fun to keep a 12 year old entertained. The movies theme is based almost entirely around an event in The Last Stand so make sure he has seen the original trilogy first.
He has seen all of the x men movies.
Sweet!

Make sure you stays through the credits (extra scene is during the credits). I couldn't believe the amount of people who missed that gem by leaving too soon.

Sweet!

Make sure you stays through the credits (extra scene is during the credits). I couldn't believe the amount of people who missed that gem by leaving too soon.
can you spoiler tag or PM me the details on what the scene was in the credits? I'm not a wolverine fan so I won't see this movie for a long time if ever, but I like the X-men as a whole (especially Magneto) and do intend to see Days of Future Past (I enjoyed the comic version of the story.. although i imagine they won't make it as Kitty Pryde centric as the book was)

Sweet!Make sure you stays through the credits (extra scene is during the credits). I couldn't believe the amount of people who missed that gem by leaving too soon.
can you spoiler tag or PM me the details on what the scene was in the credits? I'm not a wolverine fan so I won't see this movie for a long time if ever, but I like the X-men as a whole (especially Magneto) and do intend to see Days of Future Past (I enjoyed the comic version of the story.. although i imagine they won't make it as Kitty Pryde centric as the book was)
Assuming you saw The Last Stand before reading this spoiler. This is a rough paraphrase. Credits Roll

Two years later

Logan in an American airport by himself

Waiting in line to go through metal detector

Logan watches a monitor which has an advertisement by Trask Industries, showing robots

Logan continues moving and then notices the bucket that hold peoples change start to shake

Then more metal items start to shake and rise as Logan stiffens

Hearing his name called by a familiar voice he turns to see Magneto (McKellen)

Magneto states he needs Logan's help to fight an enemy developing a weapon to destroy mutants

Logan asks why would I ever trust you

As Magneto starts to respond, I knew you wouldn't, everyone freezes but Logan and Magneto

Camera angle changes to behind Logan to show Professor X (Patrick Stewart)weaving through the crowd in his chair

Logan questions how this could be possible

Stewart reminds Logan that many years ago he informed Logan he was not the only one with gifts, with a smile

Fade to black and back to credits

This movie was way better than I anticipated it being. Someone else nailed the order of the movies:

XMen, X2, First Class, The Wolverine. Huge drop - Last Stand, another huge drop Origins

If you think about it's a good thing he kind of grudgingly likes the Hulk. It may be just them and the roaches at some point. Both are essentially immortal.[/]

http://scifi.stackexchange.com/questions/17597/could-the-hulk-become-powerful-enough-to-break-adamantium

/end nerd facts

Happy to report we really enjoyed it. I'll say I enjoyed it more than him, but he still liked it a lot. Very different than the "full speed ahead" superhero effects flicks of late. I can't imagine anyone else playing Logan but Jackman...what a perfect fit he is for that role.

And the extra scene had us leaving the theater pumped about Days of Future Past. We talked about it all the way home...time to pull my comics out of where I have them stored and let him read that story arc.

Happy to report we really enjoyed it. I'll say I enjoyed it more than him, but he still liked it a lot. Very different than the "full speed ahead" superhero effects flicks of late. I can't imagine anyone else playing Logan but Jackman...what a perfect fit he is for that role.

And the extra scene had us leaving the theater pumped about Days of Future Past. We talked about it all the way home...time to pull my comics out of where I have them stored and let him read that story arc.
Awesome! Nothing better than geeking out to these with your kids.

Credits scene sounds lame. Why is everyone creamin their shorts over it?
It was brilliant if you are a fan of the series and are looking forward to Days of Future Past even a little.

Of all the extra scenes in comic book movies this was by far the best imo. It drew a great reaction at my theater from the audience.

Users who are viewing this thread