What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Think the Bengals will make the playoffs in 2006? (1 Viewer)

cstu

Footballguy
The Bengals' non-conference schedule next year:Home - Raiders, Chargers, Falcons, Panthers and Patriots (AFC East #1)Road - Broncos, Chiefs, Saints, Bucs and Colts (AFC South #1)Add that to a divison schedule that should be tougher next year and the Bengals looking at a long road to the playoffs next year.

The Bengals' non-conference schedule next year:

Home - Raiders, Chargers, Falcons, Panthers and Patriots (AFC East #1)

Road - Broncos, Chiefs, Saints, Bucs and Colts (AFC South #1)

Add that to a divison schedule that should be tougher next year and the Bengals looking at a long road to the playoffs next year.
The schedules for next year came out... can i have a link so i can check out other teams (wanna see the Eagles).On to the thread...

They can beat any of those teams on any given Sunday and just remember, the defense will be even better next year, the whole team will be more mature, experienced.... watch out!

Add that to a divison schedule that should be tougher next year and the Bengals looking at a long road to the playoffs next year.
The schedules for next year came out... can i have a link so i can check out other teams (wanna see the Eagles).On to the thread...

They can beat any of those teams on any given Sunday and just remember, the defense will be even better next year, the whole team will be more mature, experienced.... watch out!
Johnnyroadtrip.comOne blessing for having a bad season is that the Eagles get to play the Packers and 49ers.

I have no doubt that a more experienced Bengals team will be able to compete with everyone they face, but it's tough to beat good teams week after week like they will have to do.

Last edited by a moderator:

Johnnyroadtrip.com
Thanks!

Too early to determine who is good and who is not for next year. I'm sure many were excited to play the Bengals this year when they saw them on their schedule. :football:

Too early to determine who is good and who is not for next year. I'm sure many were excited to play the Bengals this year when they saw them on their schedule. :football:
The Bengals were an up and coming team that finished 8-8 last year despite a terrible defense. They did pretty much what people expected by going defense in the draft and it gave them a good defense to go along with their great offense.

The league doesn't need to expand. This 4 team, 4 division alignment makes a 16 game schedule way too easy to figure out. Thanks for the link.

I see a similarity between the Bengals in 05/06 and the Chargers of 04/05. San Diego is having a tough road, but are probably going to make the playoffs anyway, despite playing in a tougher division. Cincy should be fine, barring injury to Palmer or Chad Johnson.

If they can get some defensive line help, the Bengals will be very, very good next year. The offense is already elite, the defense needs a little work.

Some thougts:1. 8 of the games are determined by which division you are in. So these are the same for every team in the Bengal's division. And one of the teams has to win the division.2. As others have mentioned, there is no telling who will be good and who will be bad next year.

I see a similarity between the Bengals in 05/06 and the Chargers of 04/05. San Diego is having a tough road, but are probably going to make the playoffs anyway, despite playing in a tougher division. Cincy should be fine, barring injury to Palmer or Chad Johnson.
The Chargers and Bengals situations are very similar.The Bengals will definitely contend for the divison title next year but I think they will end up struggling to get into the playoffs the way the Chargers are this year. The entire divison should be better than it was this year and it will be a dogfight they way the AFC West has been.

Looking at that schedule, if the Bengals are not on national TV 3-4 times next year it would be a slap in the face.One national TV game (at Jacksonville) this year was bad enough.Those games against the Chargers and Colts would be two of the best MNF games of the year.Bengals will be fine.

Some thougts:

1. 8 of the games are determined by which division you are in. So these are the same for every team in the Bengal's division. And one of the teams has to win the division.

2. As others have mentioned, there is no telling who will be good and who will be bad next year.
True, but the Bengals will have a tougher time facing the Colts and Pats while the Steelers face the Jags and Dolphins. It's not that hard to tell which teams are going to be good next year, but injuries can change a team quickly - like the Eagles, Steelers and Pats.The Bengals are facing the Bills and Chiefs this year while that the Steelers had to play the Pats and Chargers and that remained the easiest matchup.

I still have to think that the Eagles are guaranteed two wins next year facing the Packers in Philly and the 49ers on the road. It is the NFL, but those are sweet matchups. Much better than the winning of the NFC East facing the Bears and Seahawks.

Last edited by a moderator:
With Palmer hurt and maybe not 100% by next season, I'm even more convinced that the Bengals will have a difficult 2006 season. I really hope I'm wrong since I think the Bengals have a great team and I'm a fan of Palmer and Johnson.

As was already said, weren't the supposed to have a hard schedule this year?
The Bengals had a 3rd place schedule and faced the Bills and Chiefs - oddly enough losing both after they had already clinched a playoff spot.

A lot of people probably forget the Bengals lost their best defensive player early in the year. Madieu Williams will be back and he makes that D a whole lot better. I suspect Marvin will get a starting DT or SS in the first round of the draft to help the defense even more. I expect the defense to take another step forward and paired with one of the most explosive offenses in the league I expect another trip to the playoffs. The only big question mark is how Palmer recovers from the knee.Who-dey!

Ouch, but I still think they have the talent to get to ten wins...Home - Raiders(W), Chargers(L), Falcons(W), Panthers(L) and Patriots(W)(AFC East #1)Road - Broncos(L), Chiefs(W), Saints(W), Bucs(W)and Colts(L) (AFC South #1)

I think we'll be fine if Palmer can be back at 100% by Week 3 or Week 4 next year. That's obviously the main concern. Another thing I'm really worried about is the Chad Johnson situation. The last thing we need is for him to become another mercurial player like Dillon was, who becomes a distraction for us but ends up being an inevitable steal for the team we're forced to deal him to. If Chad Johnson really did go out of line in that play-off game, and he really is getting special treatment from the coaching staff (which may consequently be alienating other players on the team, a notion which has been substantiated by PFT.com), he needs to be gone. Period. But I really, really hope that isn't the case, and moreso I hope that the team continues to focus on its goal the way it has since Lewis arrived.Assuming those issues will be taken care of when the season starts, this team is really only an impact DT/DE away from being serious Super Bowl contenders. If we got someone like Pat Williams on our defensive line while ridding ourselves of the horrendous John Thornton/Justin Smith contracts, I'd eat my own poop. Getting Madieu back and the fact that we look to be in a great position to address our need for another Safety or TE in the draft really bodes well for us heading into next season.

Ouch, but I still think they have the talent to get to ten wins...

Home - Raiders(W), Chargers(L), Falcons(W), Panthers(L) and Patriots(W)(AFC East #1)

Road - Broncos(L), Chiefs(W), Saints(W), Bucs(W)and Colts(L) (AFC South #1)
Here is my take (w/healthy Palmer)Wins - Games to kick yourself after losing

Browns (2)

Ravens (2)

Steelers (1)

Raiders

Falcons

Saints

Bucs

Total 9

Toss Ups - Games that could go either way. I think the Bengals match up well with the Pats and Broncos. Chargers and Panthers are in the Jungle.

Panthers

Chargers

Patriots

Broncos

Total 4

Losses - @ KC & @ Indy are tough. Bengals and Steelers will probably split next year.

Chiefs

Colts

Steelers (1)

Total 3

I think they're an example of a team that wins the division, but then doesn't play as well in the playoffs to build momentum for next year. The Steelers will have an easier schedule next year than CIN and they've got some great momentum. Another example of this was in the NFC South where Tampa won the division and gets the tougher schedule while Carolina got the wild card and easier schedule even though they had two great games in the playoffs. It will be interesting to see if that helps the Steelers and Panthers finish ahead of the Bengals and Bucs next year.

Some thougts:

1. 8 of the games are determined by which division you are in. So these are the same for every team in the Bengal's division. And one of the teams has to win the division.

2. As others have mentioned, there is no telling who will be good and who will be bad next year.
3 other division teams x 2 games each = 6. So actually, it's six division games, not eight (unless they are playing with themselves...........not that there is anything wrong with that, but I don't think that counts as an official game in the NFL's eyes)

Ouch, but I still think they have the talent to get to ten wins...

Home - Raiders(W), Chargers(L), Falcons(W), Panthers(L) and Patriots(W)(AFC East #1)

Road - Broncos(L), Chiefs(W), Saints(W), Bucs(W)and Colts(L) (AFC South #1)
Here is my take (w/healthy Palmer)Wins - Games to kick yourself after losing

Browns (2) - with the FA's, the Browns will be tough, call it a split

Ravens (2) - I think this is also a split

Steelers (1) - fair enough

Raiders - home game they should win

Falcons - tough but at home, I'll give it to them

Saints - @NO, should be a win but NO's offense might be clicking by then

Bucs - @TB, think they'll lose on the road

Total 9 - My total - 6

From the rest of these games, if they win more than 2 I'll be impressed.

Final prediction: Bengals finish 8-8 after a brutal schedule.

Toss Ups - Games that could go either way. I think the Bengals match up well with the Pats and Broncos. Chargers and Panthers are in the Jungle.

Panthers

Chargers

Patriots

Broncos

Total 4

Losses - @ KC & @ Indy are tough. Bengals and Steelers will probably split next year.

Chiefs

Colts

Steelers (1)

Total 3

The Bengals are a very healthy franchise right now (assuming Palmer comes back healthy). They are setting themselves up to be a contender for a nice period of time. For the first time in a long time (due to Marvin Lewis's leadership) they have become a very solid organization that has a plan in place. Right now that plan is being executed nicely and it's getting results on the field.

The issue with Cincy this year is can they make the transistion from a hungry up and coming team to a legit yearly contender. This year they will not be surprising anyone and teams will be prepared for them. They will not be getting any free rides and the schedule (on paper) is very challenging, especially at the end.

To me the key for Cincy rests on three things:

1) Palmer staying healthy. That's a pretty simple one. This is his team and without him all bets are off.

2) The D. It has been improving but it needs to be a lot better this year than last to be a contender. They need to prove they can win a game against a high quality opponent when the offense isn't clicking. That's usually the mark of a big time team. This is something you really won't know about until the season starts. I do think a draft that nets some immediate help would be a big plus.

3) The Chad Johnson factor. A Cincy gains more exposure it will be imperative that Chad Johnson mature. There is no question he is a stud. None at all. Yet, he needs to also become if not a leader than definetly less of a me-first guy. As the media coverage of the Bengal intensifies so will the chance for distractions. Chad needs to prove he can be a very positive influence for this team both on and off the field. This is a big year for him. He needs to become a veteran.

Cincy is a team I'll definetly be watching this year. I can see them as anything from a 9 win team to a 12/13 win monster for 06. Even if they have a tough year I still feel they are poised to do big things and it wouldn't surprise me one bit if it was this year either.

The Bengals' non-conference schedule next year:Home - Raiders, Chargers, Falcons, Panthers and Patriots (AFC East #1)Road - Broncos, Chiefs, Saints, Bucs and Colts (AFC South #1)Add that to a divison schedule that should be tougher next year and the Bengals looking at a long road to the playoffs next year.
I wanted to give props to the Bengals who I didn't think would do this well. It's early but winning in PIT was huge for them and they look good enough to overcome their harsh schedule.

I wanted to give props to the Bengals who I didn't think would do this well. It's early but winning in PIT was huge for them and they look good enough to overcome their harsh schedule.
Since I wrote this the Bengals have went 1-5 - like I said it's a brutal schedule. It does get a bit easier (@Saints, @Browns, Ravens and Raiders) before finishing the season with some tough matchups (@Colts, @Broncos and Steelers). They'll have to go at least 5-2 to make the playoffs.

Finished 8-8, which I think is pretty good considering their schedule and Palmer coming off injury.

Because of their 2nd place division finish, they get a pretty good draw with the Titans and Chiefs next year.

Finished 8-8, which I think is pretty good considering their schedule and Palmer coming off injury.Because of their 2nd place division finish, they get a pretty good draw with the Titans and Chiefs next year.
You say this as if they were actually better than either of those teams.

Finished 8-8, which I think is pretty good considering their schedule and Palmer coming off injury.Because of their 2nd place division finish, they get a pretty good draw with the Titans and Chiefs next year.
I think the Steelers actually got the worse schedule by finishing 3rd in the division. The Steelers will play Jacksonville at home (hopefully Dec.) and Denver on the road (always a tough place to play). At least the Ravens get Indianapolis at home and San Diego on the road.

I think the Steelers actually got the worse schedule by finishing 3rd in the division. The Steelers will play Jacksonville at home (hopefully Dec.) and Denver on the road (always a tough place to play). At least the Ravens get Indianapolis at home and San Diego on the road.
I agree, which is why I said that the Bengals got a good draw. I think most people would agree that overall talent-wise the Bengals match up very well with the Titans and Chiefs (remember they won at Arrowhead week 1). They also did well against the teams they were expected to beat (Browns 2x and the Raiders), with the exception being the loss at the Bucs by 1 point. They were 3-4 vs. playoff teams and 12 of their games were against teams with at least a 7-9 record.

Users who are viewing this thread