What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Thomas Jones in Indy = Top 5 RB (1 Viewer)

Rev

Footballguy
This thread is restricted to pure speculation and quixotic imagination regarding the prospective employment of TJ in Indy. Please note, Thomas Jones man-love :wub: is admissible herein.

Assume if you will that the hurtles to the TJ-to-Indy deal are removed and it actually happens. Speculate how it would change the FF value of Jones.

:wub: This Jones owners romantic reverie: :wub:

T. Jones has two consecutive 1000+ yard seasons under his belt on a team that has no passing game whatsoever. If grafted into the vine that is the Indianapolis Colts, I would expect nothing short of the following:

1800 total yards, including 45 receptions and 14 TDs

Last edited by a moderator:
Won't argue that, would be interesting. TJ would be huge in Indy.

I think Chicago is stupid to give him up for a third round pick. Benson has proven nothing, except that he sits out when he doesn't get the money he wants and when he has to carry the load he gets injured. The guy is weird, I am a huge longhorn fan and I don't even like the guy....

Thomas Jones did next to nothing over the course of his career before last season. Forgive me if I'm a bit skeptical.

Thomas Jones did next to nothing over the course of his career before last season. Forgive me if I'm a bit skeptical.
:unsure: I count 2 solid years in Chicago, and on an offense that couldn't pass to save its life.

2004 Chicago Bears 14 games, 240 carries for 948 yards (4.0) & 7 TD's

2005 Chicago Bears 15 games, 314 carries for 1335 yards (4.3) & 9 TD's

Also consider LeMont Jordan's stats before he started in Oakland:

Year Team G GS No Yards Avg Lg TD 20+ 40+ FD

2001 New York Jets 16 0 39 292 7.5 46 1 3 14

2002 New York Jets 14 0 84 316 3.8 61 3 1 17

2003 New York Jets 16 0 46 190 4.1 39 4 2 14

2004 New York Jets 16 0 93 479 5.2 33 2 3 27

2005 Oakland Raiders 14 14 272 1025 3.8 26 9 4 61

:fishing: :lmao: :lmao:

Granted, he isn't an elite RB, but that dude carried the Bears offense.

He'd be a Top 5 RB in Indy. He's helluva receiver and can block - he'd be a nice fit.

He'd be a Top 5 RB in Indy. He's helluva receiver and can block - he'd be a nice fit.
How is that fishing? The guy has had one good season. Do you disagree?

Thomas Jones did next to nothing over the course of his career before last season.  Forgive me if I'm a bit skeptical.

2 very good seasonsEdit:

manlove (see sig)

2 very good seasonsEdit:

manlove (see sig)
He also played very well in Tampa Bay, although he didn't get much playing time until the end of the season.

This is incorrect. In 2004 TJ was the only bright spot on an anemic offense. The defense did nothing but try to stop TJ in 2004. In 2005 it wasn't much better, but TJ did pretty well considering. The above statement shows someone that is only looking at the numbers and not scouted the actual play.

Link

Interesting.
Even more interesting is the last paragraph -But for the Colts, this could all be little more than a smokescreen. Allowing this rumor to spread will put a question mark in the heads of teams as to whether or not they'll actually use their first-rounder on a young back out of this year's draft, which strategically plays to their advantage on draft weekend.

This is incorrect. In 2004 TJ was the only bright spot on an anemic offense. The defense did nothing but try to stop TJ in 2004. In 2005 it wasn't much better, but TJ did pretty well considering. The above statement shows someone that is only looking at the numbers and not scouted the actual play.
I look at the numbers and I see 948 yards on 240 attempts. :yawn: How impressive. Put this guy down for 2,000 yards.

If you've seen Jones play, you know how hard he hits holes, creates yards, and catches the ball. He's a beast, whether in the open field or not.

Honestly, if Jones could play in a system like Indy (assuming he stays healthy), where opposing defenses couldn't stack the line of scrimmage, he has the potential of winning the freegin' rushing title... he could be that good.

Just for arguement's sake, I guess it comes down to which Indy would prefer:

RB Laurence Maroney (1.30) + LB Abdul Hodge (3.94)

Using the mock draft here:

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/sub/mockround3.html

or

RB Thomas Jones (in lieu of Hodge) + LB Roger McIntosh (the next LB drafted in this mock, but could be anyone available after 1.29 obviously)

Easy choice for me here... Jones + first round defensive talent.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

A first round calibre defensive player + a 1st round calibre RB with a little mileage.

or

A third round calibre defensive player + a 1st round calibre RB with unknown skills at the NFL level

Easy choice for me again.

Just for arguement's sake, I guess it comes down to which Indy would prefer:

RB Laurence Maroney (1.30) + LB Abdul Hodge (3.94)

Using the mock draft here:

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/sub/mockround3.html

or

RB Thomas Jones (in lieu of Hodge) + LB Roger McIntosh (the next LB drafted in this mock, but could be anyone available after 1.29 obviously)

Easy choice for me here... Jones + first round defensive talent.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

A first round calibre defensive player + a 1st round calibre RB with a little mileage.

or

A third round calibre defensive player + a 1st round calibre RB with unknown skills at the NFL level

Easy choice for me again.
:goodposting: Excellent analysis.

T. Jones has two consecutive 1000+ yard seasons under his belt on a team that has no passing game whatsoever.
LaDainian Tomlinson played three years for a team with pretty much no passing game and averaged over 1500 yards. When that team developed an effective passing game over the last two years, he averaged about 1400 yards. A passing attack does not equate to a RBs numbers going up.

T. Jones has two consecutive 1000+ yard seasons under his belt on a team that has no passing game whatsoever.
LaDainian Tomlinson played three years for a team with pretty much no passing game and averaged over 1500 yards. When that team developed an effective passing game over the last two years, he averaged about 1400 yards. A passing attack does not equate to a RBs numbers going up.
Have you noticed this trend with several RBs starting out on poor Os or just LT?how about TDs? (curious)

Have you noticed this trend with several RBs starting out on poor Os or just LT?

how about TDs? (curious)
He was the first one that came to mind. Name some other RBs that have been in that situation and I'd be happy to check it out.

Jones in Indy will knock on the door of Reggie Bush type production.
Assuming that isn't more fishing or a weak joke, just what is that supposed to mean exactly.....Tough call. Jones as a Colt is interesting and wouldn't blame the Colts at all for making the move, but as a Colt fan first I doubt Polian would do it, second doubt they could afford to anyway, and third would have a lot of "cautious" in the cautious optimism. Granted he has come on of late, but 05 notwithstanding, his career has been EXTREMELY disappointing/erratic.

Assuming that isn't more fishing or a weak joke, just what is that supposed to mean exactly.....Tough call. Jones as a Colt is interesting and wouldn't blame the Colts at all for making the move, but as a Colt fan first I doubt Polian would do it, second doubt they could afford to anyway, and third would have a lot of "cautious" in the cautious optimism. Granted he has come on of late, but 05 notwithstanding, his career has been EXTREMELY disappointing/erratic.
Keep in mind in Indy he wouldn't be expected to CARRY the team, as he was in Arizona and Chicago. It was RBBC in Tampa, so it's hard to really judge him down there. There's no question in my mind he'd outperform Reggie Bush in Texas if Indy traded for him. Bush would be getting used to the pounding of the NFL while splitting carries with Dom Davis behind an awful O-Line - whereas Jones would hit the ground running in Indy.

:o :loco: To assert that a solid passing attack wouldn't have a positive effect on TJ's numbers simply because LT2 had good stats is disingenuous. First, both LT and Gates were major receiving threats in San Diego, which in itself changed the way defenses could play the Chargers. Second, Drew Brees threw over 3000 yards and 24 TDs in each of his last 2 seasons. Obviously, they had a passing game, while Chicago was playing with 3rd string or rookie QB's and had no passing game the last 2 seasons. Also, I like the Chargers O-line a bit better than what Jones had to run behind. Finally, if you put Harrison, Wayne, and Manning next to LT2 and still gave him his touches, I would imagine that he would have the cabaility of increased production.

For a good example of how a passing attack helps rushers, take a look at Robert Smith's career in Minnesota, when the Vikings had a great passing game. Though he was no Emmit Smith or Barry Sanders, he became the leading rusher in Vikings history because of the space that the passing game created.

Keep in mind in Indy he wouldn't be expected to CARRY the team, as he was in Arizona and Chicago. It was RBBC in Tampa, so it's hard to really judge him down there. There's no question in my mind he'd outperform Reggie Bush in Texas if Indy traded for him. Bush would be getting used to the pounding of the NFL while splitting carries with Dom Davis behind an awful O-Line - whereas Jones would hit the ground running in Indy.
Stop it. Houston has an awful PASS BLOCKING line, they have an above average run blocking line. There is a HUGE difference when talking about the FF success of a RB.

Thomas Jones did next to nothing over the course of his career before last season.  Forgive me if I'm a bit skeptical.
I look at the numbers and I see 948 yards on 240 attempts. :yawn: How impressive. Put this guy down for 2,000 yards.
:wall: 4 yards a carry when the opposing team has ZERO worry about the passing game? You conveniently forgot to mention that TJ is an excellent reciver and added 56 reception for 427 yards. Oh yeah, he also missed 3 games. He finished about 17th for all RB's in fantasy and PPR league top 15. While health may be a legitimate concern of yours, he played well in 2004 with no support at all. With a little QB play he played very well in 2005. Like I said before you are just looking at the numbers and not at how well he played. Bears fans everywhere will tell you that he was the LONE bright spot on offense in 2004. I am not a TJ owner, but I like the Bears and watch every game

I think Thomas Jones going to Indy would be great, but I'm a biased TJ owner in a redraft league with 3 keepers 1 max per position. The question to me becomes, does TJ become a better keeper than Portis.

:wall: 4 yards a carry when the opposing team has ZERO worry about the passing game? You conveniently forgot to mention that TJ is an excellent reciver and added 56 reception for 427 yards. Oh yeah, he also missed 3 games. He finished about 17th for all RB's in fantasy and PPR league top 15. While health may be a legitimate concern of yours, he played well in 2004 with no support at all. With a little QB play he played very well in 2005. Like I said before you are just looking at the numbers and not at how well he played. Bears fans everywhere will tell you that he was the LONE bright spot on offense in 2004. I am not a TJ owner, but I like the Bears and watch every game
Let's not confuse this into thinking TJ did well when the passing game did poorly in '04. He did well when the passing game was doing ok, and when Grossman went down so did TJ. He averaged 3.5ypc after that and didn't run for 100 yards for the next 11 weeks, and in those three games with Grossman twice ran for more yards than he did in any of the next 13 without him.

For FF purposes TJ, on a weekly average, beat out the following players...

Steven Jackson, Deuce McAllister, Dunn, JJ, Carnell Williams, Droughns etc...

I would imagine with a passing game he would do even better...

It's supposed to mean that he'd be an elite fantasy back, along the lines of what Bush is being hyped to do.

To assert that a solid passing attack wouldn't have a positive effect on TJ's numbers simply because LT2 had good stats is disingenuous. First, both LT and Gates were major receiving threats in San Diego, which in itself changed the way defenses could play the Chargers. Second, Drew Brees threw over 3000 yards and 24 TDs in each of his last 2 seasons. Obviously, they had a passing game, while Chicago was playing with 3rd string or rookie QB's and had no passing game the last 2 seasons. Also, I like the Chargers O-line a bit better than what Jones had to run behind. Finally, if you put Harrison, Wayne, and Manning next to LT2 and still gave him his touches, I would imagine that he would have the cabaility of increased production.

For a good example of how a passing attack helps rushers, take a look at Robert Smith's career in Minnesota, when the Vikings had a great passing game. Though he was no Emmit Smith or Barry Sanders, he became the leading rusher in Vikings history because of the space that the passing game created.
Wow... either you didn't understand what I said or you enjoy proving other people's points. Yes, Gates was a major receiving threat. Yes, Brees was a major passer... in the last two years. This was my point. For the first three years of his career, Tomlinson did not play on a team that had no passing attack. During that time he averaged over 1500 yards while gaining over 1600 yards in his second and third seasons. The two most recent years, San Diego has had a very strong passing attack, and Tomlinson's numbers actually went down.We can't say that Robert Smith put up very strong numbers because he was a part of a strong passing attack because we have no idea what kind of numbers he would have put up had he not been part of that offense. It could be that he would have put up better numbers in an offense that centered primarily around him.

And if you have liked the Chargers' O-line from the past five years, you haven't been paying attention.

We can't say that Robert Smith put up very strong numbers because he was a part of a strong passing attack because we have no idea what kind of numbers he would have put up had he not been part of that offense. It could be that he would have put up better numbers in an offense that centered primarily around him.
:unsure: I guess I'm kind of speachless after hearing that. :mellow: According to this logic, if TJ and Edge were to swap teams last year, Edge would equal or surpass his production playing with Kyle Orton, while Jones would equal or decline in production while playing with Manning, Harrison, and Wayne. Clearly, such an assertion doesn't even deserve a discussion.

If you honestly don't belive that a solid passing game helps a running back's production (especially in PPR leagues), I would recommend starting a poll, asking guys on this site if a strong passing game helps or hurts a running back's production. My guess would be that nearly 100% would agree that it does.

I feel guilty wasting time trying to prove such an obvious point. :bag:

To assert that a solid passing attack wouldn't have a positive effect on TJ's numbers simply because LT2 had good stats is disingenuous.  First, both LT and Gates were major receiving threats in San Diego, which in itself changed the way defenses could play the Chargers.  Second, Drew Brees threw over 3000 yards and 24 TDs in each of his last 2 seasons.  Obviously, they had a passing game, while Chicago was playing with 3rd string or rookie QB's and had no passing game the last 2 seasons.  Also, I like the Chargers O-line a bit better than what Jones had to run behind.  Finally, if you put Harrison, Wayne, and Manning next to LT2 and still gave him his touches, I would imagine that he would have the cabaility of increased production.

For a good example of how a passing attack helps rushers, take a look at Robert Smith's career in Minnesota, when the Vikings had a great passing game.  Though he was no Emmit Smith or Barry Sanders, he became the leading rusher in Vikings history because of the space that the passing game created.
Wow... either you didn't understand what I said or you enjoy proving other people's points. Yes, Gates was a major receiving threat. Yes, Brees was a major passer... in the last two years. This was my point. For the first three years of his career, Tomlinson did not play on a team that had no passing attack. During that time he averaged over 1500 yards while gaining over 1600 yards in his second and third seasons. The two most recent years, San Diego has had a very strong passing attack, and Tomlinson's numbers actually went down.We can't say that Robert Smith put up very strong numbers because he was a part of a strong passing attack because we have no idea what kind of numbers he would have put up had he not been part of that offense. It could be that he would have put up better numbers in an offense that centered primarily around him.

And if you have liked the Chargers' O-line from the past five years, you haven't been paying attention.
You might want to check your assumptions. The Chargers passing game was very solidly in middle of the pack LT's first 3 years. 14, 16 & 15 in offensive rank for LT's 1st 3 years in the league. A lot of that has to do with how good LT is. A lot of it also has to do with Ryan Leaf no longer being under center.Chicago, by comparison, was 4th to last in total offense this year and dead last in '04. Your comparing apples and orange's here.

Who cares .

Everybody knows it wont happen so lets pass on to something else.

By the way you know what, Indy would be better off trying to get Lee Suggs for cheap.

Ok lots of badluck his first three seasons , but much better talent then Thomas Jones .

Who cares .

By the way you know what, Indy would be better off trying to get Lee Suggs for cheap.

Ok lots of badluck his first three seasons , but much better talent then Thomas Jones .
Lee Suggs is a charter member of the Kevan Barlow Inexplicably Overhyped FBG RB Club.

Who cares .

Anyone who posts that Lee Suggs is a better football player than Thomas Jones automatically loses any ounce of credibility they previously had.You couldn't possibly be more wrong here.

I guess I'm kind of speachless after hearing that. :mellow: According to this logic, if TJ and Edge were to swap teams last year, Edge would equal or surpass his production playing with Kyle Orton, while Jones would equal or decline in production while playing with Manning, Harrison, and Wayne. Clearly, such an assertion doesn't even deserve a discussion.

If you honestly don't belive that a solid passing game helps a running back's production (especially in PPR leagues), I would recommend starting a poll, asking guys on this site if a strong passing game helps or hurts a running back's production. My guess would be that nearly 100% would agree that it does.

I feel guilty wasting time trying to prove such an obvious point. :bag:
The only logic I am employing is that improving the passing attack that surrounds an RB does does automatically mean he is going to put up superior numbers. He may or he may not. You should feel guilty trying to prove something that is unprovable.I can give you another example. In 1980 Chuck Muncie went from a Saints team that had a fairly mediocre passing attack to one of the best passing teams in history (Air Coryell). No noticeable improvement. In fact, his best season was with the Saints.

Who cares .

:D Thats some funny stuff :popcorn: If TJ starts in indy he is a way better option than R Bush.

Have you noticed this trend with several RBs starting out on poor Os or just LT?

how about TDs? (curious)
He was the first one that came to mind. Name some other RBs that have been in that situation and I'd be happy to check it out.
Oh no you don't need to I just figured when you noticed a trend you were working on something. If ya feel like it still, I guess just run down the top pick RBs, their teams had to be bad for them to get one of the top picks.

Users who are viewing this thread