What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Thomas Jones to return earlier than expected? (1 Viewer)

placeholder10391

Footballguy
Bears | Jones Injury Update

Mon, 8 Nov 2004 13:11:17 -0800

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chicago Bears RB Thomas Jones (toe) missed the Week 9 game with a toe injury, but should return to play in Week 10 versus the Tennessee Titans, according to head coach Lovie Smith. Jones was initially diagnosed to miss 1 to 3 weeks of action.

Hopefully he comes back 100% and we can put some of this silly A-train talk to bed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Poo. That son of a gun oughta stay on the ding-danged bech where he darn well belongs!

Bears | Jones Injury Update

Mon, 8 Nov 2004 13:11:17 -0800

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chicago Bears RB Thomas Jones (toe) missed the Week 9 game with a toe injury, but should return to play in Week 10 versus the Tennessee Titans, according to head coach Lovie Smith. Jones was initially diagnosed to miss 1 to 3 weeks of action.

Hopefully he comes back 100% and we can put some of this silly A-train talk to bed.
link?

I think the Chicago coaching staff would be silly to not realize what Anthony Thomas has done so far, he has helped milk the clock when neccesary, break the big run on occassion and score a couple of TD's.I see Lovie Smith easing Thomas Jones in with the realization that the team has played well with Anthony Thomas in there.. This has an RBBC smell to it.

KFFL...

Bears | Jones Injury Update - from www.KFFL.comMon, 8 Nov 2004 13:11:17 -0800Chicago Bears RB Thomas Jones (toe) missed the Week 9 game with a toe injury, but should return to play in Week 10 versus the Tennessee Titans, according to head coach Lovie Smith. Jones was initially diagnosed to miss 1 to 3 weeks of action.

I think the Chicago coaching staff would be silly to not realize what Anthony Thomas has done so far, he has helped milk the clock when neccesary, break the big run on occassion and score a couple of TD's.I see Lovie Smith easing Thomas Jones in with the realization that the team has played well with Anthony Thomas in there.. This has an RBBC smell to it.
:fishing: It hasn't been a RBBC all year and Anthony Thomas has one good spot start and you want them to splitt.I guess Duce Staley's value is down the :toilet: as well after what the :11: did

RBBC? I disagree with that one. The Bears have clearly given the reighns to Thomas Jones. I only see carries being split up some if Thomas Jones is not healthy enough to carry the full load. Righetti, you must hold A-Train and are trying to convince somebody there is still value there.

I wish it was different since I own Train, but the Bears loyalty lies with Thomas Jones. A-Train is not going to be in a Bears uniform next year, Jones will. That means something, like it or not.Hate to say it, but once Jones is back he'll be the main ball carrier again.All us A-Train lovers have to wait until next year and hope he lands in a good situation.

It is wonderful medicine to see your replacement outproduce you in 2 straight victories.......All of a sudden that foot pain just disappears...... :excited:

I don't think Jones loses much. If I had him, darn the bad luck, I'd start him everytime without hesitation. That said, I'd like him to rest up a few weeks to make sure a league rival has to scrape whilst I ride the A-Train. Toot-Toot, ####### #######!

A-Train was unjustly thrown onto the scrapheap by Lovie Smith, he didn't complain, worked hard and when given the opportunity had 2 very solid games (i realize that he only had 1 start, but I'm sure you'll agree that he had enough carries to qualify).I am one that believes that good football players will find their way onto the playing field. Lovie Smith will realize sooner rather than later that A-Train has good value, still runs very hard and can grind out yards as well as show that he still has the opportunity to turn the corner or break the long run.if you were Lovie Smith why wouln't you use A-Train more than you have done earlier in the year? What more would he have to do.my point is that although TJ will probably start, Lovie Smith must have gained more confidence in A-Train's work over the past 2 weeks. He filled in more than admirably

Righetti, you must hold A-Train and are trying to convince somebody there is still value there.
:rotflmao: Righetti owns A-train in our dynasty league, and has been offering him in trades to me (T. Jones owner).Edited to add: Righetti has been a long-time A-train faithful, and does believe in his ability. I believe Righetti will hold onto him for next year, where he might very well be a starter for a team not named the Bears.

A-Train was unjustly thrown onto the scrapheap by Lovie Smith, he didn't complain, worked hard and when given the opportunity had 2 very solid games (i realize that he only had 1 start, but I'm sure you'll agree that he had enough carries to qualify).I am one that believes that good football players will find their way onto the playing field. Lovie Smith will realize sooner rather than later that A-Train has good value, still runs very hard and can grind out yards as well as show that he still has the opportunity to turn the corner or break the long run.if you were Lovie Smith why wouln't you use A-Train more than you have done earlier in the year? What more would he have to do.my point is that although TJ will probably start, Lovie Smith must have gained more confidence in A-Train's work over the past 2 weeks. He filled in more than admirably
Jones was brought in because they wanted a Chiefs style offense with a RB that can run the ball and catch. There's no reason to think that the Bears are going to want to change their offensive philosophy just because Jones got hurt and A-train filled in for a couple games. I like A-train, but he needs to go to a team that wants a power running game. The Bears have an idea of want they want to achieve and A-train doesn't fit the mold. Sure, he can help them win when they need it, but he's not the guy they want in there most of the time.

The A-Train is off the track. No doubt Jones is the future of the Bears running game. Why would they want to show case the A-Train for other teams :eek: When they will be getting nothing for him in free agency. The Bears will not make the play offs no matter who is in the back field, so IMO they will play Jones and prepare to improve in 05. You can file the A-train, with Q, and Bell.

I was a big time A-train doubter when all of the trade talks were going on. But he has certainly shown something the last two weeks. It will help him tremedously in free agency.

I would personally enjoy seeing the A-Train sporting a Carolina Panthers' uniform in 2005...."the A-train's goin to Carolina, goin to Carolina, goin to Carolina in my mind" :bag:

I would personally enjoy seeing the A-Train sporting a Carolina Panthers' uniform in 2005...."the A-train's goin to Carolina, goin to Carolina, goin to Carolina in my mind" :bag:
That's a perfect fit, he right in the Stephen Davis mold. Too bad the Redskins already have Portis - I'm sure Gibbs would love to have A-train

That's a perfect fit, he right in the Stephen Davis mold. Too bad the Redskins already have Portis - I'm sure Gibbs would love to have A-train
There's also the presence of Foster, who will likely take over if/when Davis leaves. But given the glut of RBs out there next year, and limited openings, A-Train's best offer may turn out to be a RBBC situation.

A-Train is too durable to be playing for Carolina... :excited:

heh uh... wrong :hophead:

It is wonderful medicine to see your replacement outproduce you in 2 straight victories.......All of a sudden that foot pain just disappears...... :excited:
by no stretch of the imagination has Atrain outperformed TJ... theres a whole thread on the subject with the same implying nature. Atrain has filled in like a respectible back up RB nothing more nothing less.

by no stretch of the imagination has Atrain outperformed TJ... theres a whole thread on the subject with the same implying nature. Atrain has filled in like a respectible back up RB nothing more nothing less.
I know you really want Jones back but please check the stats from the last 2 games and you tell me if it is a stretch to say that the A-Train has outproduced Jones and the team won both games......It is fairly obvious that since Jones was out of both games his production was nil.I was merely stating the obvious and being sarcastic suggesting that Jones' foot suddenly feels better after seeing Thomas' success while he was absent.

I was thinking that exact same thing.

I think I miss the C-Pepp avatar.That said, they have been COMPARABLE- neither has outplayed the other. A-Train has back to back 100+ total yardage days, and he scored a couple of TDs yesterday - that is an average of around 18-20 standard FF points the last two weeks. Thomas Jones, in a bigger sample size, has averaged 17-18 FF points per game once you deduct the game where he got injured in the first series - of you DON'T deduct that game, then you CAN'T average in A-Train's first week). 4 of of JOnes' first 7 games he had over 100 total yards. In short, in a larger sample, TJones has averaged just over 100 total yards per game and has averaged nearly 1 TD per game. Like I said, comparable.Train has not outplayed TJones to the point of reducing TJones' role, but he may have earned enough future playing time to get himself on the field more often. The problem is that A-Train needs 20 carries to be most effective, and he won't get those with TJones starting. Also, it means a RBBC is unlikely - ATrain will get used more, but that does not mean TJones' FF value or use in the Bears' gameplan will necessarily be reduced. The Bears may simply run the ball 35 times a game and throw to their backs 15 times a game.

Speaking from a Bears fans perspective Jones should not come back until he's 100 percent ready to accept the FULL LOAD.

Let's not forget that every team Jones ran against rank higher than either SF or NYG in run defense (with the exception of Philadelphia)ATrain is a good runner, but Chicago's defense had much more to do with the Bears' recent success than a new face at RB.

QUOTE (Otis @ Nov 8 2004, 10:47 AM) This is typical Shark Pool hysteria in full effect. Anthony Thomas has done a very nice job filling in while Jones has been injured - but nothing more. The A-train's numbers are decent, but he is not nearly the producer Jones is, and as usual noone is taking the time to consider what the numbers mean. - Thomas Jones has more catches per game (he was the team's leading receiver pre-injury)- Thomas Jones has a better YPC by a pretty substantial amount (A-train is at 3.7, Jones is at 4.4, and that is a substantial difference).- A-train's numbers have come by virtue of MORE CARRIES. A-train has had 25 and 28 carries the past two weeks, mainly because the situation so dictated, and because the Bears actually held onto the ball. Thomas Jones has never had 25 carries in a game this season. His numbers have come on less, sometimes much less (though he did rack up 152 yards rushing on 23 carries at Lambeau).- The A-train's two games have been against the 9th worst and 14th worst rushing defenses in the league. Jones has done his work against far tougher opponents on average.- As already pointed out, Jones had to play two games with Quinn in there. He was a nightmare. Though he is no superstar, Krenzel is far more comfortable and is at least a functional NFL QB.It's probably fairly clear from the responses here who owns Atrain and who owns Thomas Jones, but the bottom line is that the numbers and statistics don't care either way. I saw the A-train the past two weeks break runs through holes the size of Volkswagons. I truly believe that Jones would have topped the A-train's numbers in both of these games, and I'm miffed that his damn foot gave way when he could have had two juicy fantasy performances.Carry on with the frenzy... 
that was posted by Otis earlier and summed up the situation to a "T" i simply pasted it here to drop all hope that Atrain is the better back ;) Atrain faced 2 very very soft defenses imo. the holes were gapping wide. TJ would of took some of those runs to the house especialy with his better hands on screen plays. these guys would have merit if TJ played bad before his injury but he didn't... far from it imo. marc i had to jip it people were getting the wrong idea with it ;) :popcorn:

Hmm, originally diagnosed as missing 1 to 3 weeks. If he comes back after missing 1 week how is that returning "earlier than expected"??? :confused:

Well, has anyone seen this confirmed anywhere else besides KFFL?It's not in our FBG updates. I personally would like a few followup links before we put this one away. That toe thing can be pretty painful.Anyone find conformation?

QUOTE (Otis @ Nov 8 2004, 10:47 AM) This is typical Shark Pool hysteria in full effect.

Anthony Thomas has done a very nice job filling in while Jones has been injured - but nothing more. The A-train's numbers are decent, but he is not nearly the producer Jones is, and as usual noone is taking the time to consider what the numbers mean.
LOL at this :lol:

week 8- 98 rushing/ 46 rec.

week 9- 110 rushing/ 2 TDs

these #s are more than decent. Thomas is a beteer back than he gets credit for. I hope Jones is out 1 more game so I can use Thomas for LT's bye week.

QUOTE (Otis @ Nov 8 2004, 10:47 AM) This is typical Shark Pool hysteria in full effect.

Anthony Thomas has done a very nice job filling in while Jones has been injured - but nothing more. The A-train's numbers are decent, but he is not nearly the producer Jones is, and as usual noone is taking the time to consider what the numbers mean.
LOL at this :lol:

week 8- 98 rushing/ 46 rec.

week 9- 110 rushing/ 2 TDs

these #s are more than decent. Thomas is a beteer back than he gets credit for. I hope Jones is out 1 more game so I can use Thomas for LT's bye week.
105 total yards, 2 TDs

159 total yards, 1 TD

181 total yards, 1 TD

Those were Thomas Jones' numbers with efficient play at the QB position. Don't forget how good he was for those first 3 weeks. The guy was on his way to being a super-star this year... as it stands, it'll have to wait till next year.

72 total yards

119 total yards

65 total yards, 1 TD

With Quinn at QB, A-Train could not have done any better. Krenzel has been an obvious step up from Quinn.

No matter how well Anthony Thomas has done the past two weeks, there's little doubt in my mind that Thomas Jones would've done better, especially in the San Francisco game. There were several runs A-Train made in the game with big openings that he just didn't make it to - the kind Jones' speed could've turned into very big plays.

A-Train is a talented RB and vastly underrated by a lot of people. But he's not as good as Thomas Jones.

Here's what CBS Sportsline is reporting, just keep in mind it is CBS:

Thomas Jones, RB CHINews: The Chicago Sun-Times reports Thomas Jones will be the starting running back when he returns from a sprained left big toe. However, Anthony Thomas will be a bigger part of the offense than he had been when that happens.Analysis: This could become a committee situation, which would hurt the value of both Jones and Thomas down the road.
Anthony Thomas, RB CHINews: The Chicago Sun-Times reports Thomas Jones will be the starting running back when he returns from a sprained left big toe. However, Anthony Thomas will be a bigger part of the offense than he had been when that happens.Analysis: This could become a committee situation, which would hurt the value of both Jones and Thomas down the road.
Ren

Here's what CBS Sportsline is reporting, just keep in mind it is CBS:

Thomas Jones, RB CHINews: The Chicago Sun-Times reports Thomas Jones will be the starting running back when he returns from a sprained left big toe. However, Anthony Thomas will be a bigger part of the offense than he had been when that happens.Analysis: This could become a committee situation, which would hurt the value of both Jones and Thomas down the road.
Anthony Thomas, RB CHINews: The Chicago Sun-Times reports Thomas Jones will be the starting running back when he returns from a sprained left big toe. However, Anthony Thomas will be a bigger part of the offense than he had been when that happens.Analysis: This could become a committee situation, which would hurt the value of both Jones and Thomas down the road.
Ren
I read something similar with direct quotes from Lovie and Shea. Seems like TJ will be the starter, but A-Train will have his share as well.--------------------"Anthony certainly will be figured into our game plan as much as ever and probably even more so with his performance these last couple games," said offensive coordinator Terry Shea. "I've said it all along: Thank goodness we have two quality running backs." "Thomas Jones is still our starting tailback," Smith said. "It's great what Anthony has been doing. We feel like Anthony has starting tailback ability also. We have two guys and really I think it normally works itself out. Right now [Jones] isn't 100 percent ready to go and as long as that's the case, Anthony will continue to be our guy." http://www.sportsnetwork.com/default.asp?c.../ABN3590006.htm

Anthony certainly will be figured into our game plan as much as ever and probably even more so with his performance these last couple games," said offensive coordinator Terry Shea.
this is exactly what i was stating in this thread.. Never said that Thomas Jones would not be the starter but just that A-Train will be used more often.

WTF now they are going to spilt carries...jesus f-ing christ i got no luck at freakin all this year.
Coach-speak for "we want Jones to be our RB but we don't want to tick off A-train after playing two good games".

WTF now they are going to spilt carries...jesus f-ing christ i got no luck at freakin all this year.
Coach-speak for "we want Jones to be our RB but we don't want to tick off A-train after playing two good games".
:no: I'm a Jones owner, but also realistic. A-Train most definitely won't be around next year, but right now Lovie & Co. want to win games. And if that means using both guys depending on their respective talents, then that's what they'll do.

First things first..we need TJ to be healthy enough to play, and the sooner the better. I guess we won't have a clear picture until later in the week...hopefully he will be able to practice.

Just my opinion here, but I could see it being one of those deals where TJ plays the first quarter, then A-Train plays the first series of the second quarter. Jones then gets most of the carries, unless A-Train comes out firing and they decide to ride the hot hand.For the Bears, it is a very nice problem to have. For fantasy owners, TJ's vale takes a SLIGHT hit, and A-Train obviously needs TJ to be out to have full value.Ren

The "plan" was always to use both backs. It just doesn't work out that way in reality.When the bears start the game and probably through the first quarter or so, they will use Jones - he's the starter.When they are losing, they will use Jones, because he has more big-play ability and he's a much better receiver.That leaves us with mid-late game when the game is close and mid-late game when the Bears are winning by a lot.In the former instance, they MIGHT use Thomas a little bit to give Jones a breather. In the latter instance, they might use Thomas a fair amount. But how often do you think the latter instance will pop up? Not very often. And those instances aren't generally all that great for fantasy stats. A nice yardage bonus, but few catches and not very many TDs.As a Jones owner in every single league I am in, I am much more concerned about his health than his "sharing" with Thomas.

Just my opinion here, but I could see it being one of those deals where TJ plays the first quarter, then A-Train plays the first series of the second quarter. Jones then gets most of the carries, unless A-Train comes out firing and they decide to ride the hot hand.For the Bears, it is a very nice problem to have. For fantasy owners, TJ's vale takes a SLIGHT hit, and A-Train obviously needs TJ to be out to have full value.Ren
Anthony certainly will be figured into our game plan as much as ever and probably even more Let's start with this part of the statement.Anthony certainly will be figured into our game plan as much as ever1 or 2 carries a game is how he was used before. probably even more Means another 4-6 touches. (a series or 2 tops). I think the Bears are going to start to Run a bit more as the Rushing schudle softens up. So I do not see a downgrade to Tjones. He is buy low canidate. With no Qunn, a Heathly def and heathly line he going to explode.

Check it out.My 1st 7 draft picks.D.McCallister, ankleR.Moss, hammyT.Henry, arch - bustM.Bennett, knee - bustT.Jones, toeK.Jones, ankleC.Pennington, shoulder

Just my opinion here, but I could see it being one of those deals where TJ plays the first quarter, then A-Train plays the first series of the second quarter.  Jones then gets most of the carries, unless A-Train comes out firing and they decide to ride the hot hand.For the Bears, it is a very nice problem to have.  For fantasy owners, TJ's vale takes a SLIGHT hit, and A-Train obviously needs TJ to be out to have full value.Ren
Anthony certainly will be figured into our game plan as much as ever and probably even more Let's start with this part of the statement.Anthony certainly will be figured into our game plan as much as ever1 or 2 carries a game is how he was used before. probably even more Means another 4-6 touches. (a series or 2 tops). I think the Bears are going to start to Run a bit more as the Rushing schudle softens up. So I do not see a downgrade to Tjones. He is buy low canidate. With no Qunn, a Heathly def and heathly line he going to explode.
I agree with pretty much everything you said... that's why I typed SLIGHT downgrade, with "slight" in CAPS. I didn't mean a downgrade to a 50-50 split RBBC situation... but any loss of carries is a slight downgrade.TJ should still be fine when 100%, especially when the Bears fall behind, as he's a much better receiver.Ren

Users who are viewing this thread