What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Thoughts on the following DBs (1 Viewer)

JoeBoxers43

Footballguy
So I just lost Berry for the year in a redraft league, and the following DBs have gotten the most points in our league format:

1pt Tackle/Assist Tackle

3pt Sack

4pt INT/TD

1pt FF

Morgan Burnet - 14 - 7 solo, 7 assist

Reggie Nelson - 12 - 7 solo, 2 assist, 1 sack

Roman Harper - 10.5 - 7 solo, 2 assist, .5 sack

Kam Chancellor - 10 - 10 solo

Yeremiah Bell - 9 - 5 solo, 4 assist

Sean Jones - 9 - 8 solo, 1 ff

Basically what I'm asking is which of these guys will be the most consistent. Bell and Harper seem to be on top of everyones rankings but the 4 assist for Bell are a bit alarming and plus he was going up a very pass-heavy Patriots. Harper plays on a team that controls the clock normally which limits his opportunities. Chancellor is intriguing but Seattle NEVER give assists so I have to be banking on solos every week which is tough. Burnett I guess no one saw coming, was this stat-line such because he was going up vs a pass-heavy Saints or is he that good? And with Nelson I've noticed nowhere has him ranked high, but his stats look good, plays for a bad Bengals team giving him tackle-opps, and Cincy is friendly with assisted tackles.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

'JoeBoxers43 said:
So I just lost Berry for the year in a redraft league, and the following DBs have gotten the most points in our league format:1pt Tackle/Assist Tackle3pt Sack4pt INT/TD1pt FFMorgan Burnet - 14 - 7 solo, 7 assistReggie Nelson - 12 - 7 solo, 2 assist, 1 sackRoman Harper - 10.5 - 7 solo, 2 assist, .5 sackKam Chancellor - 10 - 10 soloYeremiah Bell - 9 - 5 solo, 4 assistSean Jones - 9 - 8 solo, 1 ffBasically what I'm asking is which of these guys will be the most consistent. Bell and Harper seem to be on top of everyones rankings but the 4 assist for Bell are a bit alarming and plus he was going up a very pass-heavy Patriots. Harper plays on a team that controls the clock normally which limits his opportunities. Chancellor is intriguing but Seattle NEVER give assists so I have to be banking on solos every week which is tough. Burnett I guess no one saw coming, was this stat-line such because he was going up vs a pass-heavy Saints or is he that good? And with Nelson I've noticed nowhere has him ranked high, but his stats look good, plays for a bad Bengals team giving him tackle-opps, and Cincy is friendly with assisted tackles. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
I'm all in on Burnett and Chancellor - and was rewarded in all of my IDP leagues this weekend as a result. I'm not sure I buy that they'll average 10+ points each throughout the season, but I think Chancellor is a legit top 10 DB candidate this season. The Seattle d-line is leaky, and the offense is miserable (so they won't be on the field very long), so I think Kam will pile up a huge number of tackles. Harper and Bell are old stand-bys, and probably both will be solid scorers. I'll be surprised to see Nelson repeat this weekend's total, but the argument is the same as for Kam, so I could be wrong. That's just a gut feeling.

Need to add McGraw to this list as he put up solid numbers replacing Berry (8 solos).

Chancellor was my last round draft pick (28th round) this year, and he paid off. Appears to be in for a big season and nobody in my league had heard of him.

I liked the snippet about Sean Jones in the upgrade/downgrade. Tampa replaced Barrett Ruud with a rookie, so he may be in line for more tackle opportunities. Gonna give him one more week to prove it, but if he tackles well again, I'm all over him.

Last edited by a moderator:
'LargeMouthBass said:
No Reed Doughty? I think this was brought up last year but Washington stats keeper loves to give out assisted tackles.
Doughty is a temporary fix until Landry comes back

Need to add McGraw to this list as he put up solid numbers replacing Berry (8 solos).Chancellor was my last round draft pick (28th round) this year, and he paid off. Appears to be in for a big season and nobody in my league had heard of him.I liked the snippet about Sean Jones in the upgrade/downgrade. Tampa replaced Barrett Ruud with a rookie, so he may be in line for more tackle opportunities. Gonna give him one more week to prove it, but if he tackles well again, I'm all over him.
I don't like McGraw simply because he isn't a talent. I think the numbers are skewed a bit because the Bills dominated the TOP, and he doesn't have any big play potential.

Not to hijack the thread, but can we add Craig Dahl to this discussion? 8 solos in week 1 and he finished last season very strong. He kind of has the Chancellor thing going on where he is sort of an extra linebacker on the field. I'm a bit puzzled by guys like Jene love Kam so much but I never see Dahl mentioned.

Not to hijack the thread, but can we add Craig Dahl to this discussion? 8 solos in week 1 and he finished last season very strong. He kind of has the Chancellor thing going on where he is sort of an extra linebacker on the field. I'm a bit puzzled by guys like Jene love Kam so much but I never see Dahl mentioned.
Is he a starter? When you look at the depth chart, Dahl's a backup then again, I could be wrong.

'LargeMouthBass said:
No Reed Doughty? I think this was brought up last year but Washington stats keeper loves to give out assisted tackles.
Landry is SS. Are you saying Oshiomogho will move to FS and take Doughty's place?
Thats what the depth charts suggest. They didn't sign Otogwe from the Rams for him to sit on the bench

'LargeMouthBass said:
Landry is SS. Are you saying Oshiomogho will move to FS and take Doughty's place?
Thats what the depth charts suggest. They didn't sign Otogwe from the Rams for him to sit on the bench
That's what Otogwe was for the Rams, a FS. He is versatile and can play both extremely well. But they did sign him to play next to Landry who is a monster at SS.

Y. Bell is a top-5 DB on nearly every projection list I have seen since LAST YEAR. How is he available??? I've owned him for a couple of seasons now, and he's always solid. That'd be my pickup, easily.

Y. Bell is a top-5 DB on nearly every projection list I have seen since LAST YEAR. How is he available??? I've owned him for a couple of seasons now, and he's always solid. That'd be my pickup, easily.
He's available because last year he had 9 games under 6 tackles which is garbage with no big play potential, 1.5 sacks with 1 int. 1 game over 7 tackles in the last 2 months of the season. Those are not top-5 DB numbers.

'JoeBoxers43 said:
'Nathan R. Jessep said:
He's available because last year he had 9 games under 6 tackles which is garbage with no big play potential, 1.5 sacks with 1 int. 1 game over 7 tackles in the last 2 months of the season. Those are not top-5 DB numbers.
We're talking waiver material...so he's not in YOUR top 5, point taken. I think he finished around 14 or 15 for DBs in my league last year, even with those down weeks. Being the shark you are, I'm sure you don't need him, but I'll take him in any format that counts tackles and assists. ;)

He's averaged 92 solo tackles a year the past 3 years - along with 5 FF/FR/INT/Sacks per season, a handful of pass defended, and roughly 20 assisted tackles. Only 2 DBs got over 87 solos last year, only 3 got over 85 the year before, and only 3 got over 83 the year before that. I'm not sure how you could justify NOT having Bell in your top 5, the guy is a solo tackle monster for DBs.

He's averaged 92 solo tackles a year the past 3 years - along with 5 FF/FR/INT/Sacks per season, a handful of pass defended, and roughly 20 assisted tackles. Only 2 DBs got over 87 solos last year, only 3 got over 85 the year before, and only 3 got over 83 the year before that. I'm not sure how you could justify NOT having Bell in your top 5, the guy is a solo tackle monster for DBs.
He doesnt have that much big play ability and Miami is verrrry stingy with assisted tackles since Zach Thomas left. I rather take a chance on an up-and-comer like Chancellor, and pair him with G Wilson who plays in Buffalo which is generous with assisted tackles, who got 103 tackles starting 10 games in 2009. I'd take Chung, Chancellor, Wilson, Landry/Berry (when not injured), and TJ Ward over him as of now.

He doesnt have that much big play ability and Miami is verrrry stingy with assisted tackles since Zach Thomas left. I rather take a chance on an up-and-comer like Chancellor, and pair him with G Wilson who plays in Buffalo which is generous with assisted tackles, who got 103 tackles starting 10 games in 2009. I'd take Chung, Chancellor, Wilson, Landry/Berry (when not injured), and TJ Ward over him as of now.
Keep the scoring system in mind for the league mentioned in the orignal post. 1 point for a tackle and 1 point for an assist. This isn't standard and makes the tackle heavy safeties absolute beasts. It downplays the big play guys. That means a guy like Bell who is probably on 95% of anybody's list as a top 5 DB is even better in this league. He might be the safest bet of any DB in that entire scoring format of all DBs. He's an automatic pick up no matter who else you have on your team. Kam Chancellor is basically the same deal IMO but doesn't have the name or history to prove he can do it. Those two easily are head and shoulders above the guys listed in the original post for this scoring format in my opinion. I love Burnett too and think he's definitely top 20 DB material but the 7 solo, 7 assist numbers are more about playing Drew Brees frantically trying to catch up than anything else. He'll be solid but he's no Bell or Chancellor. Harper is hard to go wrong with too but I still say Bell and Kam are better options. But I want to add this. If George Wilson is not rostered already, you best be putting him right there with Bell and Chancellor. 1 point per assist while playing SS in Buffalo easily includes him in that top 5 conversation as well. If Laron Landry can get healthy, he's in the conversation but assuming he won't be for at least a chunk of 2011 the top 5 in this format at DB to me are in no particular order: Bell, Wilson, Ward, Chung, Chancellor. 2 are on the wire! Pick 'em both up!

'Colts Rule! said:
Keep the scoring system in mind for the league mentioned in the orignal post. 1 point for a tackle and 1 point for an assist. This isn't standard and makes the tackle heavy safeties absolute beasts. It downplays the big play guys. That means a guy like Bell who is probably on 95% of anybody's list as a top 5 DB is even better in this league. He might be the safest bet of any DB in that entire scoring format of all DBs. He's an automatic pick up no matter who else you have on your team. Kam Chancellor is basically the same deal IMO but doesn't have the name or history to prove he can do it. Those two easily are head and shoulders above the guys listed in the original post for this scoring format in my opinion. I love Burnett too and think he's definitely top 20 DB material but the 7 solo, 7 assist numbers are more about playing Drew Brees frantically trying to catch up than anything else. He'll be solid but he's no Bell or Chancellor. Harper is hard to go wrong with too but I still say Bell and Kam are better options. But I want to add this. If George Wilson is not rostered already, you best be putting him right there with Bell and Chancellor. 1 point per assist while playing SS in Buffalo easily includes him in that top 5 conversation as well. If Laron Landry can get healthy, he's in the conversation but assuming he won't be for at least a chunk of 2011 the top 5 in this format at DB to me are in no particular order: Bell, Wilson, Ward, Chung, Chancellor. 2 are on the wire! Pick 'em both up!
As I said above, Bell has like 9 games with 6 tackles or less, that won't cut it in my league. I think Wilson might be the best option since Buff is very generous with tackle numbers, and he had around 100+ tackles when he started 10 games in 09.

'Colts Rule! said:
Why do you consider Kam Chancellor to be such a safe pickup? I'm not disagreeing, I just don't get how he's such a safe play. The Seattle safeties don't have much of a history putting up big fantasy numbers, but I guess they've just changed coaches recently so maybe there's reason to believe that can change.

'Colts Rule! said:
As I said above, Bell has like 9 games with 6 tackles or less, that won't cut it in my league. I think Wilson might be the best option since Buff is very generous with tackle numbers, and he had around 100+ tackles when he started 10 games in 09.
And in one of those he had a sack and a forced fumble, and in another he had his INT and a fumble recovery. You're always going to have a bit of inconsistency with your DBs - Berry had 10 such games of 6 or fewer tackles last year, T Branch had 9.

Users who are viewing this thread