What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Thursday Night Football: Chargers v Chiefs (-4)(54): Prime + Rib = Prime Rib Matchup*** (1 Viewer)

4th and 2 on the Chiefs 13, first drive of the game. They go for a FG. What do analytics say?
Can't speak for what analytics say, but man I hated that call. Think its a much wiser call to go for it and establish the tone early. Worst case scenario (other than a turnover I guess) if that KC is starting inside their own 15.

The Chiefs defense might be better than I thought.

The offense, and Reid calling the offense, needs work.

The Chiefs defense might be better than I thought.

The offense, and Reid calling the offense, needs work.
that's a scary defense u were up against, if the chargers were well rested imo reid's conservative calls today were warranted. and mahomes looked a little off at times tonight, the two things might be related. Chargers ran out of gas. a solid win against a great team, that w's gonna go a long way in the division.

I like this new TNF Amazon crew. Sherman, Whitworth, Fitz, HOF Gonzo and a combination of eye candy and competence in Thompson.

But her music is really good IMO.

Her music is more than fine. It's the whole package that they're trying to sell you. I'm no svelte bunny myself. I don't believe in the rudeness I just espoused. But it's like guy-on-guy sex. Public displays of it are gross to most sensibilities. Why push it?
Palmer owners rejoice :pickle:

Can't see myself ever starting him again (if Keenan out) with Everett there. K
When do people start talking about how Staley is actually a terrible coach?
Expand on this. Sure - be was overly aggressive last year. Called reckless and I agree with that. He was trying to win the locker room and establish an identify. This year so far he is more measured. Team plays hard for him. Some will say why didn’t he go for the FG late. Well, it’s easier to get the onside kick only needing a FG, and he has a stud QB. It’s not automatic. I think he’s far from a terrible coach

Not sure I'd go to terrible, but he isn't very good. The analytics nerds fell in love with him immediately because of how often he went for it on 4th down early last year, but he got reckless with it as the season went, which obviously cost them the Chiefs game last December. I have seen nothing out of him so far that tells me he is worth a damn as an NFL head coach, but the jury is still out.

I like this new TNF Amazon crew. Sherman, Whitworth, Fitz, HOF Gonzo and a combination of eye candy and competence in Thompson.
We briefly lagged a couple of times, but otherwise the Amazon broadcast was fantastic. Loved the crew, and I really liked the all-22 view with notation. If they just dial back the "busy-ness" of the on-screen graphics I would absolutely watch every game that way.

I thought Fitzpatrick was booooooring. Way too serious from a guy I figured would be anything but.

I think this game is a little bit lower scoring than people expect. Both defenses are better than they were a year ago, and both offenses are missing their top WR from a year ago.

I'll say Chiefs win 26-24, let's say for dramatic sake, a last second missed FG. Also, bold call, the 26 is because KC's new kicker misses an XP.
Giving props here.

Can't see myself ever starting him again (if Keenan out) with Everett there. Killing his upside.
Everett stopped on his route that cost Herbert an interception a TD and the team a loss. When he re-watch, it's freaking unacceptable. Everett was trying to get off the field as he was tired
but the O was in high tempo. Herbert will not forget this going forward. Nor will the team as he stood there and didn't bother to even try to chase down the interception, that's bad news and will be seen by all on film day.

Can't see myself ever starting him again (if Keenan out) with Everett there. Killing his upside.
Everett stopped on his route that cost Herbert an interception a TD and the team a loss. When he re-watch, it's freaking unacceptable. Everett was trying to get off the field as he was tired
but the O was in high tempo. Herbert will not forget this going forward. Nor will the team as he stood there and didn't bother to even try to chase down the interception, that's bad news and will be seen by all on film day.
Yeah, that was a really bad look. He picked up his mouthpiece instead of chasing the DB down. Granted, as it worked out, he wouldn't have caught him, but you never know and have to give chase in case you have a chance to make a tackle. He just packed it in.

Guy has always kind of come off as a big talker without the game to back it up.

Everett was clearly gassed, and he was asking to come out prior to that play. The Chargers wanted to push the pace, and I get that, but this was an epic fail by the Chargers' coaching staff to call a play to a receiver you know is compromised. It was also inexcusable to send an injured Herbert back out on that final drive, knowing it would take a score, a successful onside kick, and another score (low probability) to successfully overcome a two-score deficit. It is Week #2, and standing on the sidelines, you do not know the extent of Herbert's injury, and rib injuries can lead to more serious injuries. There is no way in the world I would risk my franchise QB in that situation. You have a capable reserve in Chase Daniels. Live to fight another day. This was an egregiously irresponsible coaching decision, in my opinion. I have heaps of respect for Herbert, but very little respect for Staley.

Last edited:
Everett was clearly gassed, and he was asking to come out prior to that play.
That is Everett's fault as much or more than the coaches. If you are gassed, get off the field. It doesn't matter if the team is playing up tempo, hell it doesn't matter if the team has to use a timeout, if you are clearly gassed, you are a liability being out there, and that is drilled into players heads from day one in high school. Especially true down around the goal line in a close game.

That is Everett's fault as much or more than the coaches. If you are gassed, get off the field. It doesn't matter if the team is playing up tempo, hell it doesn't matter if the team has to use a timeout, if you are clearly gassed, you are a liability being out there, and that is drilled into players heads from day one in high school. Especially true down around the goal line in a close game.
Everett attempted to exit, but the coaching staff did not allow it.

He tried asking to come out but the coaches wouldn’t let him come out, because if he came out, the rules would have allowed the defense to substitute as well.

He tried asking to come out but the coaches wouldn’t let him come out, because if he came out, the rules would have allowed the defense to substitute as well.
I get that, I'm saying you do it anyway, whether the coaches want it or not. You explain it when you get there. If the coach isn't an idiot, they'll understand. Instead, this mistake arguably cost them the entire game. Which is a shame, because otherwise Everett had one of the best games of his career.

ETA: The coach probably didn't know Everett was as gassed as he was, his effort post-INT being a huge tell, but Everett himself would.

I did see that, he still quit on the route.

Exactly. I might even have understood this strategy if they just deployed an exhausted Everett as nothing more than a decoy. It is inexcusable to call a play on the goal line to a player you know is compromised.

I did see that, he still quit on the route.

If you have ever been that gassed, you understand that it isn't always just a matter of playing through it. There comes a point when your body just cannot physically give you that extra push you seek. It is like asking your car to take you one more block to the filling station after the engine has died from lack of fuel.

It is inexcusable to call a play on the goal line to a player you know is compromised.

That play was not specifically for Everett. That was Herbert's read. Herbert could have gone to a different read, and apparently didn't realize Everett had asked out and was gassed. But the coaches didn't "call a play on the goal line to a player they knew was compromised."

It is inexcusable to call a play on the goal line to a player you know is compromised.

That play was not specifically for Everett. That was Herbert's read. Herbert could have gone to a different read, and apparently didn't realize Everett had asked out and was gassed. But the coaches didn't "call a play on the goal line to a player they knew was compromised."
Agreed. I don't blame for Herbert for the decision itself to throw to Everett. That is a massive blunder by the coaching staff.

Users who are viewing this thread