What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Tice is Done in MN! (1 Viewer)

Rev

Footballguy
The owner (Wilf) and his family just announced that Tice is out for next year. No link here, but it will be easy to find.

Bad news for the rest of the NFC North. Good news for Minnesota. Maybe they will hire Wayne Fontes?

If they replace Tice with someone who has at least half a brain it will be an upgrade. Tice was the hardest coach for me to coach around. My fantasy team is praising the Fantasy gods.

As a Packer fan I'm sorry to see him go :D but as an NFL fan I'm happy the Vikings are rid of that idiot. No team should have to suffer through a coach that bad and that wretched. Good luck to the Vikings on finding his successor.And I'm willing to bet right now that no matter who the next head coach is, the Vikings' RB situation will not be a gigantic clusterf... next season.

Whoever they get should be an upgrade... I would not be entirely surprised to see them make a run at Ron Rivera- Def Coordinator for the Bears.Lots of talk here on Sports Radio that Rivera will likely be mentioned in many circles for a coaching vacancy...

How many coaches lose two of the best players in the league (one to trade, one to injury) survive a disastrous off the field debacle that includes much of the team, and still goes 9-7?I realize he's the trendy guy to call an idiot but the herd mentality on this one is interesting to me.J

How many coaches lose two of the best players in the league (one to trade, one to injury) survive a disastrous off the field debacle that includes much of the team, and still goes 9-7?

I realize he's the trendy guy to call an idiot but the herd mentality on this one is interesting to me.

J
He was an idiot before this season Joe.

How many coaches lose two of the best players in the league (one to trade, one to injury) survive a disastrous off the field debacle that includes much of the team, and still goes 9-7?

I realize he's the trendy guy to call an idiot but the herd mentality on this one is interesting to me.

J
No doubt he's been the trendy guy for a long while to be called an idiot. With the Rocky Balboa voice he's an easy target.I just seriously wonder how many coaches could handle that adversity and finish 9-7 including reeling off 6 in a row?

J

J
No doubt he's been the trendy guy for a long while to be called an idiot. With the Rocky Balboa voice he's an easy target.I just seriously wonder how many coaches could handle that adversity and finish 9-7 including reeling off 6 in a row?

J
One could argue (rather convincingly I might add) that if the Vikings had a coach who wasn't such a complete idiot they wouldn't have had so many player issues and wouldn't have dug themselves such a deep hole and would be preparing a playoff game in a week or two. Just a thought. ;)

J
Come on Joe, we're just sick of losing games because of this guy! He would make a good offensive line coach or maybe a T.E. coach, but he doesn't have the mental capacity to be a head coach in the NFL. :yucky:

I raise my glass in a toast, "Here's to the start of better things to come for the Vikings" :banned:

And to Mike Tice, "All my best and good luck in your future (SOMEWHERE ELSE!) :thumbup:

J
A couple thoughts on that:1. Tice had a couple of disappointing seasons before this year, and we can assume that the owner factored that into his decision heavily. In the past, Tice has had all the talent he needed and has floundered.

2. Tice's teams have been streaky, for better or for worse... often with the wins coming on the cushy part of the schedule.

3. Tice hasn't won a big game (This year the 'big game' was against Pittsburg, while in the past it has come against teams like the Giants and Cardinals). On the contrary, he's consistantly been embarrassed in the big game.

4. Discipline has been a problem with Tice's players, so that the Moss crap and the love-boat episode could be portrayed as an extension as his 'lack of control.'

5. This one may be weak: Tice doesn't have a good relationship with the media or fans around town. He is grumpy and short like Bill Parcells, but without the sense of humor or the coaching success to stand upon. I've personally met him twice and was surprised by how cold and disinterested he was in even shaking a fan's hand or just saying 'hi.'

That said, it is a surprise that he got canned. There were some positive signs this year (turning around a losing streak, winning while big-name talent is traded or injured, winning the respect of the team, having what looked like a good relationship with the owner)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hehe I heard it on ESPN. Man, that was freakin' quick! Beat the hated Bears, finish 9-7, and still fire his butt.....................right after the last game! :lmao: Though I'm a Lions fan, I felt for the Vikings a little. Tice was an idiot and didn't belong in the HC position. Sorry. Bad thing for me, is that now I have to pray he doesn't wind up in Detroit! :cry:

J

J
I hesitantly agree with you that it should not be considered a slam dunk that it was the right move to let Tice walk. I do disagree that his 9-7 record should matter. How the Vikes looked losing to quality football teams was far more compelling than how they snuck by bad teams. Tice's job was on the line weeks 15-16 when they fizzled vs. Pitt/Baltimore. The win vs. Chicago today should have a big "*" next to it since the Bears were resting everyone who mattered. Also, even without Daunte/Randy this team was supposed to have talent, particularly on D, and they were quite obviously being outcoached when it mattered. I think the biggest reason to consider keeping Tice is he never got the support as far as coordinators. No one should be surprised this offense was historically bad when the old regime placed Steve Loney at OC and perhaps Tice's weaknesses might not have been as glaring if he had the benefit of an above average OC. But in the end, Tice was doomed to fail. He was handed a job he never deserved simply because he'd do it for peanuts. IMHO It's definitely time for this organization to turn the page and get a good GM who can handpick (and be accountable for) his own head coach without wasting another season or two to prove beyond a doubt Tice is over his head as a HC. There's enough evidence that's probably the case.

If Tice decides to remain in the NFL, he's gonna make one helluva O-Line/TE Coach.I wonder if he's gonna scalp Super Bowl tix for extra income soon.

J

J
Simple...that 6 game win streak was against atrociously bad apponents. The one quality win in that streak was against the Giant, who for some unknown reason, decided not to use special teams that game.Seroiusly Joe, take it from someone who's see it all from up close...Tice is a nice guy who's completely ovematched when it comes to coaching. He makes poor decisions regarding playing time, he doesn't communicate with his players as to the reasons that he does things, he absolutely cannot manage a clock, and he makes poor decisions regarding challenges.

He's just not a quality NFL coach...

And I can see Sean Peyton as a frontrunner to coach the Vikes...

They would not have finished 9-7 if their injured other best player (Culpepper) hadn't gotten injured. He was having a terrible season and Brad Johnson's play at QB was key to their midseason turnaround. Just wanted to point that out. :)

From what I'm hearing Les Steckel already has an interview lined up.
From what I'm hearing the Vikes are going to make a strong push to get Tom Heckert from the Eagles as GM, and may interview OC Brad Childress for the head coach opening. This is according to KFAN.

J
Pretty obvious you aren't a Viking fan Joe. The man is a flat out horrible coach.

How many coaches lose two of the best players in the league (one to trade, one to injury) survive a disastrous off the field debacle that includes much of the team, and still goes 9-7?I realize he's the trendy guy to call an idiot but the herd mentality on this one is interesting to me.J
No doubt he's been the trendy guy for a long while to be called an idiot. With the Rocky Balboa voice he's an easy target.I just seriously wonder how many coaches could handle that adversity and finish 9-7 including reeling off 6 in a row?J
Joe,Being a long-suffering Vikings fan since the days of Tommy Kramer, Ahmad Rashad and Sammy White, I think I can speak with just a little "authority" :shrug: when I say that Mike Tice IS NOT an idiot! HOWEVER, that's the short-hand most people use for saying:1. Tice is too much "heart" and not enough "head" when it comes to being a head coach. Every game, Tice makes decisions "in the heat of the moment" rather than with the best overall outcome for the team in mind. On a regular basis, he wastes challenges (timeouts), calls/doesn't call plays, is TERRIBLE at clock management, etc., and that costs the team in the end.2. Tice is like a divorced parent who wants to be their kid's "buddy" instead of their "father". His players love him accordingly but, like teenagers, they get themselves into a LOT of **** both on and off-the-field because of it. Basically, the team needs more of a "father-figure" and less "one of the boys" identity at the head coaching position.3. Love him or hate him, Tice has a L-O-N-G and colorful record of saying and doing some dumb-*** stuff. As others have said, I think he would make a wonderful O-Line or Tight Ends Coach for just about any NFL team in the league. Placing him at the "head" of the organization on the field....and all of the attention and media coverage that comes with it though, and all of his flaws become SERIOUSLY exposed. Most folks aren't saying he's not a nice guy, and I'm sure that many, MANY players will miss having him around! That said, the Vikings have been chronic under-achievers pretty-much since the Kneel Down Denny debacle against the Falcons and, like with Moss and Red McCombs, a change in identity/personnel will likely be a very positive thing for the long term health and competitiveness of the franchise.A Viking fan's :2cents:

J
Pretty obvious you aren't a Viking fan Joe. The man is a flat out horrible coach.
Hi Rusty,I like the Vikings. I was just asking the question there about how many coaches would have gone 9-7 with that adversity. Also forgot to mention losing their OC when the owner wouldn't pony up the money to keep him.

J

J

J
Joe,Being a long-suffering Vikings fan since the days of Tommy Kramer, Ahmad Rashad and Sammy White, I think I can speak with just a little "authority" :shrug: when I say that Mike Tice IS NOT an idiot! HOWEVER, that's the short-hand most people use for saying:

1. Tice is too much "heart" and not enough "head" when it comes to being a head coach. Every game, Tice makes decisions "in the heat of the moment" rather than with the best overall outcome for the team in mind. On a regular basis, he wastes challenges (timeouts), calls/doesn't call plays, is TERRIBLE at clock management, etc., and that costs the team in the end.

2. Tice is like a divorced parent who wants to be their kid's "buddy" instead of their "father". His players love him accordingly but, like teenagers, they get themselves into a LOT of **** both on and off-the-field because of it. Basically, the team needs more of a "father-figure" and less "one of the boys" identity at the head coaching position.

3. Love him or hate him, Tice has a L-O-N-G and colorful record of saying and doing some dumb-*** stuff. As others have said, I think he would make a wonderful O-Line or Tight Ends Coach for just about any NFL team in the league. Placing him at the "head" of the organization on the field....and all of the attention and media coverage that comes with it though, and all of his flaws become SERIOUSLY exposed.

Most folks aren't saying he's not a nice guy, and I'm sure that many, MANY players will miss having him around! That said, the Vikings have been chronic under-achievers pretty-much since the Kneel Down Denny debacle against the Falcons and, like with Moss and Red McCombs, a change in identity/personnel will likely be a very positive thing for the long term health and competitiveness of the franchise.

A Viking fan's :2cents:
Thanks for the insights Dattonn.J

I was just asking the question there about how many coaches would have gone 9-7 with that adversity.
IIRC Tice got his job because the previous coach "lost the team" during a much harder circumstance.I remember something with he and Randy on a bus and Tice "setting the tone". Well this season started with the Whizzonator and he hasn't lived up to that initial billing at all.

I just seriously wonder how many coaches could handle that adversity and finish 9-7 including reeling off 6 in a row?

J
Yeah, but you don't dismiss rape charges just because the accused put the woman's clothes back on her after he's done. Tice helped foster the environment which led to the Vikings' embarassment and underachieving the last few years. Just because he cleaned up his act the last half of the season doesn't warrant a contract extension. As a Vikings fan, I feel this is a long time coming.Gregg Williams, anyone?

I agree that Tice should get some credit for turning around the franchise, but this was a move that undoubtedly needed to be made after the PR disaster.What I think is a bit classless though is doing it right after the game and not at least waiting until Monday.

I agree that Tice should get some credit for turning around the franchise, but this was a move that undoubtedly needed to be made after the PR disaster.

What I think is a bit classless though is doing it right after the game and not at least waiting until Monday.
Tice apparently asked for it to be ASAP and didn't want to wait til Monday.

I just seriously wonder how many coaches could handle that adversity and finish 9-7 including reeling off 6 in a row?

J
Yeah, but you don't dismiss rape charges just because the accused put the woman's clothes back on her after he's done. Tice helped foster the environment which led to the Vikings' embarassment and underachieving the last few years. Just because he cleaned up his act the last half of the season doesn't warrant a contract extension. As a Vikings fan, I feel this is a long time coming.Gregg Williams, anyone?
Gregg Williams was horrid in buffalo, so NO!Also a Big NO to FASSEL which is who I fear the vikes end up with.

Tice had many short comings as coach and the team was way too streaky.

Tice is not an idiot or horrible coach. Tice is a below average coach. He can at times inspire his players but often that's just enough to make up for the fact his team is underprepared to play. IMHO he does not really have the mentality or composure to be anything more than a positional coach on a good team. A couple more points: (1) According to Vike's postgame show, the curiously immediate move indicates the Vikes want everything in place to start an immediate wooing of potential GMs. That does make sense and I honestly think this move helps their sales pitch to their next GM. He can hand pick his coach and not need to give lip service to a proven mediocre coach for even one gratuitous season, or worse yet make him immediately play bad guy by firing Tice. (2) On position coaches I'm assuming Steve Loney is done. PFT had reported a couple weeks back that Linehan/Saban were not getting along and I could see Linehan back in Minny if that's true. Culpepper flourished in Linehan's system, so I'd love to see it. I'm guessing the defense turned the corner enough to keep Cottrell if he wants to stay on.

Hi Joe,As you just mentioned the former ownership of Red McCombs was very bad for the progress of the Vikings team overall. Mike Tice would not have even been thier HC if not for McCombs being so cheap with a team that made him so much money.Tice has repeatedly proven to not be a quality HC. He was a interum HC after Da Knee Green was fired and as a coaching staff they have just been coasting along running Greens former program but not as well since he left the Vikings. And that system while great for the offense is NOT a sound way to manage a football team. What we have seen since is a steady decline in the teams offense each year as pieces were lost from it and never properly replaced. Because Mike Tice does not know how to manage a team as a head coach.Tice was clearly clueless when he 1st took over and fans were then asking if he would learn from the experience or not. I think he learned some things but never really got a handle on how to properly run the team or a program.1. Randy Ratio.2. Decline in running the ball/Rb rotation mismanagement. The Vikings used to be a top 5 rushing team and a top 5 offense.3. Despite focus on improving the defense lack of coaching/scheme has kept it from improving. Even as personel have improved.4. Team record has been an underachievment. 6-10 9-7 8-8 9-7. Mediocrity at best. The teams personel are talented enough to win games against inferior teams but the Vikings would consistently lose to any team that was actualy playoff quality. Even lose to inferior teams because Tice would be outcoached.5. The excuses of losing Randy Moss/Scott Linehan wont hold water because Tice did not discipline Moss and treated him differently than the other players. Moss may not have walked off the field if he had a coach who would not put up with crap like that. And honestly Moss did not think the Vikings could be contenders because of inferior coaching and management. Look at how Andy Ried handled the T.O. situation. Clearly and fairly. And Moss was not as much of a problem as TO. The rift between Moss and Culpepper could have been kept from ever happening by any decent coach imo.6. The offensive line has declined since Tice became HC. He doesen't know how to delegate responsibility. This should have been one of his strengths. But they mismanaged the situation of Birk possibly not being able to play and were trying to fix thier depth early/mid season instead of during training camp/pre-season when any normal team would. McKinney has not developed as well as he should have.I could keep going on.Bottom line is the Vikings team would not have had much of the adversity this season if the team had been properly managed before the season started.

They would not have finished 9-7 if their injured other best player (Culpepper) hadn't gotten injured. He was having a terrible season and Brad Johnson's play at QB was key to their midseason turnaround. Just wanted to point that out. :)
Who did the Vikings beat after Culpepper got hurt? 5 games against bad teams, 1 game against a Bears team that was playing their backups most of the game and 1 game against the Giants where the defense and special teams scored most of the points. The Vikings would have won those seven games no matter who the QB was.

1. Randy Ratio.
This was absolutely moronic right from the start and it was one of the first signs that Tice had absolutely no clue how to be an NFL head coach.
2. Decline in running the ball/Rb rotation mismanagement. The Vikings used to be a top 5 rushing team and a top 5 offense.
All this despite having quality talent at the RB position. I don't think it's a coincidence that Michael Bennett's career began to decline once Mike Tice became the head coach.

Tice is not an idiot or horrible coach. Tice is a below average coach. He can at times inspire his players but often that's just enough to make up for the fact his team is underprepared to play. IMHO he does not really have the mentality or composure to be anything more than a positional coach on a good team. A couple more points: (1) According to Vike's postgame show, the curiously immediate move indicates the Vikes want everything in place to start an immediate wooing of potential GMs. That does make sense and I honestly think this move helps their sales pitch to their next GM. He can hand pick his coach and not need to give lip service to a proven mediocre coach for even one gratuitous season, or worse yet make him immediately play bad guy by firing Tice. (2) On position coaches I'm assuming Steve Loney is done. PFT had reported a couple weeks back that Linehan/Saban were not getting along and I could see Linehan back in Minny if that's true. Culpepper flourished in Linehan's system, so I'd love to see it. I'm guessing the defense turned the corner enough to keep Cottrell if he wants to stay on.
:goodposting: Correct. Also, Paul Allen at KFAN in Minneapolis (Vikings radio announcer) is reporting that the Vikings are planning to ask the Eagles for permission to interview Tom Heckert for the General Manager job....and that Heckert, if hired, COULD bring in Brad Childress as the new head coach. :popcorn:

Who did the Vikings beat after Culpepper got hurt? 5 games against bad teams, 1 game against a Bears team that was playing their backups most of the game and 1 game against the Giants where the defense and special teams scored most of the points. The Vikings would have won those seven games no matter who the QB was.
I disagree. Culpepper had reverted back into a turnover machine this year and that could have spelled disaster in some of those close games. On the other hand, Johnson is more conservative and doesn't make crucial mistakes as often as Culpepper does.

Also, for anyone interested, Mike Tice will be on the ABC affiliate in Minneapolis from 10:30-11:00pm (Central Time) tonight, and I would think that his firing will obviously be the lion's share of the conversation..... ;)

2. Decline in running the ball/Rb rotation mismanagement. The Vikings used to be a top 5 rushing team and a top 5 offense.
All this despite having quality talent at the RB position. I don't think it's a coincidence that Michael Bennett's career began to decline once Mike Tice became the head coach.
Bennett was the only RB that in anyway benefitted from Tices handling of the running backs. This coaching staff should have committed to Moore from the start of the season.

I disagree. Culpepper had reverted back into a turnover machine this year and that could have spelled disaster in some of those close games. On the other hand, Johnson is more conservative and doesn't make crucial mistakes as often as Culpepper does.
2004: OC Scott Linehan, Randy Moss.2005: OC Steve Loney (with "turn-around" happening after "consultants" were hired) and no Randy Moss. Brad Johnson was SOLID, but consultants and the soft part of the schedule were the reasons for the turn-around.....NOT Brad Johnson.Nuff said. Next question.

Users who are viewing this thread