What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Tice on radio 10/01/03 (1 Viewer)

reg

Mod in training
1. Kleinsasser is ok. They were concerned he had a lacerated liver. But he is fine and will play.2. He was very happy with Onterrio's TD and looks for the kid to have his first 100 yard game this week. (In Tice speak that means he will probly have 3 carries.)

He was very happy with Onterrio's TD and looks for the kid to have his first 100 yard game this week.
He friggin said this? He looks for Onterrio to have his 1st 100 yard game? THOSE WERE HIS WORDS? :shock:

He friggin said this? He looks for Onterrio to have his 1st 100 yard game? THOSE WERE HIS WORDS? :shock:
exact words. He said look for Onterrio to have a great game. The dj about spit when Tice mentioned he should get 100 yards.

Unless Tice is in the business of predicting 60 yard touchdown runs, sounds to me like he's ready to give Onterrio Smith an 18+ carry game and let him churn out a 100 yard game at 4-5 yards a pop, with the possibility of a big play in the mix. :thumbup:

Last edited by a moderator:
In fact, Tice emphasized it 3 or 4 separate times that Onterrio will get over 100 yards this week. Tice said he sees something in Onterrio, and want to give him a real chance to break out this week before the BYE. This is the same time that Clinton Portis got going and has yet to look back.This is the week to get Onterrio, folks! The prediction came from Mike Tice himself on his weekly radio show on KFAN.

well i guess im starting osmith this week, with james still questionable and against TB, and gordon on a bye, smith is my last resort, i sure hope the 100 yard prediction comes true :thumbup:

It's the weekly radio show that Tice does from 6-7 pm Central on KFAN-AM. Go to kfan.com and you can listen to the program yourself at that time. Please believe it. At the end of the show, he was asked if he 'hoped' Onterrio would get 100 yards, and Tice said he absolutely WILL get over 100 yards. No hesitation, no pontification....he said straight out Onterrio WILL get over 100 yards on Sunday!

I believe Reg, he's good for it. But I don't know that Tice is.I wonder how the Atlanta D will feel about this - then again I wonder if it matters how the Atlanta D feels. Maybe this is actually the week Chapman gets his big shot?Allright Tice, fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice.....

Good luck to you O owners and I hope for my sake that it doesn't play out this way.
Kind of off topic, but I couldn't resist: this is the right approach; much better than the negative, "I hope the guy sucks", or "forget it, this guy sucks and you are wasting a roster spot on him" deal.At the end of the day, I make my own mind up and go with it, so it doesn't really matter to me what others say, but I just don't have much patience for the negative crap!

LOL @ you Tice naysayers
Yeah, that whole thing two weeks ago with the no carries after Tice saying he was going to get Onterrio involved was a real laugh riot. It really upped credibility for Tice's word. Glad we can provide entertainment though. :rolleyes:

I believe Tice in this case.In terms of defensive gameplanning, there really isn't much to gain for Atlanta in knowing this information. Both Onterrio and Moe will be used in the same manner, and it's not like we're talking 'thunder and lightening' in terms of different frame sizes between the two.If anything, the only 'hidden throughline' in Tice's comments is that he probably figures the Vikes will steamroll the Falcons and thus expects to be in a situation to let Onterrio loose without having to worry about protecting a narrow lead or protecting his big QB. If Onterrio misses a blocking assignment, who cares? Frerotte gets killed, big deal. They have the bye week, and Culpepper comes back.With Atlanta's depleted secondary, I would expect the Vikings to torch them deep early and often. By mid-second quarter Tice will begin feeding Onterrio for the rest of the day, and Randy Moss can then float around like a walking zombie for the rest of the game.

As an Onterrio owner I want to believe this, but I would love to hear the radio link for myself. Needless to say, great tip Reg and it definitely has me hitting a bunch of other boards to see if I can verify another source.

I have enough depth that I can leave Smith on my bench until I actually SEE some serious performance, not predictions or glimpses of it.I burned the #1 overall pick in my dynasty draft on Smith, so I'd be thrilled if he started producing.

saint, if you find anything, please let this board know.Someone made me a trade offer involving Smith. Would be nice to have considering James is probably out again.

I believe Tice in this case.In terms of defensive gameplanning, there really isn't much to gain for Atlanta in knowing this information. Both Onterrio and Moe will be used in the same manner, and it's not like we're talking 'thunder and lightening' in terms of different frame sizes between the two.If anything, the only 'hidden throughline' in Tice's comments is that he probably figures the Vikes will steamroll the Falcons and thus expects to be in a situation to let Onterrio loose without having to worry about protecting a narrow lead or protecting his big QB. If Onterrio misses a blocking assignment, who cares? Frerotte gets killed, big deal. They have the bye week, and Culpepper comes back.With Atlanta's depleted secondary, I would expect the Vikings to torch them deep early and often. By mid-second quarter Tice will begin feeding Onterrio for the rest of the day, and Randy Moss can then float around like a walking zombie for the rest of the game.
I wasn't thinking in terms of game planning, just getting the Atlanta D more riled up. You don't hear coaches publically planning on getting their rookie rb - who isn't even starting - 100 yards running very often. That's bulletin board material - and it might keep the Atlanta D a bit more intrested than they'd otherwise be if it goes to garbage time. Of course they could end up like the Browns against Lewis and rolling over.The walking zombie thing was funny by the way.Edited to add:I find it interesting that after being so protective/conservative with Smith so far this year, Tice turns around and singles him out now for this game. He basically has painted a big target on the kid's back, and added the pressure of high expectations. Either he's screwing with Atlanta's collective heads and will actually emphasize the pass all day, or he's setting up a nice little test for Mr. Smith. I'm hoping it's the latter and Tice is as anxious as the rest of us to find out what Onterrio can bring to the table.

eggs-celent.Atlantas D is giving up 149 rush yds/game. The only teams worse vs the run are SD (150yds/gm), Oak (154yds/gm), NYJ (174yds/gm), and Chicago (183yds/gm).I think SOD can get it done, especially since the Falcons have suspended cornerback Tyrone Williams for "conduct detrimental to the team". Minnys passing game will explode, opening up the run game for Onterrio to have a huge day.Perfect timing. I was going to start Onterrio this week anyway over Betts (K Faulk is gimpy) based on the great matchup, and this makes me feel better about the decision.Go Go Gadget SOD!

Reg, what's the latest on Moss, did he practice today? Any news on the MRI, or was it called off?

Pure speculation, but maybe Tice wants Atlanta focused on stopping a potentially dangerous Smith to alleviate pressure on Frerotte. Not that Frerotte seemed to be under much pressure last week, but you never know.Personally, as a Smith owner in my main league (With Portis injured, Gordon on bye, and W. Green on hiatus) and in the $15,000 contest, I hope his prediction comes through and then some.

I'll believe it when I see it, and I wish Tice wouldn't have put that kind of pressure on the kid.But, as an Onterrio owner in a dynasty and redraft league, it's the best news I've heard all week. I completely believe in his talent, and I'm one of the ones who believe he has more potential as a starting RB than Michael Bennett has. If he DOES bust out some this week, I'm going to love reading what the anti-Onterrio camp comes up with as an excuse.

A (synposized) post of mine time-stamped at 2:45 this afternoon in the OSmith owners beware thread (Reg posted the Tice comments at 6:45 p.m.):

"Last chance, IMO, for OSmith to prove his worth to your FF team. After this week, Oct. 19 is the team's next game and Bennett will be eligible to return two weeks later on Nov. 2. If it is any time, it is now. . . Due to byes and a couple of injuries, I am super shortchanged at RB this week . . . My flex options are Erik Parker, OSmith, or Quincy Morgan. I'm going to start Ontarrio Smith . . . I think this week Tice gets an extensive look at O behind the massive line before they head into the bye week to decide if he really expands O's role, or if he uses the bye week to figure out how to best use Moe and Chapman while Bennett recovers . . .This week, not the Detroit week, is OSmith's audition. Week 5 is the exact week I predicted OSmith to bust out. The Vikes have a 4-0 record, the o-line is blowing open Mack truck size holes, and both CPepp and Moss are ailing a bit. The Vikes might be willing to take a few chances with the ground game. I look for 40+ carries by the RBs this week and I hope for plenty of opportunity for both Moe and O to have good numbers."

Reading the comment posted by Reg, I am now 100% convinced that I am making the correct choice this weekend, and that my analysis of it is correct. IF O plays well and wins the starter role and IF Bennett returns healthy in, say, mid-Nov., count on a RBBC of the Hearst/Barlow type to close out the year. All I want is an explosive O to help me weather the storm I'm currently in with Faulk/Gordon and WGreen as my best runners right now. If he, from the flex spot and alongside Gordon and WGreen, puts up RB2 numbers until Faulk returns, he'll have been well worth the 6th round pick I spent on him.

With W. Green doing nothing, I'm convinced here that this is my best option...although I love the Sunday night insurance.

I love it. This message is going to produce a LOT of very unhappy Smith owners at the end of next week when they start him based on this comment.I believe Tice genuinely believes/hopes/wants Smith to run for a 100 yards. But this is also the guy that predicted Byron Chamberlain would catch a 1000 yards worth of passes to go along with 2000 from Moss (thanks to the "Randy ratio") in 2002.He has a habit of "predicting" things that are patently absurd, especially when taken in conjunction with each other.If reporters would have asked him how many yards Moe would get, he would have said 100 as well. Heck he might have predicted Chapman for a 100 while he was at it.I don't think Tice is a liar. I just think he's an idiot when it comes to talking to the press about his expectations.

I believe Reg, he's good for it. But I don't know that Tice is.I wonder how the Atlanta D will feel about this - then again I wonder if it matters how the Atlanta D feels. Maybe this is actually the week Chapman gets his big shot?Allright Tice, fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice.....
lol, I'd believe reg over Tice too.I'm starting O. Don't have much of a choice, but hearing this makes me feel better.

If Tice gives Onterrio Smith a large workload he will get 100 yards or close to it. All of the Onterrio bashers are probably the same one's who didn't believe in Clinton Portis last year at this time. Maybe they have Moe Williams on their fantasy team or still praying for a miracle that Michael Bennett can play again this year?

If Tice gives Onterrio Smith a large workload he will get 100 yards or close to it. All of the Onterrio bashers are probably the same one's who didn't believe in Clinton Portis last year at this time. Maybe they have Moe Williams on their fantasy team or still praying for a miracle that Michael Bennett can play again this year?
If that was directed toward me:*Don't have Moe in any league because I anticipated Minnesota would be more of a RBBC all year.*Own Smith in one league because I got him cheap and I thought there was a 15% chance he would be a viable starter in the middle of the season.*Never "bashed" Smith at all. Think he can run. Don't think he has a great chance to have a lot of fantasy value this year.*Don't know why it would be considered a "miracle" if Bennett plays this year since that was the goal and expectation of everyone involved since he had the surgery.*If I see one more Portis comparison, I'm going to puke. :yucky:

Yeah, that whole thing two weeks ago with the no carries after Tice saying he was going to get Onterrio involved was a real laugh riot. It really upped credibility for Tice's word. Glad we can provide entertainment though. :rolleyes:
LOL don't worry you have.Those #####ing about Tice prolly did not watch the Detroit game or you would know why OS did not get many carries.GDB making judgements on box scores!

I don't care how well Smith does.. Barring injury the best he will do is a 50/50 split like Hearts/Barlow. Remember they are talking about finally getting a chance to SHARE the load.
Onterrio Smith's role will continue to grow and that he will share time with starter Moe Williams on Sunday, coach Mike Tice said.
If you pipe dreamers really think Moe will fade out then you are blind. Moe will always be a factor cause he knows the offense better. He blocks better and yes he's been running better. The only reason Smith is being invoved more is to save Moe from wearing down.. I really wish people would stop blowing things out or proportion.. Smith has talent and if there was no viable option I think he could be starting and also be a decent fantasy starter.. This is not a Portis situation.. If you want a Portis situation grab Pinner and store him. There are 2 cluster ####s running the ball in Detroit. They will not be able hold off Pinner. Why?? Well the Lions will be out of the playoff hunt and the RB's they have are not that good.. Bryson has been servicable but I think they will give it to Pinner for the second half..

Reg, what's the latest on Moss, did he practice today? Any news on the MRI, or was it called off?
Wide receiver Randy Moss (back) and linebacker Greg Biekert (ribs) are also listed as probable. Moss was held out of practice Wednesday.
Haven't seen anything about him getting an MRI.

This is the same time that Clinton Portis got going and has yet to look back.
:wall: :wall: :wall: Get your facts right. Portis was "THE MAN" starting in Week 3 where he went for 100 and a touchdown. If you want to pimp Onterrio, that's fine, and I'm ready to take my medicine if I'm wrong (I've said that Bennett will quickly get his job back when he returns), but it drives me INSANE when people make analogies that aren't factually accurate because it suits the conclusion they're looking for.HERD

Look - if nothing else, if Smith gets 60 yards rushing and even 1 TD, we all should be happy with it. Smith isn't anyone's RB1 or RB2 (and if he is, you've got no real reason to be able to complain), so how much can/should we realistically be expecting from a lesser RB?Tice's proclamation aside, I'd be happy with 60 yards rushing and a TD from my RB3 if I had to use him.

I'm all for believing in Onterrio, but his situation isn't like Portis' anymore.I'm on record many times saying that:1. Onterrio is immensely talented, and probably has more potential as a starter than Michael Bennett2. It will take him more than 4 or 5 games to get situated because Moe has Tice's confidence. He wasn't comfortable starting a rookie... 'nuff said.3. Michael Bennett's injury won't allow him to be at full strength this year. It's a foot injury that will still require further surgery, and his presence will hurt the Minnesota running game if they bring him back. It would also kill the values of Moe and Onterrio down the stretch if they give Bennett carries. Next year is a long way off.If I'm wrong, I'm wrong, but no more Portis comparisons. Those are ridiculous.As an Onterrio supporter, all I take from this is the good news that Onterrio seems to be impressing his coaches and gaining their confidence. As that grows, he'll see more playing time and be given the chance to prove that he's a special running back.

I don't care how well Smith does.. Barring injury the best he will do is a 50/50 split like Hearts/Barlow. Remember they are talking about finally getting a chance to SHARE the load.
No, I tihnk that was last week :D

This is the same time that Clinton Portis got going and has yet to look back.
:wall: :wall: :wall: Get your facts right. Portis was "THE MAN" starting in Week 3 where he went for 100 and a touchdown.
Get your facts straight. Portis wasn't the man until week 5. In fact the only reason he came into week 3's game is because Gary was injured. He promptly returned to the bench in week 4, got like 5 carries in the game, and wasn't the man until week 5.In fact I find it quite similar that Tice thinks week 5 is O's big week, after spotting in for Moe quite a bit week 4 and getting a TD and a decent YPC.

Will O put up Portis like numbers? Extremely doubtful, out of the realm of even reasonable. Will he be a solid player if given the starting role, more than just possible, extremely likely.

Get your facts straight. Portis wasn't the man until week 5. In fact the only reason he came into week 3's game is because Gary was injured. He promptly returned to the bench in week 4, got like 5 carries in the game, and wasn't the man until week 5.
Hey Switz, what's your problem? Its like you have this venom for anyone who disagrees with you and you're completely unopen to changing your mind about anything because you're more interested in being "right" then being reasonable. Give diplomacy a try my friend... :thumbup: Portis 2002 -

Week 3 BUF W 28-23 18c 103y 5.7ypc 1td 1rc 4y (107ty)

Week 4 @BAL L 34-23 8c 55y 6.9ypc 0td 3rc 30y (85ty)

Week 5 SD W 26-9 20 102 5.1 0td 2rc 17y 1td (119ty)

Mike Anderson was 5/19 and Gary was 5/18 week 4 last year for the Broncos, if you're wondering.

HERD

Portis 2002 - Week 3 BUF W 28-23 18c 103y 5.7ypc 1td 1rc 4y (107ty) Week 4 @BAL L 34-23 8c 55y 6.9ypc 0td 3rc 30y (85ty)Week 5 SD W 26-9 20 102 5.1 0td 2rc 17y 1td (119ty)Mike Anderson was 5/19 and Gary was 5/18 week 4 last year for the Broncos, if you're wondering.HERD
Week 4....18 runs and Portis got less than half of the carries. The fact that he excelled doesn't mean he was "the man" coming into week 4, but he was after week 4.He may have been undiplomatic, but Switz was factually accurate.

Users who are viewing this thread