What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Tim Dobbins - Chance to emerge? (1 Viewer)

Per Rotoworld:

Channing Crowder-LB- Dolphins Apr. 30 - 10:13 am et

Dolphins ILB Channing Crowder confirmed that he underwent surgery to repair a fractured right foot after the season.

Crowder started running a month ago, but he conceded that his recovery is "slowly progressing." Crowder also revealed that he's "trying to catch Ronnie Brown (Lisfranc)" and "trying to get into minicamps and OTAs." That explains the Dolphins' acquisition of Tim Dobbins. It sounds like Crowder may not even be back to 100 percent by training camp. Dobbins may enter the season as the starter.

Source: South Florida Sun-Sentinel

Related: Tim Dobbins

Any chance Dobbins can go in there and win the job. I know Crowder has never been a Parcels favorite. Can Dobbins unseat him. Is his skill set one that matches up with Parcels philosophy and the Phins scheme? Can he make it as a starter? Any upside here?

Any chance Dobbins can go in there and win the job. I know Crowder has never been a Parcels favorite. Can Dobbins unseat him. Is his skill set one that matches up with Parcels philosophy and the Phins scheme? Can he make it as a starter? Any upside here?
Parcells isn't the head coach or defensive coordinator. I don't see what he would have to do with who starts.

Last edited by a moderator:
Signs are pointing to a change in 3-4 philosophy in Miami -- more Nolan and less Parcells. That doesn't necessarily help or hurt Dobbins' potential. He's definitely got a chance to push Crowder aside, but his upside is limited to whether or not he can somehow crack the nickel packages. Even if he's considered better than Crowder, the Dolphins have already suggested that AJ Edds may be ticketed for the second ILB nickel role, if they use one.

the Dolphins have already suggested that AJ Edds may be ticketed for the second ILB nickel role, if they use one.
this makes me think that Edds is the true deep sleeper here.probably more likely that they'll play Crowder or Dobbins on run downs and then Edds on pass downs if he's as good in coverage as they think though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jene, how does the "more Nolan/less Parcells" affect Karlos Dansby?
Nolan runs a 4-3 like 1-gap 3-4. Parcells prefers a more traditional 2-gap 3-4. Ordinarily it's not a huge issue, as a strong WILB can succeed in the 2-gap 3-4. In this case, with the current Dolphin question marks at NT and SILB, Dansby will be protected from blockers in Nolan's scheme more than Parcells'. There are more details in the link to the thread about 3-4 defenses (and the more recent but very similar section in Defensive Guide link) in my sig.
the Dolphins have already suggested that AJ Edds may be ticketed for the second ILB nickel role, if they use one.
this makes me think that Edds is the true deep sleeper here.probably more likely that they'll play Crowder or Dobbins on run downs and then Edds on pass downs if he's as good in coverage as they think though.
I think this is the way it breaks out, too.

Jene, how does the "more Nolan/less Parcells" affect Karlos Dansby?
Nolan runs a 4-3 like 1-gap 3-4. Parcells prefers a more traditional 2-gap 3-4. Ordinarily it's not a huge issue, as a strong WILB can succeed in the 2-gap 3-4. In this case, with the current Dolphin question marks at NT and SILB, Dansby will be protected from blockers in Nolan's scheme more than Parcells'. There are more details in the link to the thread about 3-4 defenses (and the more recent but very similar section in Defensive Guide link) in my sig.
I think this is the way it breaks out, too.
Edds out for the season with Torn ACL. Dobbins has a chance for three down role.

Per rotoworld:

Coach Tony Sparano said he envisions ILB Tim Dobbins being on the field for about 40 plays a game.

Dobbins is going to be a core special teamer while backing up Channing Crowder. He won't be a full-timer, but with Crowder coming off a Lisfranc injury, it sounds like Dobbins is going to rotate in plenty.

There you go. He backs up/spells Crowder as long as Crowder is healthy

Users who are viewing this thread