What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Tim Tebow Released By Jets! (1 Viewer)

As much as I've enjoyed his story and will remember much of the 2011 regular season for the Broncos absurd winning streak, he's going to have to change positions if he wants to be an NFL player.

I think I just heard Shefter say Tebow showed up to camp 15 pounds lighter with an improved throwing motion, so they cut him to avoid controversy. Lol

flapgreen said:
I think I just heard Shefter say Tebow showed up to camp 15 pounds lighter with an improved throwing motion, so they cut him to avoid controversy. Lol
Of course because all NFL teams are in the business of cutting players that can play. :rolleyes:

flapgreen said:
Of course because all NFL teams are in the business of cutting players that can play. :rolleyes:
Teams cut players that can play all the time.

It is just typically for cap reasons.

Maybe the Jets perspective was - as for now, Geno is our future and having Tebow around will only cause issues with Geno's development considering all the press Tebow garners. When we have to pull the plug on Sanchez, we don't want people asking us about Tebow starting when we are preparing Geno for the long haul.

I can get behind that. It's just Ryan wasn't smart enough to say it better, something like - "Mark Sanchez is our starter. We never expected a talent like Geno to be available to us with the XXX pick. We expect big things out of Geno and are committed to his development. That leaves us with a great problem of having 3 potential starting QB's. While the timing is unfortunate, we felt we should give Tebow time to find a better opportunity for him and we wish him well."

flapgreen said:
Teams cut players that can play all the time.

It is just typically for cap reasons.
A much better argument than this conspiracy theory that the Jets purposely cut Tebow to avoid a controversy because he's so good.

flapgreen said:
Oh brother. Roll your eyes all you want. Why do you keep doing that?

flapgreen said:
Teams cut players that can play all the time. It is just typically for cap reasons.
A much better argument than this conspiracy theory that the Jets purposely cut Tebow to avoid a controversy because he's so good.
Who is saying that? I don't know anyone.

Maybe the Jets perspective was - as for now, Geno is our future and having Tebow around will only cause issues with Geno's development considering all the press Tebow garners. When we have to pull the plug on Sanchez, we don't want people asking us about Tebow starting when we are preparing Geno for the long haul. I can get behind that. It's just Ryan wasn't smart enough to say it better, something like - "Mark Sanchez is our starter. We never expected a talent like Geno to be available to us with the XXX pick. We expect big things out of Geno and are committed to his development. That leaves us with a great problem of having 3 potential starting QB's. While the timing is unfortunate, we felt we should give Tebow time to find a better opportunity for him and we wish him well."
I think that's probably correct, that and Rex wasn't smart enough to figure out a way to use Tebow. That was one of the poorest coaching jobs I've ever seen. The Ryans have never been known to be classy guys either.

flapgreen said:
Teams cut players that can play all the time. It is just typically for cap reasons.
You just implied it 4 posts up.

"I think I just heard Shefter say Tebow showed up to camp 15 pounds lighter with an improved throwing motion, so they cut him to avoid controversy. Lol"

Maybe the Jets perspective was - as for now, Geno is our future and having Tebow around will only cause issues with Geno's development considering all the press Tebow garners. When we have to pull the plug on Sanchez, we don't want people asking us about Tebow starting when we are preparing Geno for the long haul.

I can get behind that. It's just Ryan wasn't smart enough to say it better, something like - "Mark Sanchez is our starter. We never expected a talent like Geno to be available to us with the XXX pick. We expect big things out of Geno and are committed to his development. That leaves us with a great problem of having 3 potential starting QB's. While the timing is unfortunate, we felt we should give Tebow time to find a better opportunity for him and we wish him well."
I think that's probably correct, that and Rex wasn't smart enough to figure out a way to use Tebow. That was one of the poorest coaching jobs I've ever seen. The Ryans have never been known to be classy guys either.
Tim Tebow was the backup QB who was given the chance to get into the game a few times a week. You are right though that Rex wasn't smart enough to figure out a way to use Tebow - he should have done what all other coaches in the league did with their backup QB's - leave them on the sidelines.

I seriously think there is a strong chance he signs with New England.
Seriously? What could he possibly do for New England, other than lead them in prayer?
Not a Belicheck fan at all - but you got to be kidding yourself if you think he is not intrigued by the thought of adding Tebow and finding a way to showcase him and display Belicheck's genius
Showcase him how? By taking Brady off the field to run a read-option? At TE instead of Gronk or Hernandez? At RB instead of Ridley or Vereen?

or does NE need a punt protector?

flapgreen said:
You just implied it 4 posts up.

"I think I just heard Shefter say Tebow showed up to camp 15 pounds lighter with an improved throwing motion, so they cut him to avoid controversy. Lol"
This same thing was reported on the NFL Network. I don't remember the guy doing the piece and I am just paraphrasing, "that he showed up 15 pound lighter, with a better throwing style and was the first in the building every day and the last to leave every night. And that sources indicated that Tebow actually had several Jets coaches that were impressed with his improvements.

Take that for what it is worth....

I could see NE using him in certain situations as a HB/Swing. He could line up in backfield with Brady. Center would hike to one but D wouldn't know which would receive snap. If snap goes to Brady, then Tebow blocks or goes into flat as a receiving HB, or Brady has option of audibling to a run play with Tebow, depending on defensive formation. In some situations ball would be snapped to Tebow and he would run option. Could be an interesting wrinkle to throw at defenses now and then in third down situations.

I could see NE using him in certain situations as a HB/Swing. He could line up in backfield with Brady. Center would hike to one but D wouldn't know which would receive snap. If snap goes to Brady, then Tebow blocks or goes into flat as a receiving HB, or Brady has option of audibling to a run play with Tebow, depending on defensive formation. In some situations ball would be snapped to Tebow and he would run option. Could be an interesting wrinkle to throw at defenses now and then in third down situations.
That's what BB has Vareen for.

flapgreen said:
You just implied it 4 posts up. "I think I just heard Shefter say Tebow showed up to camp 15 pounds lighter with an improved throwing motion, so they cut him to avoid controversy. Lol"
This same thing was reported on the NFL Network. I don't remember the guy doing the piece and I am just paraphrasing, "that he showed up 15 pound lighter, with a better throwing style and was the first in the building every day and the last to leave every night. And that sources indicated that Tebow actually had several Jets coaches that were impressed with his improvements. Take that for what it is worth....
Sounds like the kind of guy I want on my team, unless I'm the Jets.

Maybe the Jets perspective was - as for now, Geno is our future and having Tebow around will only cause issues with Geno's development considering all the press Tebow garners. When we have to pull the plug on Sanchez, we don't want people asking us about Tebow starting when we are preparing Geno for the long haul. I can get behind that. It's just Ryan wasn't smart enough to say it better, something like - "Mark Sanchez is our starter. We never expected a talent like Geno to be available to us with the XXX pick. We expect big things out of Geno and are committed to his development. That leaves us with a great problem of having 3 potential starting QB's. While the timing is unfortunate, we felt we should give Tebow time to find a better opportunity for him and we wish him well."
Tim Tebow was the backup QB who was given the chance to get into the game a few times a week. You are right though that Rex wasn't smart enough to figure out a way to use Tebow - he should have done what all other coaches in the league did with their backup QB's - leave them on the sidelines.
That post makes no sense. All other coaches keep their backup QB's on the sidelines?

flapgreen said:
You just implied it 4 posts up. "I think I just heard Shefter say Tebow showed up to camp 15 pounds lighter with an improved throwing motion, so they cut him to avoid controversy. Lol"
I'm not Adam Shefter.

That post makes no sense. All other coaches keep their backup QB's on the sidelines?
Tebow is a backup QB. Backup. Not a starter. Backup QB's are not the QB's that are in the game. Backup QBs are not used by teams unless something has happened to their starting QB. Backup QBs remain on the sidelines during the game holding the clipboard.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap10...ebow-courted-by-omaha-beef-a-team-that-exists

Tim Tebow courted by Omaha Beef, a team that exists
By Dan Hanzus

Around the League Writer

Tim Tebow cleared waivers on Tuesday, leaving him free to sign with any NFL team.

If he can't find a taker, he does have an offer in hand from the Omaha Beef, which apparently is a real team with uniforms and everything.

We decided to do a post on the Beef because a) we respect their shamelessness in matters of free publicity, and b) they have the most absurd nickname in the history of professional sports.

(Seriously, if you're signed by the Beef, do you even tell your parents? If you do, how quickly do you clarify it's not a job at a minor league version of Chippendales?)

From The Associated Press:

A day after Tebow was cut by the New York Jets, the Beef called the office of Tebow agent Jimmy Sexton to offer a standard player contract. Beef assistant general manager Andrew Mather said Tuesday that he doesn't expect to hear back, but he thought it was worth asking.

How many times a day do you think Andrew Mather makes a business call, leaves a voicemail, goes about his business, then heads home at night having not heard back from anyone? Six times? 10? 20? Has anyone ever returned a phone call to the GM of the Beef?

These are the real questions that linger.

Follow Dan Hanzus on Twitter @DanHanzus.

Donnybrook said:
And you wonder why no team wants him...the guy is a sideshow. It doesn't matter where he goes it will be extremely disruptive because of all the relgiouis fanatics that follow him around...its a no win situation for any team.
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/...ns-youve-run-your-favorite-son-out-of-the-nfl

Congratulations, Tebow fans: You've run your favorite son out of the NFL
Gregg Doyel

National Columnist

If Tim Tebow never plays in the NFL again, his fans loved his career to death.

We knew this day was coming. The rest of us, I mean. Those of us who aren't Tebow fans, even those of us who enjoyed his presence in the NFL the same way we enjoy elephants, clowns and Waldo the two-headed walrus. We knew this would happen. That one day, the squeakiest wheels on the Tebow bandwagon would drive his career right off the cliff.

Congratulations, idiot who petitioned President Obama to force the Jaguars to sign Tebow. You did this.

Congratulations, attention-seeking Florida lawyer buying air time in the Jags' market to clamor for Tebow. You did this.

But it's not just those two. It's the rest of you. It took millions of you to do this, but I'll be damned -- millions of you did it.

It's the Forbes thing. Every year the magazine surveys the country to determine the most influential person in various spheres, including sports. The most influential person in sports today? In the whole country?

Tim Tebow.

Any idea how many NFL teams -- from the owner to the general manager to the coach to the locker room -- want a backup quarterback who is considered the most influential athlete in the country?

Zero.

You've done this, Tebow fans. You've loved Tebow's career to death. You're a seventh-grader who calls his girlfriend every hour on the hour just to say, "I love you so much!" Pretty soon the girlfriend's parents put an end to the relationship, because that's just stupid. And you're being a pain in the ###.

What do you know? I stumbled onto a motto for the Tebow fan base:

We're a pain in the ###.

Here's the truth. I had this story on my radar a week ago. I can't prove it to you, but that's a fact. At the time the headline in mind was "Trolling Tebow," because that's what seemed to be happening. An arena football team, stupendously called the Omaha Beef, offered Tebow its quarterback job at $75 a game. A lingerie football league wanted Tebow to do something. Play? Coach? Referee? Not sure. I could look it up, but anything beyond the words "Tebow" and "lingerie league" is just a detail. When a window company in Florida offered him $30,000 to throw footballs at its product -- to prove its windows are hurricane-proof by having Tebow throw at them, or something -- I was sold.

Trolling Tebow. That was my story for early this week. But on Saturday, Boston College's courageous **** Kelley emailed me to say he was ready to talk. And then the Geno Smith story grabbed me by the throat. Which leads to today.

And what do you know? The story has changed from idiots trolling Tebow to even bigger idiots doing exactly what they don't want: making it difficult for Tebow to continue in the NFL -- and impossible in Jacksonville, just down the road from Nease High and the University of Florida, where the Tebow legend started and then flourished.

Last week that other stuff happened. The Omaha Beef. The lingerie league. The window company. Since Saturday, the petition to Obama happened. The commercial begging the Jags to sign Tebow happened. The Forbes survey happened.

Hell, Mike Ditka happened.

Somebody thought it was a good idea to ask Ditka about Tebow, and Ditka said he would play Tebow. This is the guy who once traded an entire draft to pick Ricky Williams, so an endorsement from Ditka means about as much as an endorsement from John Morgan.

Who is John Morgan? Exactly. Point of fact, he's an attorney in Orlando who apparently loves two things: The sound of his voice, and the sound of his voice when it says the words "Tim Tebow." Morgan combined both loves in a ridiculous radio commercial aimed at Jags owner Shahid Khan.

The commercial hit the Jacksonville airwaves Tuesday, just a few days after the WWE ringside announcer -- a WWE Hall of Famer! -- broached the idea of Tebow becoming a professional wrestler.

It's ridiculous, obviously. Somewhere off the coast of Jacksonville swims a shark. Maybe more than one shark. Maybe hundreds. The Tebow story has jumped every last one of them.

Shahid Khan knows this. When the Jags owner was asked this week about Tebow, Khan said he was "fascinated" by the question. Don't misunderstand what he was saying: He's not fascinated by Tebow. He's fascinated by the question. And it is a fascinating question:

Why the absurd demand for Tebow? Why are Tebow's fans loving him right out of the NFL?

Do they see what they're doing?

Do they see what they've done?

Users who are viewing this thread