What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Tim Tebow Released By Jets! (1 Viewer)

After day1, I was starting to think with that offensive roster they might as well just try the "Tebow offense" and try to shorten games, eliminate mistakes. Once they drafted Geno though, that goes out the window. They have to at least give him a shot.

Tebow wins games, he just does. While he may not be the best throwing QB, he wins, so why did he not get a shot over Sanchez? He cant throw or win.

Tebow wins games, he just does. While he may not be the best throwing QB, he wins, so why did he not get a shot over Sanchez? He cant throw or win.
They didn't want him as their starting QB, and were afraid that if they started him, he would win games.

I don't think anything changed for Tebow from a year ago. I think a team who is interested in doing some creative things with him may find him useful. I'm still mystified as to why the Jets brought him in without any intention of using him, but someone could.

He needs to go to a small market where he won't create the distraction he has, although that really isn't his fault. The media will follow him wherever he goes. I'm not too well versed with Chip Kelly's offense, would Tebow fit the hurry up fast tempo offense? I don't understand how Barkley does with his Pennington-like arm.

He needs to go to a small market where he won't create the distraction he has, although that really isn't his fault. The media will follow him wherever he goes. I'm not too well versed with Chip Kelly's offense, would Tebow fit the hurry up fast tempo offense? I don't understand how Barkley does with his Pennington-like arm.
I was thinking to myself that I wonder how he would fit in Green Bay since that is my team. Certainly no question who the starter is there. Devise some schemes to utilize Tebow as a RB, WR, return game or whatever. If Rodgers were to go down I'm not too excited about what I have seen in their present backups.

So is there a lot of mourning and sadness at the 4 letter network right now? Days like this makes me wish for a better smart phone to watch ESPN lose their mind

For ####s sake. NFL Network refuses to discuss anything but this bust. They keep referencing the "circus", but fail to realize that they are the circus. Just let him fade into obscurity so we don't have to hear about him anymore. He was a bust. End of story. No NFL team wants him on their roster.

So now Tebow is free to roam the deserts for forty years before ultimately winding up playing for the Orlando Predators/going to millionaire Bible study with Brett Bouchy and never, ever leaving my television since I live in Central FL?

I can hardly wait. :yucky:

I question the timing on this. I never questioned that the Jets did not want Tebow. Look, this was a team clearly going in a different direction. They knew they would be dumping Tebow. Why wait until right after the draft when 21 quarterbacks have just been drafted? Why have him show up to the off season (where he showed up in great shape)? I think the Jets have handled this whole Tebow "media manipulation" with the least class they possibly could have. They picked him up to trump the Giants getting the NY media attention. Period. But then to release him the day after the draft at a time when he is least likely to pick up with team? After not playing for a year? Why? Apparently the Jets have 5 QBs still. The Jets didn't know before the draft Tebow was going to be gone? It appears almost as if management was trying to derail his career from the point he left Denver while simultaneously monetizing his media exposure to the Jets' benefit. They never really gave him a chance.But I suppose we will see how this ends up.

I think Tebow should retire. The sooner he does, the sooner the five year waiting period will be over and he can go into the Hall of Fame.

If what he needs to succeed is a small market and no media scrutiny, then there is no worse place to come than Philly.

Barkley will do great here. Smart, quick decision maker, not a huge arm but certainly capable of making the important throws, big kid, good pocket presence, etc. His drafting tells me that Foles will start week one, Vick will be gone and Barkley will be the #2. I think its starting to sink in with the masses that Chip doesn't need a running QB to run his offense.

Won't be surprised if he hangs up the cleats for good. He will make a killing if he decided to the motivation speaking circuit though. Probably a lot more than football would ever pay him.

If what he needs to succeed is a small market and no media scrutiny, then there is no worse place to come than Philly.

Barkley will do great here. Smart, quick decision maker, not a huge arm but certainly capable of making the important throws, big kid, good pocket presence, etc. His drafting tells me that Foles will start week one, Vick will be gone and Barkley will be the #2. I think its starting to sink in with the masses that Chip doesn't need a running QB to run his offense.
:no:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000165210/article/possible-landing-spots-for-tim-tebow

Tim Tebow released: Possible landing spots for QB
By Marc Sessler

Around the League Writer

The New York Jets chiseled away at their epic quarterback depth chart on Monday by waving farewell to Tim Tebow.

It was a move long in the making. New York washes its hands of a headache-inducing, public drama and Tebow is set free to find work elsewhere. But will he?

Tebow's days as a starting quarterback appear over, but his experience with read-option concepts couldn't come at a better time. While it's plausible Tebow's next gig comes up north in Canada -- or at a CVS near you -- forging an NFL career as a fullback/tight end/X-factor isn't out of the question.

Let's examine a handful of possible landing spots:

New England Patriots: As Bill Belichick watched the Jets muddle around with Tebow last season, he went on record in October to say, "Of course he's a valuable guy." Belichick adores players from the University of Florida and might embrace the chance to use Tebow creatively on offense at a position other than quarterback. Turning Jets trash into Patriots treasure is a motivator.

San Diego Chargers: The link here is coach Mike McCoy, who squeezed every gift out of Tebow back in 2011 as offensive coordinator of the Denver Broncos. Philip Rivers is cemented into place under center, but McCoy is a highly innovative thinker who's proven he can make the most of Tebow's skill-set.

Seattle Seahawks: Bottom line: Does Tebow give you a better read-option-friendly backup than Brady Quinn, Josh Portis or Jerrod Johnson? Yes, and Pete Carroll isn't afraid to do the unexpected.

Washington Redskins: Same situation here. If the Redskins signed Pat White to simulate Robert Griffin III in practice, couldn't Tebow do the same?

Oakland Raiders: Dennis Allen witnessed Tebow's theatrics firsthand in Denver, and the Raiders need every weapon they can find on offense. Why not bring him in to compete?

Cleveland Browns: It's a long way from sunny Florida, but coach Rob Chudzinski ran an option-fueled offense in Carolina; none of Cleveland's current quarterbacks bring that flavor. The Browns didn't add a passer in the draft and appear married to the idea of giving Brandon Weeden another season, but Tebow would give this young team some flexibility.

And while this next one's a logical fit -- at least from a marketing angle -- it won't happen:

Jacksonville Jaguars: General manager David Caldwell said in January, "I can't imagine a scenario where (Tebow) would be a Jacksonville Jaguar." Asked if that might change if Tebow were released, Caldwell was firm: "Even if he's released."

Follow Marc Sessler on Twitter @MarcSesslerNFL.

I question the timing on this. I never questioned that the Jets did not want Tebow. Look, this was a team clearly going in a different direction. They knew they would be dumping Tebow. Why wait until right after the draft when 21 quarterbacks have just been drafted? Why have him show up to the off season (where he showed up in great shape)? I think the Jets have handled this whole Tebow "media manipulation" with the least class they possibly could have. They picked him up to trump the Giants getting the NY media attention. Period. But then to release him the day after the draft at a time when he is least likely to pick up with team? After not playing for a year? Why? Apparently the Jets have 5 QBs still. The Jets didn't know before the draft Tebow was going to be gone? It appears almost as if management was trying to derail his career from the point he left Denver while simultaneously monetizing his media exposure to the Jets' benefit. They never really gave him a chance.But I suppose we will see how this ends up.
This time actually makes the most sense from a Jets perspective. Assuming the Jets knew that based on events in the draft they were going to release Tebow (or even if they knew about it beforehand), you know they were going to do what they could to try and trade Tebow during the draft (to try and get something back for him). They would have taken anything for him (even a 7th rounder) - the end result though is that no team wanted to trade for Tebow (otherwise, they would have offered the bare minimum to do so). When all was said and done and there were no takers, they released him. Seems pretty straightforward to me.

As for commenting that 'x' number of QB's were drafted or already signed as undrafted players - that means absolutely nothing. If a team feels that Tebow would give them what they needed to succeed, they would sign him. If any player were released today after the draft that a team thought could help them, they'd sign him.

Sorry but it gets real old hearing about how poorly the Jets treated Tebow. He was signed as a backup QB - he was given no impression he would be given the chance to compete for the starting QB position (less than two weeks before they traded for him, the Jets gave Sanchez that massive extension). Based on what the team saw of him in practice, they didn't like what they saw. End of story - for folks (not saying you but others) to say that the Jets were afraid to play him because he might actually win - come on now. Jets fans would love to have a winning football team regardless of who gets us there (this also goes for the coaches and the owner). Tebow just didn't show enough to warrant that position.

:shrug:

I hope he does well where ever he ends up. it will be telling to see if any other NFL team makes him an offer and what comes from that.

For ####s sake. NFL Network refuses to discuss anything but this bust. They keep referencing the "circus", but fail to realize that they are the circus. Just let him fade into obscurity so we don't have to hear about him anymore. He was a bust. End of story. No NFL team wants him on their roster.
The same network you support?

Won't be surprised if he hangs up the cleats for good. He will make a killing if he decided to the motivation speaking circuit though. Probably a lot more than football would ever pay him.
Why? You think he's motivated by money? Quitting now would go against what he has stood for.

I agree with most of what you said except the bolded. They were simply holding out hope (perhaps misguidedly) that they could trade him during the draft.

Any team that wanted him before could still make room for him now, even if the drafted a 5th round QB.

There has to be a market out there for him. Rumors last time he was the block were that multiple teams (including the Packers) called about him but were only willing to give up a 7th rounder.

I assume they were hoping to get any form of draft pick compensation in a trade for him instead of just releasing him. Once they realized that wasn't happening, they cut him.

Just posted in the Bears thread that I would not mind the Bears signing him to a one year deal as long as he signed as a TE and backup QB.

Tebow to the Bears. Time for Trestman to earn his label as a 'QB whisperer'.

Just imagine, two of the most polarizing QBs in the NFL on the same roster. Perhaps in the backfield at the same time.

He's a proven winner. The only reason he doesn't play more is the ego of his coaches. The "Bust" label you've thrown on him is undeserved.

Sorry but it gets real old hearing about how poorly the Jets treated Tebow. He was signed as a backup QB - he was given no impression he would be given the chance to compete for the starting QB position (less than two weeks before they traded for him, the Jets gave Sanchez that massive extension). Based on what the team saw of him in practice, they didn't like what they saw. End of story - for folks (not saying you but others) to say that the Jets were afraid to play him because he might actually win - come on now. Jets fans would love to have a winning football team regardless of who gets us there (this also goes for the coaches and the owner). Tebow just didn't show enough to warrant that position.
Everybody and their mama knew when the Jets acquired him that he was a notorious poor practice player. To use that as the reason for not giving him a shot at starter when Sanchez was clearly struggling was disingenuous. Yes, the Jets would love to have a winning football team, but they found themselves in the same territory that Denver was in, that if they started him and he won a game or two, they would be stuck with him as a starter until he had a losing streak or face a fan revolt - no reason to not give him a shot unless one believes the rather lame excuse that a known horrible practice player didn't show anything in practice.

Tebow brings some unique skills that allowed him to be a winner but I'm afraid the media attention that he also brings may have killed his NFL career. I'm not sure he brings enough game to a team to make them willing to accept the media circus as well.

Tebow brings some unique skills that allowed him to be a winner but I'm afraid the media attention that he also brings may have killed his NFL career. I'm not sure he brings enough game to a team to make them willing to accept the media circus as well.
This, pretty much. He could have been a good role player on a team at this point. but the media has made it to where it is a circus now wherever he goes, so he is no longer worth the aggravation.

They didn't want him as their starting QB, and were afraid that if they started him, he would win games.
This is the truth. They signed him to get people to buy tickets and team gear. But they never intended to give him a chance to be more than a gadget player for the reason you mention.

Really, the Jets used him and should be ashamed. Why not let him go months ago when he might have had a chance to land somewhere else and compete? Now teams have completed FA and draft and their rosters are nearly set. That's really low of the Jets.

This, pretty much. He could have been a good role player on a team at this point. but the media has made it to where it is a circus now wherever he goes, so he is no longer worth the aggravation.
He's only gone 1 place where there was a circus.

Users who are viewing this thread