What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Titans having BEST OFFSEASON IN THE NFL! (1 Viewer)

Humor me as I only get to post now about once a week. I found some scattered posts, but nothing comprehensive. And no, the search function is not working. :boxing:

1. Re-sign Kyle Van Den Bosch - Great way to start things. Quality player at a clear position of need. Nice.

2. Travis Henry, Billy Volek, Steve McNair - Kept on board at relatively agreeable terms. Good good. The Passing game, surprisingly, was 5th in the NFL in attempts and completions and 10th in yeards. They need to improve on TD efficiency for sure, and the rushing game was somewhat blah, but they were running behind a line that lacked experience and/or grace. Good riddance to Brad Hopkins,who was a holding call waiting to happen, particularly on 3rd and 1.

3. David Thornton signed as UFA - my, oh my. Keith Bulluck to one side, DT to the other. Sounds pretty solid to me. MOre importantly, having playmakers at midfield should make things a ton easier on the DL and the young secondary. Now, if Adam Jones can only work out....

4. David Givens? SOUNDS GOOD TO ME!!!! He may not be a qualified WR1, but he pushes Bennett back to the WR2 where he can prosper and he brings leadership and NFL-jewelry to the locker room. Excellent signing.

5. Kevin Mawae - :banned: :banned: :banned: Holy cow!!! So what if he's old. He's a pro with solid experience and high standards. OUr young O-line is going to benefit from having him around for a few years, as will the running game!

6. 1.03 - Leinart, Vince, Cutler, Mario WIlliams....it doesn't matter. UNbelievably, the team picking at 1.03 appears to have reversed fortune through FA-gency and can actually, truly, take the BEST PLAYER AVAILABLE (of which there are many) with their first two selections. I wish they still had their 3rd rounder, but these signings ease the pain.

GO TITANS! 10-6 and in the playoffs! :hey: :thumbup: :lmao:
:no: Sorry, according to my sources it's absolutely fool-hardy to try to build a team through free agency. It's trying to buy a championship and that's just a waste of money.

:sarcasm: courtesy of Redskins fans.

Humor me as I only get to post now about once a week.  I found some scattered posts, but nothing comprehensive.  And no, the search function is not working.  :boxing:

1. Re-sign Kyle Van Den Bosch - Great way to start things.  Quality player at a clear position of need.  Nice.

2. Travis Henry, Billy Volek, Steve McNair - Kept on board at relatively agreeable terms.  Good good.  The Passing game, surprisingly, was 5th in the NFL in attempts and completions and 10th in yeards.  They need to improve on TD efficiency for sure, and the rushing game was somewhat blah, but they were running behind a line that lacked experience and/or grace.  Good riddance to Brad Hopkins,who was a holding call waiting to happen, particularly on 3rd and 1.

3. David Thornton signed as UFA - my, oh my.  Keith Bulluck to one side, DT to the other.  Sounds pretty solid to me.  MOre importantly, having playmakers at midfield should make things a ton easier on the DL and the young secondary.  Now, if Adam Jones can only work out....

4. David Givens?  SOUNDS GOOD TO ME!!!! He may not be a qualified WR1, but he pushes Bennett back to the WR2 where he can prosper and he brings leadership and NFL-jewelry to the locker room.  Excellent signing.

5. Kevin Mawae -  :banned:   :banned:   :banned: Holy cow!!! So what if he's old.  He's a pro with solid experience and high standards.  OUr young O-line is going to benefit from having him around for a few years, as will the running game!

6. 1.03 - Leinart, Vince, Cutler, Mario WIlliams....it doesn't matter.  UNbelievably, the team picking at 1.03 appears to have reversed fortune through FA-gency and can actually, truly, take the BEST PLAYER AVAILABLE (of which there are many) with their first two selections.  I wish they still had their 3rd rounder, but these signings ease the pain.

GO TITANS!  10-6 and in the playoffs!  :hey:   :thumbup:   :lmao:
:no: Sorry, according to my sources it's absolutely fool-hardy to try to build a team through free agency. It's trying to buy a championship and that's just a waste of money.

Wait - how many championships is the total under Snyder now? :P

Humor me as I only get to post now about once a week.  I found some scattered posts, but nothing comprehensive.  And no, the search function is not working.   :boxing:

1. Re-sign Kyle Van Den Bosch - Great way to start things.  Quality player at a clear position of need.  Nice.

2. Travis Henry, Billy Volek, Steve McNair - Kept on board at relatively agreeable terms.  Good good.  The Passing game, surprisingly, was 5th in the NFL in attempts and completions and 10th in yeards.  They need to improve on TD efficiency for sure, and the rushing game was somewhat blah, but they were running behind a line that lacked experience and/or grace.  Good riddance to Brad Hopkins,who was a holding call waiting to happen, particularly on 3rd and 1.

3. David Thornton signed as UFA - my, oh my.  Keith Bulluck to one side, DT to the other.  Sounds pretty solid to me.  MOre importantly, having playmakers at midfield should make things a ton easier on the DL and the young secondary.  Now, if Adam Jones can only work out....

4. David Givens?  SOUNDS GOOD TO ME!!!! He may not be a qualified WR1, but he pushes Bennett back to the WR2 where he can prosper and he brings leadership and NFL-jewelry to the locker room.  Excellent signing.

5. Kevin Mawae -  :banned:   :banned:   :banned: Holy cow!!! So what if he's old.  He's a pro with solid experience and high standards.  OUr young O-line is going to benefit from having him around for a few years, as will the running game!

6. 1.03 - Leinart, Vince, Cutler, Mario WIlliams....it doesn't matter.  UNbelievably, the team picking at 1.03 appears to have reversed fortune through FA-gency and can actually, truly, take the BEST PLAYER AVAILABLE (of which there are many) with their first two selections.  I wish they still had their 3rd rounder, but these signings ease the pain.

GO TITANS!  10-6 and in the playoffs!  :hey:   :thumbup:   :lmao:

Wait - how many championships is the total under Snyder now? :P
Same as the Titans have. Why do you ask?*EDIT to add - now, if you're asking about Gibbs (who's making the personnel decisions) that's a different answer. :P

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh was this the year that they finally were going to be in cap hell? Funny, I thought that was supposed to be each of the past 5 years.
Yup, this was the year.
Without a CBA extension, the Redskins would have had to release six players and submit a dozen restructured contracts.
Being able to sign free agents doesn't mean your team is healthy financially. A good barometer of how healthy your team is, financially, is how many great players it has to part ways with every season. For instance, Denver has been very unsound, financially, in past seasons. This forced them to part ways with Bert Berry, Reggie Hayward, Clinton Portis, and Ian Gold- stud performers who are still performing at a pro-bowl or near pro-bowl level. Sure, they brought in Champ Bailey and John Lynch and the Cleveland D-line (although they were actually very cheap)... but if your team is letting go stud players in the prime of their career, then there's a problem. I think the best sign coming from Denver this season isn't who they've signed (which is pretty much no one), it's who they've RESIGNED, which is pretty much everyone. Only three players from last year's team left due to financial reasons. One was a 33-year-old RB (when they have two other younger performers left on the roster), one was a backup TE, and one was a stud DE who is probably 2-3 years past his prime.

I'll eat my crow. I wanted him signed, but not at those figures. I was hoping more at around the 2 mil/yr mark. However, I've not seen anything official on those numbers, so I am going to hold some faith that they are just ####### wrong.

I'll eat my crow. I wanted him signed, but not at those figures. I was hoping more at around the 2 mil/yr mark. However, I've not seen anything official on those numbers, so I am going to hold some faith that they are just ####### wrong.
According to 2004 figures (USA Today), the top paid S (ranked by cap) were:Russell, Brian Vikings $ 7,382,400

Sharper, Darren Packers $ 5,834,732

Coleman, Marcus Texans $$ 5,603,889

Minter, Mike Panthers $ 5,443,750

McQuarters, RW Bears $ 4,250,000

Hope outplayed them ALL not only last year, but the year before that as well...And was one of the reasons the Steelers won the Superbowl. Listen, while Polamalu gets the attention because of his wacky haircut, Hope was the stopper... :yes:

'05 stats G Total Tckl Ast Sacks Int Yds Avg Lg TD Pass Def

Polamalu 16 91 73.0 18 3 2 42 21.0 36 0 6

Hope 16 96 69.0 27 0 3 60 20.0 55 0 0

Who in the league is better at FS (forget in free agency)? :shrug:

Hope outplayed them ALL not only last year, but the year before that as well...And was one of the reasons the Steelers won the Superbowl. Listen, while Polamalu gets the attention because of his wacky haircut, Hope was the stopper... :yes:
:lmao: Chris Hope is nothing more than an average safety, and he's not good at all in run support. Take it from a lot of Steelers fans who've watched him play.

If he was as good as he thinks he is, he'd deserve a contract like that. But he's not, and he's not close. The Steelers will replace Hope next year with Ryan Clark at less than half as much, and there won't be any dropoff whatsoever.

:lmao: Chris Hope is nothing more than an average safety, and he's not good at all in run support. Take it from a lot of Steelers fans who've watched him play.

If he was as good as he thinks he is, he'd deserve a contract like that. But he's not, and he's not close. The Steelers will replace Hope next year with Ryan Clark at less than half as much, and there won't be any dropoff whatsoever.
That's not true at all. If there won't be any dropoff, then why wasn't Clark starting over Hope last season? I mean, obviously Hope is better... because Hope beat Clark out for the job in the first place.I agree that Hope is overpaid, and isn't the best FS in the league, but he's certainly one of the better free safeties. Speaking in extremes doesn't really accomplish anything other than weakening your point (which was a valid point- the cost to production ratio for Clark will be better than for Hope next year).

That's not true at all. If there won't be any dropoff, then why wasn't Clark starting over Hope last season? I mean, obviously Hope is better... because Hope beat Clark out for the job in the first place.
What the heck are you talking about? Clark was on the Redskins last year.

That's not true at all. If there won't be any dropoff, then why wasn't Clark starting over Hope last season? I mean, obviously Hope is better... because Hope beat Clark out for the job in the first place.I agree that Hope is overpaid, and isn't the best FS in the league, but he's certainly one of the better free safeties. Speaking in extremes doesn't really accomplish anything other than weakening your point (which was a valid point- the cost to production ratio for Clark will be better than for Hope next year).
Sorry SSOG, theres nothing close to being accurate there.

Don't you think all these signings are affected by the new CBA. That has to be taken into account. I wouldn't be surprised if there weren't 10 higher paid safeties in the next 2-3 years

R U serious? The Giants liked Clark so much they cut him... The Skins liked Clark so much 2 years ago, they drafted Taylor 1.5 and did not sign him this offseason...I am pretty confident Hope is a loss for Pitt & will be missed....

R U serious? The Giants liked Clark so much they cut him... The Skins liked Clark so much 2 years ago, they drafted Taylor 1.5 and did not sign him this offseason...I am pretty confident Hope is a loss for Pitt & will be missed....
In fairness, Clark was a good player for the 'Skins and was a hard working and good teammate. He's a natural FS, but played the SS position with the 'Skins despite being undersized. He's a hitter too. The problem is that he's only a borderline starting talent. The 'Skins, without a bona fide SS when Matt Bowen went down, went to him and to their surprise found he could hold his own. He effectively resurrected his career that way.

I have a feeling that there are far more similarities than differences between Hope's and Clark's games.

Take off the homer Titans goggles for a minute and you'll realize that while Hope is an upgrade on the Titans, you'll also realize that there will be no drop off in production for the Steelers with Clark. I don't know what SSOG has been smokin? His entire post is puzzling.

:lmao:

The Titans are paying Chris Hope $5 million a year.

With $10 mil in guarantees. This makes me want to slap all the people on here who called this a good signing.

Thats RIDICULOUS.
Just out if curiosity - where did you fund the contract information - I am having trouble to do that - I basically want to see with my own eyes that indeed Reese has gone insane

I just have to say that the Browns offseason is much better than the Titan's. Its not even close really but I know this was originally posted before some of Cleveland's FA signings.

The Titans are paying Chris Hope $5 million a year.

With $10 mil in guarantees. This makes me want to slap all the people on here who called this a good signing.

Thats RIDICULOUS.
Just out if curiosity - where did you fund the contract information - I am having trouble to do that - I basically want to see with my own eyes that indeed Reese has gone insane
The sites I saw it on have now retracted it. No official #s have been released. Im very much hoping he got half of what the reported numbers are.

Hope's contract is a bit heavy, but the team needed some upgrades on the D side and I think they've gotten them. SOme of you are down on Hope, even though he's played well in the last couple of seasons. But more importantly, he's an upgrade for the Titans in a position of dire need, so it's a good signing.

I'm pleased w/ what they've done, and if they can snag a solid QB in the 1st round, this team will be well on it's way out of the cellar.

Colin

Hope's contract is a bit heavy, but the team needed some upgrades on the D side and I think they've gotten them. SOme of you are down on Hope, even though he's played well in the last couple of seasons. But more importantly, he's an upgrade for the Titans in a position of dire need, so it's a good signing.

I'm pleased w/ what they've done, and if they can snag a solid QB in the 1st round, this team will be well on it's way out of the cellar.

Colin
Id have to say thats pretty horrible logic Colin. Archuleta would also have been an upgrade also...would it have been a "good signing" to pay him what the Skins did?Hope is an ok saftey, but we could have gotten better value by going after a guy like Milloy, who A) is better and B) is cheaper.

Being ok with Hope's signing is "hoping" he gets alot better over the next year or two.

Colin
Id have to say thats pretty horrible logic Colin. Archuleta would also have been an upgrade also...would it have been a "good signing" to pay him what the Skins did?Hope is an ok saftey, but we could have gotten better value by going after a guy like Milloy, who A) is better and B) is cheaper.

Being ok with Hope's signing is "hoping" he gets alot better over the next year or two.
I'm not sure I think Milloy would have been a better option, and that assumes he even would have signed in Nashvills.

Title of this thread is misleading. Please change it to Titans having 2nd or 3rd best offseason in the NFL. It is widely known that the Cowboys have had the best offseason in NFL this year.

Thanks in advance.

Colin
:goodposting:

Title of this thread is misleading. Please change it to Titans having 2nd or 3rd best offseason in the NFL. It is widely known that the Cowboys have had the best offseason in NFL this year.

Thanks in advance.
Spoken from the ulitmate position of ignorant bliss (post TO signing). :mellow:

Hope's contract is a bit heavy, but the team needed some upgrades on the D side and I think they've gotten them.  SOme of you are down on Hope, even though he's played well in the last couple of seasons.  But more importantly, he's an upgrade for the Titans in a position of dire need, so it's a good signing.

Colin

I'm not sure I think Milloy would have been a better option, and that assumes he even would have signed in Nashvills.
Agreed...especially considering Milloy is on the wrong side of 30...

Having watched every Steeler game for the last 3 years, I can say without equivocation that Hope is a very solid safety. But I wouldn't have wanted the Steelers to pay what the Titans did for him.

Did we ever get the contract numbers for Hope?
I think Floyd realizes that I only live about a mile from Baptist Park, and is afraid of what Ill do to him if the real numbers are released.
Whatever he gave Givens, you should do as well......WAY overratted signing.

Did we ever get the contract numbers for Hope?
I think Floyd realizes that I only live about a mile from Baptist Park, and is afraid of what Ill do to him if the real numbers are released.
Whatever he gave Givens, you should do as well......WAY overratted signing.
Givens' contract was fine...he had multiple suitors, and there is plenty of reason to believe he can be a #1 WR.Hope...we were bidding basically against ourselves for, and hes a very one-dimensional saftey who cant tackle or get deep.

Oh was this the year that they finally were going to be in cap hell? Funny, I thought that was supposed to be each of the past 5 years.
Yup, this was the year.
Without a CBA extension, the Redskins would have had to release six players and submit a dozen restructured contracts.
Being able to sign free agents doesn't mean your team is healthy financially. A good barometer of how healthy your team is, financially, is how many great players it has to part ways with every season. For instance, Denver has been very unsound, financially, in past seasons. This forced them to part ways with Bert Berry, Reggie Hayward, Clinton Portis, and Ian Gold- stud performers who are still performing at a pro-bowl or near pro-bowl level. Sure, they brought in Champ Bailey and John Lynch and the Cleveland D-line (although they were actually very cheap)... but if your team is letting go stud players in the prime of their career, then there's a problem. I think the best sign coming from Denver this season isn't who they've signed (which is pretty much no one), it's who they've RESIGNED, which is pretty much everyone. Only three players from last year's team left due to financial reasons. One was a 33-year-old RB (when they have two other younger performers left on the roster), one was a backup TE, and one was a stud DE who is probably 2-3 years past his prime.
and one was a stud DE who is probably 2-3 years past his prime. all the more reason I think it's a possibility Denver uses #15 and #22 to trade up for Mario Williams in the Top 5

As a Jags fan that follows the titans fairly closely, they've improved the strength of roster greatly, especially when you consider the horrible cap situation. To the posters that are giving the titan fans a hard time about being excited I have only to say that you have to understand that it's been a while since they've had anything to be excited about. Let them have their fun now and during the draft. The season will start soon enough. :boxing:

These are the base salaries updated on NFLPA.org for Hope - No clue about the signing bonus

2006 585000.00

2007 1000000.00

2008 1500000.00

2009 4000000.00

2010 5500000.00

2011 6500000.00

Essentially looks like a three year deal.

According to 2004 figures (USA Today), the top paid S (ranked by cap) were: Russell, Brian Vikings $ 7,382,400 Sharper, Darren Packers $ 5,834,732 Coleman, Marcus Texans $$ 5,603,889 Minter, Mike Panthers $ 5,443,750 McQuarters, RW Bears $ 4,250,000
Brian Russell was the highest paid safety in the league in 2004? That can't be accurate.found this blurb when trying to look up more info on that:
So we see that bonuses are a way to take money from next year's cap and move it into this year. There are also ways to move money from this year's cap into next year, but these are almost never used. The NFL is most certainly a win-now-pay-later sort of place. The Vikings linebacker Brian Russell had a contract with a $7M bonus for special teams performance. The league considered that this bonus was likely to be earned. However, Brian did not play on special teams, and the bonus was never paid. So the Vikings got a $7M rebate applied to their '05 cap. They apparently did this to offset the $7M cap hit they took for trading Randy Moss, indicating that the decision to trade Randy was made some time ago. You must remember, however, that in '04 they played with $7M less cap room than anyone else.
so, apparently the Vikings were charged the $7 million cap hit in 2004, but never actually paid him the money and got a $7 million rebate in 2005 in return. Interesting that they had already prepared for the Moss trade in this way.I wonder how accurate the rest of those salary numbers are. I'd be surprised if Marcus Coleman or RW McQuarters actually made that much money.

These are the base salaries updated on NFLPA.org for Hope - No clue about the signing bonus

2006 585000.00

2007 1000000.00

2008 1500000.00

2009 4000000.00

2010 5500000.00

2011 6500000.00

found this in a google search:
Chris Hope, FS, Pittsburgh

To Tennessee, 6 years, $30.6 million, $5 million signing bonus.
so, it's basically a 3-year deal, $8 million deal. seems pretty reasonable to me. I'm not sure he's a great fit at SS, but he's a quality young safety who I think the Steelers would have brought back if another team like the Titans wasn't willing to overpay a little.

2006 585000.00

2007 1000000.00

2008 1500000.00

2009 4000000.00

2010 5500000.00

2011 6500000.00

found this in a google search:
Chris Hope, FS, Pittsburgh

To Tennessee, 6 years, $30.6 million, $5 million signing bonus.
so, it's basically a 3-year deal, $8 million deal. seems pretty reasonable to me.
There must be 6.5M in other bonuses along the way - probably in the last three years to make the numbers match - and three years 8M sounds pretty reasonable to me as well

How's the defense going to be for fantasy purposes this year. I just picked them up in a trade and am really wondering how they'll fair? I'm not expecting top ten but is top 15 possible?

There must be 6.5M in other bonuses along the way - probably in the last three years to make the numbers match - and three years 8M sounds pretty reasonable to me as well
good point. I guess there could be some type of roster bonus coming up in a year or two that is unaccounted for in these numbers.

How's the defense going to be for fantasy purposes this year. I just picked them up in a trade and am really wondering how they'll fair? I'm not expecting top ten but is top 15 possible?
It depends on what other moves they make. MLB and CB are still huge needs. As is, they are still in the lower 50%.

I've heard someone with usually reliable information who says that the Titans are contemplating trading their 07 1st pick and another pick so that they can draft DeAngelo Williams if they can find a partner.

First, I like it.

Second, that obviously means McNair and 14mm of his cap hit are gone.

I've heard someone that someone with usually reliable information says that the Titans are contemplating trading their 07 1st pick and another pick so that they can draft DeAngelo Williams if they can find a partner.

First, I like it.

Huh?

I've heard someone that someone with usually reliable information says that the Titans are contemplating trading their 07 1st pick and another pick so that they can draft DeAngelo Williams if they can find a partner.

First, I like it.

Huh?
What do you not understand?

I've heard someone with usually reliable information who says that the Titans are contemplating trading their 07 1st pick and another pick so that they can draft DeAngelo Williams if they can find a partner.

First, I like it.

I can see this happening if Deangelo falls into the 18-22 range. 2nd rd + 2007 1st rounder for #18 + 2006 5th rounder.I would very much NOT like to see this.

I think DeAngelo is a great player, but Im having a hard time seeing this team being better than 5-11 or 6-10 with McNair gone(its a forgone conclusion now). Id hate to give up a top 10 pick next year in a top heavy draft.

Users who are viewing this thread