What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Titans having BEST OFFSEASON IN THE NFL! (1 Viewer)

Colin Dowling

Footballguy
Humor me as I only get to post now about once a week. I found some scattered posts, but nothing comprehensive. And no, the search function is not working. :boxing:

1. Re-sign Kyle Van Den Bosch - Great way to start things. Quality player at a clear position of need. Nice.

2. Travis Henry, Billy Volek, Steve McNair - Kept on board at relatively agreeable terms. Good good. The Passing game, surprisingly, was 5th in the NFL in attempts and completions and 10th in yeards. They need to improve on TD efficiency for sure, and the rushing game was somewhat blah, but they were running behind a line that lacked experience and/or grace. Good riddance to Brad Hopkins,who was a holding call waiting to happen, particularly on 3rd and 1.

3. David Thornton signed as UFA - my, oh my. Keith Bulluck to one side, DT to the other. Sounds pretty solid to me. MOre importantly, having playmakers at midfield should make things a ton easier on the DL and the young secondary. Now, if Adam Jones can only work out....

4. David Givens? SOUNDS GOOD TO ME!!!! He may not be a qualified WR1, but he pushes Bennett back to the WR2 where he can prosper and he brings leadership and NFL-jewelry to the locker room. Excellent signing.

5. Kevin Mawae - :banned: :banned: :banned: Holy cow!!! So what if he's old. He's a pro with solid experience and high standards. OUr young O-line is going to benefit from having him around for a few years, as will the running game!

6. 1.03 - Leinart, Vince, Cutler, Mario WIlliams....it doesn't matter. UNbelievably, the team picking at 1.03 appears to have reversed fortune through FA-gency and can actually, truly, take the BEST PLAYER AVAILABLE (of which there are many) with their first two selections. I wish they still had their 3rd rounder, but these signings ease the pain.

GO TITANS! 10-6 and in the playoffs! :hey: :thumbup: :lmao:

Yep.. take a young QB in the first (unless they are extremely high on Mario) and grab a MLB in the second (Abdul Hodge or D'Qwell Jackson)

Actually, I agree, though Clevelend is giving them a run for their money IMO.
Agree. dID THEy get McGinest yet? That and a QB (I think I heard Ramsey???is that right????) could get Cleveland's fortune changed in a hurry.

Although Norm Chow was rumored to have a rough year and some differences with his higher ups, the prospect of Leinart going to Tenn is intriguing.

With N.O. signing Brees, it lessens the need for a QB. If N.O. drafts from the #2 spot or Tenn swaps spots with them to block another team (jets $ others) this could easily happen.

I'm not sure where that would leave Volek but several teams had reportedly inquired about him. A trade perhaps? Move their RD 2 pick to a Mid 1? That's all guessing of course.

Regardless, for a team that was in absolute cap hell they've done well. And, if they can get the franchise QB for the future on the same team with his college OC, a lot to like for the future.

------------ An aside, if you're a Tenn Homer, what do you make of the backfield situation now?

Although Norm Chow was rumored to have a rough year and some differences with his higher ups, the prospect of Leinart going to Tenn is intriguing.

With N.O. signing Brees, it lessens the need for a QB. If N.O. drafts from the #2 spot or Tenn swaps spots with them to block another team (jets $ others) this could easily happen.

I'm not sure where that would leave Volek but several teams had reportedly inquired about him. A trade perhaps? Move their RD 2 pick to a Mid 1? That's all guessing of course.

Regardless, for a team that was in absolute cap hell they've done well. And, if they can get the franchise QB for the future on the same team with his college OC, a lot to like for the future.

------------ An aside, if you're a Tenn Homer, what do you make of the backfield situation now?
I'd give up Volek for any pick between 50 and 70, considering this draft is SUPER deep and they don't have a 3rd rounder.THe backfield has two guys that need gaps to run through, and hopefully Mawae can help the young guys figure out how to make that happen.

I think the Jets and the Saints will end up swapping picks, leaving the Jets to take Leinart and the Saints to take WIlliams. As such, the Titans still end up picking Vince (fingers crossed) or Cutler.

COlin

2. Travis Henry, Billy Volek, Steve McNair - Kept on board at relatively agreeable terms. Good good. The Passing game, surprisingly, was 5th in the NFL in attempts and completions and 10th in yeards. They need to improve on TD efficiency for sure, and the rushing game was somewhat blah, but they were running behind a line that lacked experience and/or grace. Good riddance to Brad Hopkins,who was a holding call waiting to happen, particularly on 3rd and 1.
What were the terms agreed upon for those three players? I don't remember seeing anything regarding Henry re-structuring his contract, and lowering his roster bonus.

Regardless, for a team that was in absolute cap hell they've done well.  And, if they can get the franchise QB for the future on the same team with his college OC, a lot to like for the future.

I'd give up Volek for any pick between 50 and 70, considering this draft is SUPER deep and they don't have a 3rd rounder.THe backfield has two guys that need gaps to run through, and hopefully Mawae can help the young guys figure out how to make that happen.

I think the Jets and the Saints will end up swapping picks, leaving the Jets to take Leinart and the Saints to take WIlliams. As such, the Titans still end up picking Vince (fingers crossed) or Cutler.

COlin
Its looking more and more like Vince will not be a top 5 pick.

COlin
Its looking more and more like Vince will not be a top 5 pick.
Possibly, but keep in mind that everything so far is just speculation. The teams are playing things WAY close to the vest this year. I can't imagine a scenario where Leinart is not QB1 and my insiders at the Titans front office tell me that Reggie Bush is #1 on their board (that isn't speculation, that is fact). As such, I think it's safe to say that Bush is going top-3, Williams will be top-5, and Leinart will be QB1. As such, the Young/Cutler bit will continue to be interesting (although I don't see Young lasting past the Raiders) and D'Brick likely isn't sliding past the 49ers. The wild card in my opinion is Haloti Ngata, who cold rise as high as 4 even w/out trrades.Colin

COlin
I'm with you on the Titans big day! As for our #3 pick, I'm really up in the air. There are so many variables that come into play. First, does McNair restructure his contract, allowing us an additional 10 mil in cap space to pursue additional upgrades at our weak positions. I don't think Reese is happy with McNair and Cook after holding his feet to the fire before the CBA was signed. I'm not conviced that Reese thinks McNair is the "must have" player for us anymore. And I'm not convinced either.

Two, the Saints/Brees signing throws a wrench into all draft plans. I really think Leinart is our guy because he's already a step ahead by knowing Chow's terminology and general offense system. Will Leinart be there for us at #3? If so, is there a chance we let McNair walk? Or do we convince someone like the Raiders to trade up to grab Young?

BTW, I don't think M. Williams is on the Saints radar. Their strongest position is DE. And that's after letting go of Howard this offseason. Now Hawk, he is one they should be looking at.

I'm not patient enough for Vince to "develop" under McNair. I want an impact player for this season. I could go on, but it's late :yawn:

Regardless, for a team that was in absolute cap hell they've done well.  And, if they can get the franchise QB for the future on the same team with his college OC, a lot to like for the future.

COlin
If the Jets take Leinart at #2, do you see them going Vince? I'm not sold on that. Say Vince is evaluated by the Texans and they think #3 is too high. Which way do they go? THE BRICK? MARIO? HAWK?As a Chris Brown owner, I'm wishing for the BRICK. Brown is a borderline keeper for me in a Keep 6 league. If they got a primo T like him in the draft in addition to Mawae, that might swing me toward keeping him

It sounds as though you're a Young fan but given what you know with your connections, what should we expect to see in truth come April?

As far as a need perspective, I'd say OL is of greater concern than DL or LBer. I guess QB migh be high up there as well....

I'm not as familiar with Bulluck Thorton and Hawk. That'd make an awesome trio but none of them is a mike right?

The Redskins have done alright thus far. Sure they didn't guys cheaply but I think Snyder and his team have shown that is of no concern.

What were the terms agreed upon for those three players? I don't remember seeing anything regarding Henry re-structuring his contract, and lowering his roster bonus.
Mar 8 Jim Wyatt, of the Tennessean, reports Tennessee Titans RB Travis Henry's scheduled base salary of $1 million for 2006 was reduced to $545,000 when he restructured his contract last week. He's scheduled to earn base salaries of $708,000 in 2007, $871,000 in 2008 and $1.03 million in 2009.
LINK

I'm convinced we'll sign Hope. As well as Mcnair structuring, freeing up another 10-13 mil. We'll probably draft either Abdul Hodge or Dqwell Jackson with our 2nd round pick and insert them as the ILB with Bulluck and Thornton as book ends. However, if Mcnair does restructure, I would love to see if Lavar Arrington wants to make the switch to Middle line backer a la Ray Lewis, and come play for us... And I still see us drafting Young with the third pick. Depending on who is out there, I wouldn't mind us grabbing another cb, and trying to resign Tank Williams.

Last edited by a moderator:
Colin,

I was going to come here tonight and post the exact same thing, for most of the exact same reasons.

Not only have we signed 3 very good players at reasonable rates, 2 of which are young and in their prime, we have made several good decisions in letting people go.

Brad Hopkins was beyond done, and Im very glad we didnt make a financial commitment to him.

Im also EXTREMELY happy that we didnt match the INSANE offer given to Justin Hartwig by the Panthers. Im not sure what tape they saw of Hartwig that made them think he was anything but a mediocre spot-starter, but paying him as a top 5 center is just insane.

Im so happy about our draft position. There are 6 players (Leinart, Cutler, Bush, Young, Brick, Mario Williams) that Id be happy with at this point, and I really dont think we can screw this up.

I'm convinced we'll sign Hope.
It better be for cheap.
As well as Mcnair structuring, freeing up another 10-13 mil.
Why would McNair agree to this? Teams like Baltimore are still out there which would snap him up in a second and pay him very well.
I would love to see if Lavar Arrington wants to make the switch to Middle line backer a la Ray Lewis, and come play for us...
:yucky: Thankfully, we won't have the money for Arrington.
And I still see us drafting Young with the third pick.
I agree with this.
Depending on who is out there, I wouldn't mind us grabbing another cb, and trying to resign Tank Williams.
Management has all but ruled out bringing back Tank. Hed have to come VERY cheaply.

Mar 8 Jim Wyatt, of the Tennessean, reports Tennessee Titans RB Travis Henry's scheduled base salary of $1 million for 2006 was reduced to $545,000 when he restructured his contract last week. He's scheduled to earn base salaries of $708,000 in 2007, $871,000 in 2008 and $1.03 million in 2009.
LINK
I thought the big thing was that he had a nice roster bonus or something to that affect?

I can't work the quote #### like you Diesel but I'll try and answer.

I think Hope is an upgrade over all the safeties on our roster. And it will be realitively inexpensive. I got a question, if management has no interest in resigning Tank, and Hope falls through, who is going to be our starting safeties? Lamont and Vinnie? I'm not very optimistic about that to be honest.

Why would Mcnair agree to restructure? Because even though he is counting 23 mil to the cap, we aren't paying him that. We draft his protege VY, in which he's already agreed to stay on and groom. We restructure his contract declining over the span of 3 years, reducing the hit this year, and keeping him around the 8-9 mil range next year. He's not out any money, he has his Vince Young to teach, and we have an extra 10 mil in cap. It all makes perfect sense to me.

And, right or wrong I've always like Lavar, I think he is an awesome talent, and with our linebackers coach, could really follow suit. Not to mention I think he would really enjoy playing with Bulluck, but thats just me.

Godspeed.

Jaguar fan chiming in here.

I think the Thornton signing and Givens signing were both excellent moves. They are both relatively young and I believe that their best football is ahead of them. :thumbup:

However, I am not sure as to what they are trying to build right now. It looks as if they are trying to win ASAP and cut short their overhaul. Last years personnel moves all looked as if they were intent on rebuilding for at least a couple of seasons. As cap strapped as they had been in recent seasons, I assumed that they would continue to build for runs in 2007 and beyond. But the recent restructuring and certain signings lead me to think differently. Am I off-base in this line of thinking?

Offbase...maybe. Let me try to understand. How is our signings so far not going to be beneficial now, and in the future? Mawae I could see based on his age, but KVB, Thornton and Givens, could play with us 5-8 more years each if they do well. I see us managing the cap much better, and gaining players with immediate and future impact.

The Redskins have done alright thus far. Sure they didn't guys cheaply but I think Snyder and his team have shown that is of no concern.
They have? Snyder dodged a huge bullet this season with the extra cap room from the new CBA. The Redskins were about 2 days away from Cap Armageddon. You want to know what Cap Armageddon looks like? Well, it looks a lot like the San Francisco 49ers. Or possibly the Titans, who this thread seems to be about.

who is going to play MLB and SS and do they have any CBs who can cover? Thanks, I'll hang up and listen.
Agreed. The Titans have made some nice moves, but they have too many glaring holes unfilled to say they're having the best offseason in the NFL.If Denver manages to complete the trade for Abrahams, I think Denver wins the award, hands down. The Nalen/Lepsis resignings make Kevin Mawae look like nothing more than a really old player on the downside of his career and coming off of a major injury (in other words, exactly like Kevin Mawae). Gerard Warren was resigned, Engleberger was resigned, Brown was resigned, Lynch was resigned, Brandon was resigned, Dayne was resigned, Leach was resigned, Burns was resigned... basically, Denver managed to take a team that was $25 million over the cap and not only keep it together with only the loss of Pryce, Putzier, and Anderson... manage to clear out a ton of cap room in the process.

Again, if Denver gets Abraham to offset the loss of Pryce, I don't see how anyone else's offseason can compare. Went from $25 mil over to under the cap, replacing Pryce with Abraham (better passrusher still in his prime), losing Putzier and Anderson, and adding 10-11 draft picks. Phenominal.

die hard titans fan here .. and i have dis-agree to a piont

1. Volek = the next Alex Van Pelt -- backup type Qb who they needed to deal at the highest value

2. Givens = a quality # 2 wr .. nothing more . they already have many of those on the roster now

3. Thorton, Mawae vets that are past their prime .. and not going to be around when the titans are actual playoff contenders

4. McNair who i do believe is the heart and soul of the team .. has lost the skills to " elevate" a team .. Mcnair panics when pressured and is going to be around for 1 more year at most .....

5.T.Henry - is yet another vet who is past the prime and has lost a step

the team that is supposed to be rebuilding and building for 2 or 3 years down the line .. is spending money on guys who will do nothing to get them over the hump . but bring maybe the odd win to a hopeful 8 and 8 season .... maybe

3. Thorton, Mawae vets that are past their prime .. and not going to be around when the titans are actual playoff contenders
Thornton is entering his 5th year...hes "past his prime"?

if you take a look at his numbers they have leveled off .. guess a better way to say it would have been to say .. he is a player that " is at his ceiling" .. he is not going to be a difference maker ... there are a number of worse players out there . no doubt .. but the fact is spending money on these type players would be better off put towards a player that might have a higher impact upside ..

imo ---- nothing more

i just cant excited about second tier guys over and over and over again ...

3. Thorton, Mawae  vets that are past their prime .. and not going to be around when the titans are actual playoff contenders
Thornton is entering his 5th year...hes "past his prime"?
You can argue that Thorton is overpaid, but not past his prime. The last two Colts LBs that signed major contracts on other teams have been impact players on their new teams.

Titans need to do a LOT more to be playoff worthy. 29th in points allowed...a secondary that got shredded every which way but loose. Oh, and that was WITH Kyle Vanden Bosch on the team playing out of his mind.

You can't help but like the moves Tennessee has made this offseason, but they're not playoff caliber...YET.

i think Mawae is a great signing, and I do feel that the Titans will move up to get Bush, I can't see houston taking bush when they have so many other holes to fill,and the HC can turn Helen Keller into a 1500 yard, 16 td RB..

COlin
I'm with you on the Titans big day! As for our #3 pick, I'm really up in the air. There are so many variables that come into play. First, does McNair restructure his contract, allowing us an additional 10 mil in cap space to pursue additional upgrades at our weak positions. I don't think Reese is happy with McNair and Cook after holding his feet to the fire before the CBA was signed. I'm not conviced that Reese thinks McNair is the "must have" player for us anymore. And I'm not convinced either.

Two, the Saints/Brees signing throws a wrench into all draft plans. I really think Leinart is our guy because he's already a step ahead by knowing Chow's terminology and general offense system. Will Leinart be there for us at #3? If so, is there a chance we let McNair walk? Or do we convince someone like the Raiders to trade up to grab Young?

BTW, I don't think M. Williams is on the Saints radar. Their strongest position is DE. And that's after letting go of Howard this offseason. Now Hawk, he is one they should be looking at.

I'm not patient enough for Vince to "develop" under McNair. I want an impact player for this season. I could go on, but it's late :yawn:

I really like the Thornton signing. And I AM jealous of that.

But other than Thornton, meh. Not impressed.

so, will Hope play SS and Lamont Thompson at FS?
Would guess Vincent Fuller will play FS, not Thompson...unless we've resigned Thompson and I didnt notice.
my bad, didn't realize Thompson was UFAbut they are planning on using Hope at SS then?

Would guess Vincent Fuller will play FS, not Thompson...unless we've resigned Thompson and I didnt notice.
my bad, didn't realize Thompson was UFAbut they are planning on using Hope at SS then?
We actually extended Thompson contract by 3 years..They picked up an option about a week ago

Very good offseason. I think "you" overpaid Givens by a lot, but everything else was solid. i haven't seen the dollars on Hope, but I thought he was solid and would have liked to see the Dolphins or Giants get him

He's not. LaMont Thompson is under contract. You must be thinking of Tank Williams, who IS a free agent.LaMont, Vinny Fuller, and Hope will man the safeties. My guess is that you'll have Hope at SS with Lamont and Vinny at FS. Vinny can play Nickel, as well, thankfully and keep the worthless Woolfolk off the field.

He's not. LaMont Thompson is under contract. You must be thinking of Tank Williams, who IS a free agent.LaMont, Vinny Fuller, and Hope will man the safeties. My guess is that you'll have Hope at SS with Lamont and Vinny at FS. Vinny can play Nickel, as well, thankfully and keep the worthless Woolfolk off the field.
WTF is going on here?Diesel is a Titans homer...no way he confused Tank Williams with Lamont Thompson.

:confused:

:lmao:

WTF is going on here?Diesel is a Titans homer...no way he confused Tank Williams with Lamont Thompson.

:confused:

:lmao:
Im honestly not sure what I was thinking. I really thought Thompson was a UFA. Carry on.

Not to burst your bubble, but there's nothing to be that exited about. It's been a decent offseason, but this team has a ways to go. You've improved, but haven't dramatically upgraded your roster.

QB: McNair and Volek resigned, Leinart (hypothetical) drafted

This helps get you where you're going, but if McNair starts next year there's no reason to expect him to be much better than he was in 2005. Leinart will help in a couple of years.

RB: Henry and Brown resigned

These guys were just ok in 2005 and will likely be just ok in 2006. Henry's a hard runner, but nothing special. Brown shows flashes but can't stay healthy.

WR: Givens is a solid #2 WR, but nothing more. He's a piece of the puzzle, but a small piece.

OL: Mawae is old, so it's hard to imagine him being a huge upgrade.

Defense: Thorton's a solid, young player but he's not a star. Van Boeschen was a great guy to keep, but doesn't represent an upgrade from 2005.

The only actual upgrade I see to your starting roster in 2006 is Thorton, Mawae and Givens. Younger players will continue to develop and you'll have a solid draft (Tennessee always does), but this won't get you 10 wins. Indy and Jacksonville are still far ahead of Tennesse in the division.

Solid offseason, not great.

The Redskins have done alright thus far.  Sure they didn't guys cheaply but I think Snyder and his team have shown that is of no concern.
They have? Snyder dodged a huge bullet this season with the extra cap room from the new CBA. The Redskins were about 2 days away from Cap Armageddon. You want to know what Cap Armageddon looks like? Well, it looks a lot like the San Francisco 49ers. Or possibly the Titans, who this thread seems to be about.

who is going to play MLB and SS and do they have any CBs who can cover? Thanks, I'll hang up and listen.
Agreed. The Titans have made some nice moves, but they have too many glaring holes unfilled to say they're having the best offseason in the NFL.If Denver manages to complete the trade for Abrahams, I think Denver wins the award, hands down. The Nalen/Lepsis resignings make Kevin Mawae look like nothing more than a really old player on the downside of his career and coming off of a major injury (in other words, exactly like Kevin Mawae). Gerard Warren was resigned, Engleberger was resigned, Brown was resigned, Lynch was resigned, Brandon was resigned, Dayne was resigned, Leach was resigned, Burns was resigned... basically, Denver managed to take a team that was $25 million over the cap and not only keep it together with only the loss of Pryce, Putzier, and Anderson... manage to clear out a ton of cap room in the process.

Again, if Denver gets Abraham to offset the loss of Pryce, I don't see how anyone else's offseason can compare. Went from $25 mil over to under the cap, replacing Pryce with Abraham (better passrusher still in his prime), losing Putzier and Anderson, and adding 10-11 draft picks. Phenominal.
Oh was this the year that they finally were going to be in cap hell? Funny, I thought that was supposed to be each of the past 5 years.

Well, word here now is just the reverse -- Lamont at SS and Hope at FS.

Users who are viewing this thread