What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Titans offseason 2015 (1 Viewer)

This mock at CBS http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/nfl-draft-scout/25070402/nfl-mock-draft-titans-stick-with-mettenberger-draft-gregory annoys me because he calls the Titans pick a standup rush end like Derrick Morgan. That reads to me like a 4-3 end.

Short of Amari Cooper the Titans needs seem to consistently match picks 6-7 or a little later. Tackle, big behemoth NT, true OLB, top CB....closer we get the more I think they trade down. It might not be some glorious trade for Mariotta's spot but enough to allow a team to move up a handful of spots.

I want Amari, but most of all I'll take 5 starters in this draft. That would make an excellent draft for any GM, but with their very weak lineup I do think it's possible.

I think it should be "easy" to draft a G, since the top ones seem to go later. ILB is a poor position on their team and any OLB is better than a DE trying to fit. That's 3 spots.

The Titans drafted CBs never do well until like year 3. Pacman was probably the best right away but even he got burned enough. Verner only went for INTs and was a terrible young corner that could be faked into giving up a big play, but when Cortland left he stepped up. I like that guy from Houston that barely played. if Bleeding and McCourty are at some sort of ripe age where they are going to suddenly produce then I will oh so begrudgingly go with not drafting a CB but all in all I think this shows my disdain for waiting while a CB grows up and learns the NFL position. That was some of the worst CB play I've ever seen, in 2014, and if I were GM I'd be threatening if that ever happened again I'd...

Again, Verner has not gone over big in Tampa. The money is there against the cap, seeing what it takes to get him back is the most assuring prospect to me.

There's a zillion articles how the Titans will spend time evaluating QBs at the combine and use their interviews to be certain Mett is the guy. They better not. You only have X number of interviews. Luck takes some of the possibilities away, but you're supposed to interview guys you'd reasonably draft and not waste them on guys you won't pick.

If I were an owner, I'd fire someone if that happened.

They've got invaluable senior bowl experience, now time to sit down with some guys...you've gotta be kidding me if you're going to waste that on players you have no intention of picking

The NFL world is focused on the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and what they will do with the top pick in the upcoming NFL Draft. It's the Tennessee Titans who hold the key to the draft and they are also the biggest mystery.

While we still don't know who the Bucs will draft, there are signs it will be Florida State quarterback Jameis Winston. But more importantly, it would be a huge upset if Tampa Bay does not draft a quarterback.

That's where the Titans come in and the drafts of several teams hinge on what Tennessee decides to do with the second pick of the draft.

In a draft where most agree that there are two potential franchise quarterbacks, the Titans could simply draft whomever is left after the Bucs' pick and general manager Ruston Webster said the team is not ruling out that possibility. That move is more likely if Winston is still available as he would fit the Titans' offense better.

At the same time, Webster and head coach Ken Whisenhunt continue to praise starter Zach Mattenberger and some believe they will stick with the second-year quarterback and pass on a quarterback in the draft.

If that happens, the Titans could then take defensive lineman Leonard Williams from USC, a player many feel is the top-rated player in the draft.

But the smarter move may be to trade away the pick just as the St. Louis Rams did with the second pick in the 2012 when, like this year, there were two highly-touted quarterbacks available in Andrew Luck and Robert Griffin III.

If teams in need of a quarterback are high on the two QBs available in the draft, they will almost certainly need to trade up into picks 2-5 as most projections now have the Jets taking Mariota if he is still available with the No. 6 pick.

That makes the Titans' pick extremely valuable as they hold the one pick that can guarantee teams a shot at drafting a quarterback. That value is enhanced even further by a very weak free agent quarterback class which could make teams even more desperate in the draft.

The Titans' decision to hold on to their pick or trade it then impacts the next three picks in the draft as their value is tied to the availability of one of the quarterbacks. It also has a huge impact on the 6th pick where the Jets could be waiting for a QB to fall to them.

In other words, the top of this year's draft is completely up in the air and it is actually the Titans who are controlling most of the cards.

The idea that a team would trade up for a QB the Titans don't want seems highly unlikely. Scheme plays a role of course, just don't see it being enough of a reason here.

The idea that a team would trade up for a QB the Titans don't want seems highly unlikely. Scheme plays a role of course, just don't see it being enough of a reason here.
Which is why they interview and investigate and say that though they like Mett they need to do their due diligence etc.

Keep the hope/chance alive that the Jets or someone around there will trade up. If not, pick Leonard Williams.

There are still articles about the Eagles wanting to get Mariota and reuniting with his coach who adores him is one that makes sense. Ya gotta figure if Sanchez was your best QB and you're rumored to be interested in Locker, Mariota looks like gold. I don't think that trade idea goes away til after the draft.

Other than them I agree for the most part.

The Pats or Saints or someone with an old QB could surprise. I suppose the current standard for great QBs is to go from Manning to Luck, Favre to Rodgers. This seems very far-fetched though.

My issue is more that the value of the pick might be small-ie not RG3 or Eli type trade a bunch to get it but real small by comparison.

Leonard Williams could be construed as too small for 3-4 DT. He's 291-300 depending which site. The CBs are projected to go later, the tweener DE/OLBs start 8-10 depending on mocks, the top Ts are a bit later than usual. No one fits the Titans at 2 really.

IMO There's more of a need for them to trade down than for a team to trade up. It feels more like they need a suitor than team's clamoring over a chance to move up.

If they could somehow get two later 1sts, I'm sure people would be pleased with a CB and OLB. Top of 2nd seems well set up to take a top ranked G. At 2, the only certain type stud that could play day one seems to be Cooper. Even he is projected a little later but at least it's possible he could seem like a fine producer in time and thus a fine pick.

Which is why they interview and investigate and say that though they like Mett they need to do their due diligence etc.

Keep the hope/chance alive that the Jets or someone around there will trade up. If not, pick Leonard Williams.
If Mariota is somehow available at #2 and the Titans don't draft him (barring a Griffin-type offer) they deserve to suck for the next decade.

Lebeau to have voice in the draft

http://www.tennessean.com/story/sports/nfl/titans/2015/02/22/titans-****-lebeau-nfl-ken-whisenhunt-ruston-webster/23858185/

From Tennessean

The team met with agents for a number of players here at the combine, and will continue to hold discussions in the coming weeks.

Linebacker Derrick Morgan, punter Brett Kern and kicker Ryan Succop are among the players the Titans have expressed an interest in re-signing.

Top pick: DL stud. If there isn't one try to trade down a bit with someone in love with Mariotta (Raiders?); if trade down; top DB

2nd Round: LB. DB?

3rd rnd: Bruising back, top of the third, should be talent left

4th and beyond: D all the way, maybe a back up OL somewhere
if the Raiders trade up for MM, I'd hope Carr would be included. I'd injure myself rushing to the phone to accept that deal.
No chance this happens ...

Top pick: DL stud. If there isn't one try to trade down a bit with someone in love with Mariotta (Raiders?); if trade down; top DB

2nd Round: LB. DB?

3rd rnd: Bruising back, top of the third, should be talent left

4th and beyond: D all the way, maybe a back up OL somewhere
if the Raiders trade up for MM, I'd hope Carr would be included. I'd injure myself rushing to the phone to accept that deal.
No chance this happens ...
Nope.

Is Leonard Williams the answer at 1.02? I think so but who knows?

From Tennessean

5]The team met with agents for a number of players here at the combine, and will continue to hold discussions in the coming weeks.

5]Linebacker Derrick Morgan, punter Brett Kern and kicker Ryan Succop are among the players the Titans have expressed an interest in re-signing.
I like Morgan but it seems he'd be better somewhere else.

Would the Titans be interested in Jason Worilds? The Steelers are reportedly (NFL.com) looking at letting him walk. He obviously has experience with LeBeau.

What about Reggie Bush? Is he done, or could he give the running game a spark that Sankey, Green, McCuster and Washington all did not last year? Or are they going rookie? Are there other FA RBs that might be brought in as a complement to Sankey (or starter)?

From NFL.com's likely to be cut lists there seems to be a good deal of G cuts - anyone interesting?

Would it make sense to give Jake Long a spin if he is released?

What about Patrick Willis rumoured on the way out in SF? He looked on the way down last year, but so did Karlos Dansby in MIA - and he did quite well for ARI and CLE until his injury

That sucks.

If bush is cheap enough he could fill the role McCluser was supposed to.
Did something happen to McCluster I'm not aware of?
are you not aware that he sucks?
Well aware, thought maybe he'd been cut already. If it was me I'd cut both him and Greene ($6M savings between them) and sign Bush.

That sucks.

Well aware, thought maybe he'd been cut already. If it was me I'd cut both him and Greene ($6M savings between them) and sign Bush.
Bush is rumoured to cost 3.5m. How much more to land Lamar Miller?

There are still articles about the Eagles wanting to get Mariota and reuniting with his coach who adores him is one that makes sense. Ya gotta figure if Sanchez was your best QB and you're rumored to be interested in Locker, Mariota looks like gold. I don't think that trade idea goes away til after the draft.

Other than them I agree for the most part.

The Pats or Saints or someone with an old QB could surprise. I suppose the current standard for great QBs is to go from Manning to Luck, Favre to Rodgers. This seems very far-fetched though.

My issue is more that the value of the pick might be small-ie not RG3 or Eli type trade a bunch to get it but real small by comparison.

Leonard Williams could be construed as too small for 3-4 DT. He's 291-300 depending which site. The CBs are projected to go later, the tweener DE/OLBs start 8-10 depending on mocks, the top Ts are a bit later than usual. No one fits the Titans at 2 really.

IMO There's more of a need for them to trade down than for a team to trade up. It feels more like they need a suitor than team's clamoring over a chance to move up.

If they could somehow get two later 1sts, I'm sure people would be pleased with a CB and OLB. Top of 2nd seems well set up to take a top ranked G. At 2, the only certain type stud that could play day one seems to be Cooper. Even he is projected a little later but at least it's possible he could seem like a fine producer in time and thus a fine pick.
Would a player like Fletcher Cox (DT in 4-3, DE in 3-4, 1 year left on rookie deal) + Pick #20 + 2015 2nd + 2016 1st work for #2?

That sucks.

Don't think Miller is a FA. Do you mean Moreno? I'd rather have Bush or Spiller.

Spiller/Sankey could be a decent combo if he's not too expensive.

Would a player like Fletcher Cox (DT in 4-3, DE in 3-4, 1 year left on rookie deal) + Pick #20 + 2015 2nd + 2016 1st work for #2?
Add Foles and I'd do it but how often does a team trade from 1.02 to #20 even with a lot of other stuff added?

Add Foles and I'd do it but how often does a team trade from 1.02 to #20 even with a lot of other stuff added?
The only thing close is the Atlanta trade:

2011 1st, 2nd and 4th + 2012 1st and 4th to go from #27 to #6

The proposed deal is the same thing minus the 4th but it adds Cox.

Snotbubbles, my opinion is that the current GM and coach don't have the luxury of waiting for future drafts and have to win now. I think they'd be hesitant to make trades with future draft picks.

I would like to say this would mean they won't turn down a reasonable offer that included future picks but I'm not so sure.

Have to win now might be too strong-have to give hope now might be better wording

Last edited by a moderator:
That sucks.

Don't think Miller is a FA. Do you mean Moreno? I'd rather have Bush or Spiller.

Spiller/Sankey could be a decent combo if he's not too expensive.
My bad, I always confuse Miller and Ingram, don't know why. Anyway, I meant Mark Ingram

Snotbubbles, my opinion is that the current GM and coach don't have the luxury of waiting for future drafts and have to win now. I think they'd be hesitant to make trades with future draft picks.

I would like to say this would mean they won't turn down a reasonable offer that included future picks but I'm not so sure.

Have to win now might be too strong-have to give hope now might be better wording
The flip side of that is the value of players involved. They produce now. And Cox and Foles might be very interesting to the Titans brain trust

msommer said:
Bri said:

The flip side of that is the value of players involved. They produce now. And Cox and Foles might be very interesting to the Titans brain trust
I didn't see Foles. Despite my fondness for Mett, I do admit I'm intrigued by Foles.

The problem with any added QB is what if Mett beats them out.

You "can't" trade the 2 for a guy Mett beats out and you can't draft Mariotta if Mett will beat him out and....the number two pick or the guy they get in trade must produce right away IMO.

msommer said:
Bri said:

I didn't see Foles. Despite my fondness for Mett, I do admit I'm intrigued by Foles.

The problem with any added QB is what if Mett beats them out.

You "can't" trade the 2 for a guy Mett beats out and you can't draft Mariotta if Mett will beat him out and....the number two pick or the guy they get in trade must produce right away IMO.
The Titans should have a pretty good idea of Mett's talents. That's going to determine what they do. I mean you never know what will happen i suppose but have to make the decision and go forward.

Last edited by a moderator:
VandyMan said:
They might want to maybe get a decent running back first.
Yes. And a coaching staff that is committed to running. Whiz seems stubborn and is one year into that ridiculous 5-year contract. Terrible hire.
His pittsburgh teams were fine running units, he went to arizona and....not so much. I hope he's inclined toward pittsburgh. I thought drafting the top RB in the draft last year meant something though

VandyMan said:
They might want to maybe get a decent running back first.
Yes. And a coaching staff that is committed to running. Whiz seems stubborn and is one year into that ridiculous 5-year contract. Terrible hire.
His pittsburgh teams were fine running units, he went to arizona and....not so much. I hope he's inclined toward pittsburgh. I thought drafting the top RB in the draft last year meant something though
You mean first RB in the draft.

I didn't put much thought into it, but using the word top rather than best denotes ranking I think and....well I think we both know what I meant.

One effort, didn't seem to give the expected results or dedication to the run game

Tons of money and both Wilfork and Suh free agents now, Ngata can't seem to work out a deal with the Ravens....make a splash Titans, make a splash

Byron Stingily should be re-signed. They can't afford to let a cheap backup that can play both T spots and G leave. He's exactly the type of backup they need

Users who are viewing this thread