What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** TNF - Patriots (-6.5) vs. Falcons (47 o/u) *** (1 Viewer)

The last one wasn’t Rosen
Good call, I saw the awful throw to a wide open defender and just assumed. My bad. 

Jeez, travdogg, did a guy named Rosen have relations with your wife? You are...unhappy with his performance. 
No(at least I don't think so...) I just hate when a guy keeps getting chances despite looking incompetent in the best of times, throughout his career. There have to UDFA's or guys who get cut from practice squads or preseason cut down guys better than that.

To get off on a slight rant, I will never understand why teams don't try way harder at backup QB. Its arguably a more important position that a lot of your starters. Its like having a Ferrari, and then not having car insurance. If I were a GM I would draft a QB every single year, even if I didn't need one, because the position is that important. Much like the 90's Packers did. 

Getting waaaay ahead of things BUT if the Patriots win another SB with Belichick and Brady doesn't win another one, they'll each have one without the other. What does that do to the "who deserves more credit' argument?

They're 7-4 with a rookie QB, so this could happen in the next couple years. 

Oh man, guy in my league has NE defense on bench for the Titans D.

I left NE on the bench for Cleveland.  Liked both of their matchups but went with Cleveland since they were at home. 

Please don't let me lose by <20 points or whatever the gap ends up being.

I mean, he's better right now(probably while wearing a suit) than 2 of the guys who threw passes tonight.
I know I could have done better than Rosen and Franks, and I am 54 and fat.  I would've taken 3 knees, then punted, like they did on The Waterboy.

Let's see how this team is the rest of the year.  The next 4 games look interesting with the Titans, Bills twice, and the Colts at Indy.   I must say their defense looks very good, but beating up on teams like the Falcons, Jets,  and Browns.......

Let's see how this team is the rest of the year.  The next 4 games look interesting with the Titans, Bills twice, and the Colts at Indy.   I must say their defense looks very good, but beating up on teams like the Falcons, Jets,  and Browns.......
I'll give you the Jets...

But the Falcons beat 4 teams this year ...

Browns with 5 wins... and Pats weren't huge favorites here 

I think the team is legit now that the O-line is playing better.

Curious what NEs yds per carry was last night. Seemed like a lot.

I'll give you the Jets...

But the Falcons beat 4 teams this year ...

Browns with 5 wins... and Pats weren't huge favorites here 

I think the team is legit now that the O-line is playing better.

Curious what NEs yds per carry was last night. Seemed like a lot.
4.5 YPC. Falcons had 3.2 yards per play for the game. 

Three quarterbacks in one game throwing a pick has to be a record. 
Maybe tied a record. BTW, Chris Brown was a RB.

>>The Falcons are the first team since the 2009 Texans to have 3 players throw an interception in the same game (Matt Schaub, Rex Grossman, Chris Brown).

The last team to have 3 QBs throw an interception in a game was the 2000 Chargers (Ryan Leaf, Jim Harbaugh, Moses Moreno). <<

https://twitter.com/ESPNStatsInfo/status/1461552196747620353?t=j7KsurgJNCLWzBnzHA6wZg&s=19

There's something to be said for actually beating the teams you should beat. A lot of teams seem to be struggling with that this year...

There's something to be said for actually beating the teams you should beat. A lot of teams seem to be struggling with that this year...
I am waiting for the defense to come down to earth. Over their past 3 games, the NE defense has scored more points than the opposition's offense. The Pats are on a run of scoring 70 points unanswered. I am not that great on football rules, but from what I can tell, it's tough to lose when you don't allow any points. Obviously they won't keep winning games by 25 points (their average margin of victory across their 5 game winning streak) and will start allowing more than 4 points a game (their average over their last 3 games). The question will be do they only start to allow scores in the teens . . . or do they have a breakdown and give up 38 points in a couple games.

The Pats and Bills have the two best defences  in the league, these two upcoming match ups will be fun. 
Is Buff defense actually that good? They have played Ben (looks awful) and four backups in Heinicke, Brisset, Mills and White. All 5 of those teams are in the bottom 10 for points for game this year and they played MIA twice.

They did keep the KC offense under control but that hasn't been hard this year. The only other top 10 offense they played this year was Ten and they gave up 34 points and lost. 

Is Buff defense actually that good? They have played Ben (looks awful) and four backups in Heinicke, Brisset, Mills and White. All 5 of those teams are in the bottom 10 for points for game this year and they played MIA twice.

They did keep the KC offense under control but that hasn't been hard this year. The only other top 10 offense they played this year was Ten and they gave up 34 points and lost. 
Buffalo's pass defense is legit.  It remains to be seen how the perform against the run in the second half of the schedule year.

This year's Bills team potentially looks like the 2019 Patriots. Unbelievable numbers against inexperienced QBs and weak opponents. But that was mostly smoke and mirrors and against better teams they were good but not elite.

The 2021 Bills team has done very well when forcing turnovers, which led to the offense to score a lot of points. But when they don't force turnovers, they are very mortal. They are 2-2 when they allowed 20 points this year.

Turnovers forced in 6 wins: 5, 5, 4, 3, 3, 2
Turnovers forced in 3 losses: 0, 1, 1
Turnovers forced in 2020 in 4 losses: 0, 1, 1, 2

In 2021, 5 of their 6 wins have come against Jacoby Brissett, Taylor Heinicke, David Mills, Tua Tagovailoa, and Trevor Lawrence. The 2019 Patriots started off 8-0 and beat the likes of Ryan Fitzpatrick, Luke Falk, Colt McCoy, Daniel Jones, Sam Darnold, and Baker Mayfield.

Yes, the Bills have been a very good defensive unit so far. But like NE was that season, let's see if they can sustain that level of dominance across the rest of the season against a tougher slate of teams. I'm not suggesting the Bills won't be good down the stretch, only that they probably won't look superhuman and they look like they could have several more losses. It wouldn't shock me if they went 5-3 the rest of the way. I would guess a loss to NE and TB. And then another loss somewhere else.

To get off on a slight rant, I will never understand why teams don't try way harder at backup QB. Its arguably a more important position that a lot of your starters. Its like having a Ferrari, and then not having car insurance. If I were a GM I would draft a QB every single year, even if I didn't need one, because the position is that important. Much like the 90's Packers did. 
The Eagles do -- and you can understand why, since they won a SB with a backup. Now, nobody really understands it, and freaks out when they do things like draft Hurts. 

One reason is that proven NFL QBs with starting experience fashion themselves as starters and don't really want to be backups. Some of them have been to the money tree and gotten starter's money and won't really be willing to take back up money.

That also ties into how much a team is willing to spend at the QB position. If a team is already shelling out $30 million to the starter, they aren't going to want to pay much for a back up. Similarly, a team with a highly touted young QB on a cheap rookie contract is not likely to be attractive to one of the passed over ex-starters if the starting gig seems unreachable. 

The third issue for owners is a lot of the experienced guys that lost starting jobs are on the market because they weren't very good. So would teams want to pay low end starter money (or above scale backup money) to a below average player?

So what ends up being available are guys like Bridgewater, Winston, Foles, Trubisky types. Do any of those scream I GOTTA GET THAT GUY?

1940-41 Chicago Bears might hold the record at 88.

Can New England score 19 unanswered?
I doubt it. They play the Titans next. Seems like a situation where NE could cough up the ball on their side of the field and the Titans kick a FG to end the streak (even if they don't allow the Titans to advance the ball). Starting in Week 2, TEN has scored 23+ points in every game.

Say what you want about the Titans winning the past two weeks without Henry and Julio, but they went from averaging 377 yards per game on offense to 229 yards per game. I think the door is open for NE to beat TEN, but I don't think the Pats keep the shutout streak going for long.

One reason is that proven NFL QBs with starting experience fashion themselves as starters and don't really want to be backups. Some of them have been to the money tree and gotten starter's money and won't really be willing to take back up money.

That also ties into how much a team is willing to spend at the QB position. If a team is already shelling out $30 million to the starter, they aren't going to want to pay much for a back up. Similarly, a team with a highly touted young QB on a cheap rookie contract is not likely to be attractive to one of the passed over ex-starters if the starting gig seems unreachable. 

The third issue for owners is a lot of the experienced guys that lost starting jobs are on the market because they weren't very good. So would teams want to pay low end starter money (or above scale backup money) to a below average player?

So what ends up being available are guys like Bridgewater, Winston, Foles, Trubisky types. Do any of those scream I GOTTA GET THAT GUY?
I was also talking about drafting a QB every year(ala 90's GB) just to throw a dart and maybe hit on a guy, whio can be a solid backup, future starter, or future trade bait. 

I do think there should have been a lot of demand for Winston, Foles, Trubisky. I can't believe nobody wanted to deal for Foles at the trade deadline, especially a contender. 

I was also talking about drafting a QB every year(ala 90's GB) just to throw a dart and maybe hit on a guy, whio can be a solid backup, future starter, or future trade bait. 

I do think there should have been a lot of demand for Winston, Foles, Trubisky. I can't believe nobody wanted to deal for Foles at the trade deadline, especially a contender. 
It may not have been financially possible for Foles to have been moved (without some roster gymnastics). IIRC, he was due close to $7 million this year, so a team would have had to have the cap space to acquire him. Not many teams had much cap space, and his new team would have been on the hook for other guarantees, roster bonuses, and incentives. Bottom line, not many contending teams were flush with cap space.

As far as drafting dart throws, I guess that is a viable strategy if a team wanted to invest time in trying to develop someone, but like GB found with Love, even being a first round pick, without actual playing time it's tough to rely on unproven players. But it's tough to endorse and sign off on a Day 1 or 2 draft pick on a QB if you already have one that is successful, and later round picks not named Dak or Brady rarely pan out (even as back ups). Overall, it's tough to find competent starters, let alone back ups.

Users who are viewing this thread