What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

To Brees or not to Brees, that is the question (at Seattle) (1 Viewer)

JuniorNB

Footballguy
I think a lot of owners will be faced with this question this coming week. Brees' numbers on the road are very pedestrian this year. And Seattle will be his most daunting road task yet. Audibles will be virtually impossible. Anyone thinking of benching Brees this week?

I think a lot of owners will be faced with this question this coming week. Brees' numbers on the road are very pedestrian this year. And Seattle will be his most daunting road task yet. Audibles will be virtually impossible. Anyone thinking of benching Brees this week?
That's a clown question bro

If other options were available I might consider it - but when there is only dreck on the waiver wire it is better just to roll the dice.

Think about it - say he throws 250 with a td and an int. HORRIBLE by his standards.

How much better would you expect from -

Clemens @ SF

Tannehill @ NYJ

Flynn @ Det (if Rodgers isn't back and Flynn supplants Tolzien)

Fitzgerald @ Ind (not bad depending on which Indy team shows up)

or

Manuel v Atl (who I think have gotten better with the recovery of Weatherspoon)

My guess is those are the types you might find floating on the wire. Just don't see how you coul djustify benching Brees for any of them.

If other options were available I might consider it - but when there is only dreck on the waiver wire it is better just to roll the dice.

Think about it - say he throws 250 with a td and an int. HORRIBLE by his standards.

Clemens @ SF

Tannehill @ NYJ

or

My guess is those are the types you might find floating on the wire. Just don't see how you coul djustify benching Brees for any of them.
Did you see what Glennon did to that pathetic Detroit secondary yesterday? I could see 300 and 3 TDs for Flynn on Thursday.

Clemens @ SF

Tannehill @ NYJ

or

Did you see what Glennon did to that pathetic Detroit secondary yesterday? I could see 300 and 3 TDs for Flynn on Thursday.
Not saying he couldn't do it - but it is a short week; we have no info on if he will be the starter. What I am driving at is if I had a mid-tier option available for Brees I might consider benching Brees. But, this late in the seasonn you really need to avoid overthinking things. Lets say Seattle gets up early - Brees will be slinging it.

Don't be stupid. Like a previous poster pointed out, a stinker by Brees is 250 yards and a score. A stinker by most other qbs, which happen quite frequently to me for some reason, is 120 yards with no tds.

To finish my thought - if someone like Luck, Rivers or that tier was available...then I might consider benching Brees - but in all honesty even then I'd probably stick with Brees under the theory you dance with the girl that brung you.

Isn't Seattle's secondary banged up? Browner is out, and so is his backup. I think they are starting a special teamer at DB this week.

I woudlnt bench

hoepfully you have playoff spot clinched. Could be worse could be @seattle week14

Carolina is no picnic either, but at least its at home week14

Hey guys - I'm benching Jamal Charles against Denver next week. Even though he is averaging a gazillion points per week, I'm scared after what they did to him last week, plus the beat down they put on Ridley and Blount. I'm rolling with Donald Brown instead bc I think he'll score two TD's against Tenn again.

To finish my thought - if someone like Luck, Rivers or that tier was available...then I might consider benching Brees - but in all honesty even then I'd probably stick with Brees under the theory you dance with the girl that brung you.
I have Rivers. I can't imagine (even after the week Rivers had) sitting Brees. Rivers is at Cincy, so that's a pretty bad matchup as well.

Here are the fantasy points allowed to QBs in Seattle's 5 home games this season:

Kaepernick- 13.7

Henne- 9.4

Fitzpatrick- 10.1

Glennon- 18.6

Ponder/Cassel 20.0

Not exactly playing Brees/Manning-level opponents.

I guess the fact that Glennon threw two TDs and Ponder/Cassel 2 TDs is a good sign for Brees.

Look I think we all feel as if Brees has been great this year, OVERALL.

Weekly he's been consistently getting owners somewhere in the 20+ point range.

He's had 4 exceptional games where he's gotten in the 40's for owners and won that weekly game for owners.

That said, he has some TOUGH matchups with SEA and CAR(x2). I know you never bench your studs, but you

must lower your expectations for him in these critical weeks or you'll be dissapointed.

250 yds and 1 td in my league is 16 points. That doesn't cut it for me looking to make it into the playoffs and then going anywhere in the playoffs. I'm going to grab Big Ben or Palmer off the wire and have other options.

Look I think we all feel as if Brees has been great this year, OVERALL.

Weekly he's been consistently getting owners somewhere in the 20+ point range.

He's had 4 exceptional games where he's gotten in the 40's for owners and won that weekly game for owners.

That said, he has some TOUGH matchups with SEA and CAR(x2). I know you never bench your studs, but you

must lower your expectations for him in these critical weeks or you'll be dissapointed.

250 yds and 1 td in my league is 16 points. That doesn't cut it for me looking to make it into the playoffs and then going anywhere in the playoffs. I'm going to grab Big Ben or Palmer off the wire and have other options.
You are going to be very upset when breed drops 40 or 50. I'm not sure Ben or Palmer are capable of that. A bad game for Brees is a solid game for the 2 you mentioned. I get it about matchups I really do, but unless you have Rodgers or Peyton Brees has to be in your lineup. Everyone just take a step back and think about this for a second.

They may try to use their rbs more than usual in this game. Thomas has looked good and ingram has at times. I would prob still play him as he's as good a bet to get 3 tds as anyone. ...

Still think so...bro?
Haha it was a Bryce Harper quote not a big deal. You were right this week. I'll stick with Brees every week that's why I drafted him. Players have bad games and Brees' bad game was mostly due to the matchup so hopefully you started someone better. I'll stick with the strategy of never sit your studs. I didn't mean to offend you with my comment. I hope it paid off for you.

Still think so...bro?
even though Brees is at home, I think Carolina will limit him some. Maybe more like the sanfran game than the Seattle game

tough matchups for Drew for sure

Still think so...bro?
even though Brees is at home, I think Carolina will limit him some. Maybe more like the sanfran game than the Seattle game

tough matchups for Drew for sure
Yeah, I think I'm going with Foles against Detroit. Two weeks ago, Brees was supposed to light up Atlanta and only managed two first half TD passes. I don't trust him against Carolina. He's not playing well at all right now.

I missed this thread earlier, but I wound up starting Foles over Brees this week. Obviously I'm pretty happy with the outcome. I really just wanted to say that I'm very disappointed that the thread title isn't "Drew Brees or not Drew Brees". I would have thought that was the obvious way to go. You're letting me down, Junior. :(

;)

I missed this thread earlier, but I wound up starting Foles over Brees this week. Obviously I'm pretty happy with the outcome. I really just wanted to say that I'm very disappointed that the thread title isn't "Drew Brees or not Drew Brees". I would have thought that was the obvious way to go. You're letting me down, Junior. :(

;)
Dammit! Another missed opportunity. I'll get your confidence in me back.

;)
Dammit! Another missed opportunity. I'll get your confidence in me back.
Pro tip: beer.

I was wrong about the Seattle game but anyone that sits Brees at home in a prime time game is on drugs. I don't care if they play the 85 Bears Brees in the dome in a night game is fantasy money. I haven't looked at it but I'm guessing his stats in those games are astronomical and some of those games were against legit teams. Especially after being embaressed look for a HUGE bounce back game from Brees and the Saints. Good luck for those of you sitting Brees this week.

I was wrong about the Seattle game but anyone that sits Brees at home in a prime time game is on drugs. I don't care if they play the 85 Bears Brees in the dome in a night game is fantasy money. I haven't looked at it but I'm guessing his stats in those games are astronomical and some of those games were against legit teams. Especially after being embaressed look for a HUGE bounce back game from Brees and the Saints. Good luck for those of you sitting Brees this week.
Considering you ridiculed the thought of benching him at Seattle and said anyone who did would be 'upset when he drops 50 or 60', I don't think anyone's taking your advice real seriously.

As always, the answer to the question "should I sit Brees?" is always the question "for whom?" Unless you have Brees ranked as your #1 fantasy QB this week, then Brees is not unbenchable.

Considering you ridiculed the thought of benching him at Seattle and said anyone who did would be 'upset when he drops 50 or 60', I don't think anyone's taking your advice real seriously.
That's fine I'm not an expert. I think most people on this board would agree with me that you should never sit Brees. If you want to play that guessing game all year go ahead it's your team. I wasn't ridiculing you as I said before it was a joke. You called it right this week great job. Why waste a 1st or 2nd round on someone to sit them based on matchups? Never sit your studs.

That's fine I'm not an expert. I think most people on this board would agree with me that you should never sit Brees. If you want to play that guessing game all year go ahead it's your team. I wasn't ridiculing you as I said before it was a joke. You called it right this week great job. Why waste a 1st or 2nd round on someone to sit them based on matchups? Never sit your studs.
It all depends who your backup is. If your backup is Eli Manning or Blaine Gabert, then you're right. If it's Nick Foles or Phillip Rivers, it makes no difference where you drafted Brees. Check the stats over the last three games. Foles and Rivers should have been the choice. Also, a 'stud' against Dallas isn't necessarily a stud against Seattle or Carolina. I'm generally a proponent of the play your studs theory, but to ignore matchups altogether is just silly and a recipe for fantasy failure.

Turns out the girl that brought me to the dance was a cheating whore.

It all depends who your backup is. If your backup is Eli Manning or Blaine Gabert, then you're right. If it's Nick Foles or Phillip Rivers, it makes no difference where you drafted Brees. Check the stats over the last three games. Foles and Rivers should have been the choice. Also, a 'stud' against Dallas isn't necessarily a stud against Seattle or Carolina. I'm generally a proponent of the play your studs theory, but to ignore matchups altogether is just silly and a recipe for fantasy failure.
Who are your studs? Who makes that designation? Once a player is labeled a stud, can they ever lose that label? Do you only draft a bench for bye weeks and injuries?

I guess I just don't understand allowing some arbitrary label be the standard for how a lineup is set. To me, it is just a way to make owners feel better. If they sit their 'stud' and he blows up on the bench, everyone goes nuts. But if you ignore every other factor and he scores 2 points in your lineup and you lose, everyone just says "hey, you always start your studs". It is a way of rationalizing lineup decisions to remove responsibility from the owner and place it on some stone tablet etching that Moses brought down from the mountain.

Who are your studs? Who makes that designation? Once a player is labeled a stud, can they ever lose that label? Do you only draft a bench for bye weeks and injuries?I guess I just don't understand allowing some arbitrary label be the standard for how a lineup is set. To me, it is just a way to make owners feel better. If they sit their 'stud' and he blows up on the bench, everyone goes nuts. But if you ignore every other factor and he scores 2 points in your lineup and you lose, everyone just says "hey, you always start your studs". It is a way of rationalizing lineup decisions to remove responsibility from the owner and place it on some stone tablet etching that Moses brought down from the mountain.
I understand what you are saying. The one league I own Brees in is a 6 point per td pass league. I drafted him 6th overall and didn't waste another roster spot on a qb. I guess a stud to me would be a guy I drafted in the first or second round that is capable of having a huge week no matter the matchup. My qb position is set for the year I don't have to do any second guessing about that position and every year about 12 out of 16 weeks he is a great start. I'm not trying to pick and choose the weeks he is going to lay an egg. His matchup against Seattle sucked I was fully aware of that. His matchup against Atlanta the week before was a great matchup and he didn't have a great game fantasy wise. Was anyone in here asking wether or not to start or sit Peyton against the number 1 defense in the league at KC? It was a terrible matchup for Peyton especially since he didn't have a good game fantasy wise 2 weeks prior to that at home. I shot down the idea of sitting Brees I was wrong I looked like an idiot and the people that were right came in here and gloated about it I understand.

I haven't looked at it but I'm guessing his stats in those games are astronomical and some of those games were against legit teams.
Motorcycle Cop: Do you know what the penalty for animal cruelty is in this state?

Clark Griswold: No, sir, I don't.

Motorcycle Cop: Well...it's probably pretty stiff.

Who are your studs? Who makes that designation? Once a player is labeled a stud, can they ever lose that label? Do you only draft a bench for bye weeks and injuries?I guess I just don't understand allowing some arbitrary label be the standard for how a lineup is set. To me, it is just a way to make owners feel better. If they sit their 'stud' and he blows up on the bench, everyone goes nuts. But if you ignore every other factor and he scores 2 points in your lineup and you lose, everyone just says "hey, you always start your studs". It is a way of rationalizing lineup decisions to remove responsibility from the owner and place it on some stone tablet etching that Moses brought down from the mountain.
I understand what you are saying. The one league I own Brees in is a 6 point per td pass league. I drafted him 6th overall and didn't waste another roster spot on a qb. I guess a stud to me would be a guy I drafted in the first or second round that is capable of having a huge week no matter the matchup. My qb position is set for the year I don't have to do any second guessing about that position and every year about 12 out of 16 weeks he is a great start. I'm not trying to pick and choose the weeks he is going to lay an egg. His matchup against Seattle sucked I was fully aware of that. His matchup against Atlanta the week before was a great matchup and he didn't have a great game fantasy wise. Was anyone in here asking wether or not to start or sit Peyton against the number 1 defense in the league at KC? It was a terrible matchup for Peyton especially since he didn't have a good game fantasy wise 2 weeks prior to that at home. I shot down the idea of sitting Brees I was wrong I looked like an idiot and the people that were right came in here and gloated about it I understand.
It was not my intention to pile on or cherry pick a week that proves a particular point. My post was meant more to the masses because I see this quite often, "never sit your studs" is one of the precepts of a lot people here. I agree with what you are saying and I think we are a lot closer in actuality than it might first seem.

I enjoy drafting my team, but I do so in order to hopefully present myself with strong point gathering options under a variety of future outcomes. No one on my team is above being benched or traded or dropped. I like to take a look at as much data as I can each week to decide what to do. Some might say I over think things and they may well be right, but I try to make the best decisions on all of my players with the information I have at hand at that time.

Sorry if the intent of my post was unclear. Personally, I don't think a one week data point is enough to prove any theory, right or wrong.

Zaphod said:
JShare87 said:
Zaphod said:
It was not my intention to pile on or cherry pick a week that proves a particular point. My post was meant more to the masses because I see this quite often, "never sit your studs" is one of the precepts of a lot people here. I agree with what you are saying and I think we are a lot closer in actuality than it might first seem.I enjoy drafting my team, but I do so in order to hopefully present myself with strong point gathering options under a variety of future outcomes. No one on my team is above being benched or traded or dropped. I like to take a look at as much data as I can each week to decide what to do. Some might say I over think things and they may well be right, but I try to make the best decisions on all of my players with the information I have at hand at that time.

Sorry if the intent of my post was unclear. Personally, I don't think a one week data point is enough to prove any theory, right or wrong.
It's all good I perfectly understand where everyone is coming from. I didn't mean to upset NB with my comment just trying to be funny. Good luck to everyone and I think we can all agree we are lucky to have Brees on our teams.

Users who are viewing this thread